closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: If you were downsizing the collection?........ Rolex Content

If you were downsizing the collection?........ Rolex Content

Evening all,

So having not really worn my finer swiss timepieces over the Covid period and now more comfortable with a Apple watch or similar (sacrilege I know) I'm giving some thought to downsizing the collection.

I have a Panerai Luminor GMT which was an engagement present and therefore has to stay but otherwise would like trim 2 of 3.

Objectives aren't really about fund raising but makes sense whilst values are strong (albeit dipping slightly) and just because they just sit around as an risk of loss or theft now.

Also as I've been out of the market for a few years I've slightly lost touch with values. Happy to take guidance if anyone is willing!

Rolex Submariner 16610LV - 2006 Box and receipt. Lovely condition.

Rolex GMT Master II - 2006 - Box and receipt. Very good condition.

Rolex Datejust Turnograph - 2003 - Box and receipt. As above.

The other alternative is to sell all three and buy a single watch with some of the funds. Albeit you could strongly argue that the GMT Master is already that perfect all rounder though I am kind of tempted with a single new watch with the full package that no one else has owned.

Maybe this is just a bit of fun as ultimately its a very personal decision but interested in the Forums thoughts.

Cheers.

Chris

Master
    If it’s not a cash raising exercise I would just keep them.

Have you worn them at all? Maybe a few rotations and you might like wearing them again?

Master
    If it weren’t for your testicles I’d ditch the Panerai first.

Next to go is the ToG.

LV and GMT to stay. Hot models from the sweet-spot of Rolex Professional series evolution.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    TOG go first.
    Then for me probably the LV out the door and keep the GMT.

Or all 3 gone and 126710BLRO in on oyster? (if I was machinating thats what id do I think YMMV)

I would never, ever advice anyone to sell any 4- or 5-digit Rolexes but I never cared for the LV and the prices are now in all time high. I mean they're crazy. Just different bezel insert and maxi dial increases the price so much?

Personally I'd sell the LV and buy a standard black 16610 to replace it.

Master
    Don’t act too hastily - repent in leisure and all that! TOG then review in a few months time.

Not much love for the ToG, that could be a future classic. Sell all three and consolidate with a larger white gold day date.

Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    I would never, ever advice anyone to sell any 4- or 5-digit Rolexes but I never cared for the LV and the prices are now in all time high. I mean they're crazy. Just different bezel insert and maxi dial increases the price so much?

Disagree - the maxi dial was a game changer and it looks stunning with a black bezel. However, I aways found the crown too small and fiddly on the 5 digit GMTs. Given that I love the modern iteration of the ToG I’d let the GMT go.

Journeyman
    I’d sell the GMT as easiest to replace. The LV and Turnograph are both interesting pieces.

Or I’d sell all three and get a nice PM DD or Daytona.

Doesn’t seem a great time to sell at the moment. I tried lusting a DJ and Sub on TRF and didn’t get a single response. I couldn’t even get a quote from GMG. So much for the Rolex liquidity mantra..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Not much love for the ToG, that could be a future classic. Sell all three and consolidate with a larger white gold day date.
    White gold day date has my vote. YUMMY.

Master
    Ah no, not an Apple Watch ewwww, phone on the wrist that gives useless info and always nagging. Sell the Apple and others and consolidate to a black 5 digit sub, best all rounder one watch. Take a break from the hobby, then when your watch mojo returns, you can reach back in to the watch fund.

Thanks for the various response and pretty much covered all my thinking so far....

- Never sell a classic SS sports Rolex - Yes I know and have made that mistake in the past but as others have said it does feel like values may have peaked at least for a while. Interestingly Watchfinder just refused to even quote for LV as a straight sale!

- Knew the TOG wouldn't get the love it deserves - But I really like it and tbh have probably worn it more than the others as its a great under the cuff/stealth Rolex. Also it releases the least cash.

- Its a phase you're going through and you'll regret it - Maybe but its been the best part of 3 years now and every time I put a nice watch on again I enjoy the feeling of being free again when the featherlight Apple watch appears on my wrist.

- Sell them all and an buy overpriced mugging magnet - The thought had crossed my mind. See my earlier thread about best watch for £10k or maybe even a Root Beer for a real change. But not sure I'll ever get comfortable with that much obvious value on my wrist.

I should mention I'm lucky enough to have a 1990's gold Day Date with president bracelet from my dear Dad who passed away during Covid. I'd need to tone it down with a leather strap but that could be a decent option possibly go under the radar.....as daft as that sounds.

Decisions, decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Will be doing exactly this if they ever get the onyx dial from the YG DD40 into the WG but hopefully without the baguettes

It sounds like you have lost the love Chris, but they are an amazing collection of watches. I understand the Panerai being personally important, but that would have been my sell first option.

In all honesty, I wouldn't sell any of them, the LV and GMT are absolute classics, and I've always really liked the ToG. Did you ever really expect a WIS to advise selling ?(!)

Good luck with whatever you decide

Dave

Sent from my Google Pixelbook Go using Tapatalk

I would keep the gmt and the LV.

If you sourced all 3 bezels and both oyster and jubilee bracelets for the GMT you have an endless array of configurations to strap on. My personal favourite is the coke with a jubilee. The obvious classic being the Pepsi/jubilee combo. The black and oyster make for a very versatile combination that could rival a sub.

Personally, I would sell the LV and keep the others.
    The ToG is much dressier, smaller and subtle than the others.
    The LV is totally overvalued for what it is.
    And the GMT is Rolex's best gift to the world.
    I wouldn't bother buying anything else if you have lost the passion for it.

Of course this has nothing to future values, but you'll have done well, so no particular harm in cashing in.

Master
    Well, especially based on your second post, which gives the impression that you've thought it through quite carefully and you're simply not getting much enjoyment out of the watches anymore, I would flog 'em all and wear the DD on a strap, as you mentioned. They're just watches.

After all the chat yesterday thought I’d continue the exercise and actually stick a nice watch on today.

This was the most accessible with others hidden away somewhere for safe keeping.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    After all the chat yesterday thought I’d continue the exercise and actually stick a nice watch on today.

This was the most accessible with others hidden away somewhere for safe keeping.

Love that. Sell it to me ;-)

Master
    Blog Entries
    The last to go would be the GMT. I quite like the quirkiness of this TO

Master
    Thanks for the various response and pretty much covered all my thinking so far....

- Never sell a classic SS sports Rolex - Yes I know and have made that mistake in the past but as others have said it does feel like values may have peaked at least for a while. Interestingly Watchfinder just refused to even quote for LV as a straight sale!

- Knew the TOG wouldn't get the love it deserves - But I really like it and tbh have probably worn it more than the others as its a great under the cuff/stealth Rolex. Also it releases the least cash.

- Its a phase you're going through and you'll regret it - Maybe but its been the best part of 3 years now and every time I put a nice watch on again I enjoy the feeling of being free again when the featherlight Apple watch appears on my wrist.

- Sell them all and an buy overpriced mugging magnet - The thought had crossed my mind. See my earlier thread about best watch for £10k or maybe even a Root Beer for a real change. But not sure I'll ever get comfortable with that much obvious value on my wrist.

I should mention I'm lucky enough to have a 1990's gold Day Date with president bracelet from my dear Dad who passed away during Covid. I'd need to tone it down with a leather strap but that could be a decent option possibly go under the radar.....as daft as that sounds.

Decisions, decisions.

Hi - Remember me, I bought a GMT11 off you and that was the one that a couple of girls and a guy tried to get off my wrist when in Spain, fortunately thanks to my wife acting as a bodyguard they failed.

I have quite a few friends in the UK Police and after talking to them it seems that about 80% of Rolex thefts are carried out on men on the wrong side of seventy and in the main, healthy men such as you are relatively safe from anything happening to them. So I would not be unduly worried about wearing a good watch.

I would endorse your idea of toning down the Gold Day Date as that is very risky with the Presidential Bracelet on.

Master

Decisions, decisions.
    Happy to bid you for the LV if WF haven’t :D

Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post

I had that exact same TOG which I sold partly to purchase a 16610LV. Like another poster I never warmed to to green bezel - I suspect if I’d kept the TOG - which I hardly ever see tbh - I’d still have it

I get the impression you’re not a collector or investor (me neither), so I do see your point about moving on pieces you don’t wear anymore. Sounds like the GMT was your favourite based on the OP, so I’d keep that, sell the other two, then revisit whether you even want the GMT anymore a few months down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Ah no, not an Apple Watch ewwww, phone on the wrist that gives useless info and always nagging. Sell the Apple and others and consolidate to a black 5 digit sub, best all rounder one watch. Take a break from the hobby, then when your watch mojo returns, you can reach back in to the watch fund.
    It’s an interesting proposition for an Apple Watch these days. I haven’t succumbed yet but I’m very tempted. The days of them only offering useless info are long gone IMO. Nowadays the health tracking functionality is simply excellent, lots of inbuilt safety functionality (the new version yesterday added automatic crash detection too), ability to run an ECG, ability to predict ovulation for ladies (well blokes too I guess but I can predict that for you without the watch ), blood oxygen, sleep cycles etc. Starting to make a super solid case for themselves as a genuinely useful tool, not just a notification centre for the phone like they used to be.

Then there’s the new Apple Watch Ultra just launched. A big boy in titanium which is a genuine robust diver (down to 40m scuba diving).

On the flip side, there’s obsolescence pretty much built in, and they work best as a one watch solution which will naturally go against the grain for many here (I struggle for these reasons to make the leap). Also looks are of course subjective, I think the aesthetic is clean personally.

Maybe sell all three and get a Patek as a family heirloom?

Master
    I personally think it would be a shame to sell any of the 3, as they are all quite different a lovely in their own way. I have an LV, and although I have been tempted to sell it a couple of times, it was a watch that I had wanted for some time, and know that if I had sold it, then nothing would really feel as special as it.

Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    I personally think it would be a shame to sell any of the 3, as they are all quite different a lovely in their own way. I have an LV, and although I have been tempted to sell it a couple of times, it was a watch that I had wanted for some time, and know that if I had sold it, then nothing would really feel as special as it.
    Yes there is a lot of that on the background. I had an LV early after the initial release and sold it and then hankered after one for many years as the price crept up.

I’ve had 4 previous GMT Masters and always felt that it was the perfect all rounder, so kept going back.

I’m very lucky that it’s not life changing amounts of money, so if I sold would have to be 100% certain it’s the right thing to do.

Master
    Always regret selling my TOG when I got a Submariner, and wish I could somehow buy it back. I'd be tempted to get rid of the GMT.

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Sell the TOG & the Sub, keep the GMT and buy an Explorer 124270 to replace......diver - Panerai, traveller - GMT & all-rounder - Explorer, all bases covered.