closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Queen

Would you care to take the argument and name calling to the Bear Pit? This isn't the time or the place for it.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Would you care to take the argument and name calling to the Bear Pit? This isn't the time or the place for it.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Interesting that one poster claimed the Queen was the glue that held the Nation together. If TZ is representative that's nonsense.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Interesting that one poster claimed the Queen was the glue that held the Nation together. If TZ is representative that's nonsense.
    Your typical TZ membership would argue and fight over a sheet of toilet paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    You’re not wrong.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dickbrowne View Post
    It’s an interesting point - please don’t read any criticism of your reply in this, none is implied or intended.

Both my wife and I were in the kitchen when the official announcement was made by the BBC. We had, like many I would imagine, been speculating and wondering for most of the afternoon. Perhaps we were building the event in our own minds before we had any confirmation, but when the news broke we both found ourselves feeling emotional. Visibly so.

It’s true that we have, like you, never met The Queen, nor did we have any connection whatsoever, but there was an inexplicable sadness.

I can put this down to one of two things - either the loss of a person who has been present for all of our lives - constant, hardworking and inspiring - she was respected and respectful and the role model all other role models should take as their reference point.

The other possibility is that The Queen represented a way of life, a period in history which stretches back to before (I’m guessing) all of our lives here on TZ. That way of life has passed and we can only hope that the new monarch has the same class and garners the same respect.

So, although I haven’t lost a friend or family member, there is a sense of loss and one which many people will share.

Many people are prefacing their posts with the fact that they are not Monarchists. It’s probably not the right time to make a stand as a republican, I understand why people are declaring themselves as such, but the truth is that we, all of us, have seen a momentous event, the passing of a lady who loved this country and dedicated her life to the service of the country she loved.

King Charles has far bigger feet than his mother, but I think we will be very lucky indeed if he manages to fill her shoes.

Rest in peace.
    Perfectly put

At times of crisis, I think the Monarchy becomes a 'gathering point' for most people, and I am sure we would feel 'emptiness'' had the UK become a republic.

R.I.P. your majesty, long live the King x

No wonder youngsters have mental issues on social media when you read some of this. Sniping at it's worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    I have huge respect and admiration for Her Majesty and I offer my condolences to those who loved her. However I can’t feel any sadness when a 90+ years old person dies a quick death after a short decline with loved ones by their side at their favourite place on earth to boot. Death will come to us all and I don’t see how it could be any better than that. Godspeed Your Highness!
    I fully understand what you are saying but I think its more a case of sadness for the passing of a person that has been a constant presence for many decades, whether in our daily lives or far more remote like The Queen. A bit like when an aging rock star or movie star dies that you have listened to or watched all your life. Its not so much mourning for them per se, but the part they played in your life, however remote.
    My own mum passed in June this year aged 90, of course I blubbed, many times, but her funeral and wake were more a celebration of her long life and the force she was, obviously tinged with sadness but as you infer, very different to when a youngster goes.
    Long live the King!

Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    Perhaps rather than just being needlessly rude you could instead point out to that poster where he’s wrong?
    Rude, yes.
    Needlessly, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    No wonder youngsters have mental issues on social media when you read some of this. Sniping at it's worst.
    In fairness though the youngsters face, will have to deal with a climate-environmental crisis, late stage vulture capitalism, soaring cost of living, colossal and growing national debt as well as a democratic deficit...also services we all used to rely upon and access fairly readily are on their knees or non existent today...it´s no wonder they´re having a hard time mentally coming to terms with it all, though I do agree with you, social media often isn´t helpful.
    Last edited by Passenger; 10th September 2022 at 10:04.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Rude, yes.
    Needlessly, no.
    There we must must differ. Alternative opinions abound and just shouting them down or being unpleasant won’t make them go away.

As another poster has noted, we have the Bear Pit for insults and childish name-calling.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    From another perspective, your typical TZ membership would give you the shirt off their back. As with most large communities people will have differing viewpoints and there is a small but vocal argumentative element. One of the great things about TZ is that there is a specific area set up for that kind of stuff that can be avoided by those who don't want to get involved.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    From another perspective, your typical TZ membership would give you the shirt off their back.
    True.
    As with most large communities people will have differing viewpoints and there is a small but vocal argumentative element.
    True.
    One of the great things about TZ is that there is a specific area set up for that kind of stuff that can be avoided by those who don't want to get involved.
    True but unfortunately it occasionally bleeds through.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    In fairness though the youngsters face, will have to deal with a climate-environmental crisis, late stage vulture capitalism, soaring cost of living, colossal and growing national debt as well as a democratic deficit...also services we all used to rely upon and access fairly readily are on their knees or non existent today...it´s no wonder they´re having a hard time mentally coming to terms with it all, though I do agree with you, social media often isn´t helpful.
    And of course much tougher than anything any previous generation has had to face.

Erm, hang on a minute!

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    And of course much tougher than anything any previous generation has had to face.

Erm, hang on a minute!
    Was expecting someone to come up with this...it's interesting when I talk with my father and fave uncle about the good old days...Unc passed about 8 weeks back btw... Pa's 82 and Unc was 85, the thing they both agree on was that they had the best times as 20/30 somethings, and it was because they could leave a job if they didn't like it and immediately walk into another one the next day and said job though it didn't pay much by modern expectations of consumables and status signifiers, but did pay enough to support a household/famly, they both agree young'uns today have it much harder and face quite the outlook...Now I weren't around back then so can't verify this, but it's interesting just the same.

Blog Entries
    Genuine question. Now with Charles officially being King, what's his Royal Insignia?

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post

Erm, hang on a minute!
    I know we are veering off topic but I think it’s fair to say each generation believes they’ve been the hardest done by or enured more I cannot imagine how challenging living through WW2 was particularly if you lived in area’s subject to bombing or you had family members fighting the war.

But if you gave me a choice of being 20 something today or in 1962 or 1982 think I’d opt for 62 or 82.

I discussed the challenges we’re experiencing now (economy, social media, image, expectations, housing, covid) and how tough it is for kids in particular trying to navigate life with an 80 year old neighbour I was bludgeoned with ‘we had the 3 day week’ that was gruelling you don’t know what hardship is.

I then found out it lasted from Jan 1st 1974 > March 7th 1974 some 67 days

Each generation has it’s own set of challenges but I fear the current ‘global’ state of play is about as challenging as any previous with the exception of a World War, but its quite possible we’re already in one but the bombs are financial.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Was expecting someone to come up with this...it's interesting when I talk with my father and fave uncle about the good old days...Unc passed about 8 weeks back btw... Pa's 82 and Unc was 85, the thing they both agree on was that they had the best times as 20/30 somethings, and it was because they could leave a job if they didn't like it and immediately walk into another one the next day and said job though it didn't pay much by modern expectations of consumables and status signifiers, but did pay enough to support a household/famly, they both agree young'uns today have it much harder and face quite the outlook...Now I weren't around back then so can't verify this, but it's interesting just the same.
    To be clear I was referring to the wartime generations, not to my generation.

I've been thinking about your dad and uncles outlook on things and they must have lived in an area with plenty of jobs available. My dad and uncles lived in the north east where the main employers were either the pit or the shipyard. Two of my uncles worked in the shipyards, my dad upped sticks and went to marine college at aged 14 as a cadet onboard HMS Conway, which was a merchant navy training ship (converted from a 19th century ship of the line). None of them had much good to say about life back then, dad's was extremely tough on board the training ship but he completed training and went to sea as a junior officer, ending up as a master of a vessel before working for the Salvage association in london. He counts himself very fortunate but stresses none of it was easy. My uncles employment in the yards was sporadic at best, they both trained as welders at the time riveters were being rapidly phased out so were very employable. The problem with the shipyards was if your particular yard didn't have any new contracts you were laid off when your work on the current vessel was completed. This happened multiple times to both uncles, they then had to try and find work at other yards which wasn't particularly easy as british shipbuilding was pretty much in terminal decline during the 50 and 60's. I've talked to them many times at length about their lives back then (absolutely fascinating stuff to be honest) and they've both stressed there was just no other work available, the main driver being there were usually hundreds if not thousands of men laid off at the same time all looking for something. If their "home" yard found another contract they were hired again but both were young men with families, they've told me the work was brutal, the hours were long and you were always worried about whether you were going to be laid off. This wasn't necessarily because a contract ended, if the foreman and you clashed you could quite easily find yourself out on your ear for no good reason, my uncle Laurence had more spells of unemployment because of this than he did because of lack of contracts!

If I told them the current youth generation were worse off than they were they'd laugh I'm sure. I suppose your viewpoint on life back then would be anchored to where you lived, in great manufacturing areas such as the midlands and black country I'm sure there would be jobs to walk into, in other areas not so much. I know when I was a teenager I left a good half a dozen jobs because I couldn't stand the work or was bored, I never had a problem walking into a new job. This was in the 70's and 80's in the affluent south.

Anyway, let's get the thread back on topic!
    Last edited by Thewatchbloke; 12th September 2022 at 10:13. Reason: More info added

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Genuine question. Now with Charles officially being King, what's his Royal Insignia?
    His cypher? He wore that on his tie for the ceremony today.

Master
    One of the very best images of them both I have seen. RIP, back together.

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    I know we are veering off topic but I think it’s fair to say each generation believes they’ve been the hardest done by or enured more I cannot imagine how challenging living through WW2 was particularly if you lived in area’s subject to bombing or you had family members fighting the war.

But if you gave me a choice of being 20 something today or in 1962 or 1982 think I’d opt for 62 or 82.

I discussed the challenges we’re experiencing now (economy, social media, image, expectations, housing, covid) and how tough it is for kids in particular trying to navigate life with an 80 year old neighbour I was bludgeoned with ‘we had the 3 day week’ that was gruelling you don’t know what hardship is.

I then found out it lasted from Jan 1st 1974 > March 7th 1974 some 67 days

Each generation has it’s own set of challenges but I fear the current ‘global’ state of play is about as challenging as any previous with the exception of a World War, but its quite possible we’re already in one but the bombs are financial.
    I was 15 in 1962 and would never want any different.

His cypher? He wore that on his tie for the ceremony today.

Initials CR.... Charles Rex (Rex is Latin for King)

Couple of observations from the Accession ceremony.

Seemed strange that Camilla and William were 'witnesses'. Presumably protocol but they're hardly impartial.

Secondly the ink wells - who thought it would be a good idea to put those in the way, on a small table, of the documents being signed?

Interesting to see though!

Master
    Couple of observations from the Accession ceremony.

Seemed strange that Camilla and William were 'witnesses'. Presumably protocol but they're hardly impartial.

Secondly the ink wells - who thought it would be a good idea to put those in the way, on a small table, of the documents being signed?

Interesting to see though!
    The king was not amused, judging by his grimace! Haven't seen that since Prince Philip threw a wobbly!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcNCBP2IRUc

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    The king was not amused, judging by his grimace! Haven't seen that since Prince Philip threw a wobbly!
    Yes, and Camila signed with her wrist between/over them.

Master
    A lovely touch, I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    Wow rather a little fit of graceless pique there, lol´d..oh to have such problems...hells teeth the humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    A lovely touch, I thought.

monogroover post linking to a lonegroover YouTube video, lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Today we travelled into edinburgh with our wee granddaughter to pay our respects to a wonderful lady and marvellous monarch.

The people of Scotland, including my home city, turned out in large numbers 4-5 deep along HMQE2’s route and final drive up here. Very poignant and ever so moving to see old and young nod and applaud as her coffin drove by.

I am immensely proud to have served her and have fond memories of special times gone by. Our granddaughter got to lay her flowers at PoHH and we will help her remember what The Queen stood for, if she wishes.

I’m sure HMQ is now with her beloved Philip in a special place where pain is no more.

God save The King!

Jim

Fair play to David Beckham for queuing from 2.15am to pay his respects.
    Queuing on his own too.

Queuing on his own too.
    Almost like he's chasing a knighthood.

Unlike Phil and Holly who walked in at the front without queuing. Totally unacceptable.

Queuing on his own too.

The Queen

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Unlike Phil and Holly who walked in at the front without queuing. Totally unacceptable.
    I presume they hung around the back of Westminster Hall like a couple of scallies, and then on a quiet moment and when security weren't looking they blagged the queue with a fake wristband.

Or more likely, This Morning were doing a piece on the Royal Mournfest, and they were to provide their first hand experience, and it was all arranged for them to be waved in.

But, maybe I am being cynical with This Morning's Royalty.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 16th September 2022 at 19:10.

I read that King Charles has authorized Harry to dress in uniform at Monday's funeral. What is the significance of the large gold lanyard he wears here?

I liked the Queen I doubt there will be another woman or man like her ever again(also thought as a young woman she was quite the looker as well) I was on holiday when I heard the news and much to my surprise I shed a few tears, R.I.P your majesty and good luck to the King.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I read that King Charles has authorized Harry to dress in uniform at Monday's funeral. What is the significance of the large gold lanyard he wears here?
    Either a recognition of the removal of a dozen enemy combatants on assignment in Afghanistan, or maybe just military pomp and circumstance paraphernalia.

...What is the significance of the large gold lanyard he wears here?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aiguil...United_Kingdom

'Aiguillettes (1st Class or Royal) are of gold-wire cord and are worn on the right shoulder by, among others, admirals of the fleet, field marshals and marshals of the RAF; honorary physicians, honorary chaplains, honorary surgeons and aides-de-camp to the Sovereign; and equerries to members of the royal family. Some appointments carry the privilege of wearing a miniature Sovereign's Cypher on the points of the aiguillettes. These aiguillettes are also worn by commissioned officers of the Household Cavalry (in full dress only).'

I've no idea what uniform Aitch is wearing & why he is wearing said aiguillettes.

Edit: he's wearing them because he was an officer in the Household Calvary (Blues & Royals).
    Last edited by jwg663; 16th September 2022 at 19:40.
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    no idea what uniform Aitch is wearing & why he is wearing said aiguillettes
    Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex please.

Show some respect.

Good to see uniform still fits.

I don’t know much but I’d say that’s another olive branch the king has offered to his prodigal son.

That must have been torture, I don’t think I could have done it

I don’t know much but I’d say that’s another olive branch the king has offered to his prodigal son.
    hewitt have thought it could happen.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Indeed, and also when I see an RIP post on this forum of a person that I do not respect or like I keep my council rather than try to prove a political or virtue signal by posting a negative response. Some very bitter people people with a healthy self righteous ego will think and post differently
    A good attitude.

Harry served twice in Afghanistan and tried to serve in Iraq earlier in his ten-year military career.

Do ANY of the Royals have better credentials to wear a military uniform?

Harry served twice in Afghanistan and tried to serve in Iraq earlier in his ten-year military career.

Do ANY of the Royals have better credentials to wear a military uniform?

Not necessarily better than Harry, but the nonce apparently did a bit in his time, and he's had similar issues regarding uniform wearing.
    As an aside he's lucky not to be on the secure wing unlike Harry.
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 17th September 2022 at 00:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Not necessarily better than Harry, but the nonce apparently did a bit in his time, and he's had similar issues regarding uniform wearing.
    As an aside he's lucky not to be on the secure wing unlike Harry.
    You are correct. Andrew's service record appears to be excellent.

I didn’t mean at all that Harry wouldn’t have the credentials for it. Quite the opposite and that’s why it looks like that Charles is trying to make up with him. As an aside, didn’t the current Prince of Wales serve as well? No combat action but wasn’t he a helicipter pilot? I seem to remember reading a story of a civilian rescue mission in hairy conditions. Please correct me if my recollection is wrong.

I didn’t mean at all that Harry wouldn’t have the credentials for it. Quite the opposite and that’s why it looks like that Charles is trying to make up with him. As an aside, didn’t the current Prince of Wales serve as well? No combat action but wasn’t he a helicipter pilot? I seem to remember reading a story of a civilian rescue mission in hairy conditions. Please correct me if my recollection is wrong.
    The story I heard long ago was that Charles nearly sunk his boat/ship.

I remember Andrew piloting a helicopter in the Falklands War. He was evacuating crew from a ship.... the Sir Galahad?

The story I heard long ago was that Charles nearly sunk his boat/ship.
    I don't know about that but he gave up flying after this incident...link.

More about his experience in and with the military...link.