closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Apple Watch Ultra

New Apple Watch Ultra

WANT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks wicked and cheaper than I thought it was going to be.

Video for anyone interested

https://youtu.be/4Pa6bBhmKVE

Master
    Blog Entries
    Slick marketing as expected. The dive part looks amazing.

Looks like a cool design but i wouldn't want to climb a mountain with that big display on wrist

Ordered one with the midnight elastomer diving strap - delivery 23rd 😀

Master
    First time my interest has been slightly piqued by an apple watch. Dropped again straight away when I saw the battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    First time my interest has been slightly piqued by an apple watch. Dropped again straight away when I saw the battery life.
    60 hours seems pretty good?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post

Wonder what low power settings is though?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Yeah it's pretty clear in normal use it is still going to struggle to last a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    According to that video with bad tracking, one that doesn't exist yet and is coming in a future software update.

Looks good but I wouldn't spend £850 on it. I do a fair amount of running and the standard version is fine for me.

Priced too high for what it is IMO. I’ll stick with my cheap and cheerful Fitbit Charge 5.

Looks great, price is a big above expectation for something that will last 3-4 years max before upgrading. Battery life of 60hrs relies on an 'optimised' battery setting, standard battery life is 36hrs which is not a huge improvement vs. the standard apple watch?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jsong6688 View Post
    Looks great, price is a big above expectation for something that will last 3-4 years max before upgrading. Battery life of 60hrs relies on an 'optimised' battery setting, standard battery life is 36hrs which is not a huge improvement vs. the standard apple watch?
    Pretty sure a 100% battery improvement over the standard watch is fairly huge. But depends how you feel about the normal battery life which a lot of people feel is low.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Pretty sure a 100% battery improvement over the standard watch is fairly huge. But depends how you feel about the normal battery life which a lot of people feel is low.
    I personally felt it was low on the 7, which is the first Apple Watch I’ve owned. I wore it a lot to start with but I got annoyed with having to charge it all the time.

(Side note) Also…I got super annoyed that you can’t reply to WhatsApp messages on it! Only iMessage…

Master

Real life usage will still be an everyday charge I reckon

SydR
    I personally felt it was low on the 7, which is the first Apple Watch I’ve owned. I wore it a lot to start with but I got annoyed with having to charge it all the time.

(Side note) Also…I got super annoyed that you can’t reply to WhatsApp messages on it! Only iMessage…

I have the Apple Watch 7 cellular edition and can reply to WhatsApp messages. You do need to click on the message when it is onscreen to do so but it is possible.

I also don’t use the always on display. I have it on raise to wake instead. Gets 36 hours between charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    Real life usage will still be an everyday charge I reckon
    Think I'll stick to Garmin Fenix!

That's is, until you get used to the 2 or 3 weeks you can get out of a Garmin Fenix.

My loyalty to Garmin remains unshaken.

:D

Master

I can reply to WhatsApp on mine

SydR
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul J View Post
    That's is, until you get used to the 2 or 3 weeks you can get out of a Garmin Fenix.

My loyalty to Garmin remains unshaken.

:D
    I get even longer on my Garmin Enduro and Coros Vertix 2 watches. The Coros is amazing!

Personally I think the standard Apple Watch 8 on the rubber loop (or band) is the standout option from the new range. At £419-449 depending on size, it gives practically all the functionality (only useful thing missing is the 40m dive specification IMO but the series 8 is still fine for swimming), at half the cost. Also 49mm sounds huge, 41/45mm sounds a more comfortable fit for the majority.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Personally I think the standard Apple Watch 8 on the rubber loop (or band) is the standout option from the new range. At £419-449 depending on size, it gives practically all the functionality (only useful thing missing is the 40m dive specification IMO but the series 8 is still fine for swimming), at half the cost. Also 49mm sounds huge, 41/45mm sounds a more comfortable fit for the majority.
    I was about to argue with you, then I saw this pic:

Looks like a freaking dive computer.

I still kinda want though...

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsan View Post
    It’s already been seriously bashed around, judging by the state of the (bezel?)
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    It’s already been seriously bashed around, judging by the state of the (bezel?)

I think it's just the way the light was catching it

Craftsman
    Big fan of Apple watches. Wear one every working day, but the Ultra would just get in the way, get bashed on everything and quite frankly look oversized on my small wrists.

I get some of the features and in particular, it’s nice to see extra screen protection. Be interesting to see views from those on here that have ordered one.

I do think it generally looks ugly though.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think it looks good in a hiking / adventure kind of way if your an outdoors person. Pity cant get a week out of these things battery wise. Guess give it 20 years!

Master
    I'm not interested because while I love gadgets, Apple stuff is ace, I just like having something that has no registration, or frequent charging, or updates, etc. What I would say though is it look huge in those pictures, but if they are iPhone pictures it is likely the 26mm equivalent lens that makes everything look huge on a wrist shot.

I like apple in the term's of phones or tablets but I don't think I could wear any gadget watches.
    I bought a Samsung one once & sold it within 2 day's, they just aren't for me even though they can be very useful I suppose.

Sent from a technical device.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsan View Post
    I was about to argue with you, then I saw this pic:

Looks like a freaking dive computer.

I still kinda want though...
    What on earth

Apple Watch Ultra. It wears *you*.

Hmm. I want to like this and probably have the wrist for it, but it seems like a lot of money for an ultimately disposable watch - in 2 or 3 years they’ll release one that makes this look old school. I really never understand the battery issue - it’s not a watch, it’s a tiny phone on a strap. It needs charging every night like a phone. Even my rarely used series 4 will last a whole day quite easily. Personally I don’t really get the Apple Watch, I carry an iPhone and wear an automatic. I don’t need a big phone and a little phone!!

I wish they would just figure out a waterproof/good enough physical post and allow it to have fast charging. Induction charging is rubbish and continues to be the reason I can't get on with it.

Conversely, my Garmin Fenix 6 takes about an hour to charge and will go two weeks. I know its a totally different piece of hardware but thats the convenience it has to compete with, for me.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Hmm. I want to like this and probably have the wrist for it, but it seems like a lot of money for an ultimately disposable watch - in 2 or 3 years they’ll release one that makes this look old school. I really never understand the battery issue - it’s not a watch, it’s a tiny phone on a strap. It needs charging every night like a phone. Even my rarely used series 4 will last a whole day quite easily. Personally I don’t really get the Apple Watch, I carry an iPhone and wear an automatic. I don’t need a big phone and a little phone!!

Your big phone doesn’t do half of the stuff this little one can do. It’s packed full of additional sensors.

Master
    Your big phone doesn’t do half of the stuff this little one can do. It’s packed full of additional sensors.
    You're right, but I would actually prefer it IF you could turn off the little phone stuff. I know you can turn off the notifications. But I wish you could remove all the apps from a phone - messages, calls, blah blah - and instead turn it into a wrist...computer. What a Pro Trek should be.

I'd love an Apple Watch - this Apple Watch - that did...
    Exercise stuff
    Diving / swimming stuff
    Fancy stopwatches (the B55 I sold has better stopwatches with more features - unless there is a built in tachymeter with distances conversion somewhere?)
    Maps n GPS n stuff.

That would be ace. Just the choice to turn off and not need to get past all the other guff that my 'big phone' does.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    I wish they would just figure out a waterproof/good enough physical post and allow it to have fast charging. Induction charging is rubbish and continues to be the reason I can't get on with it.

Conversely, my Garmin Fenix 6 takes about an hour to charge and will go two weeks. I know its a totally different piece of hardware but thats the convenience it has to compete with, for me.
    The lack of fast charging is a mystery, my Mac charges faster than an Apple Watch, and the wireless charging is very environmentally inefficient.

I rarely find the battery an issue, I don't wear a watch whilst sleeping so take it off at night and leave to charge over night.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox78 View Post
    The lack of fast charging is a mystery, my Mac charges faster than an Apple Watch, and the wireless charging is very environmentally inefficient.
    Presumably its because induction sucks, never seen an induction fast-charger. They can do riciculous things over the old copper but while the watch is limited to a magnet, this is what we're stuck with. Fingers crossed it gets USB-C once they're forced to add it to everything they manufacture...if that ever happens.

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    I rarely find the battery an issue, I don't wear a watch whilst sleeping so take it off at night and leave to charge over night.
    True, but then it renders the sleep tracking unusable. Its an uncharacteristic blunder in logic from Apple.

Well.......Im in love....... the battery ls a shame though, the point made about sleep tracking is valid indeed.

But.....like all things Apple it makes you want it despite of some flaws. I may hold off until version 2 arrives.

Did they state if it was grade 5 Titanium?...

After a fews Jacks tonight I dare say ill wake cup with it ordered.....Standard for a Friday night .

Master
    Saw earlier that the repair costs are something like 2/3 of a new one so I’d recommend considering Apple care on it!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Well.......Im in love....... the battery ls a shame though, the point made about sleep tracking is valid indeed.

But.....like all things Apple it makes you want it despite of some flaws. I may hold off until version 2 arrives.

Did they state if it was grade 5 Titanium?...

After a fews Jacks tonight I dare say ill wake cup with it ordered.....Standard for a Friday night .
    Haha - tempted for my weekly Hikes lol

Now which strap looks the best?

A friend of mine in the diving industry told me he’d heard the Oceanic diving App promoted in the launch video was going to require an expensive annual subscription. Hopefully they’ll be some third party developers along soon.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Manxdiver View Post
    A friend of mine in the diving industry told me he’d heard the Oceanic diving App promoted in the launch video was going to require an expensive annual subscription. Hopefully they’ll be some third party developers along soon.
    Must admit when I saw in the video that it was a separate app I did wonder if it was a third party £££

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Must admit when I saw in the video that it was a separate app I did wonder if it was a third party £££

https://www.oceanicworldwide.com/oce...v=79cba1185463

You’re right of course, but the information those sensors produce - whilst very clever and technically amazing - isn’t anything I really need. I already think I spend too much time on my phone so having a little phone constantly connected on my wrist doesn’t appeal. Ymmv of course. I rather like taking my phone and putting it in a cupboard when I get home!

Not sure why charging daily is an issue…doesn’t bother me. I would prefer if apple got rid of the rubbish induction charging though. When you travel as an apple user, having to take so many cables is a pain (lightning, USB-C and watch charger)…you’d have thought they would have sorted that out by now.

I guess there are so many differing opinions because there are so many use cases for the apple watch. Some people only use it as a sports watch, some a fitness tracker, some for sleep tracking, others as a communication and message alert device.

$80 a year app for recreational dive computer app.

Too expensive to make sense for regular divers, but will be popular with occasional divers, I'm sure (they have daily and monthly app prices too)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Not sure why charging daily is an issue…doesn’t bother me.
    As someone said, sleep tracking doesn't work if you are charging the phone overnight.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 10th September 2022 at 16:42.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    $80 a year app for recreational dive computer app.

Too expensive to make sense for regular divers, but will be popular with occasional divers, I'm sure (they have daily and monthly app prices too)

As someone said, sleep tracking doesn't work if you are charging the phone overnight.

M
    Can you aggregate data? Just need 2 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    You’re right of course, but the information those sensors produce - whilst very clever and technically amazing - isn’t anything I really need. I already think I spend too much time on my phone so having a little phone constantly connected on my wrist doesn’t appeal. Ymmv of course. I rather like taking my phone and putting it in a cupboard when I get home!

Fair. I’m mulling over how useful I’d really find all the extra data too. Interesting sure, and the health benefits are notable. If I had any sort of heart concerns I’d have an Apple Watch in a heartbeat (excuse the pun). But I don’t, so for now I think I’m leaning towards passing on it. Every year they edge closer though, soon enough the argument will be too compelling to pass up (for me anyway)!

Fair. I’m mulling over how useful I’d really find all the extra data too. Interesting sure, and the health benefits are notable. If I had any sort of heart concerns I’d have an Apple Watch in a heartbeat (excuse the pun). But I don’t, so for now I think I’m leaning towards passing on it. Every year they edge closer though, soon enough the argument will be too compelling to pass up (for me anyway)!
    We’re on the same page by the sounds of it. For me if it had blood pressure monitoring I can see that being useful, and if it could test blood sugar and I was diabetic (I’m not) it would be a no-brainer imho. It’s also useful if you are expecting a call or message but don’t want to carry your phone around the house. I just found myself turning off all the alerts as I found it irritating - then realised it made more sense to just wear a normal watch so mine has been unused in a box for about 2 years now. I really thought I’d love it but I can’t think of another gadget or watch that I lost interest in so quickly in spite of how cool/nifty it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Can you aggregate data? Just need 2 of them.
    Not sure what you mean.

There's a 'family' deal as well.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?