TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Apple Watch Ultra

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Not sure what you mean.

There's a 'family' deal as well.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Was being facetious. Use one watch during the day, another at night so you'll have uninterrupted health stats. including sleep whilst charging the other one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Can you aggregate data? Just need 2 of them.
    I guess you mean wear one during the day and one at night for sleep tracking? (Expensive option for something with a 2-3 year lifespan). If you want to do that Fitbit Charge 5 or Garmin wearables have that covered - and with a 1/2hr charge while you shower etc every 4 or 5 days the batteries last so much longer than an iWatch.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Was being facetious. Use one watch during the day, another at night so you'll have uninterrupted health stats. including sleep whilst charging the other one.
    Ah right. I was being dense...

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I have an old Apple Watch - series 4 I think - and it actually charges pretty quickly. If I bought another Apple Watch I’d keep a charger at the office, plonk it on that for half an hour or an extra hour during the day and I imagine it would always be juiced up enough to run 24/7? - think of it as a mini mobile phone, not a watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve bit the Bullett and ordered one, I have Gorilla wrists so it should work…..I shall keep you updated….

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    $80 a year app for recreational dive computer app.

Too expensive to make sense for regular divers, but will be popular with occasional divers, I'm sure (they have daily and monthly app prices too)

As someone said, sleep tracking doesn't work if you are charging the phone overnight.

M
    Use another Sleep App! I use Sleep Tracker, it doesn’t need the phone to be awake. Then sync the app when I wake up, pop the watch on the charger whilst I’m in the shower, usually fully charged from @85% in 20 minutes or so.

Blog Entries
    What about this for £35 - can be used in water, ok won’t tell you if you’ve been in a crash but it keeps charge for maybe 3-5 days depending on use.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09YTYGNVW

maybe not as I just read the reviews!!

Something from Fitbit or Garmin should do though

I've just bought an Oura ring for sleep tracking, it's brilliant. 7 days battery life, has a tonne of sensors (sp02, HR, skin temp etc) and best of all I can wear a normal watch!

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jakesblue View Post
    I've just bought an Oura ring for sleep tracking, it's brilliant. 7 days battery life, has a tonne of sensors (sp02, HR, skin temp etc) and best of all I can wear a normal watch!

Not all sensors are equal though to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Not all sensors are equal though to be fair.
    True. There's quite a few reviews on it that suggest it's up there though (I think sp02 wise it's at the top iirc for accuracy). Had a good read before I bought it.

True. There's quite a few reviews on it that suggest it's up there though (I think sp02 wise it's at the top iirc for accuracy). Had a good read before I bought it.

I like the YouTube reviews from The Quantified Scientist on these devices. Solid evidence behind the conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    I like the YouTube reviews from The Quantified Scientist on these devices. Solid evidence behind the conclusions.
    Not seen them but I'm sure there's gonna be some good some bad reviews. I tend to find dcrainmaker pretty balanced all round: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/ He suggested it was good but not excellent all round as a device, which for me for the convenience of having it as a ring was good enough.

Each their own though, what works for me sure won't be for everyone.

Anyway, I took it off track! Back to the Apple watch ultra thread :-)

It’s a cool device, however Customer Service is utterly terrible!!

When I ordered the new version, I decided to change the colour and was told that my order would be put on hold - which it was. Then they said that the only way to change the colour was to refund my order…

This didn’t stop them shipping the silver ring (bear in mind you will pay customs charges eg VAT)

So I returned the ring straight back and eventually got a refund

Master
    Blog Entries
    Anybody pickup an Ultra today? Any thoughts so far?

I dithered and the Apple shipping date slipped so ordered the Orange Alpine version from Currys for delivery today to family as back in the Falklands. Will be a while until it gets here via post but I regret not adding a Midnight Ocean band for swimming to my order now that I'm on a weight loss / health kick

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Anybody pickup an Ultra today? Any thoughts so far?

I dithered and the Apple shipping date slipped so ordered the Orange Alpine version from Currys for delivery today to family as back in the Falklands. Will be a while until it gets here via post but I regret not adding a Midnight Ocean band for swimming to my order now that I'm on a weight loss / health kick
    Popped into the Apple store @ Cribbs Causeway to try one on for size, they mentioned they had a few in stock, so I walked out with one with a green medium alpine strap.

Not really had much time to play with it at work.

Will probably pick one up at some stage but I’m just going to go to a Series 7 for now.

Master
    On the green alpine - not as big as it looks once on.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post

Looks good.

Kinda wish I went green now!!!

Im still worried about sizing - went for medium with a 7”ish wrist

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    ...but then it renders the sleep tracking unusable. Its an uncharacteristic blunder in logic from Apple.
    I've never figured out the point of sleep tracking, except for millennials who need to be spoon fed everything via a screen.

I know if I've slept well or not, my body tells me that without an Apple Watch. I just think it's technology for the sake of it - just because it can be done doesn't mean it really has much relevance.

I have an Apple Watch, which I used to wear every day, but I got tired of the darn thing not lighting up quick enough to glance at the time. Makes it pointless as a watch really.

I just wear it at the gym only now.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    I’ve bit the Bullett and ordered one, I have Gorilla wrists so it should work…..I shall keep you updated….
    Still waiting on your update, Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post

DAMN SON!!!!!!!

Amazing video (and watch), thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Looks great!

What is the lug to lug on these? I’m slightly concerned that it’s going to wear huge.

Got mine today and really pleased with it so far. Rubber strap is very comfortable although wish I'd gone for yellow now. Taking it diving on Thursday evening 

Master

It's certainly a tough old unit!

I tried one on in the Apple store on Sunday. It is a doable size but it sits quite proud. Though the security leash tag stuck to the bottom won't have helped with that. I found the marine strap a bit of a pita to use.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Manxdiver View Post
    Got mine today and really pleased with it so far. Rubber strap is very comfortable although wish I'd gone for yellow now. Taking it diving on Thursday evening 

Will you be using the deco app ? I wasn’t sure if they were released yet, curious to hear what models they use.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Will you be using the deco app ? I wasn’t sure if they were released yet, curious to hear what models they use.
    Just going to use the Apple 'Dive' app which I think is basically a bottom timer. Don't think it's released yet, but no way I'd pay the subscription fee for the Oceanic App. The dive mode only turns on at 1m, so been unable to have a play with it so far.
    Last edited by Manxdiver; 27th September 2022 at 22:04.

What’s the lug to lug on these?

Or the 12-6 measurement I guess?

Master
    Mine arrived today , find it far better than the previous Apple Watches I’ve had . Great to have the bigger screen , I can see it now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    Mines on order and should be arriving today; green strap oils good.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Mine arrives Monday.

Think I have cocked up on the strap size. Ordered 2 medium Alpines but have a bad feeling should of ordered Large.

Guess depends if you want hook near centre of wrist or out the way up the side

Master
    Mine is here and love it at 96% since worn from last night 7pm, which is impressive. Offer but I find it sits more comfortable then my 7 did.

Blog Entries
    It’s not a watch though. (Joke)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    Mine is here and love it at 96% since worn from last night 7pm, which is impressive. Offer but I find it sits more comfortable then my 7 did.

Cool. Thought the trail bands were not out until next month for some reason

I have just got one.

Initial impressions are pretty good - as Martyn said it's not a watch (it's much more).

Mine is on a medium alpine strap, I have a 7.5" wrist - photo below shows the position of the clip.

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the pic of the Alpine. You happy with the hook position?

Im around 7 to 7.2 I reckon and went with the medium arriving Monday

Took mine for a fairly shallow 10m night dive last Thursday. Pretty pleased with it overall - didn't flood (phew) and accurately tracked my Shearwater dive computer. Only shows basic information which is all I needed it for. Bought the yellow ocean strap this week which is a bit pricey at £99 but TBH no worse than buying an Isofrane. Really pleased with it so far.

Thanks for the pic of the Alpine. You happy with the hook position?

Im around 7 to 7.2 I reckon and went with the medium arriving Monday
    Yep, sits very flat and not been an issue.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I think these look really good but £850 is too much for me considering I don't dive. I've gone with the standard Series 8. I've even downgraded from cellular to just the normal model as I realised I didn't ever use the watch without my phone and stopped paying a monthly watch fee.

Master
    Cool. Thought the trail bands were not out until next month for some reason
    No idea really, have this trail one as I do out door running and and have a starlight alpine medium currently. Have another trail medium arriving next week.

Loving the watch for the hatter life and still stocking a watch on my left wrist and this step counter.

Received mine today. (medium strap) A fantastic piece of tech!

These look great, are there many screen options (with preferably paired down colourways)?

Loads of screen options - all customisable from your phone.

Blog Entries
    Maybe I missed it - what is the lug-lug across the watch size pls - over 50mm?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Maybe I missed it - what is the lug-lug across the watch size pls - over 50mm?
    Apple support give case dimensions as height 49mm, width 44mm, depth14.4mm. Hope this helps.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Mine just arrived. Have Alpine and Ocean. The Ocean is sooo comfy. Not sure if will use Alpine

The watch screen itself is so much nicer to touch and look at. Much happier with this upgrade!

Mine just arrived. Have Alpine and Ocean. The Ocean is sooo comfy. Not sure if will use Alpine

The watch screen itself is so much nicer to touch and look at. Much happier with this upgrade!
    If by chance the alpine strap is a medium green.. I’d be happy to buy it off you, if you decide to sell it.

Craftsman
    This watch is really growing on me. It looks enormous on paper, but every picture I see makes it look more than manageable. Is it oodles better than the standard Apple Watch?

Quote Originally Posted by famyklebust View Post
    This watch is really growing on me. It looks enormous on paper, but every picture I see makes it look more than manageable. Is it oodles better than the standard Apple Watch?
    I'd say it certainly looks better and has some added functionality like the large 'action' button, but unless you are actually going to use it diving I wouldn't say it is massively going to change your life compared to a standard apple watch.
    Last edited by Christian; 12th October 2022 at 09:36.

Quote Originally Posted by famyklebust View Post
    This is also my concern.

I have a 6.75" wrist and why would never consider a mechanical watch that was 49mm in diameter.
    Those of you who already have one and a similar sized wrist, do they look ok and not out of place?