Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Friends Became Famous

Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post
    A shooting friend of mine is married to that Christine Trevanion
    Is she related to Christina? 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    Is she related to Christina? 
    Damn you autocorrect🙄

Perhaps, this should be in an 'Old Friends Became Infamous' thread. It's topical, anyway.

A friend at school went on to become an MP and have an affair with Liz Truss; her marriage survived, his didn't.

Marco Pierre White lived just round the corner from our house when I was a youngster , though not sure if went to same primary school but one of his
    elder brothers did.
    Just heard on TV that Liz Truss went to same secondary school I went to , although she wasn't born until a year after I left (lucky me)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomps68 View Post
    Marco Pierre White lived just round the corner from our house when I was a youngster , though not sure if went to same primary school but one of his
    elder brothers did.
    Just heard on TV that Liz Truss went to same secondary school I went to , although she wasn't born until a year after I left (lucky me)
    So….. not good friends at all?

Did they know you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to college (1973) with Dave Winfield of the New York Yankees. At university he was a star pitcher and outfielder, and was pressed into service on the basketball team when three starters were expelled for starting a viscious brawl with the Ohio State team. Winfield became a basketball star, too. Following a baseball practice he stopped off at the track for the All-University track and field championships. In his baseball kit he high jumped 6'8". After graduation, Winfield was drafted by professional teams in baseball, basketball, and football (NFL).

Of course, he went on to be a Hall of Fame baseball player.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wednesday View Post
    The friend who died wasn't called Andrew, was he? It would hinge on whether you grew up in Matlock or moved there later.
    No, sorry. I’ve lived just outside Matlock for the last twenty years. Londoner by birth but grew up in Nottingham from 8 years old.

Master
    At Primary school - Sid Owen (actor) who was younger than me, not my friend but he knew my name and I knew his older brother.

At Secondary school - Joe Wright (director) who was in my year, not exactly my friend as he hung around a different crowd than me, I think we went to the same History and Sociology class.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I am! Class of 95. I'm guessing you are also?

Fellow tz-er Christian is also an alumni.
    Well, well……Class of 82 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I worked with a girl who was married to someone in Radiohead…. What was her name?
    Sorry had forgotten about this thread! - Angela

Master
    2 old school friends for me. One from primary went on to play a fairly major role in Eastenders, Masood Ahmed, and other TV programmes and another who I shared a couple of classes with at secondary plays PC Penhale in Doc Martin.
    Last edited by DavidL; 9th September 2022 at 23:09.

Master
    I went to school on the same bus as BBC deputy political editor Vicki Young...
    Several alumni of my old school became famous but none were friends, all were before or since.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Sorry had forgotten about this thread! - Angela

It was bloomin’ years ago (28?)…. She was quite posh and worked with me at DeMontfort Uni sorting out homes for students (I was about 20 and she was a year or three older)

She may have been called Angela, I don’t fully recall!

Master
    I've a few who became infamous! I'll get my coat!

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    So….. not good friends at all?

Did they know you?

No not good friends but did know me as we all played around same area so acquaintances , Liz Truss obviously not , but as with some
    earlier posts a bit of thread drift.

Master
    I went to school with the DJ Paul Morrell.. I can’t claim to have been best mates or anything but we were acquaintances at least. He loaned me a Massive Attack cassette tape which I went to his house to get and I remember then he had racks and racks of tapes so was clearly well on the path to what would become a successful career even then!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    Well, well……Class of 82 for me.

As in graduated in '82, or started in '82? My wife was there from '83 to '87. Her brother '81 to '85. Rachel and Robert Burke. My neice, my mother, uncle and mother in law are all Poole Grammar alumni too.

I was a Bellemoor boy, Francis Benali (kicks a bag of pig skin) was a year ahead of me Chris Ship (ITV news) a couple of years behind. Craigs Davids (warble-ist) also passed through those doors, but many years after I bid them farewell.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexus04 View Post
    Not someone I actually went to school with but a boy who lived a few doors away from my Mum became one of Britains worst serial killers. I was probably about 12 and he was about 15 and if he wanted a ride on your bike you had to let him. I could have told you then he was a raving psychopath.

He is also one of Britains longest serving prisoners. Patrick Mackay was not to be messed with even at that age.

A girl called Andrea Arnold who I knew as a teen has become a very successful film and tv director
    Just googled him - he might be released this month.

Sent from my moto g31(w) using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    As in graduated in '82, or started in '82? My wife was there from '83 to '87. Her brother '81 to '85. Rachel and Robert Burke. My neice, my mother, uncle and mother in law are all Poole Grammar alumni too.

I was a Bellemoor boy, Francis Benali (kicks a bag of pig skin) was a year ahead of me Chris Ship (ITV news) a couple of years behind. Craigs Davids (warble-ist) also passed through those doors, but many years after I bid them farewell.
    I left in 82…having started in 75.

My wife was at the sister school for girls - Parkstone Grammar - from 78 to 84

Last edited by Pete D; 14th September 2022 at 18:26.

Master
    On the flip side of fame, a very good friend of mine had a one night stand with a young women who was identified as a serial killer of children shortly after.

He is often reminded of it…