closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Marine Nationales: Erika's v Nick Mankey v Watch Steward v Hawkrigger v CNS v generic

Marine Nationale: Erika's v Nick Mankey v Watch Steward v Hawkrigger v CNS v generic

Group Test - 'Marine Nationale' one-piece elasticated straps: Erika's Originals vs Nick Mankey vs Watch Steward vs Hawkrigger vs Cheapestnatostraps vs generic!

Straps matter, and making finding the right one for you amidst a welter of choice isn't easy. Marine Nationale ('MN') style elasticated webbing straps offer comfort and convenience across a range of prices. The look is casual, and the options many. They pair well with tool-watches and divers, or offer contrast to dressier models.

Their relatively thin fabric is breathable, suits warmer climates, yet withstands getting wet repeatedly. Being elasticated with sliding buckles they are infinitely adjustable, aiding comfort. They also tend to hold your watch firmly in place by spreading their grip evenly across the whole surface of your wrist. This means even heavy watch-bodies feel secure on properly adjusted MNs, yet the straps add negligible weight of their own.

Downsides are minor: they can become grimy, but being fabric, they can also be thrown in the wash and quickly look like new again. Some people fret that the stretchy webbing could become snagged and pulled from your wrist; this unlikely scenario requires extreme activities and is anyway surely preferable to a broken wrist?!

There are two main ways to wear an MN strap: NATO-style, with a strip of fabric around the wrist plus another through the spring-bars, or double-looped around the wrist with no fabric between watch and wrist. (picture below)

NATO-style pass-thru is most secure: so if one spring-bar detaches, the watch stays attached to your wrist by the other; the downside is that it increases the height of the watch, and can also trap fine grit which may abrade the watch back.

Double-looped allows the watch to sit closer to the wrist and gives a more balanced look - both beneficial if you have a tall watch. It does require a slightly longer length of elasticated webbing, which may be why not all manufacturers offer straps with this feature. I've focussed more on this here as it's my own wearing-preference.

There's an understandable tendency to believe that all things that look similar probably originate from the same mega-factories in China. This is clearly not the case when you get to handle a variety of these straps. They all look superficially similar, but quality of choice, materials, manufacture, finishing, packaging and user support all differ markedly in practice. This means there is some logical correlation between price and quality, albeit the first tends to increase exponentially, while the second increases more linearly!

In this review, two or more examples of each strap type was ordered and worn on a variety of diver's watches, chronographs and field watches over a period of weeks.

ERIKA'S ORIGINALS 'MN' - €75,00 + €5,00 shipping

• Over ~120 strap colour + stripe options!
    • 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24mm width options (depending on colour range).
    • 27 stitch colours.
    • 3 stainless-steel hardware finishes, plus 1 black PVD and 1 solid bronze finish.

PROS:

Tougher and more strongly elasticated webbing than the alternatives.
    Excellent stitching - thicker and neater than others.
    VERY wide choice of designs, plus bespoke stitch customisability, flags can be embroidered, webbing printed, and different buckles selected - and those can be engraved!
    Made to order to fit your wrist size.
    Fairly quick turnaround (16 days) for a bespoke product.
    Colours are good - positive yet subtle where appropriate.
    Webbing really is unique to EO.
    Useful, super-simple installation guide.
    Overall buying experience and packaging is good.
    Packaging easily re-used or recycled.
    Street-cred amongst watch-nerds.
    Very easy to resell if you don't bond.

CONS:

VERY expensive (£70 / €80) for what it is.
    A lot of variations are cost-extra despite the already high prices.
    Metal fittings are rather crudely finished - stamped-out, with little machining and slightly crude finishing (blasted finish).
    Hook scratched on arrival.
    Latching the hook into the buckle is frustratingly difficult, harder than in cheap versions!
    Too short to be worn as a double-loop. Supposedly possible to order suitable variants, but no info on website.
    Wait time.
    Ships from Bulgaria.
    Website is OK, images are reasonable representations of the product, but navigation isn't obvious at first.

Overall, some good points, but these are something of a triumph of hyperbole over content. If I'd paid £35, I'd be satisfied, but at £70 I'm a little underwhelmed.

NICK MANKEY - 'Hook Strap, Stainless Steel' - $34 ea + $16 shipping

• 19 strap colour options.
    • 18, 20, 22, 24 and 26mm width options.
    • 24 stitch colour options.
    • 3 stainless-steel hardware finishes, plus 1 black PVD.

PROS:

Designed to be worn as a double-loop - meaning no extra height beneath the watch head itself.
    By some margin the thickest and best-finished metal hardware.
    Softer fabric than other options, so if comfort is your #1 consideration, this is the strap for you.
    Has a quality look.
    Some customisability - length to suit different wrist-sizes, plus stitch colours and printing.
    Offers a version suitable for fixed lug-bars.
    Clear fitting instructions via website or QR.
    Hand-made to-order.
    Good, resealable packaging which can be re-used.
    Ships with a spare set of adequate-quality spring bars.
    Not-inexpensive, but value is very fair for a handmade bespoke product.
    Website fairly straightforward and accurate.
    Contributes towards C02 reduction scheme.
    Easy to resell if you don't bond with it.

CONS:

The need to make a pull-thru loop of fabric to secure the hook makes putting-on a chore unless you keep it closed and just put the whole thing on over your hand.
    Needs a greater number of colour choices - especially stripes.
    Softer fabric may prove less durable over time.
    Pricey shipping and potential for added charges from USA.
    Currently (9/2022) an 8 week wait-time, but will soon be closing order books until Jan 2023!

( ^ NB: my pic makes that look bluer than it is ^ )

Overall, these are worth the wait if comfort and good looks really matter; understandably popular.

WATCH STEWARD - 'Original Series' - $24.99 ea + $16.96 shipping

• 4 main strap configurations.
    • 21 colour options.
    • 18, 20, 22, 24, 26mm width options.
    • No stitch options.
    • 2 hardware options - tumbled or black oxide, both with or without logo.

PROS:

The simplest double-loop design to install, adjust and wear.
    Double-loop design means no extra thickness under the watch head.
    'TDM' Fabric feels robust.
    Custom-sizing makes for a good fit.
    Hardware is well-designed and functionally good.
    Wait-time not excessive despite shipping from the US.
    Fitting instructions right there on the packaging.
    Simple but effective packaging, easily reused or recycled.
    Straightforward website.
    While not-inexpensive, value for money vs. quality is probably the best of them all.

CONS:

Most colours don't actually have many width options.
    Not much customisability.
    Limited strap-colour options.
    Hardware and webbing are both a little utilitarian - not necessarily a bad thing for this kind of strap.
    Pricey shipping from USA.

Overall, probably the best all-round set of features vs. price.

HAWKRIGGER - 'Calypso Riggerband' - £39.95 - shipping is free if spending >£60

• 5 colour options.
    • 20, 22mm width options.
    • No stitch options.
    • 1 hardware option - matt stainless steel.

PROS:

If you like big, butch metal fittings - this is the one for you.
    Hardware is very nicely finished.
    Quality webbing strap, feels like it will wear well.
    Caters to different wrist sizes.
    UK based, so fairly quick turnaround if you're in the UK, and no extra border charges.
    Decent website.

CONS:

If you DON'T like big, butch metal fittings - this is NOT the one for you!
    Despite the large hardware, this is still a tad fiddly to secure.
    Only customisable for wrist size.
    Can only be worn single-pass - so adds extra height to watch head.
    Rather limited colour options.
    Not cheap - albeit reflected in the quality.

( ^ image © Hawkrigger ^ )

Overall, something different and well-made at a not-insane price.

CNS & WATCH BANDS - formerly CHEAPESTNATOSTRAPS - 'Marine Nationale' - from $15.95 to $3.95 depending on sale - less 20% discount for orders of >5 items. Free shipping over $25.

• 63 colour/pattern options.
    • 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 24mm width options (but only for the most popular colours).
    • No stitch options.
    • 3 hardware options - Stainless Steel, PVD black, or bronze.

PROS:

Prices vary from affordable to insanely cheap.
    There is ALWAYS a sale on, DFS-style.
    Big range.
    Some unique and attractive designs.
    Acceptable quality - fabric errs towards robustness so should wear OK, and hardware is finished quite well.
    'Paratrooper' range offers an even more minimalist take on the theme.

CONS:

Cannot be worn double-looped, so adds height to watch head, which is not ideal for thicker watches.
    Does not cater for different wrist sizes.
    Hook does not center well in the buckle, leading to a sloppy wear.
    Ships from Sweden, so potential to incur extra charges.
    No customisability.
    Packaging is non-existent - if you order multiple items they arrive jumbled together, so some potential for damage in-transit.

Overall, can be an absolute bargain, some interesting and unique designs, definitely the best budget option provided you don't want to double-loop!

GENERIC CHINESE - ~£7 on ebay, £? on AliExpress

• ~12 colour options typically.
    • 20, 22mm only, usually.
    • No stitch options.
    • SS hardware, and occasionally PVD options.

PROS:

May ship from a location near you...
    Adequate.
    Um...

CONS:

Probably doesn't ship from a location near you...
    No customisation.
    Sizing is a gamble - will it be too big? Or far too small...? The ones I ordered were too small...
    No-name stuff is impossible to resell if you don't like them.
    Why bother when CNS are so cheap? Or anything else is better?
    Packaging non-existent.
    No meaningful customer support.

( ^ look at its sad little face! ^ )

Overall
    , why bother? Your watch deserves better.

And yes
    , there are other choices, and yes, none of the above are quite perfect - perfect would be Erika's choices, with Nick Mankey's look and feel, Watch Steward's implementation, Hawkrigger's robustness and CNS's prices! We can but dream!

And no, I got no freebies, I foolishly paid my own money for all of these...

-fin-
    Last edited by earlofsodbury; 14th May 2023 at 12:58. Reason: Minor tweaks

Great round up! I'd agree with all your comments on the Nick Mankey strap

Cheers. Your Marathon looks mint on the NM, too

Excellent reviews.
    Appreciated all the details - links, green creds and packaging etc.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Congratulations, my lord Earl. A thoroughly enjoyable and usefully detailed review!

I absolutely agree on your conclusions, too. The Erika straps are great but very spendy; I recently received my first Nick Mankey ones and I love them. As you say, the loop pulling is a bit fiddly (doubly so if you get the hazard stripe print) but they’re wonderfully comfortable.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Excellent review,thank you.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Great review(s) !
    Im definitely in the MN and NM camp.

Master
    Cheers for this Earl
    Just taken a punt on a Nick Mankey in white to try on my Doxa 600T, I need something double loop as the watch sits high due to case design.
    I've a couple of Erikas and agree quality is spot on but pricey, had a few from CNS before they are good to try for colour combinations etc. as they are cheap.

If lead and postage times are realistic I may not have it until the end of the year

Cheers all - I had some fun putting it all together.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna1138 View Post
    Cheers for this Earl
    Just taken a punt on a Nick Mankey in white to try on my Doxa 600T, I need something double loop as the watch sits high due to case design.
    I've a couple of Erikas and agree quality is spot on but pricey, had a few from CNS before they are good to try for colour combinations etc. as they are cheap.

If lead and postage times are realistic I may not have it until the end of the year
    Mine took exactly 8 weeks from order to shipping date - then nearly 3 more weeks to actually get to me! So yeah, maybe in time for xmas!

They were worth the wait, they feel genuinely special on, and I think they look great - there's a sleekness to his stuff that's incrementally less-utilitarian and more stylish than the alternatives. If he can restructure his business (which I guess might be why the forthcoming 3-month shut-down is happening), and offer a wider range of webbing, then he could easily knock Erika from her perch!

I have a few different types and prefer the Erika's, albeit too expensive for what you get.

I've got my eye on the green/orange combo shown for my newly acquired MT from Eddie. Can't justify the expense at the moment though...

Good comparison and nice to see the different types in the one thread.

Thanks for sharing.

What an outstanding post! Thank you. I’m a big fan of Erika’s. Great straps for my military watches.

I was wondering, how do these straps feel with heavier watches like the Sinn U1?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsan View Post
    I was wondering, how do these straps feel with heavier watches like the Sinn U1?
    I would have thought a quality strap like an EO would be fine with a U1
    I wear my JSAR on a EO and it never moves, the JSAR is quite a bit larger and heavier than the U1

Thanks for the review Earl.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 11th September 2022 at 14:35.

Craftsman
    I recently picked up an MN style strap from Amazon, just under 20 quid but actually feels quite nicely made.
    I have an EO strap to compare it to and I'd say it's very close - hardware nicely rounded, no sharp edges and the material is very comfortable.
    Only snag is that you don't specify the length, fortunately I don't have massive wrists! About 7" and it fits me fine. PXL_20220911_081532412.jpgPXL_20220911_081541866.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsan View Post
    I'm wearing my U1 on the Watch Steward strap as I type, and I actually have the strap looser than I usually wear straps in general (I do like a nice tight strap, Matron!). I think the fact the whole thing is elasticated and worn double-looped means you have a really large contact area between strap and wrist which holds watches more naturally.

I've also worn the U1 on Nick Mankey, Hawkrigger and CNS straps, and those all worked prefectly as well.

Great! Very informative, thanks for taking the time to put this together :)

Factor in a wait for NM...

I guess i’ve been drinking Erika’s Koolaid for a while, definatelty spendy for a piece of nylon.
    Howver they are comfy, super lowprofile with the single loop, and the elastic nylon definately keeps heavier watches like the IWC or 43mm SD from flopping about.

I’ve bought a couple of ebay/amazon jobs in the past, and while they do the job, i tend to find they arent quite stiff enough for heavier watches.

clearly taken with a potato :/
    Last edited by endo; 5th October 2022 at 13:47.

Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    I guess i’ve been drinking Erika’s Koolaid for a while, definatelty spendy for a piece of nylon.
    Howver they are comfy, super lowprofile with the single loop, and the elastic nylon definately keeps heavier watches like the IWC or 43mm SD from flopping about.

I’ve bought a couple of ebay/amazon jobs in the past, and while they do the job, i tend to find they arent quite stiff enough for heavier watches.

clearly taken with a potato :/

Nice to see those

I do agree the robustness of Erika's materials is a major part of their appeal - not much else gets close, but for me (provided I can get straps made so I can wear them as I prefer), then it will be the amazing and unique colour choices that really sell them, despite the painful price!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve this one plus one more on route,had several in the past and imho they are the best.Considering the price of some watches the straps are really not that expensive ,but that’s just my view.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    I’ve this one plus one more on route,had several in the past and imho they are the best.Considering the price of some watches the straps are really not that expensive ,but that’s just my view.
    Looks really good on the Nomos. Thanks for review, lots of useful info. Do we make anything like these in UK at reasonable price?

Really appreciate the review
    I was hearing a lot of good things about the Mankey straps so this has helped me a lot

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Marine Nationales: Erika's v Nick Mankey v Watch Steward v Hawkrigger v CNS v generic

Thank you for the reviews. I bought a CNS strap on your recommendation and it’s just arrived:

This is my first MN and off the bat, I’m pleased with the quality. I like the elasticity in comparison to a Nato. It would be nice if it could be worn double looped, but not enough of an issue to make me consider paying more, and certainly not for an Erika’s strap. And this is as someone with a thick watch, as you can see.

I would say that I have a 7” wrist and if I were to need it much tighter, it would probably leave the bits of metal uncomfortably close to the Watch head.

Your review is bang on and your comment about the hook not centering that well on the buckle - shows your attention to detail!
    Last edited by Harryb; 4th January 2023 at 15:17.

You have one of the best-looking watches Tudor makes, and that strap is a really great match, so I'm glad the review was useful to you - enjoy!

Thanks! I’m also following your rubber strap thread and look forward to your thoughts.

Craftsman
    Belated I know but I came across this thread and it prompted me to get a Watch Steward elasticated strap which I'm very happy with. Just received yesterday. So many thanks to the Earl for his research and his post.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Harryb View Post
    I like the elasticity in comparison to a Nato. It would be nice if it could be worn double looped, but not enough of an issue to make me consider paying more, and certainly not for an Erika’s strap.
    The quality on the CNS is definately good for the money, it doesnt take much work to undo the stitching and re-stitch to get them fasten Erika’s style.

I’ve converted a few like this https://www.instagram.com/p/Ct9LnueLgFR and my saddle stitching is getting better lol, the full lume strap is ridiculously cool.
    Last edited by endo; 23rd August 2023 at 22:32.

Truly excellent piece, so useful. TZ at its best, thank you.

I've hovered over an Erika a few times. Just can't stomach that price.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    ... Just can't stomach that price.

I would like a couple more, but I've brickwalled on the price; did it once, and the quality is overall the best, but even I can't manlogic my way into coughing-up again!

(and thanks!)

Missed this post first time round.Excellent work - Many thanks
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Earl, have you tried the CNS Paratrooper straps at all? I’m not sure what the difference is exactly, but they’re described as being a “slimmed down” MN strap. I went to order a MN strap yesterday for my Seiko Samurai, so I can pretend it’s a Pelagos FXD, but thought I’d take a punt on the paratrooper instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryb View Post
    Earl, have you tried the CNS Paratrooper straps at all? I’m not sure what the difference is exactly, but they’re described as being a “slimmed down” MN strap. I went to order a MN strap yesterday for my Seiko Samurai, so I can pretend it’s a Pelagos FXD, but thought I’d take a punt on the paratrooper instead.

Afraid not, I should put that right next time the strap-buying itch flares-up!

Let us know how you get on with it

I ordered a couple of CNS MNs on the strength of the original post, so thanks, your Earlship

I was taken by the existence of a blue strap with a red stripe, but also ordered a 24mm all blue one for my Helson Sharkmaster 600, so looking forward to seeing how they are.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Sorry for the delay, but the Paratrooper strap did eventually show up. There are some differences to the MN strap but I'm not sure they make the biggest of differences. This is how it loops:

As you can see, there's a long bit of free strap when adjusted to my 7.25" wrist.

There's no real keeper or anywhere to stick this so it can poke out slightly but not enough to bother me. I might look into cutting this short and heat sealing it.

Looks nice enough, though this is supposedly 22mm but you can see spring bar both top and bottom, which is slightly annoying:

It doesn't wear that differently to the MN strap, really, but the buckle does sit on the bottom of the wrist, which isn't necessarily the case with the MNs, depending on how you wear them.

One advantage is that the hook centres better on the buckle because of the way the buckle has this taper:

It would be great if they could put a similar groove for the hook to sit in on their MN straps. The hook on this doesn't move around and it does make a difference to how it feels on the wrist.

All in all, not a huge difference. I think I would prefer the MN strap (no loose bit of strap and the buckle sits to the side of my wrist with how I wear mine, keeping it out of the way) with a modified buckle to include the groove to stop the hook slipping back and forth.

If anyone orders a MN and finds they have updated the strap, do let us know!