closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 28 of 28

Thread: Found a Breitling on the street, how can I get it back to its owner?

  1. #1
    Master Rocket Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,365

    Found a Breitling on the street, how can I get it back to its owner?

    When we were leaving a restaurant in central London tonight my girlfriend spotted a watch on the pavement. It was a Breitling (a current model with a 4k rrp). One of the springbars had popped out but the strap was still attached on the deployant clasp. I asked around at the restaurant and nearby bar to see if anyone was looking for it. I'll be taking it to a police station in the morning but I am wondering if there is anything else I can do to attempt to find the owner, apart from posting here? I think I would be pretty gutted if I'd lost my watch like that!

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 9th September 2022 at 05:41.

  2. #2
    If they've registered the warranty, maybe reporting it to Breitling could alert the owner?

  3. #3
    Master Rocket Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,365
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsan View Post
    If they've registered the warranty, maybe reporting it to Breitling could alert the owner?
    Good idea, I've emailed Breitling to ask if they can do this.

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Master mindforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,493
    The owner is lucky it was found by an honest watch lover like you!

    Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    dunfermline fife
    Posts
    1,137
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    The owner is lucky it was found by an honest watch lover like you!

    Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk
    Not many of that ilk now. Well done.

  6. #6
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    16,307
    Indeed. The owner will be astonished Iím sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    The owner is lucky it was found by an honest watch lover like you!

    Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Master unclealec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    5,475
    Wow! How lucky is that! It's mine.

    I have so many - remind me of which model it is please.

  8. #8
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    16,307
    Any update Rocket Man?

  9. #9
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,408
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    The owner is lucky it was found by an honest watch lover like you!
    Absolutely. Bravo. (Any update?)

  10. #10
    Master Rocket Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,365
    Breitling said they couldn't help but they thanked me for my honesty and my attempts to return the watch to its original owner.
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 2nd October 2022 at 11:25.

  11. #11
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    975
    It may be a bit old fashioned of me, but I wonder if the local/nearest Police station still have a lost and found register?
    If I'd lost an identifiable (s/no) expensive item I would try and report it, not least to obtain a reference number to report to support my insurance claim. In the old days, someone would report its loss, someone would, hopefully, report finding it and it could be returned to the lawful owner. The added bonus is that as the watch always belongs to the looser, you would establish that you took all reasonable steps to return it to the owner rather than just keeping it. Obviously that's not applicable here as the OP has to his credit tried his best to reunite the watch with it's owner.
    Of course, you may not get past the first, probably phone call, with the local station, but it may be worth a try.

  12. #12
    Master pacifichrono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    7,234
    I think it's yours, Rocket Man...you've earned it.

  13. #13
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    6,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    It may be a bit old fashioned of me, but I wonder if the local/nearest Police station still have a lost and found register?
    If I'd lost an identifiable (s/no) expensive item I would try and report it, not least to obtain a reference number to report to support my insurance claim. In the old days, someone would report its loss, someone would, hopefully, report finding it and it could be returned to the lawful owner. The added bonus is that as the watch always belongs to the looser, you would establish that you took all reasonable steps to return it to the owner rather than just keeping it. Obviously that's not applicable here as the OP has to his credit tried his best to reunite the watch with it's owner.
    Of course, you may not get past the first, probably phone call, with the local station, but it may be worth a try.
    He does say he was going to the local station the next day

  14. #14
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    975
    You are absolutely right, should have re-read the first post, must keep up at the back.

  15. #15
    What happens to the watch of no one claims it?

  16. #16
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    975
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    What happens to the watch of no one claims it?
    Interesting question.
    It looks like that since 2019, other than certain items (such as firearms etc), the Police are no longer responsible for lost/found items (cost saving exercise I guess).
    The OP has taken reasonable steps to trace the owner so can keep it.
    That being said, whilst he can have the use of it, I'm not sure that he can destroy it or sell it as I was always of the opinion that, following the principle of stolen property, it will always be the property of the owner (looser). The reason I say that is he could bump into the looser who recognises it and says "Hey, that's my watch, give it back". I've no doubt that, providing the OP was satisfied that person was actually the owner, he would return it. However not everyone would and there must be some law to protect the owner.

  17. #17
    Found this online. Not sure if true or not

    If you find something, hereís what you should do:
    1) Firstly, you should hand it in to the venue or transport provider where you found it.
    2) Or, if you find something in a public place (and itís not an item accepted by the police) then you must make a reasonable attempt to return it. This might involve: posting details on social media pages or putting up a notice in a local shop or business.
    If you have followed all of the above steps, the police have stated that you can then keep the property.

  18. #18
    OP,

    Kudos to you for your honesty.

    I've no idea of your knowledge or experience of the Breitling model but if it were me who'd found it I'd be putting photos of it on here to gauge whether it's a genuine or fake item.

    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

  19. #19
    Master Rocket Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,365
    Update: My local police station weren't interested in taking the watch, they said that as I had made reasonable attempts to return it to the original owner then I could keep it.

    I've tried posting on Facebook lost and found groups but to no avail.

    I've paid for searches on The Watch register and CheckMEND and it's not been registered as lost or stolen.

    Having examined the watch more closely, it needs a lot of work - the glass is scratched, the case needs a refinish, it has sustained some damage to one of the lugs from being dropped and it is most likely in need of a movement service. It looks like the original owner wore it pretty hard and the drop didn't help.

    Breitling have confirmed that it is genuine and that a service would cost upwards of £500, probably more depending on the extent of refinishing work required.

    Breitling's aren't normally my thing but I do like this one.

    My understanding is that I am now legally entitled to keep it, however I think that I would feel uneasy about selling it and I'm not sure where I would stand legally if I did so.

    This found watch is turning out to be a bit of a headache TBH!
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 30th October 2022 at 13:26.

  20. #20
    Good on you for trying so hard to reunite it with its owner.

    It might be worth seeing if there's an indie that can service it and replace parts like the crystal? Breitling charge quite a premium for their services, but yours may be one that is easily sorted by an indie.

  21. #21
    Master Rocket Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,365
    Breitling do indeed charge a premium and the watch needs a lot of work!

    I've been quoted £1,227 for a complete movement service, new crystal, new case middle (due to a dink/dent on one of the lugs) and a new strap.

    Replacement of the marked middle case is £220, alternatively they could refinish it as part of the service but the case would remain marked:
    "Marked = the identity of the product is affected, and traces will remain clearly visible, even after refurbishment."

    Independents won't touch it because they can't get the parts from Breitling. I guess it would be as good as new when it comes back though.
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 19th November 2022 at 23:04.

  22. #22
    What model is it?

  23. #23
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    753
    Blog Entries
    1
    Why donít you sell it on here and give the proceeds to the fundraiser?

    Itís clear that youíre a very honest person (as I hope most on here are) and that just keeping the watch is troubling your conscience.

  24. #24
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    16,307
    Is that what you'd have done?

    Quote Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
    Why donít you sell it on here and give the proceeds to the fundraiser?

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Breitling do indeed charge a premium and the watch needs a lot of work!

    I've been quoted £1,227 for a complete movement service, new crystal, new case middle (due to a dink/dent on one of the lugs) and a new strap.

    Replacement of the marked middle case is £220, alternatively they could refinish it as part of the service but the case would remain marked:
    "Marked = the identity of the product is affected, and traces will remain clearly visible, even after refurbishment."

    Independents won't touch it because they can't get the parts from Breitling. I guess it would be as good as new when it comes back though.
    Sounds like a very expensive 'find' therefore! Unless you're really into the watch, I can totally understand the hesitation, especially given the dilemma if the person ever appears.

  26. #26
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    753
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Is that what you'd have done?
    Yes, since you ask.

  27. #27
    Master murkeywaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Near the sea
    Posts
    6,921
    Well done for trying to find the new owner, in my eyes that effort should clear your conscience of anything you want to do with it.

    My missus once found a very chunky gold curb bracelet at a petrol pump, after talking with the station and making arrangements the owner was found and my missus personally handed it over, they thanked her.

    Another occasion her relatives found a little black velvet bag in a posh hotel safe and it was filled with jewels, again owner was found and they got a thank you, neither times did the owners offer anything for returning their expensive goods, I say that from a standing that I would have made sure the honest individual was rewarded for making the effort and returning my goods.

  28. #28
    Well done for trying to find the owner. I am surprised Breitling wouldn't keep it until the owner emerges via insurance claim or similar ?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information