closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Whose buying the iPhone 14 pro (max)?

Craftsman
    My lad took me a ' tour ' of his 14 yesterday. Unsure which model but all i could really tell was there is a different bit on the top of the screen and he can zoom in on the fence at the bottom of the garden way better than his old iphone.

Quote Originally Posted by EmilA View Post
    Thank you, it’s as I expected then. Think I’ll wait till the next release before changing.
    I'd suggest gathering a few opinions before concluding. I think the Pro models had quite significant upgrades, even if they look nearly the same.

The 'dynamic island' is quite a significant change to user experience. It's excellent how they've integrated this into the software.

Apple have used a 12mp sensor since the iPhone 6S, so the move to a 48mp sensor which is also physically larger and sports more optical zoom settings than before, is quite significant. Better low light, better resolution (even when binning down to 12mp), better range.

Always on display is nice but like others I'm not entirely convinced, mainly because of the glow at night. I imagine they'll improve it with software updates.

Crash detection could be a literal life saver. Probably not, but if you ever need it you'll be very glad it's there.

Battery and chip improvements will give an all round better experience.

Screen brightness better than ever, market leading 2,000 nits which is more than 60% brighter than the iPhone 13 Pro.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    I'd suggest gathering a few opinions before concluding. I think the Pro models had quite significant upgrades, even if they look nearly the same.

The 'dynamic island' is quite a significant change to user experience. It's excellent how they've integrated this into the software.

Apple have used a 12mp sensor since the iPhone 6S, so the move to a 48mp sensor which is also physically larger and sports more optical zoom settings than before, is quite significant. Better low light, better resolution (even when binning down to 12mp), better range.

Always on display is nice but like others I'm not entirely convinced, mainly because of the glow at night. I imagine they'll improve it with software updates.

Crash detection could be a literal life saver. Probably not, but if you ever need it you'll be very glad it's there.

Screen brightness better than ever, market leading 2,000 nits which is more than 60% brighter than the iPhone 13 Pro.
    The camera is really impressive, especially coming from a 12 mini to the standard sized pro.

Agree with the always on screen at night, but to be fair that is my only negative about it. I have to turn it to face down. Oh and the weight vs the mini!

The dynamic island has been well executed, and will no doubt evolve further in the coming years. All in all, a very capable phone.

Agree. New 14 Pro has definite improvements...the big ones for me in day-to-day use are a noticeable speed improvement, brighter screen and better camera. Dynamic island is also a really nice touch. At the end of the day, you aren't going to be doing anything new with this that you can't already do with a 13 Pro, but I certainly didn't regret upgrading.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    The camera is really impressive, especially coming from a 12 mini to the standard sized pro.

Agree with the always on screen at night, but to be fair that is my only negative about it. I have to turn it to face down. Oh and the weight vs the mini!

The dynamic island has been well executed, and will no doubt evolve further in the coming years. All in all, a very capable phone.
    First two nights I didn't like this. Get around it by putting my AW in sleep mode, when about to sleep...this also puts the phone in sleep mode and the display goes off...if you don't wear AW, then I assume you can just click sleep on the phone and it will dim to black the AOD.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    First two nights I didn't like this. Get around it by putting my AW in sleep mode, when about to sleep...this also puts the phone in sleep mode and the display goes off...if you don't wear AW, then I assume you can just click sleep on the phone and it will dim to black the AOD.
    Wow, thank you. I do not have an AW but this sorted it out for me via Focus > Sleep. Cannot believe I didn’t think about it before hand. Feel like a tech fool!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Wow, thank you. I do not have an AW but this sorted it out for me via Focus > Sleep. Cannot believe I didn’t think about it before hand. Feel like a tech fool!
    No worries, I believe you can possibly also schedule it to come on every day at the same time if you wish.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    No worries, I believe you can possibly also schedule it to come on every day at the same time if you wish.
    Yes, and this is exactly what I have now done.

Seems that part didn’t transfer from prior phone, or might have been ditching the AW which was perhaps the main driver.

Master
    My XS is dying, the battery is on its last legs so wandered into the apple store in mk to enquire about an upgrade. Met a jobs bot with vacant expression who was baffled that I dared to walk into their domain without an appointment. Even with this spectacular lack of customer service I’m still ordering a 14 pro max as I use android for work and utterly hate it.
    Also I’m quite invested in iOS apps so chopping over to droid would be costly.

Craftsman
    The POV I have is the cost to change worth the extra features. At the moment I can’t justify it but one day I may wake up and think I need it ha

I am enjoying my upgrade to the 14 Pro from my old 11 pro but to be honest I reckon I could have gone another year or two before needing to upgrade.

There is really no need anymore to upgrade on a yearly or even bi-yearly apart from having the most up to date model. Functionally the improvements are minor for everyday living.

I just upgraded from an iPhone 11 plus to the iPhone 13 plus - the launch of the 14 kind of caught me off guard. One thing I’ve noticed with the 13 though is that imho the camera is vastly inferior to the 11 which is odd to me. It’s meant to have improved but the 11 was always razor sharp and the 13 seems to be just all round poorer. Is the 14 the same I wonder?

The 14 Pro camera is a lot better than the 12 Pro I upgraded from. I’ve tried a couple of RAW photos (at 48 mpixels) and there is so much detail in them.

Craftsman
    Too big can’t fit it in my pocket

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    My XS is dying, the battery is on its last legs so wandered into the apple store in mk to enquire about an upgrade. Met a jobs bot with vacant expression who was baffled that I dared to walk into their domain without an appointment. Even with this spectacular lack of customer service I’m still ordering a 14 pro max as I use android for work and utterly hate it.
    Also I’m quite invested in iOS apps so chopping over to droid would be costly.
    Same here, but still thinking should I just pay the £68 for a new Apple battery and keep my XS max for another year…

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I just upgraded from an iPhone 11 plus to the iPhone 13 plus - the launch of the 14 kind of caught me off guard. One thing I’ve noticed with the 13 though is that imho the camera is vastly inferior to the 11 which is odd to me. It’s meant to have improved but the 11 was always razor sharp and the 13 seems to be just all round poorer. Is the 14 the same I wonder?
    I'm assuming you mean the 11 pro max to the 13 pro max. The plus model is new this year to the 14 range.

The 13 camera is far superior to the 11, it's been extensively tested, if you're finding the opposite I wonder if you have a dud? I assume you've tried the obvious (giving the lenses a wipe). If you're still getting blurry images then I'd suggest getting Apple to check it under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchmanuk4 View Post
    Too big can’t fit it in my pocket
    Have you considered buying trousers with bigger pockets?

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    That doesn’t sound right - my 13 pro’s camera is incomparable to my sons 11, light years ahead in terms of the photos it produces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another good feature of the iPhone 14 Pro is that it can have up to 8 (I think) eSims loaded to it simultaneously. You can only have 2 active at any one time but multiple eSim profiles can be stored and turned on/off. Useful if you have a few different sim cards you use. I have two sims but am in the middle of transferring contracts so its been useful for the overlap.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Another good feature of the iPhone 14 Pro is that it can have up to 8 (I think) eSims loaded to it simultaneously. You can only have 2 active at any one time but multiple eSim profiles can be stored and turned on/off. Useful if you have a few different sim cards you use. I have two sims but am in the middle of transferring contracts so its been useful for the overlap.
    Think iPhones from XS onwards can also store at least eSIMs

Another useful feature, depending on network, is the ability to covert physical to eSIM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post

Another useful feature, depending on network, is the ability to covert physical to eSIM.
    Ah...I didn't realise you could store more than two sims on previous iphones but it seems you could.

As a slight aside, I'm wary of eSims for primary usage. I use eSims for additional services, but not core - this is after a very recent experience of needing to move sims from one device to another in order to transfer lots of accounts after my primary phone went kaput. I dread to think what moving an eSim from a dud phone to another would be like at short notice, when you need to authenticate banking, emails, online services etc.? Looking online it can require you to deactivate the eSim on your old device first before you can move it over; obviously that's not possible if the phone no longer works. With a physical sim, you can just pop it out and into another and regain access to your accounts etc.

Anyone know what it's like to solely use eSims when things go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    As a slight aside, I'm wary of eSims for primary usage. I use eSims for additional services, but not core - this is after a very recent experience of needing to move sims from one device to another in order to transfer lots of accounts after my primary phone went kaput. I dread to think what moving an eSim from a dud phone to another would be like at short notice, when you need to authenticate banking, emails, online services etc.? Looking online it can require you to deactivate the eSim on your old device first before you can move it over; obviously that's not possible if the phone no longer works. With a physical sim, you can just pop it out and into another and regain access to your accounts etc.

It's not the SIM card that is being used to authenticate you, it's the phone number. Therefore presumably you could log in to your network provider and get them to issue you a new e-Sim on your current number, to solve that scenario.

It's not the SIM card that is being used to authenticate you, it's the phone number. Therefore presumably you could log in to your network provider and get them to issue you a new e-Sim on your current number, to solve that scenario.
    If you could log in to the network provider, presumably could also authenticate banking and other online services too, so the poster's problem would be a non-issue.

If you could log in to the network provider, presumably could also authenticate banking and other online services too, so the poster's problem would be a non-issue.
    That's dependent on two things, firstly having some means of access to your network provider either through WiFi or someone else letting your user their mobile device's network connection (because you no longer have non-wifi access as your mobile network access is stuck with your eSIM in your old phone) and secondly not having 2FA for logging into your network provider's system, because that 2FA will be going to your other device (either authenticator, SMS etc.)

Naturally, both of these are entirely possible, but both would be mitigated by just having a physical SIM you can swap across instead of the added barriers created by an eSIM.

I am of course catastrophising. But it was hard enough recently to get access to my accounts when on holiday when my phone stopped working with a physical SIM.

^^^ Yes, I'm agreeing with you!

I solely use esims. Never had a phone fail on me since I’ve owned mobile phones for 25 years. The only time I’ve had issues is when setting up esims. I had one that didn’t activate correctly but the process of switching also disabled my physical sim. Just went into the shop and got another and the issue was instantly fixed.

Just upgraded from a 12 to 14 pro, and am delighted so far. Speed (120hz refresh very noticeable) and photo quality improvements excellent, and the Dynamic Island works incredibly well for app management.

^^^ Yes, I'm agreeing with you!
    Understood, I wasn't quite sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I solely use esims. Never had a phone fail on me since I’ve owned mobile phones for 25 years. The only time I’ve had issues is when setting up esims. I had one that didn’t activate correctly but the process of switching also disabled my physical sim. Just went into the shop and got another and the issue was instantly fixed.
    You have far better fortune than me. Fortunately not had one nicked before, but had this one die and dropped another...it did not survive the fall!

As I mentioned previously, eSIMs have been great for travelling, but I'm not yet sold on the complete conversion. Great that yours have worked so well though, that's good to hear.

I just logged into Virgin Mobile with zero need for my phone. I can't do that with my bank.

That's dependent on two things, firstly having some means of access to your network provider either through WiFi or someone else letting your user their mobile device's network connection (because you no longer have non-wifi access as your mobile network access is stuck with your eSIM in your old phone) and secondly not having 2FA for logging into your network provider's system, because that 2FA will be going to your other device (either authenticator, SMS etc.)

Naturally, both of these are entirely possible, but both would be mitigated by just having a physical SIM you can swap across instead of the added barriers created by an eSIM.

I am of course catastrophising. But it was hard enough recently to get access to my accounts when on holiday when my phone stopped working with a physical SIM.
    I think this is looking for a problem rather than there really being one to be honest. Phones very rarely die, and if it happens it's hard to believe in 2022 you wouldn't be able to access the internet through other means in relatively short order (I mean you had to have another device in the scenario). A far more common scenario would be losing a phone, and a physical sim suddenly begins to look like a less attractive proposition there.

I'm not touting eSIM as an essential, in fact I still have a physical sim in my phone as the advantages aren't big enough to bother changing, but I think we'll all be on eSIM within a few years.

I just logged into Virgin Mobile with zero need for my phone. I can't do that with my bank.
    Ok, but doesn't help poster with a dead phone.

BTW recently used Airalo eSIM abroad. Disadvantage for me was that it can only be used for data and there is no associated telephone number which can be essential for some local services.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 6th October 2022 at 21:17.

Ok, but doesn't help poster with a dead phone.
    I assumed you were referring to the need for a phone number to access the service.

If you're just referring to general internet connectivity, then we're limiting the scenario to a very odd set of circumstances. For eSim to be the issue, the person with the dead phone (very rare) would need to have no access to WiFi for their new phone or any other internet connected device (very rare), even though they've had to go and buy a new phone in this scenario to put the physical sim in and there's WiFi all over the place (was there a global outage or was he shopping for his new phone in a desert?). I just struggle to see this as a plausible issue.

However per my last comment, I very much can see the challenge of losing a phone along with the physical sim, where you're now waiting for a new sim to come through the post (and of course you have to magic up internet connection or a phone line to order the new one, so surely if that's a problem for the eSim scenario it's equally a problem here).

eSim is the future, it's bizarre we still keep small pieces of plastic in our phone to connect to our phone number. Can you imagine doing that with email? It's a change for the better IMO.

BTW recently used Airalo eSIM abroad. Disadvantage for me was that it can only be used for data and there is no associated telephone number which can be essential for some local services.
    OK but that's a specific product you got from a specific carrier and not something general to eSims. Every new iPhone in North America is eSim only, I assure you they have telephone numbers.
    Last edited by M1011; 6th October 2022 at 21:26.

OK but that's a specific product you got from a specific carrier and not something general to eSims. Every new iPhone in North America is eSim only, I assure you they have telephone numbers.
    Yes, I know eSIMs haven telephone number, thanks for the assurance anyway. I've had an EE one myself (and was a right pain when my phone died).

Don't believe Airalo is a carrier but, anyway, using an eSIM for travel has been mentioned several times in this thread and was posting a warning that buying a 'foreign' eSIM for travel here might not be an ideal solution, that's all.

Yes, I know eSIMs haven telephone number, thanks for the assurance anyway. I've had an EE one myself (and was a right pain when my phone died).

Don't believe Airalo is a carrier but, anyway, using an eSIM for travel has been mentioned several times in this thread and was posting a warning that buying a 'foreign' eSIM for travel here might not be an ideal solution, that's all.
    OK but I've lost track of what debate we're having at this point, pretty sure it wasn't about travel.

The physical sim card will disappear soon, it's just a relic of a different time. eSIM options will become plentiful and switching your sim to travel will become very simple. It's a clear evolution.

OK but I've lost track of what debate we're having at this point, pretty sure it wasn't about travel.
    No, you’ve been side tracked, it’s about whose (sic) buying the phone.

No, you’ve been side tracked, it’s about whose (sic) buying the phone.
    With respect, I replied to a specific comment about eSims and authenticating services when a phone breaks down. So no.