closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Curse of the dust

Curse of the dust

Hi all. Just wanted an opinion on what may sound like a trivial issue.

I collected the BLNR from my AD a week ago. We have a fairly good relationship and they’ve taken care of me over the years.

Didn’t think much on day of collection and proceeded to wear the watch like any other. 2 days after collection, I noticed a dust particle on the underside of the crystal.

I’m torn between sending it in to get it removed or just wearing it as is. The watch is keeping amazing time +-1s per day. I’m more annoyed with lug scratches and dings than I would be with dust on the crystal. I know for a fact that if I sent it in through the AD or to RSC myself that it’s going to come back with lug marks or caseback scratches.

Or, I could leave it for a few months before sending it in. (That way it would be well marked from use and I wouldn’t feel as bad).

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Photos as attached.

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220901/fdd5f0b22f92cd236ff786da365e7a5a.jpg[/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kinyik; 3rd September 2022 at 18:10.

Once seen I'd never be happy.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

That's some depressingly poor QC...

I'd return it for fixing - you know it's going to acquire wear-and-tear in your ownership anyway, so perhaps just brace yourself for what the service-chimps are going to wreak?

I'd be wanting that sorted.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Grand Master
    Agree that it shouldn't be there, but I really wouldn't worry about it.

As to your concern that returning it for work will result in scratches and marks being incurred, that's crazy. It's possible to work on a watch and leave no marks whatsoever and that's what I`d expect from Rolex or a Rolex accredited repairer, your logic is seriously flawed on this point.

If it bothers you that much have it rectified, but I wouldn't. One of my own watches, serviced my good self a few years ago, has a similar spec of dust but I can`t be bothered taking the movement out of the case to fix it, if it was a customers watch it would've been 100% perfect before it left me because it has to be, but personally I see it as an insignificant issue.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    That's some depressingly poor QC...
    Nobody's perfect........not even Rolex!

Curse of the dust

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Agree that it shouldn't be there, but I really wouldn't worry about it.

As to your concern that returning it for work will result in scratches and marks being incurred, that's crazy. It's possible to work on a watch and leave no marks whatsoever and that's what I`d expect from Rolex or a Rolex accredited repairer, your logic is seriously flawed on this point.

If it bothers you that much have it rectified, but I wouldn't. One of my own watches, serviced my good self a few years ago, has a similar spec of dust but I can`t be bothered taking the movement out of the case to fix it, if it was a customers watch it would've been 100% perfect before it left me because it has to be, but personally I see it as an insignificant issue.
    Well I’ve dropped of a 114060 at St.James’s for regulation in 2020. That came back with scratches on the caseback and the back of the lugs.

Then sent another 16710 through the AD in 2021 to get a jubilee bracelet. That too came back with lug marks.

Had a CHNR that was impossible to resize(screw was too tightly bound ?too much loctite). Brought that to the AD. That came back with a small ding on the front.

Most recently sent a 116600 for a service quote, again at the St.James’s RSC. That too came back with lug marks from bracelet removal.

I’m not saying it’s a sure thing, but it’s been 4/4 for me across 2 RSCs and 2 different ADs.

Last edited by kinyik; 1st September 2022 at 15:49.

Master
    I had the same issue on the same watch. Pics have disappeared fit to length of time but thought I’d share anyway.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...new-BLNR/page3

You’ll get it back, fully serviced as good as new if my experience is anything to go by.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolawinston View Post
    I had the same issue on the same watch. Pics have disappeared fit to length of time but thought I’d share anyway.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...new-BLNR/page3

You’ll get it back, fully serviced as good as new if my experience is anything to go by.
    Ah thanks! Glad it worked out for you.

Bummer that mine is only a week old. Wish I didn’t have perfect eyesight. I’ll see what the AD says. It’s an Irish AD so I’m not sure if they still have their certified Rolex service centre or if they now have to send it back to the UK.

Grand Master
    If you do send it back, do yourself a favour and leave it a few weeks to be 100% sure the timekeeping has settled down. If it's not to your satisfaction, or leaves scope for improvement, have the watch regulated at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by kinyik View Post

I collected the BLNR from my AD a week ago. We have a fairly good relationship and they’ve taken care of me over the years.

Didn’t think much on day of collection and proceeded to wear the watch like any other. 2 days after collection, I noticed a dust particle on the underside of the crystal.

I’m torn between sending it in to get it removed or just wearing it as is. The watch is keeping amazing time +-1s per day. I’m more annoyed with lug scratches and dings than I would be with dust on the crystal. I know for a fact that if I sent it in through the AD or to RSC myself that it’s going to come back with lug marks or caseback scratches.

Or, I could leave it for a few months before sending it in. (That way it would be well marked from use and I wouldn’t feel as bad).

Photos as attached.

Leave it alone.

Learn to pick your battles wisely. This is not one of them.

You risk they gouging or putting scratches on the watch and introducing other problems you don’t have today.

You might want to remove or edit the picture showing the serial number.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC102 View Post
    You might want to remove or edit the picture showing the serial number.
    Just did that. Thanks!

I’ve spoken to the AD and they’ve logged it. Ill leave it for a few months and see how I get on. It’s running at <0.5spd!! Which is the most accurate piece I own.

I couldn’t live with that. I had a Longines come back from a service with two similar spots and thought about it for a while, then realised I just couldn’t hack it so they removed it and apologised profusely. Small, silly thing, but then isn’t the detail the important thing here? That’s what you’re meant to be paying for after all.

Craftsman
    Difficult one, I agree with the benefits of leaving as is, but also I believe things should be right. I would most likely send it back now before I got any marks on it.

In my mind, you gave it back ‘as new’ and made that point clear, it should come back in the same condition, sans the dust.

Send it in to get fixed IMO.
    It’s a new watch, if it comes back anything less than new then have them rectify it.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    I'd be wanting that sorted.
    Same here.

Blog Entries
    If it bothers you then get it fixed. I’ve not had any problems with marks due to bracelet removal. Even the lovely lady at the front desk at St James removed the bracelet before a warranty check last time I was there. Very professionally done.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

I couldn't countenance that on any new watch let alone what you must have paid.

Get it back to them.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Sound. I’m going to leave it until I make a trip to London to pick up something from St.James’s. I must’ve just had bad luck the last 3 rounds then with St.James’s.

Curse of the dust

Update: I cracked and brought it into St.James’s and they were kind enough to get that speck of dust out while I waited. Top notch service this time round (marked case back but lugs are as new).

Last edited by kinyik; 9th October 2022 at 00:59.

Craftsman
    Update: I cracked and brought it into RSC London and they were kind enough to get that speck of dust out while I waited. Top notch service as usual.

Good stuff. It’s like those annoying car park dents in your car, once seen never forgotten. The dust spec would have been the same for me.

Grand Master
    Update: I cracked and brought it into RSC London and they were kind enough to get that speck of dust out while I waited. Top notch service as usual.

That’s how it should be done! It really is a quick job for these guys, the offending spec of dust can be removed with a dab of Rodico or blow it off with an air blower, then case the watch up quickly before another gets in!

Shame that more ADs can’t offer the same service but the days of having skilled staff on site who can do these jobs are over.

Master
    Good result. Any lug marks or caseback scratches as you feared? Assume not!

Great result. Not sure it's top notch as usual though, based on your prior experiences!

Well I’ve dropped of a 114060 at St.James’s for regulation in 2020. That came back with scratches on the caseback and the back of the lugs.

Then sent another 16710 through the AD in 2021 to get a jubilee bracelet. That too came back with lug marks.

Had a CHNR that was impossible to resize(screw was too tightly bound ?too much loctite). Brought that to the AD. That came back with a small ding on the front.

Most recently sent a 116600 for a service quote, again at the St.James’s RSC. That too came back with lug marks from bracelet removal.

I’m not saying it’s a sure thing, but it’s been 4/4 for me across 2 RSCs and 2 different ADs.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Good result. Any lug marks or caseback scratches as you feared? Assume not!
    Yeap linear mark across the caseback. Definitely weren’t there before as I had photographed the watch right before it went in.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Great result. Not sure it's top notch as usual though, based on your prior experiences!
    In hindsight you’re right! I was just happy they were willing to do it while I waited. The AD in Ireland who sold me the watch had quoted me a 2 week wait to have it sorted via their in house tech.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    That’s how it should be done! It really is a quick job for these guys, the offending spec of dust can be removed with a dab of Rodico or blow it off with an air blower, then case the watch up quickly before another gets in!

Shame that more ADs can’t offer the same service but the days of having skilled staff on site who can do these jobs are over.
    Agreed. A 2 week wait via the AD (with an in house tech btw) wasn’t ideal for a watch that I had owned for barely a week when I found the speck.

Master
    Yeap linear mark across the caseback. Definitely weren’t there before as I had photographed the watch right before it went in.

Wouldn’t expect that from Rolex
    Having said that I once took a watch in for a mark I thought was under the crystal. They checked it and cleaned / polished the crystal which got rid of it. But I did notice a small lug mark and questioned them immediately. They said it wasn’t them but they would give it a light polish with a cloth and it was then not visible.

Hmmm….

I took a 16610LV in for a service, and watched as the white coated technician popped the bracelet off forwards - leaving 2 very noticeable nicks on the inner edge of the lugs from the springbars. So much for legendary service!

Master

Photos as attached.

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220901/fdd5f0b22f92cd236ff786da365e7a5a.jpg[/

I’m not sure what’s more surprising, the poor service you’ve had from Rolex service centres or the fact that weirs actually managed to get you a watch you wanted !

enjoy it , the case back mark isn’t a big deal and could easily be sorted lug marks not so much

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I took a 16610LV in for a service, and watched as the white coated technician popped the bracelet off forwards - leaving 2 very noticeable nicks on the inner edge of the lugs from the springbars. So much for legendary service!

that would break my heart

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    I’m not sure what’s more surprising, the poor service you’ve had from Rolex service centres or the fact that weirs actually managed to get you a watch you wanted !

enjoy it , the case back mark isn’t a big deal and could easily be sorted lug marks not so much

- - - Updated - - -

It was actually Keanes in Limerick. They’re a great bunch to deal with. Agreed, as long as the lugs were untouched I didn’t really care about the case back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post

Ouch! That’s bad form…

Why couldn’t they have applied a sticker to the back first??

Quote Originally Posted by Linocut View Post
    Why couldn’t they have applied a sticker to the back first??

They actually take case back stickers off if you send it in with them on

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Imagine how I felt when I took it in for a service a few years later, and when it was returned the crown felt like it was grinding half way through every revolution! Back it went for a couple of weeks. On its return. I sold the watch - for considerably less the they are now ‘worth’ - having lost faith in both the watch and the Rolex service department. I’ve never regretted selling it at all, in spite of how ‘hot’ that model has now become. Just a boring 3 hander with a funny coloured bezel imho - and a service department about as reliable as Timpsons!!