closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New Apple Watch Ultra

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Manxdiver View Post
    A quick training dive with mine this morning. Haven't worn anything else since it arrived :o)

Do you do your own reg servicing ?

Did you try the deco software ?

Went to see the latest in store. Cool thing but I still can't see myself making the jump. The only thing that would do it for me would be if I genuinely needed the monitoring functionality (e.g. the heart rate alert stuff).

One thing I was quite impressed by unexpectedly was the magsafe wallet. Way more secure than I expected it to be. I've not bought one yet, but tempted by that.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    You are wrong indeed: the series 3 was released in Sep 2017 and they stopped selling it last month. Needless to say that all the apps that were there still work. The same is true for the earlier generations.
    Apps developers may decide to stop development for older watches when the shift in a new watch technology means they need a major change; this doesn’t mean the watch you purchased stops working, just that you can’t download the latest version of the app.
    Computer technology does become obsolete over time because new developments allow for new features that are seen as desirable. It doesn’t mean it stops working and doing what you bought it for.
    My experience is that a number of apps simply DO NOT WORK anymore on my iPad, so I'm not really happy to trust Apple (or app developers) in this respect.

I understand computer technology fairly well, but the Apple ecosystem is far more strictly locked down than Windows or Android, so sometimes it absolutely DOES stop working. When my iPad dies, I'll switch to an Android tablet.

Equally, though, I don't want a do-everything gadget and I don't like the idea of paying a subscription service for my dive computer, so I guess Apple don't care if there are people like me.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 23rd October 2022 at 17:17.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Do you do your own reg servicing ?

Did you try the deco software ?
    I do my own servicing - only Apeks though as that's my accreditation - but they're becoming a nightmare to deal with post-Brexit, so likely to do a Scubapro course over the winter.

No way I'm paying a subscription for the Oceanic App (when it's available). When I do training, its on open circuit and shallow so don't need anything other than a bottom timer as never close to deco. The native Apple dive app is fine for this although I think it could do with an ascent warning. Anything else and I'm on my 'breather with Shearwater controller / backup.

For me, the Ultra is a massive step up from series 6/7 due to the dive capabilities and battery life. I did a dive with it this morning, then out on my mountain bike this afternoon using Strava. Rest of the day it's a watch and tracking my heart rate, calories, steps etc and the battery life is still 75% as I type this. I chop a lot of wood for my woodburner and it gave me decibel warnings when using my saw so bought some ear-defenders last week. Sleep tracking is brilliant as are the other apps such as timers etc. It really feels like the first watch that can do everything (for me). Yeah, it would be great to have a one week battery life, but TBH I just put it on charge whilst I have a shower and get dressed etc in the morning and that brings it back to 100%.

I have a couple of mechs still, but they are seriously circling the drain.

Master
    I do my own servicing - only Apeks though as that's my accreditation - but they're becoming a nightmare to deal with post-Brexit, so likely to do a Scubapro course over the winter.

No way I'm paying a subscription for the Oceanic App (when it's available). When I do training, its on open circuit and shallow so don't need anything other than a bottom timer as never close to deco. The native Apple dive app is fine for this although I think it could do with an ascent warning. Anything else and I'm on my 'breather with Shearwater controller / backup.

For me, the Ultra is a massive step up from series 6/7 due to the dive capabilities and battery life. I did a dive with it this morning, then out on my mountain bike this afternoon using Strava. Rest of the day it's a watch and tracking my heart rate, calories, steps etc and the battery life is still 75% as I type this. I chop a lot of wood for my woodburner and it gave me decibel warnings when using my saw so bought some ear-defenders last week. Sleep tracking is brilliant as are the other apps such as timers etc. It really feels like the first watch that can do everything (for me). Yeah, it would be great to have a one week battery life, but TBH I just put it on charge whilst I have a shower and get dressed etc in the morning and that brings it back to 100%.

I have a couple of mechs still, but they are seriously circling the drain.
    How does Brexit affect the Apeks kit supply. I thought they’d be easier to obtain than any other.

I have some scubatools servicing kit for sale on the dive forum if you need any workshop kit.

A quick training dive with mine this morning. Haven't worn anything else since it arrived :o)

That’s a cracking photo.
    Just checked my battery level and it was at 8% after 57 hrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

Well, it arrived and I like it.

I can see this being a very convenient option when I have meetings or trips where an expensive watch isn’t a good idea.

Good size for my chunky wrists.

Master
    Having seen these in the flesh now, I have to say I’m teetering on the edge which I didn’t think would happen.

Any downsides from owners apart from the obvious battery life ‘issue?’

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    Having seen these in the flesh now, I have to say I’m teetering on the edge which I didn’t think would happen.

Too soon for me to conclude, but this is a very useful.

I’m still playing !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Too soon for me to conclude, but this is a very useful.

I’m still playing !
    Yep, a lot to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post

To be honest, I don’t think that the duration of the battery is an issue.
    Last check I made was 57 hrs with 8% remaining.
    Which I think is ok

I stumbled across this company.
    Who sell similar straps and colours to those offered by Apple for a 1/3rd of the price.
    I have purchased one of their Trail Loop straps.

https://royalbands.co.uk/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    Who sell similar straps and colours to those offered by Apple for a 1/3rd of the price.

https://royalbands.co.uk/

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with it once arrived. Their website uses Apple stock photos of the straps so it's hard to tell quote what you're going to get.

https://royalbands.co.uk/.
    Be interested to see what they are like - my previous experiences with Apple Looky-Likey straps has not been good, much stiffer material and not the same quality.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Tony you are looking at a convert, how do you find it works day to day with size in catching it against objects as we both work in environments where we are in a rush and watch safety is secondary

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Be interested to see what they are like - my previous experiences with Apple Looky-Likey straps has not been good, much stiffer material and not the same quality.
    Agree. Over the years I've tried third party and they are always inferior both from a materials perspective and the fitting to the watch. Similarly I've had a poor experience when trying to find decent third party charging cables. If it's not genuine apple, they haven't really worked.

Quote Originally Posted by mactrack View Post
    I'd be interested to hear how you get on with it once arrived. Their website uses Apple stock photos of the straps so it's hard to tell quote what you're going to get.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Will keep you both posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Pan16520 View Post
    Tony you are looking at a convert, how do you find it works day to day with size in catching it against objects as we both work in environments where we are in a rush and watch safety is secondary. Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    No problem whatsoever, Yodi

Do I take it that you now have one?

I may get a hardened tempered screen cover, but otherwise it has been rock solid, as per its purpose :-)

I’ve owned the Ultra for 20 days now and it has only been off my wrist for charging.

I can’t fault it.

Master
    To be honest, I don’t think that the duration of the battery is an issue.
    Last check I made was 57 hrs with 8% remaining.
    Which I think is ok

That seems like a massive improvement! Thanks

Strap and hardened tempered screen protector arrived over the weekend.
    Not sure where they came from as it took about 11 business days to arrive.

I have seen or felt a genuine Apple Trail loop strap.
    But this one is soft and looks like the real thing.
    Only time will tell if it remains that way.

It cost £26 with discount which is obviously cheaper than the genuine one.
    But there are much cheaper ones available, but I can’t comment on their quality.

I also purchased 3 x Hardened Tempered screen protector, which fit well.
    But I think personally they are expensive at £20

No offense intended, but why the need for a screen protector? It's Sapphire right?
    I would see no more need to put a screen protector on this than any other watch, in fact less need than most watches given the bezel covers all 4 sides entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    No offense intended, but why the need for a screen protector? It's Sapphire right?
    I would see no more need to put a screen protector on this than any other watch, in fact less need than most watches given the bezel covers all 4 sides entirely.
    No offence taken
    Just sounded like a good idea at the time LOL

Master
    These are really drawing me - one a few pop up on the used market I think I’ll jump

Sapphire's not indestructible - Having something that will take the initial impact seems a good idea to me, even at £20.

Most watches wouldn't let you fit a screen protector, due to the curve of the crystal, though.

M

Journeyman
    Had mine a week now - love it.A massive step forward in all departments from previous apple watches.I dont think the price is excessive either.

When I had an Apple Watch I also had apple care - better than a screen protector imho!

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Sapphire's not indestructible - Having something that will take the initial impact seems a good idea to me, even at £20.

Most watches wouldn't let you fit a screen protector, due to the curve of the crystal, though.

M
    Sure, but we don't wear screen protectors on our normal watches, so why is this different? If anything it makes less sense here given the need to interact with the touch screen regularly.

Each to their own of course, but seems to me it's one of those products that's being sold without any real need and folk should think twice before going for it. Just my 2 cents.

Master
    Sure, but we don't wear screen protectors on our normal watches, so why is this different? If anything it makes less sense here given the need to interact with the touch screen regularly.

Each to their own of course, but seems to me it's one of those products that's being sold without any real need and folk should think twice before going for it. Just my 2 cents.
    Can you buy screen protectors for normal watches?

I have an Ultra too. Best one so far from Apple. I also have a screen protector. I managed to dink my Series 7 sapphire screen.

I won’t try and justify the Apple Watch to you but I find it very useful for my lifestyle and have done since they launched it.

Your last comment could apply to luxury watches too. Just my 2 cents.

Well, my second point seemed quite relevant to your question, they'd be hard to make!

In my experience, screen protectors don't make the screens any less responsive.

I guess people are happier to buy them for Apple watches because they're common (and useful) to protect the screens on other Apple products (you see a lot of phones and tablets with broken screens, but I guess you're less likely to drop a watch).

FWIW, I've a screen protector on my dive computer which was fitted as standard (as did my old Suunto - reminds me, I must swapped the scratched screen protector for the new one), so maybe there's a greater chance of damaging the screen on a dive computer (everything gets banged around on a dive boat).

M

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    When I had an Apple Watch I also had apple care - better than a screen protector imho!

Good advice.
    But I purchased mine pre owned which didn’t come with a plan.
    I believe you can purchase the plan up to 60 days after the watch was purchased for £99

Well that didn’t take long, in fact less than 24 hrs!!
    Strap is comfortable and soft, but let down by shoddy craftsmanship.
    Should be interesting to see what contact I receive from my complaint.

Journeyman
    great watch rubbish bands

New Apple Watch Ultra

Quote Originally Posted by goody View Post
    great watch rubbish bands
    Keep up, it’’s not an Apple strap.

Well that didn’t take long, in fact less than 24 hrs!!
    Strap is comfortable and soft, but let down by shoddy craftsmanship.
    Should be interesting to see what contact I receive from my complaint.
    Well, that has answered the Q about originality.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Speaking from bitter experience, the fundamental difference is that, with the right kit, it's dead easy to remove and replace a watcj crystal. It is is also quick and comparatively cheap.

I don't know about the ultra, but on a six, it's an absolute pain in the bum which teeters on the edge of destroying the screen as you carefully cut through the hot glue bonding the crystal to the screen with a very fine cheesewire. I'll not be doing it again and I was lucky it worked afterwards. I'm not sure how much it costs to have it done professionally, but I suspect it would reflect the relative unpleasantness of the job. I really enjoy jobs like this, and I didn't enjoy this at all.

Quote Originally Posted by watchmad View Post
    Can you buy screen protectors for normal watches?

I have an Ultra too. Best one so far from Apple. I also have a screen protector. I managed to dink my Series 7 sapphire screen.

I won’t try and justify the Apple Watch to you but I find it very useful for my lifestyle and have done since they launched it.

Your last comment could apply to luxury watches too. Just my 2 cents.
    Just to clarify, my comments regarding it being "one of those products that's being sold without any real need" was in relation to the screen protector, not the Apple Watch itself.

But yes, it certainly could apply to luxury watches now that you mention it

Master
    I keep coming back to these watches, love the fact the extra battery life.

I currently have a 6 and would see this as a good upgrade, but I have my 6 on Vitality so technically don't pay for it if I meet the points quota. But tempted to sell it and still get this anyway.

Anyone who has made the switch from a 6 do you feel it was worth it?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burton View Post
    I keep coming back to these watches, love the fact the extra battery life.

I currently have a 6 and would see this as a good upgrade, but I have my 6 on Vitality so technically don't pay for it if I meet the points quota. But tempted to sell it and still get this anyway.

Anyone who has made the switch from a 6 do you feel it was worth it?
    I upgraded from a 6.

The 6 I wore occasionally as I got fed up with the charging every night. Going away for the weekend etc meant packing the puck etc which I would often forget and end up with a dead watch on my wrist. My Ultra goes well into day 3 and it's nice not to worry about the battery life.

Think I'm on my 3rd week so technically im still in the honeymoon phase but have wore my watches only once since!

The flat screen makes a big difference to me also - seems easier and more responsive with my fat fingers and its much nicer and crisp to my eyes (I read online the 44mm is basically the same size in reality but the curve makes its smaller compared to the Ultra)

I upgraded from the 6, the screen on the ultra is great. Battery life is superb. The best thing is the action short cut button. I’ve got it so it can open the gate on my driveway. So much easier than fumbling around for a remote when driving.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    I upgraded from the 6, the screen on the ultra is great. Battery life is superb. The best thing is the action short cut button. I’ve got it so it can open the gate on my driveway. So much easier than fumbling around for a remote when driving.
    Wow that is very cool. Assume it has an app / integration with your gate company or something.

What other things can the action button be programmed to do?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Wow that is very cool. Assume it has an app / integration with your gate company or something.

I use mine to ping the wife’s bra off.

I’ve got a gate opener that is home kit compatible. You can use short cuts to create an automation to open it.

So basically you can you can use shortcuts to do a load of things and just set the action button to go the short cut

Master

The shortcuts app opens up loads of possibilities. I had my action button programmed to open a menu up which had different shortcuts on it.

Master
    Very nice

Master
    Wow that is good

Master
    This is getting seriously tempting when they appear second hand. Too expensive for me currently, but will see. Have to try one on still, as the dimensions do read rather large.

I've got one on the green alpine strap arriving direct from Apple on 4th Jan and I would pass it on here unopened at a little discount. It also has Apple Care with it. if anyone's interested, drop me PM.