closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: UFC 279

UFC 279

Anyone watching Diaz's last ever (supposedly) fight tonight? Card looks decent enough.

Favourites? Predictions? Upsets?

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I'll be watching it, Diaz for me

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

What an absolute s**t-show, makes MMA look like an amateur sport with how this has all panned out. For the past couple of days Dana's face has been that shade of pink when it's best not to poke the bear. Chimaev might find his route to the top has just become a little longer and harder.

HOWEVER, Nate vs Tony is a f**king dream come true, the whole card has changed for the better. I wasn't intending on watching this show live, no real desire to see Nate Diaz murdered by Chimaev but it's absolutely a must-see now. No matter who wins the main event neither man will lose any points with the fans or with the UFC.

I think Kevin Holland has a good chance with Chimaev if the weight cut has caused any issues. It's a big opportunity for Holland to stop the hype train and really catapult himself upwards

And the Leech, gotta love that guy, he's taken one on the chin to make this happen.

The Leech being a legend:

https://youtube.com/shorts/dFXlF6jLZCc?feature=share

* I hope if you're reading this thread you get the reference.

Yea you can imagine Dana's delight at what he's had to deal with. I can never understand how at this level the guys can't meet weight, rookie error really. From what I understand Diaz never really has done weightcuts, that combined with all his triathlons shows why he can make a 5 round fight and keep swinging.

Agree it's worked out better, now to place some bets ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    The Leech being a legend:

https://youtube.com/shorts/dFXlF6jLZCc?feature=share

* I hope if you're reading this thread you get the reference.
    love it

Not sure why Tony is maintaining that hair colour mind, distraction tactic?

Quote Originally Posted by jakesblue View Post
    love it

Not sure why Tony is maintaining that hair colour mind, distraction tactic?

Tony is going to do Tony things, it's easiest just to go on the ride with him instead of trying to understand why.

Craftsman
    Had no idea the card had changed until I saw this thread. Should be a great fight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I feel like we missed the pleasure of a Tony vs Diaz full build up. Both guys are fairly nonsensical at the beat of times. But going off on each other in press conferences would have been comedy gold.

I think it's a much better lineup. Nate and Tony are natural lightweights.

Chimaev is a middleweight and will likely move to that class soon.

That said, 7lbs is a disgrace in any weight class.

In the main event, we will find out which guy has lost the most to Father Time.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    In the main event, we will find out which guy has lost the most to Father Time.
    I think it's Tony. Nate can still go flat out for 5 rounds, Tony has lost that little edge in speed. He was broken against Gaethje and the knockout from Chandler was as destructive as anything ever seen, it's got to be a big psychological barrier to laying it all on the line again.

Chimaev vs Holland, holy s**t, that was 2 minutes of beautiful chaos. Chimaev's wrestling is not of this world.

Diaz vs Ferguson, I don't even know what I've just seen! So unconventional from both guys, Ferguson seemingly willing to break his own leg to land those kicks and Diaz taking half the fight off and in the other half looking like he wasn't even landing anything worthwhile yet busting Tony up.

Classic Nate Diaz finish, barely looking interested then a sudden flurry and snatching a neck!

It's hard not to feel for Ferguson who surely needs to admit defeat now. 12 wins in a row followed up by 5 damaging losses, it's tough to see a fan favourite get battered time after time.

Master
    Chimaev vs Holland, holy s**t, that was 2 minutes of beautiful chaos. Chimaev's wrestling is not of this world.
    Truly spectacular, never seen anybody man handle his opponent so effortlessly so early in a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    Truly spectacular, never seen anybody man handle his opponent so effortlessly so early in a fight.
    Bobby Knuckles next.

I thought it was chickenshit of Chimaev to fake a touch of gloves to take "unfair advantage." That's my take.

I thought it was chickenshit of Chimaev to fake a touch of gloves to take "unfair advantage." That's my take.
    Not sure if I saw a glove touch, but the rules are very much "protect yourselves at all times". Chimaev is definitely going through his villain arc with all this weight cut stuff though, wouldn't put it past him!

+1 I thought exactly the same.

Holland taken down when he wasn't expecting it then was out wrestled. I'd imagine his game plan was to avoid the early takedown so probably frustrated that it came that way.

Diaz vs Ferguson, I don't even know what I've just seen! So unconventional from both guys, Ferguson seemingly willing to break his own leg to land those kicks and Diaz taking half the fight off and in the other half looking like he wasn't even landing anything worthwhile yet busting Tony up.

Classic Nate Diaz finish, barely looking interested then a sudden flurry and snatching a neck!

It's hard not to feel for Ferguson who surely needs to admit defeat now. 12 wins in a row followed up by 5 damaging losses, it's tough to see a fan favourite get battered time after time.
    Gotta love both of them. Great fight and glad it wasn't Diaz vs Chimaev in the end, would've been a shame to see Diaz leave UFC on a loss which no doubt would have been highly likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsan View Post
    I think it's a much better lineup. Nate and Tony are natural lightweights.

Chimaev is a middleweight and will likely move to that class soon.

That said, 7lbs is a disgrace in any weight class.
    Would've liked to have seen Dana go harder on people like Chimaev not hitting weight by that much, should've been dropped from the card and hit with a penalty IMO. No doubt he's on Dana's shitlist - and probably Dana's cashcow list too

Yeah, I don't like a fake glove touch either but I don't think he ever indicated he was going to touch gloves. Often you'll see one fighter raise a hand prior to the fight and the other one nods in acceptance but that didn't happen here. Holland naively walked towards him with his hand raised and Chimaev went for the kill as he was always going to. Defend yourself at all times, I think this one is on Holland.

Connor always raised a hand, but it was never to touch gloves.

Master
    Yeah, I don't like a fake glove touch either but I don't think he ever indicated he was going to touch gloves. Often you'll see one fighter raise a hand prior to the fight and the other one nods in acceptance but that didn't happen here. Holland naively walked towards him with his hand raised and Chimaev went for the kill as he was always going to. Defend yourself at all times, I think this one is on Holland.
    I will have to go back and rewatch as I really didn't get that from my first time of watching. I don't think Holland had much of a chance in any case, taking the fight at such short notice meant he was always up against it.
    Last edited by tango; 11th September 2022 at 16:37.

Quote Originally Posted by jakesblue View Post
    Would've liked to have seen Dana go harder on people like Chimaev not hitting weight by that much, should've been dropped from the card and hit with a penalty IMO. No doubt he's on Dana's shitlist - and probably Dana's cashcow list too

Chimaev was a bad matchup for Holland and Nate.

I'm happy that Nate gets to finish his contract on a win. I hope he goes out as a legend and retires now, rather than what has happened to Tony.

If the original match had been allowed to stand, I think Nate would still be in A&E!

IIRC the cap is 30% of the purse as a penalty, I think it should be more like 50%. To many of these guys, ranking is more important than the purse.

Ah didn't realise there was a penalty, that's good.

Hardly a pot worth gloating about but it does at least cover a few months of BT Sport :)