closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Wiped the OS on my MacBook, will Apple reinstall?

Wiped the OS on my MacBook, will Apple reinstall?

In trying to get my 2015 MacBook ready for resale, I stupidly ended up completely clearing the operating system.
    Don’t ask me how but i did it.
    Anyone know if Apple are likely to reinstall it if i took it to a genius bar?
    It is in my name, bought new by me.

Short answer is I would think so.

You can ask them directly by connecting to Apple UK with your Apple ID (I suppose you also have a smartphone to surf since you can post here)
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    You should be fine. I’m sure that the same thing happened to someone else on here.
    What’s the MacBook out of interest?

I am sure you do it yourself youtube will show you how

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Are you sure you have erased absolutely everything? AFAIK there's some files stored on a separate partition for recovery mode, that should get you up and running again.

Perhaps try getting it in recovery mode then choosing the second option down to reinstall the OS.

If you follow this link it'll show you how - shouldn't take long:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20...-recovery-mode

I managed to replace a brand new SSD hard drive into a 2014 MacMini with no problems.
    The method I used was to connect a spare drive onto an existing Apple computers USB slot (in my case it was the old Mac and new SSD - but any working Apple computer with a USB stick should work OK)
    There is a boot-up program to copy onto the USB drive to allow to OS to do a clean re-install - check the Techy websites for the correct procedures.
    The "Reinstall OS" option is likely to be in the "Drive" menu.

Then try to boot up the wiped MAC with the usb drive while connected to the internet, and apple will be able to download the full OS from the internet as a clean install to a permanent drive of your choice.
    Note: you will need about 6-8 hours for the install to complete - keep checking the progress as it will ask for prompts at various stages of the install.
    On the plus side - the disc space used was minimal with only 1x brand new OS, compared to the older hard drive with the OS archives going back to 2014.

Edit: the recovery mode mentioned above could have been the program I used.
    I am sure it was in the drive menu where the partition options were.
    You will need to boot up your wiped drive by pressing the correct keyboard buttons during start-up, or use a separate MAC computer to recover the OS from scratch using a USB stick.
    Last edited by Reeny; 5th September 2022 at 09:48.

I doubt you managed to remove boot partition. switch it on and choose internet recovery.

Master
    Yes, they can you can contact support and try and book an appointment. Not sure if they will charge or not; but you can do internet recovery? Have you tried? Does not take long depending on internet speed.
    Last edited by shoppy; 5th September 2022 at 10:37.

Thanks for the tips gents. I’ll dig it out and try what you suggest.
    From memory it’s a blank screen with no obvious choices showing.
    Tbh I’ve boxed it up n just forgotten about it.

Master
    Done it myself in the past to erase and recover. It's pretty easy to do using the recovery mode from the links already given. Specifically https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guid...0#mchl69906860 Just follow the instructions carefully and it will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Done it myself in the past to erase and recover. It's pretty easy to do using the recovery mode from the links already given. Specifically https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guid...0#mchl69906860 Just follow the instructions carefully and it will be fine.
    This is the answer. I nuked the OS on an M1 Mac (testing disaster recovery) and the process is mechanically the same.

Thank you Yoda(s)