closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help from PC Gurus requested

Master

Help from PC Gurus requested

Hi... Have lost two hours already this morning on something that is raising my blood pressure and need some expert advice. I am trying to install a piece of kit called "Colormunki Smile" and three quarters of the way through the installation I am hitting a snag, something I have never seen before. This is the error message...

" Service. 'X-Rite Device Services Manager' (xrdd.exe) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient priveleges to start system services. " then there are two boxes to select, either RETRY or CANCEL. Clicking on RETRY just puts me straight back to this flash screen. Clicking CANCEL takes me right out of the installation program. I tried closing the machine down and restarting on two separate occasions but got the same result.

Now I am the only user on this machine and I am the administrator so can't understand why the program seems to think that I have insufficient privilege to install software. The machine is quite high spec running Windows 10 with 16GB memory and there is plenty of hard drive space.

As I say this is something new to me and I've never had any issues getting programs installed sio welcome any guidance. Thanks in advance

Rob

Try running as administrator?

Silly question, is the Windows version you have registered and up dated ?
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Have you tried submitting a tech support request or seeing if they have a support forum. Could be a buggy version.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Try running as administrator?
    +1

Assuming you trust whatever it is you're installing, right click on the installer and click run as administrator. I wonder what system services it's trying to start...

If that doesn't appear there's another way to do it through command prompt but shouldn't be necessary.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Master
    Thanks, all.

Running as administrator didn't help. My Windows 10 is a legit upgrade from Win7 which came down the line direct from Microsoft and has been updated automatically several times. so I'm confident it's bona fide and current The software is on the original installation disk from Xrite. One error message I got is: " The code execution cannot proceed because XRiteDevice.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem"

So I uninstalled the program, and did a fresh reinstallation as administrator but got the same result.

Next step (and right now I am way beyond my technical limit...) I went off searching for the missing file and tracking it down is a nightmare. Every location I find it at wants me to upload another installation program of some kind or register with some kind of software provider or PC repair company but all I want is the actual file that I can down load then insert into the appropriate part of Windows - and I have no idea where it should go..... Am I expecting too much?

Rob

Looking at the website it says the ColorMunki Smile has a download for version v.1.0.3 plus some earlier versions. Have you tried downloading them all and running them to see if an older/newer version works?

https://www.xrite.com/service-suppor...lormunki-smile

Hi Rob,

After a little digging it looks like VBScript might be being blocked, this link explains how you might go about fixing it. Worth a go and let us know if it doesn't work:

https://support.xritephoto.eu/document11/

Cheers,
    Jake.

Craftsman
    Sounds like the account the X-Rite service is using does not have sufficient privileges. You could try this:

Press the Windows Key + R to open the Run prompt. Enter "services.msc" and click OK. This should open the list of services. Find the X-Rite service, right click it and choose Properties. On the Log On tab, change it to log on as your own (admin) account--warning, only do this if you are happy to give X-Rite admin rights to your PC. Click OK. Right click the service again and choose Start. Hopefully it will start OK now.

This solution is a real sledge-hammer to crack a nut - you are giving X-Rite admin rights to do anything, as opposed to working out the exact permission it needs, and only granting that. But it can be helpful to confirm that the problem is indeed missing permissions.

Master
    Thanks again, all. Tried Jake's suggestion but ran into an error message quoting 0xc000007b fault... Started looking into it and in truth its way outside my capabilities.

Tried Tatters' suggestion and no joy so deleted the program, rebooted the PC and reinstalled it. No difference... still got the missing dll message.

Tried the suggestion from Grandiloquence but those versions are for the MAC - I have PC.

Have send off a request to Xrite support but they are in the US so won't get a reply until next week... even then I I wouldn't be surprised if they more or less tell me this is an old program and I need to upgrade .....

Many thanks to all who have helped and grateful if anyone has any more suggestions I could try.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Barryboy View Post
    Thanks again, all. Tried Jake's suggestion but ran into an error message quoting 0xc000007b fault... Started looking into it and in truth its way outside my capabilities.

Tried Tatters' suggestion and no joy so deleted the program, rebooted the PC and reinstalled it. No difference... still got the missing dll message.

Tried the suggestion from Grandiloquence but those versions are for the MAC - I have PC.

Have send off a request to Xrite support but they are in the US so won't get a reply until next week... even then I I wouldn't be surprised if they more or less tell me this is an old program and I need to upgrade .....

Many thanks to all who have helped and grateful if anyone has any more suggestions I could try.

Rob
    Ah shame, at what point in the steps did you get that error?

Master
    Hi Jake.. Well I finally got the missing dll file and copied it into SYSWOW64 and System32 folders. Ran the program and got the error message quoting 0xc000007b fault. Looking into that it's not a simple issue and in truth beyond me.

Rob

Master
    Oops - duplicate.
    Last edited by Barryboy; 10th September 2022 at 18:22. Reason: Duplicate

Quote Originally Posted by Barryboy View Post
    Hi Jake.. Well I finally got the missing dll file and copied it into SYSWOW64 and System32 folders. Ran the program and got the error message quoting 0xc000007b fault. Looking into that it's not a simple issue and in truth beyond me.

Rob
    Hi Rob,

Sorry not sure what else to try without having the app myself and working through the steps. Hopefully the support team sort it for you but let us know if you're still stuck when they come back and I'll see if I can get it running my end.

Cheers,
    Jake.