closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega knowledge required please

Craftsman

Omega knowledge required please

Hi All,

I've been asked by my daughters father-in-law to have a look at an Omega watch he has been given by his father.

It's about 34mm, 9ct Gold case, obviously non Omega bracelet. Automatic with signed crown (although crown is quite worn). Watch is in very good condition and think it would clean up nicely. Running strong, I'm presuming it's from the 1970's perhaps and probably wasn't a particular expensive watch when new.

Could anyone advise what model it may be and approximate age, along with a rough current value? I've not opened the case back so don't know movement number etc.

Not my cup of tea to be fair, but if it was I'd lose the horrible bracelet and think it would look much nicer on a black croc strap.

Thanks

Neil

Grand Master
    It’s what it says on the dial, an Omega automatic, nothing to add!

The watch is almost certainly 1950s judging from the style.

By virtue if its design this watch will not be waterproof, chances are it’ll have had moisture in at some point in the past so the movement may have some staining and tarnish.

Case would benefit from careful refinishing by someone like me, it’ll benefit from being serviced too regardless of how you think it’s running.

After servicing, refinishing and a decent leather strap it’ll make a v. nice dress watch. Hard to put a value on it without more information so I won’t speculate.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    It’s what it says on the dial, an Omega automatic, nothing to add!

The watch is almost certainly 1950s judging from the style.

By virtue if its design this watch will not be waterproof, chances are it’ll have had moisture in at some point in the past so the movement may have some staining and tarnish.

Case would benefit from careful refinishing by someone like me, it’ll benefit from being serviced too regardless of how you think it’s running.

After servicing, refinishing and a decent leather strap it’ll make a v. nice dress watch. Hard to put a value on it without more information so I won’t speculate.
    Thank you for the info. If it was mine it would be heading in your direction straight away for a refurb. It would, as you say, make a very nice dress watch, if a little small for my taste.

Grand Master
    It’s likely to be early 50s with a cal 350 (or similar) bumper automatic movement. If you rock it from side to side the bumper action of the rotor will confirm this. I bought a similar watch in 18ct rose gold several years ago as a fixer upper, tgat was around 1951 and the lug shape on this looks v. similar.

Most 9ct models have English Dennison cases and were assembled in the UK, this minimised the high import taxes that prevailed in those days.

Craftsman
    Thank you,

Nothing much to add except to ask if there is any hallmark visible externally other than the 9c ".375" shown in your pictures (could do with one of the case back)? The lug holes are showing significant wear that, I guess, goes with a gold case. To me, the dial appears particularly clean. Maybe it has been refinished?

Until you pop off the case back and find the serial # and calibre #, plus any hallmarks, makers mark and anything else that has been scratch there during a service, I think we're all working in the dark.

Journeyman
    I nearly bought one like this last year, I was offering around £500 which the seller agreed to. I was just guessing the value really. Would be interest to find out too. Suggest looking on eBay for similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Looks awfully like a Dennison 13308 Auto. I suspect is actually from the mid to late 1950s so will have the 501 full rotor Auto movement (though it is possible that case was used earlier with the bumper movement as Paul suggests). The case was made in Birmingham, the movement Switzerland. If it is solid 9K gold as we assume, the value when serviced is maybe circa £600-700 (I sold a 1956 one a couple of years ago at this level), pre-servicing, maybe knock £150-200 off that. I don't see anything there that makes me think it has been refinished.

Here was mine, different dial but very similar case:

Last edited by Padders; 6th September 2022 at 20:08.

Master
    i have a very simular dialed seamaster in a 18ct gold denison case hallmarked 1958.