closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whose buying the iPhone 14 pro (max)?

Cool

New 14 Pro due at the end of next week and it’ll replace my 13 Pro Max.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Think will wait it out until it gets USB-C as rumoured next year. Having a iPad Pro and MacBook Air it still drives me nuts changing cables when travelling. Besides my iPhone 12 max Pro still runs great

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Not me!
    Happy with my iPhone 11 Pro. Whilst I accept that the 14 Pro is a improved model, I am certainly not prepared to upgrade to this new Apple phone at their grotesquely inflated current prices!
    You know how much that pound has dropped against the dollar in the time since the iPhone 11 came out?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Think will wait it out until it gets USB-C as rumoured next year. Having a iPad Pro and MacBook Air it still drives me nuts changing cables when travelling. Besides my iPhone 12 max Pro still runs great
    EU directive is planned to force phone manufacturers to standardise on port types by end of 2024 - to USB-C and standardise on fast-charging options. This is to stop the excessive waste caused by current manufactures using propietory leads (looking firmly at you Apple). Even Apple has moved to USB-C on most of its new products, Pads, MacBook. In the words of Monty Python - "it's getting very silly" sticking to lightning ports for only a few of their products.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/6/7/23...ghtning-ewaste

Makes sense to me. Even apple chargers have USB-C output now.

I'm sticking to my 12 pro max. And looking forward to iOS 16 in a few days time though.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jakesblue View Post

I think the idea that the iPhone 14 won't have a physical SIM tray would put me off too.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Only US models. Outside US still get a physical SIM slot.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

I spent £50 on a new battery for my X(10) and I can't see me upgrading until such as the 12 pro becomes cheap (£200 ish) :)

I like the iPhones but I use very few of the features available as I don't need them.

Master
    Decided to buy the Pro Max - moving away from Samsung as I use the iPad a lot and obviously the iPhone syncs well with it + better camera. Trade in values better with Apple too. Not best pleased with E-sim and prefer two physical slots but too bad I’ll live with it.

Master
    I have a 13 pro max which is awesome.

I get a 14 pro max this week purely because the tarif I’m on through work gives me a new model on realease.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    I just use a MagSafe Duo Charger when I travel and I have another couple of MagSafe connectors for home and a MagSafe car charger for when using hire cars abroad. Love it now took me about 18 months to change ny attitude to MagSafe.

I’ll stick with my 12 Pro Max until next year - if I’m still here

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    You know how much that pound has dropped against the dollar in the time since the iPhone 11 came out?
    This. Though I saw a worked example of the cost comparison taking into comparison state taxes and VAT that showed the actual £ vs $ unit price was about $20 more now in reality.

Whose buying the iPhone 14 pro (max)?

Worth keeping for a 3 year cycle
    Use the 2 year pay monthly deal as with inflation it actually works out better a and interest free to pay for phone and airtime then Go sim only for a year to recoup some of your outlay before biting the bullet and starting again but sell your old phone for about 40% of its value .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Will upgrade from the 12 mini to the 14 pro, can’t imagine the pro comfortable in my pocket when seated without removing it & placing on a dining table. I like the small format of the mini, but look forward to the much improved camera / lenses on the new 14.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are a few significant tech changes that make me want a new iPhone. One was the move to OLED screens. The satellite capability of the 14 does appeal, and it would make more sense to upgrade from my current 12 to a 14 than buy something like a Garmin Inreach mini to go alongside my 12.

Quote Originally Posted by Pan16520 View Post
    Worth keeping for a 3 year cycle
    Use the 2 year pay monthly deal as with inflation it actually works out better a and interest free to pay for phone and airtime then Go sim only for a year to recoup some of your outlay before biting the bullet and starting again but sell your old phone for about 40% of its value .

^^^ pretty much this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    The satellite capability of the 14 does appeal
    It’s worth bearing in mind that the satellite messaging feature will only work in the USA, and parts of Canada, for the foreseeable.

Collected my 14 Pro earlier and am setting it up now with a direct copy from my 12 Pro. I was 10 minutes early for my collection at the Apple Store and just walked in. I was the first in line and was there less than 10 minutes. I’ve never seen an Apple Store so quiet on iPhone release day.

Craftsman
    Anyone used the upgrade programme? Can’t really figure out the benefits. Appears you’re just leasing the phone endlessly until you decide you don’t want to upgrade and keep hold of the phone you have.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Based on the non scientific unenthusiastic feedback on this thread, maybe time to sell Apple shares if you have any.
    You could have said that for the last few years - wouldn't have been a wise move though

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Linc View Post
    Anyone used the upgrade programme? Can’t really figure out the benefits. Appears you’re just leasing the phone endlessly until you decide you don’t want to upgrade and keep hold of the phone you have.

It’s essentially that.

You pay 30 quid a month or whatever the fee is forever and the result is you can a shiney new phone every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Collected my 14 Pro earlier and am setting it up now with a direct copy from my 12 Pro. I was 10 minutes early for my collection at the Apple Store and just walked in. I was the first in line and was there less than 10 minutes. I’ve never seen an Apple Store so quiet on iPhone release day.
    Wouldn’t read much into that given preorders were backlogged by over a month queue before release. Not much point people queuing in a shop that has nothing to sell, collection only given they were all sold online.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    It’s essentially that.

You pay 30 quid a month or whatever the fee is forever and the result is you can a shiney new phone every year.

You don't have to just rent it. You can just take the 0% for 20 months and let inflation be a discount.

Looks like they're up £100 from last year though. £1.2k for the cheapest Pro Max. Can buy an M2 MBA or iMac for that or almost two Mac Minis. Mental.

Craftsman
    I’ve pretty much changed for the latest phone every year since the iPhone 6 however this year I’m struggling to justify it. I usually buy them out right but the cost to change is too great

iPhone 13 Pro Max users who made the change, be good to get your feedback on the new one please

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    You don't have to just rent it. You can just take the 0% for 20 months and let inflation be a discount.

Looks like they're up £100 from last year though. £1.2k for the cheapest Pro Max. Can buy an M2 MBA or iMac for that or almost two Mac Minis. Mental.
    Mental indeed but no more than many overpriced watches - and they’re more versatile. Tell the time too….

Master
    Seems some early adopters are experiencing severe autofocus shake with some apps, causing the whole phone to vibrate. Not a good start….

A guy from The Verge described the 13 Pro as a finished thought and the 14 Pro as a new sentence.

He said if you want a glimpse at where apple is going and are happy to ignore some rough edges go for it but if you just want a solid great phone which works and will last -and you're on the 11 pro or earlier- just get the 13 Pro

Seems a fair assesment to me.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    The iPhone 14 eSim only is US at present.
    eSims are a nightmare. You can't swap them, reset them or reuse them.

I switched to vodafone with one ended up going back to a normal one within a couple of days.

The idea is good, but the implementation and support is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    eSims are a nightmare. You can't swap them, reset them or reuse them.

I switched to vodafone with one ended up going back to a normal one within a couple of days.

The idea is good, but the implementation and support is terrible.
    Think an iPhone (at least) can store multiple eSims and activate each as required.

Agree can't swap between devices but not difficult to get another - usually just go into EE store.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EmilA View Post
    I’ve pretty much changed for the latest phone every year since the iPhone 6 however this year I’m struggling to justify it. I usually buy them out right but the cost to change is too great

iPhone 13 Pro Max users who made the change, be good to get your feedback on the new one please
    Being brutally honest not noticed much difference apart from the obvious. Battery life is better on both pro and max. Screen is great the pill/island I now fixate on it where before I was used to the recess.

Screen is clearly better always on display at the moment is a gimmick imho. I have turned it off, camera seems better; raw is great. However I rarely shoot raw.

I only use the default camera app so can’t comment on the the jitter issues. It’s an evolution rather than anything ground breaking.

I use esims I buy of the internet as I travel so nice to have the ability along with a physical sim.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I see the sim tray / physical sims already gone in the USA iPhone 14's. Guess this means we are likely on borrowed time and maybe on the iPhone 15 we won't have them in UK.

I use an esim and just leave the sim tray empty. Can get a new esim qr code on Vodafone instantly through the portal. Not really any effort.

I have found O2 no real trouble with an eSIM although they are not as conveneient when swapping phones as a physical SIM.

The one lesson I did learn is not to delete the old eSIM until they have activated the new one as they send a text message to confirm which you can't get.

One of the benefits is meant to be if a phone is stolen they can't just toss the SIM card to prevent it being tracked.

Master
    Yes I will buy one, but not just yet. Skint after moving house.

Master
    The change over for me was very easy. I had an esim ready from EE. But didn’t need to scan anything or do anything. I started the new phone and restored from previous and it simply asked if I wanted to transfer the old number and I clicked yes and it was done. Still haven’t got my head around how that happened as the old phone had the old physical sim still in it and working up to that point. So the esim code they sent me remains unused.

O2 was more of a challenge mainly due to their call centre messing me around but that’s a different story.

So far 14 is good. I like the island thingy and the AOD I am getting used to! Not as well executed as some others I have seen but I guess they will improve it over time.

Screen and camera feel a decent improvement. Some other nice features just not sure if that is due to software update or the 14 itself (for example allowing you to time when you send an email).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Think an iPhone (at least) can store multiple eSims and activate each as required.

Agree can't swap between devices but not difficult to get another - usually just go into EE store.
    The new ones can hold 8 esims and can auto switch depending on coverage and signal availability for when you are travelling which sounds pretty useful. At the end of the day all phones will go this way now due to the savings on using physical sims.

The biggest problem with eSIM’s at the moment, is the network operators documentation and guides are terrible. The actual process isn’t too bad, but you’re left guessing.

Vodafone told me to scan the old QR code they sent me before. That’s wrong and doesn’t work.

I found out by accident that if you remove the eSIM from the old phone, it generates a new QR code which arrives soon after by email. Nowhere does Vodafone’s website say that.

What makes that dumb is you can’t login to your account during the process as it sends you a two factor code by SMS, which you can’t record you’ve just deactivated and removed your SIM!

If I knew this all in advance it would have been a five min process and pain free.

Craftsman
    I popped into Apple today to buy one and the salesperson advised me to stick with my 13 Max as I wasn’t using enough of the features to warrant upgrading. Nice to meet someone who listens to your needs and then advises accordingly rather just selling you the latest gadget !!

Quote Originally Posted by Highroller1 View Post
    I popped into Apple today to buy one and the salesperson advised me to stick with my 13 Max as I wasn’t using enough of the features to warrant upgrading. Nice to meet someone who listens to your needs and then advises accordingly rather just selling you the latest gadget !!
    Either that or he hasn't got a 14 to sell

Whose buying the iPhone 14 pro (max)?

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Either that or he hasn't got a 14 to sell
    It's part of their sales training. Helps build trust and increases lifetime spend as a result.

Same when you're buying a laptop and they convince you not to go for a ram/processor/storage upgrade or higher model.

You think what great guys, that's amazing. And then average upgrade cycle of a Mac goes from 6 years to 4 and you've already told 50 people the story and forget the duration when you're next upgrading thinking "these used to last longer" and "at least I saved money not going for the upgrade last time and don't need to go for it this time either".

Rinse and repeat.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 28th September 2022 at 11:49.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jakesblue View Post
    After roughly 10 years as an iPhone user I've just picked up an S22 Ultra and I must say, it feels leaps ahead in many ways. While I still prefer the iOS UX and UI, the S22 has a lot of things I didn't realise I was missing - best one for me is the work profile that allows me to containerise all my work apps.

I think the idea that the iPhone 14 won't have a physical SIM tray would put me off too.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk
    iOS 16 lets you make any number of home pages tied to whatever focus you like including relevant widgets immediately available from Lock Screen. Works for me.

SWMBO has come back to Apple after 10 years on Android and got an iPhone 14 Pro and she loves it. Very nice, but not enough to tempt me to upgrade from a 13 Pro, which is still an excellent phone; even better with IOS 16.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by A440 View Post
    Still running an iPhone 8. Tempted by the iPhone 14, mainly for the better camera. Is it worth the extra for the iPhone 14 Pro?
    The guys at Payette Forward* said that the jump from 13 to 14 not enough to justify cost. The recommended upgrade to a 13 pro is a better option.

*decent YouTube reviewers particularly on getting most out of settings. Very useful advice on latest iOS 16.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    It's part of their sales training. Helps build trust and increases lifetime spend as a result.

Same when you're buying a laptop and they convince you not to go for a ram/processor/storage upgrade or higher model.

You think what great guys, that's amazing. And then average upgrade cycle of a Mac goes from 6 years to 4 and you've already told 50 people the story and forget the duration when you're next upgrading thinking "these used to last longer" and "at least I saved money not going for the upgrade last time and don't need to go for it this time either".

Rinse and repeat.
    Totally agree my 2018 iPad Pro had stopped speaking to the folio keyboard so I booked an appointment, expecting nothing could me done and I’d have an excuse to get latest IPad and Magic Keyboard.

He took folio through the back to check and give I a good clean did the same with iPad - didn’t fix it. Then tried a hard reset and bingo!

Fortune saved (which I think will be spent on upgrade to AirPod pro v2s). Can anyone vouch for the quality of the microphone for phone calls? Any wireless headphones or buds have been useless for calls imho.

Seems like not many people are not upgrading.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...half-2022.html

Usual sensational list headline from the Daily Heil.

Blog Entries
    I've had iphones since day dot in Apple world and currently on 13 Pro Max which is fantastic

However, first time away for three years and needing a break I have opted to ditch my 13 (business and personal) and use a burner Oppo Reno8 5G Lite (cheers Karl) for total removal and I'm loving the whole Android thing for a change. Is iOS nicer.......... I think so but I will never snobby dis Android again.

The whole Apple thing is very clever

Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    I've had iphones since day dot in Apple world and currently on 13 Pro Max which is fantastic

However, first time away for three years and needing a break I have opted to ditch my 13 (business and personal) and use a burner Oppo Reno8 5G Lite (cheers Karl) for total removal and I'm loving the whole Android thing for a change. Is iOS nicer.......... I think so but I will never snobby dis Android again.

The whole Apple thing is very clever

Pitch
    I contemplated making a break a few years ago and switching to a Google Pixel (moved a lot of my subscriptions away from apple...ie Apple Music to Youtube Music, Apple Photos to Google Photos and a Google One-Drive plan. Unfortunately, their handsets never got good reviews and I didn't do it. I've now just accepted my fate as being locked into apple.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I contemplated making a break a few years ago and switching to a Google Pixel (moved a lot of my subscriptions away from apple...ie Apple Music to Youtube Music, Apple Photos to Google Photos and a Google One-Drive plan. Unfortunately, their handsets never got good reviews and I didn't do it. I've now just accepted my fate as being locked into apple.
    Certainly not a permanent thing for me buddy but it has made a nice change, a bit like pissing in the shower or drinking beer.

Would recommend giving it a try

Pitch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Seems like not many people are not upgrading.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...half-2022.html

Usual sensational list headline from the Daily Heil.
    They are upgrading but to the Pro models only which are on back order.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Certainly not a permanent thing for me buddy but it has made a nice change, a bit like pissing in the shower or drinking beer.

Would recommend giving it a try

Pitch
    https://bestlifeonline.com/news-pee-shower-stop/

Blog Entries

So pissing on the roses is a no no as well??

Feck I love this place

Pitch

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    Being brutally honest not noticed much difference apart from the obvious. Battery life is better on both pro and max. Screen is great the pill/island I now fixate on it where before I was used to the recess.

Screen is clearly better always on display at the moment is a gimmick imho. I have turned it off, camera seems better; raw is great. However I rarely shoot raw.

I only use the default camera app so can’t comment on the the jitter issues. It’s an evolution rather than anything ground breaking.

I use esims I buy of the internet as I travel so nice to have the ability along with a physical sim.
    Thank you, it’s as I expected then. Think I’ll wait till the next release before changing.