TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Queen

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

The Queen

I think she's dying.

Really quite devastated.

Yes sad to see her looking so frail we can only hope her condition improves.

God Save The Queen.

One out, one in.

Was wondering if I could start a thread in G&D rather than Bear Pit.

Seems like the news is imminent.

A sad day. She’s been absolutely fabulous.

Hugh Edwards is already wearing a black suit and black tie, which is odd.

Master
    I've never been a fan of the Royal Family as an institution or personally, nonetheless I'm sad to hear this news. All of her children are present at or en route to Balmoral, so I think it's quite serious.

I hope she recovers, although at 96 it's coming soon either way. Will be an absolutely enormous news event of course, and quite properly so. Something like 95% of us cannot remember a time when she wasn't our Head of State.

It'll be God Save the King for a few decades, soon.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I noticed that about Edwards, very unusual.

Witchell - "I think the facts speak for themselves and we are now at the stage when we must prepare for the worst"

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    Was wondering if I could start a thread in G&D rather than Bear Pit.

Seems like the news is imminent.

A sad day. She’s been absolutely fabulous.

Hugh Edwards is already wearing a black suit and black tie, which is odd.
    G&D is better. Hopefully certain elements will keep their comments to themselves this way.
    It certainly seems imminent. Very sad news indeed, and yes, she has been fabulous.
    Edit: unfortunately an idiot has already waded in (post #8). Sigh.
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 8th September 2022 at 14:17.

I'm not looking forward to that idiot Charles being in charge...

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsan View Post
    I'm not looking forward to that idiot Charles being in charge...
    C'mon man, we can do better than this. We all know what this thread is about, let's not start this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    C'mon man, we can do better than this. We all know what this thread is about, let's not start this stuff.
    I have an enormous amount of respect for the queen and how much she has done for the country, and I will be unhappy when she passes.

Whatever happens now, I hope she’ll have an easy passing. My grandmother is ten years older than The Queen and her last five years have not been worth living anymore. Not something I’d hope for anyone. If this is the time to go for Her Majesty, then I’ll raise a glass for a magnificent life lived well and long.

Very sad news to hear.

The most constant constant in my life. I’m not particularly a Royalist but it’s going to be very strange not having that person in the world.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    +1, a recently arrived member making a tasteless remark, no need for it.

Much as it saddens me I have to agree with the OP's comment, put rather bluntly but true nonetheless. No doubt a few of the anti-monarchists will be unable to resist the temptation to 'share their views' but now is NOT the time!

Still working at 96. She's been a complete legend, what an innings.
    "A man of little significance"

Regardless of anything, the Queen has been a class act for her entire life. I wish her well and if this is her time to rest and be with her beloved Philip, then it is well earned and she will be remembered with gratitude and affection.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Very much not a Royalist.

Sad for her and her family, naturally. It's rubbish when your mum/dad dies, no matter who you are.

In truth, the Queen's passing makes zero difference to me and I'd by lying if I said anything else. But much respect to her for the way she's conducted herself throughout her life; I don't think her job is one that anyone should be doing, but given that the job exists, she's done it magnificently.

I think some people are jumping the gun here.

Could be a minor stroke or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Regardless of anything, the Queen has been a class act for her entire life. I wish her well and if this is her time to rest and be with her beloved Philip, then it is well earned and she will be remembered with gratitude and affection.
    Very well said and 100% true.
    I am very much a Royalist and servers in the Guards during the 70’s.
    Many of us will have only know her as our Monarch

On one occasion while standing on duty at the rear of Windsor Castle, over looking the Long Walk, I told by a Police Officer that The Queen would be coming up from the stables.
    I recall seeing a battered old landrover heading in my direction. It was only as it got closer that I realised that it was her driving, with her traditional headscarf on, as I started to present arms. She swung alarming close to me, so she could drive up the ramp.

not a royalist at all and I think monarchy are an anachronism, but am very sad at the news - she's probably already gone and this is just the way they soften it up for the public (like they did with the pope, each day reporting worse news, etc)

Can only agree with all that's been said, truly a very sad time.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you 'Your Majesty'

(Apparently) MP's being briefed to bring black clothing in. Possibly has already happened and will be announced soon, or not far away.

A very real and genuine loss to the country.
    Last edited by Doug86; 8th September 2022 at 15:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug86 View Post
    MP's being briefed to bring black clothing in. Possibly has already happened and will be announced soon, or not far away.

Where have you seen this?
    So clever my foot fell off.

Where have you seen this?
    Friend of a friend, could well be utter drivel.

Presenters on BBC have now changed to black ties and darker clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Very sad to see HRH looking so frail with the new PM I would have liked to have seen other royals taking on more roles for her.

Not a nice thread to read to be honest I can only wish her and family well.
    +1

I am not a royalist but was surprised when saw her with the PM.

It will be a very sad day when her Majesty departs our world. Regardless of her upbringing and station in life, she's served this country for many decades, and selflessly too. Not sure about the rest of the family, but I hope that she makes a recovery, but 96 is a good innings. It will be a shock not to have her around.

The length of her reign will never be repeated that's for sure, she's rarely put a foot wrong. Even taking her age into account it's come as a shock to me, I do hope she's comfortable.

A good innings, great service to the Country and still working at 96 - not a bad legacy to leave is it?

Craftsman
    This has gotta be it, all the talk about “being comfortable” and under medical supervision sounds very palliative. Very upsetting regardless of the inevitability.

I went to Stirling Castle last summer and was getting change in a shop for street parking as we couldn’t get in the car park because something was going on - the cashier said “there is - the Queen’s opening the new exhibition!” Was such an amazing surprise to be able to see her in person.

God Save The Queen. I'll be very sad when she passes but will absolutely raise a glass to commemorate a magnificent life of service conducted with the utmost dignity.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    God Save The Queen. I'll be very sad when she passes but will absolutely raise a glass to commemorate a magnificent life of service conducted with the utmost dignity.
    Hear, hear.
    God bless your majesty, and thank you.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsan View Post
    I have an enormous amount of respect for the queen and how much she has done for the country, and I will be unhappy when she passes.

Ditto.

A very Regal lady who as always put her service first no matter what shit was chucked at her. Wishing you well Your Royal Highness

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    I applaud this comment.

What a wonderful lady, a stalwart servant to the country (indeed the Commonwealth and the world), and also seems to have great integrity and a strong faith. She very much reminds me of my grandmother (a missionary for decades in Morocco, a very tough but fair lady). I'll definitely miss our Queen when she departs this mortal coil, and I will remember her with great affection.

Possibly has already happened and will be announced soon, or not far away.

Correspondent on the radio just stopped himself referring to her in the past tense. They know something.

(Apparently) MP's being briefed to bring black clothing in. Possibly has already happened and will be announced soon, or not far away.

I think we can expect an announcement very soon.

Operation London Bridge

Preparations for Queen Elizabeth II's death and funeral were made as early as the 1960s, with the plan having undergone multiple changes in the decades since. The plan is updated three times a year through a meeting involving government department officials, the police, and broadcasters.[8][9]
    When Elizabeth dies, her private secretary will be the first official (i.e., not one of her relatives or part of a medical team) to convey the news. Their first act will be to contact the prime minister, where civil servants will convey the code phrase "London Bridge is down" to the prime minister using secure telephone lines.[1] The cabinet secretary and the Privy Council Office will also be informed by the private secretary.[3] The cabinet secretary will then convey the news to ministers and senior civil servants. The Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office's Global Response Centre, based at a secret location in London, will communicate the news to the governments of the 14 other countries of which Elizabeth is queen (the Commonwealth realms), and to the governments of the other countries of the Commonwealth of Nations.[1] Government websites and social media accounts, as well as the royal family's website, will turn black, and the publication of non-urgent content must be avoided.[3]
    The media would be informed by announcement to PA Media and the BBC through the Radio Alert Transmission System (RATS) and to commercial radio on the Independent Radio News through a network of blue "obit lights" which will alert presenters to play "inoffensive music" and prepare for a news flash, while BBC Two would suspend scheduled programming and switch to BBC One's broadcast of the announcement.[10] BBC News will air a pre-recorded sequence of portraits, during which the presenters on duty at the time will prepare for the formal announcement by putting on dark clothing prepared for this purpose. The Guardian has reported that The Times has 11 days of prepared coverage ready and that ITN and Sky News have long rehearsed her death, but substituting the name "Mrs Robinson".[1]
    A footman would pin a dark-edged notice to the gates of Buckingham Palace. At the same time, the palace website would display the same notice.[1] The Parliament of the United Kingdom and the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish parliaments would meet as soon as is practical or be recalled if they are not sitting.[3] The prime minister would address the House of Commons. The new monarch would host a meeting with the prime minister and then deliver a speech to the nation at 6 p.m., the evening following the Queen's death.[3] Whitehall and local government buildings will fly flags at half-mast and books of condolence may be opened; ceremonial ornaments, such as ceremonial maces or council chains, are to be put in black purses.[11][3] Gun salutes will take place at saluting stations and a service of remembrance, to be attended by the prime minister and senior ministers, will be held at St Paul's Cathedral.[3]

Different arrangements for moving Elizabeth's coffin are planned depending on where she dies, including plans for Windsor Castle and Scotland. In the event she dies at Windsor Castle or Sandringham House, the coffin would be taken by Royal Train to St Pancras railway station in London, where the prime minister and cabinet ministers would be waiting.[3] If she dies overseas, the coffin would be brought by No. 32 (The Royal) Squadron to RAF Northolt and then by hearse to Buckingham Palace. In all cases, the coffin would be taken to the Throne Room at Buckingham Palace. Five days after the Queen's death, it would be moved to Westminster Hall and, after a service, lie in state for three days.[3]
    Ten days after the Queen's death, a state funeral led by the Archbishop of Canterbury would be held at Westminster Abbey.[12] Her body would then be buried in a prepared tomb at King George VI Memorial Chapel in St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, alongside Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, whose coffin will be moved from Royal Vault. A committal service would be held at St George's Chapel before the burial.[1][13] As agreed by the Queen and the prime minister, the day of the funeral will be declared a day of national mourning, although a bank holiday will not be granted. A two minutes' silence will take place across the United Kingdom at midday and processions would gather in London and Windsor.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_London_Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I think we can expect an announcement very soon.
    I understand an announcement would be made at 6pm.

The Queen

I’m not a royalist but have huge respect for her, to keep her council at times when others are panicking, see in 15 prime ministers, still working in her 90’s all be it a different kind of work from the rest of us and ultimately serve a country for most of her life is just staggering.

As they say, walk in ones shoe before you judge.

And yes I would say the BBC know, radio this afternoon has been mooted down along with black cloths for tv presenters..
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 8th September 2022 at 16:42.

Amazing woman, amazing legacy, never to be repeated!

Blog Entries
    Not a royalist however her majesty is/was a very special person who went above and beyond the call of duty, never to be repeated IMO.
    It will be very strange to attend a series of upcoming meetings and neither toast the Queen nor sing the national anthem.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Craftsman
    Potentially very sad news and as people have said, a great existence and legacy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Not a royalist however her majesty is/was a very special person who went above and beyond the call of duty, never to be repeated IMO.
    It will be very strange to attend a series of upcoming meetings and neither toast the Queen nor sing the national anthem.
    I assume we will have a King?

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I understand an announcement would be made at 6pm.
    I’ve just heard that, already gone. BBC News at 6.00pm

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I assume we will have a King?
    I assume we will but without getting into pit territory would rather hold my thoughts on that matter
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    "She just stands for this constancy, this sense of permanence and stability.
    "And I think over the years people have probably taken her for granted often.
    "Suddenly, at times like this, we all realise... how precious she is."

This rather resonated with me.

I do fear that London Bridge has already fallen.

She is the paragon of what we as a nation seem to have lost - integrity, duty, fairness and humility.

A real shock, I thought she looked frail the other day but didn’t expect a decline so soon. Even my son, who is only 24 took the time to message me, she’s a legend and I will be sad to see her go.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post

I do fear that London Bridge has already fallen. [/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
    Most certainly.