closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whose buying the iPhone 14 pro (max)?

Master

Whose buying the iPhone 14 pro (max)?

Got an old Galaxy S8 so time to change maybe. Guess I could throw out my old LUMIX compact camera as this would maybe be better too. Apparently you can make phone calls too….

Blog Entries
    Not me!
    Happy with my iPhone 11 Pro. Whilst I accept that the 14 Pro is a improved model, I am certainly not prepared to upgrade to this new Apple phone at their grotesquely inflated current prices!

After roughly 10 years as an iPhone user I've just picked up an S22 Ultra and I must say, it feels leaps ahead in many ways. While I still prefer the iOS UX and UI, the S22 has a lot of things I didn't realise I was missing - best one for me is the work profile that allows me to containerise all my work apps.

I think the idea that the iPhone 14 won't have a physical SIM tray would put me off too.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

I am. Pre ordered getting it next month.

If the 14 is out, it must be about time for me to upgrade to a 12
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Purely out of interest, I did have a quick look to see what had changed and I can’t remember seeing any killer feature upgrade that made me think it was a ‘must have’ (certainly over an iPhone from the last 2 or 3 iterations).

I’m sure it’s a great piece of kit but guess it comes down to what you want to do with it and how much you’re prepared to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Purely out of interest, I did have a quick look to see what had changed and I can’t remember seeing any killer feature upgrade that made me think it was a ‘must have’ (certainly over an iPhone from the last 2 or 3 iterations).

I’m sure it’s a great piece of kit but guess it comes down to what you want to do with it and how much you’re prepared to spend.
    +1

I quite like the new dynamic island thing feels like a nice way to do multitasking (I can't quite get used to multitasking in android), but that'll be in the last few iterations of iPhones anyway.

New cameras I'm sure will be good and better battery life handy. I'm intrigued by the watch ultra too.

Master
    First time in many years i’m not remotely interested in updating my 12 pro. Prices seem mental to me and i’m not paying.

I have a 12 Pro and won't be upgrading this year. I will probably do so next year if Apple, as expected, moves to a USB-C charging port. Other considerations for me:

• The emergency message via satellite is a good feature for me as someone who spends quite a bit of time in remote areas.
    • Always-on display nice to have but not a killer feature for me
    • Constant improvements in the camera/s is always welcome
    • With the demise of the iPod I will probably have to go with a far larger capacity iPhone to hold all the audiobooks
    Last edited by Skier; 10th September 2022 at 19:53.

Based on the non scientific unenthusiastic feedback on this thread, maybe time to sell Apple shares if you have any.

Master
    I have an iphone pro max and a pro on order for collection 16th purple and black.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    I have an iphone pro max and a pro on order for collection 16th purple and black.
    One for each hand?

Ordered one for the wife (pro max)
    Last edited by ryanb741; 10th September 2022 at 13:28.

Craftsman
    I’ve just ordered mine, coming from a 2nd gen SE I’m expecting some nice new to me features, I’m mostly looking forward to the far superior camera and the noticeably bigger screen. I’ll have to wait about four weeks though.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Not me. Got the 2nd gen SE and I don't want anything bigger.

All these bigger phones are great but I want something to fit easily into a shirt or trouser pocket. The SE2 was stretching things a bit. Suppose it's different if you've got a 'man bag' or carry it round in your hand.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Must say if I get one it’d need to be the max as the old eyesight isn’t what it used to be. The old 13 pro is £150 less but of course the updates won’t last as long as a new model. Price seems comparable to the Samsung Ultra but not small change. Maybe Apple think of the UK as treasure island.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Based on the non scientific unenthusiastic feedback on this thread, maybe time to sell Apple shares if you have any.
    NEVER sell Apple shares. Just call me Mick.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    One for each hand?
    No to replace my 13 pro max and pro that I currently have. I need coverage so have two different networks for mobile coverage. Three contract in the car as that generally get coverage every where.

SydR
    Quote Originally Posted by jakesblue View Post

I think the idea that the iPhone 14 won't have a physical SIM tray would put me off too.
    The lack of physical SIM tray is for the USA market only. It will be sold elsewhere with one.

Craftsman
    Ordered the 14 Pro for wifey and I will have a 14 pro max at some point in the near future.
    We are part of the Apple Army.
    Just remembered she will be wanting to get the latest Apple Watch too.
    Suppose it’s less money for me to spend on watches
    Regards
    V

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jakesblue View Post
    After roughly 10 years as an iPhone user I've just picked up an S22 Ultra and I must say, it feels leaps ahead in many ways. While I still prefer the iOS UX and UI, the S22 has a lot of things I didn't realise I was missing - best one for me is the work profile that allows me to containerise all my work apps.

IOS 16 will have focus mode (https://www.tomsguide.com/features/i...a-game-changer) that allows for better differentiation but not quite that separation.

The iPhone 14 eSim only is US at present. But I'd wager money on this being across all phone in a couple of years. Saves on sim card landfill (I bet it all mounts up) and simplifies delivery once companies get their processes in place. Seems a bit hit and miss currently in the US one company it is a slick app you download and it adds it whilst At&T you go in store and scan a QR code.

Craftsman
    On the fence at the moment. Currently have 11 pro. Will wait for some unbiased reviews to come out.

Journeyman
    No and only just moved to an XR from a 7. Even that feels a tad large.

Not me. I got an iPhone 13 pro max about six months ago, and although it was a drastic improvement on my galaxy s9, I can't see myself upgrading until the battery starts to fail like it did on the s9.

Nope, bought a new iPhone 12 a few months ago. That works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Linc View Post
    On the fence at the moment. Currently have 11 pro. Will wait for some unbiased reviews to come out.

^^^^this^^^*

Master
    I skip some numbers out. I went from a 5 to an 8 to an 11.

I like to think I’m beating the system by doing this and saving money - whereas reality is I’ve been sucked into the Apple world never to escape

I have a 14 Pro on order, upgrading from a 12 Pro. I’m in a two year cycle at the moment, as the resale value is still decent and two years of incremental benefits is more noticeable.

The Dynamic Island is a fun curiosity to play with.
    Two years of camera upgrades will be appreciated, especially with young kids. Improved low light photos and better ‘action’ shots in the moment will improve the quality of those pics you only get to take once.
    Everything else is iterative and nice to have.

For me, much like watches for many people, there is also a pleasure in owning the experiencing the latest technology. That in itself is something I’m willing to pay for, but I appreciate others would think the opposite.

I'll be upgrading to an iPhone 7 - my target is Latest / 2.

I’ve put in for a pre-order, I’ve held out for a while now for a complete elimination of the notch/pill and through the screen Touch ID, but it’s increasingly looking like it’s not going to happen.

Coming from the XS Max, the camera upgrade is the biggest thing for me.

Not me.

Cheers,

Adam.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    No to replace my 13 pro max and pro that I currently have. I need coverage so have two different networks for mobile coverage. Three contract in the car as that generally get coverage every where.
    Why not use the dual sim functionality and stick to one phone?

I have ordered a pro max. Island looks a gimmick but will be a step up vs. notch setup.

Always on Display is main upgrade reason plus as mentioned above cost of change at two years probably not hugely different to three years when considering trade in value of the outgoing phone.

I like both iOS and Android, but the Pixel 6 didn’t impress me so stuck with my iPhone 12 Pro Max for the last 2 years (before that I had a Pixel and before that a Samsung). I’m going to pick up the iPhone 14 Pro now.

Main selling point for me was the camera upgrades, my wife’s is already noticeable better than mine (she has the 13 pro) and this new version has a considerably bigger sensor, better processing, better low light, more megapixels when needed, more optical zoom, some sweet action cam stabilisation etc. There’s some other cool upgrades in there, like the big increase in max screen brightness (1200 vs 2000), the DI which seems really well integrated vs the previous notch, crash detection etc, but none of that would be enough to upgrade so it’s really the camera that entices me.

I’m choosing to downsize to the regular pro model this time over the max personally. I do like the screen size for watching videos, but in all else I prefer the size of the normal version - just fits the hand much better for me. I went for the 12 pro max over the 12 pro as it was functionally better (bigger camera sensor), but no such discrepancy for the 14 pro vs max, so that made the choice straightforward for me this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidd View Post
    First time in many years i’m not remotely interested in updating my 12 pro. Prices seem mental to me and i’m not paying.
    Presumably it’s a maximum of two years, given the release date of the 12?

Not a chance. On the 13 Pro and good another 12-24 months.

The trick used to be to get every second iPhone but now I think it's every 3-4.

No, can't see me going back to Apple.

Cheers,

Adam.

I can't see me ever buying a Rolex either, but I don't comment on every Rolex thread about it. 👍

Fishing expedition?

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I skip some numbers out. I went from a 5 to an 8 to an 11.

I like to think I’m beating the system by doing this and saving money - whereas reality is I’ve been sucked into the Apple world never to escape
    I went 11 to 13 pro and it was a noticeable upgrade. I genuinely think it’s better to upgrade an iPhone every 3 years or so, than have an Android phone and upgrade more often. Sure, they’re cheaper but the updates are a bit of a shambles I’m comparison and I found they never last more than 18 months without getting glitchy or losing support. Plus resale on iPhones is better. Ymmv of course. Can’t see any reason to upgrade from 13 pro to 14 pro.

Craftsman
    I am tempted because of the camera upgrade from my 12 Pro but I think I’ll wait until next year

Whose buying the iPhone 14 pro (max)?

Been waiting for a decent enough update of the tech and from an 11 Pro to 14 Pro, I think this is a decent enough jump that is worth upgrading. However, I reckon the 11 Pro has at least another 2-3 years in it so I am handing it down to my son!

Have a Purple 14 Pro 256Gb on pre order. Also in Europe it still has a sim tray but like the idea of having an eSim for roaming now that Brexit has buggered that all up!

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    IOS 16 will have focus mode (https://www.tomsguide.com/features/i...a-game-changer) that allows for better differentiation but not quite that separation.

The iPhone 14 eSim only is US at present. But I'd wager money on this being across all phone in a couple of years. Saves on sim card landfill (I bet it all mounts up) and simplifies delivery once companies get their processes in place. Seems a bit hit and miss currently in the US one company it is a slick app you download and it adds it whilst At&T you go in store and scan a QR code.
    Lack of sim card would certainly put me off. Very handy for travelling and can’t see worldwide adoption and simple transfer of esims within next decade.

Blimey. I'm still running an 8 Plus

Sim try is a must , so much cheaper for when abroad.

Will order the 14 pro but not pro max. Have an 11 Pro max and its too big

Craftsman
    Still running an iPhone 8. Tempted by the iPhone 14, mainly for the better camera. Is it worth the extra for the iPhone 14 Pro?

Lucky for me I get my iPhone 13 paid for by work.

However, if I was forking out my own hard earned, there is no way I would shell out £1.2k, and would settle for a £200 Android device that seems to do everything, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I went 11 to 13 pro and it was a noticeable upgrade. I genuinely think it’s better to upgrade an iPhone every 3 years or so, than have an Android phone and upgrade more often. Sure, they’re cheaper but the updates are a bit of a shambles I’m comparison and I found they never last more than 18 months without getting glitchy or losing support. Plus resale on iPhones is better. Ymmv of course. Can’t see any reason to upgrade from 13 pro to 14 pro.
    Personally, I've never had an Apple phone, always Android. Obviously I have friends and family that have iPhones but I'm not sure I'm on board with your shambles shout. Currently have a 3.5 yr old Pocophone F1 from new and can't see anything more I'd like a phone do.
    As for updates, the Google OS's are less frequent but I've never found them not to work for me, at all.
    And who considers resale value when buying a phone ? Use 'em til their dead then buy another, it's hardly big dollars ...

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Personally, I've never had an Apple phone, always Android. Obviously I have friends and family that have iPhones but I'm not sure I'm on board with your shambles shout. Currently have a 3.5 yr old Pocophone F1 from new and can't see anything more I'd like a phone do.
    As for updates, the Google OS's are less frequent but I've never found them not to work for me, at all.
    And who considers resale value when buying a phone ? Use 'em til their dead then buy another, it's hardly big dollars ...
    I had a Galaxy Note 2 in 2014, it was superb and lasted many years until the battery failed. I replaced it with a Galaxy S9 in 2018, everything was slower and less intuitive/useful, and I wish that I had bought a Note 9. That was replaced this year with a iPhone 13 Pro Max, again due to battery failure, it took some adjustment, but I would say it's significantly better than the S9.

For my next phone I might try another Android but actually go into a shop and try it first as it seems that the software experience can be quite different depending on the hardware.

It used to be that you got a iPhone for £500, but it would cost you £250 for a decent Android phone.

Now iPhone’s are over a bag of sand and yet you can still get bloody good Android phones for £250, or less.

Apple will always rely on its die hards, but many kids are coming though that have only ever known Android as Apple has been too expensive.

I predict the slow decline of Apple with the change in demographics

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    We’re all different - I find apple more intuitive and it all just works. I think it’s worth trying out both ecosystems. And if you’re using a phone until it dies that’s fine, but I’ve always chopped on my last phone for a newer one after about 3 years and with iPhones they are still worth enough to make it worthwhile. £1000 is fairly big dollars isn’t it?

Master
    I’ve looked at it and considered it but I think for the first time in a long while I’m happy enough it’s my current android to stick with it, which as a serial flipper is odd for me.

I’ll likely move from my XS, but undecided on Pro vs Pro Max at present

although as the 15 is likely a USB C, I might wait until next year
    It's just a matter of time...