closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your persistent irritation in watch collecting?

And people describing a watch as a ‘piece’ - what’s that all about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post

It is just abbreviated from Timepiece.

Short for "timepiece", no? For me, it's those referring to it as "he" or "she" (more the latter) that I find more odd.

P.S. ^ missed the previous reply...

Blog Entries
    The watches I have sold about 20-25 years ago whilst in the grip of mad flipperitis! I am talking about Lange, Rolex, IWC, Blancpain, JLC, Glashutte.

Waiting lists.

Craftsman
    Strap gaps between the case and the top of the strap!

Agreed, do people really say that elsewhere?

On TZ has even spread to clothing - "Lovely Barbour jacket piece".

Master
    I can really relate to this, happens to me every single time as well. The only strap I’ve found to have a proper fit on my wrist is a perlon but I can’t wear that with every watch I own!

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post

For me, my ideal fit is between holes on EVERY. SINGLE. EFFING. STRAP no matter what the lug length on a watch is.

Drives me round the bend.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    I can really relate to this, happens to me every single time as well. The only strap I’ve found to have a proper fit on my wrist is a perlon but I can’t wear that with every watch I own!
    Velcro.... :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magpie215 View Post
    Velcro.... :-)
    I can hear a smash and crack!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Drilled lugs on tool watches should be compulsory……

That some brands think charging c £200 for a NATO is acceptable

Mine is that nobody makes something I deem to be ‘just right’. It’s like there is always something they add in, or miss out, just to make it ‘almost but not quite’. I swear they do it on purpose to keep people hanging on.

Examples are endless, but of late; Tudor Ranger, 39mm is pretty big for that type of watch, 39mm Pelagos should have the date but doesn’t, Omega AT has PCL’s and a butterfly clasp on what is an otherwise superb sports watch, Seamaster has the hideous HEV etc and so on. Some Rolex models are what I’d say were closer to perfect (Sub, 36mm DJ), but are very very difficult to get unless silly money is paid!

Journeyman
    To repeat what others have said, it blows my mind that every oyster style bracelet doesn't have micro-adjust/quick-adjust without tools.

Especially on a "sports" watch or tool watch.

Master
    - As others have said, describing a watch as a 'piece', it's very pretentious.

- The rubbish salespeople tell you when looking in an AD; that they can't give you five mins without bugging you; the whole new thing of offering you a mirror to look at a watch on your wrist (!); chucking a watch down onto its bracelet, so the bracelet marks the back (and how often new watches are actually quite badly shop worn).

- How often something listed as 'mint' on one of the online watch dealers (such as Watchfinder) is FAR from mint when you see it. There is a place near me that has the most hilarious concept of 'as new' it's almost a trading standards offence!

- strap changing marks on the lugs, inside is bad enough. I know it is irrational and it will happen, but it drives me mad (I tend to keep my watches on their original strap / bracelet until it needs to be changed, because of this). Marks on the outside of lugs is a complete no, I see no excuse for that. So...

- More brands need to adopt quick change straps, looking at you Omega!

- The cost of OEM buckles and deployant clasps from big brands. £250 from Omega for a steel deployant. The titanium one for the B55 I have listed (which is mint BTW ) is £500!!

Quote Originally Posted by redsox78 View Post
    - As others have said, describing a watch as a 'piece', it's very pretentious. ...

Doesn't even touch the sides of pretentiousness compared to "WIS" - that puts the stove on under my pisskettle!

Mind, not as bad as hifi-enthusiasts describing themselves as "audiophiles"!

What are you freaks doing with your stereograms - dry-humping them?

Master
    In ADs...(almost every visit)

"Hello Sir, are you looking for something for a special occasion"
    Not really, I just like watches
    "Oh, a bit of a collector are you! I have a Guess/Armani/Boss watch for going out"

"Ooh that looks great on you, it's automatic you know so you don't have to put a battery in it"
    (completely ignoring the automatic watch I just took off to try it on)

"The watch has special glass made of sapphires so you can't scratch it"

"It has a bezel you can use to time things, though I'm not really sure what it's for"

Of course occasionally I am served by the member of staff who likes and knows the product and you can have an informed chat. But it seems rarer these days

Ant

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    ^ Every time I am asked if im buying a present for someone and when I say no I'm asked if I'm "treating myself"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Mind, not as bad as hifi-enthusiasts describing themselves as "audiophiles"!
    LOL yes. I like hifi and audio quality, but audiophile is just nonsense to justify buying a gadget. People buying fancy camera lenses don't describe themselves as opticalophiles!

I have thought of another watch one though, the times I have tried to remove hairlines with cape cod. haha no, never again, it makes no bleedin' difference and just looks worse.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    ^ Every time I am asked if im buying a present for someone and when I say no I'm asked if I'm "treating myself"
    Yes!! Every time. Every flippin' time.

Quote Originally Posted by frp422 View Post

"Oh, a bit of a collector are you! I have a Guess/Armani/Boss watch for going out"

"Ooh that looks great on you, it's automatic you know so you don't have to put a battery in it"

"It has a bezel you can use to time things, though I'm not really sure what it's for"

Of course occasionally I am served by the member of staff who likes and knows the product and you can have an informed chat. But it seems rarer these days

Ant
    This.
    I somehow get caught up in playing a game of ignorance with them as I don’t want to come across as a know-it-all customer. The whole thing mutates from dislike of the customer service experience to a dislike of myself!

Lighting in watch shops - Too bright.

Master

Ant
    There are good people, and I know the ones we mock are under pressure to sell, and especially in some places the customers are as bad. But all I ask is if I say you like watches and I'm just looking, leave me be. And if I ask to have a look at something, while it's a bit odd, let me have a good look and just go "I have to sit here, but I'm happy to let you have a look at it without adding commentary". I know that'll be against head office training, but just...chill. If I don't want to spend 4k, you are not going to persuade me with your patter. But I know it works on some folks so I guess that's the way it is.

Having said all that, and again fully acknowledging there are good people who work in AD's, please never tell me it's an "investment". When someone says that I feel like saying "let me show you something called TZ-UK 'SC'"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    This.
    I somehow get caught up in playing a game of ignorance with them as I don’t want to come across as a know-it-all customer. The whole thing mutates from dislike of the customer service experience to a dislike of myself!
    Haha yes I go really quiet and just let them talk. They must think I am weird! And then it makes me think "why am I doing this, my gf thinks this is mad..." and then I feel put off! Mental.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenko View Post
    Lighting in watch shops - Too bright.
    It's a weird bright though. Spotlights great at shining on the crystal, but not that great at showing the almost guaranteed hairline scratches from bad handling.

In summary, the shop experience is getting like mobile phone buying, or estate agents from half a decade ago. Unlike mobile shops and estate agents that have got a bit better. But yeah, if I want a watch I actually dread going into a dealer. As I said, mental.

Grand Master
    Trying to get decent quality straps to fit 19mm lug sized watches is proving v. irritating thesedays! My criteria are a sensible length, nothing too long, and 16mm buckle. Not too much to ask?......no chance! I`m happy with Hirsch Duke straps on 18mm lug width, the medium length is OK on my wrists, but step up to 19mm and I can`t have medium length! Just annoying!

Cousins used to do a very good copy of Omega straps around £5, the black ones were excellent and the quality was v. close to the Omega offering at 15x the price, but they changed supplier and the later ones were poor, with keepers that are too wide and a nosedive in overall quality.

It's a weird bright though.
    I normally ask if I can look at the watch in natural daylight which never goes down well

There are good people, and I know the ones we mock are under pressure to sell, and especially in some places the customers are as bad. But all I ask is if I say you like watches and I'm just looking, leave me be. And if I ask to have a look at something, while it's a bit odd, let me have a good look and just go "I have to sit here, but I'm happy to let you have a look at it without adding commentary". I know that'll be against head office training, but just...chill. If I don't want to spend 4k, you are not going to persuade me with your patter. But I know it works on some folks so I guess that's the way it is.

Having said all that, and again fully acknowledging there are good people who work in AD's, please never tell me it's an "investment". When someone says that I feel like saying "let me show you something called TZ-UK 'SC'"
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Slab sided Tudors
    Lovely dial and then you see the side of it(realise the BB58s aren’t like that)
    Always thought I’d like a big block and saw a cracker in Bucherer in Geneva
    Hadn’t realised the clue was in the name and it’s sides were way too deep-real pity

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yes this was one of the main reasons I moved on my ETA Black bay.

Master
    Women’s watches being rebranded as ‘Unisex’ just because they’ve stuffed a darker dial with no diamonds into it. Call me old fashioned, but no, it has not magically become unisex, it’s a ladies watch with a dark dial, and the bracelet is still the width of a pencil. Just make a proper range of watches where there’s a decent smaller men’s version for those that don’t fit the larger one, like Omega do with the Aqua Terra.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Mine is that nobody makes something I deem to be ‘just right’. It’s like there is always something they add in, or miss out, just to make it ‘almost but not quite’. I swear they do it on purpose to keep people hanging on.

Examples are endless, but of late; Tudor Ranger, 39mm is pretty big for that type of watch, 39mm Pelagos should have the date but doesn’t, Omega AT has PCL’s and a butterfly clasp on what is an otherwise superb sports watch, Seamaster has the hideous HEV etc and so on. Some Rolex models are what I’d say were closer to perfect (Sub, 36mm DJ), but are very very difficult to get unless silly money is paid!
    Yep. It is part of the madness of this hobby though.

Excessively luxurious packaging - it's just going in the cupboard anyway
    absolutely.

I get it for limited edition specials where the box is part of the story of the watch but not for non LE's or even LE's that are just mass production models with a different dial. The boxes are becoming a bit like Russian doll sets.

my other pet hate which I suspect a lot of people like is 'shiny'. I tried on a Breitling with a bracelet not too long ago and everything was so, so shiny. I could end up being attached by flocks of magpies on the way home.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    That normal sized straps are on the second last hole for me which means the end keeps popping out of the keeper.

Extra long straps or Natos are all I can use.
    Seconded. And I ain’t a FB before anyone suggests I am 🤪🤪🤪

Master
    Blog Entries
    Adding a second strap/ bracelet in the package without the tools to easily change the strap.

Many that have been mentioned so far: half link bracelets with no micro or slide adjustment. Well done, Omega, you’ve made a Planet Ocean that either turns my fingers blue or flops about on my wrist and hurts my wristbone. Well bloody done. Honestly, just put micro adjustment holes in the clasp. You used to. It worked.

Also I can’t un-see “nibbled” numbers, where numerals are cut away for chronograph sun dials. Makes my eyes itch. Similarly, Roman numerals. Don’t know why, but I always struggle with them. On a carriage clock or Big Ben? Fine. On a watch? GTF.

My pet hate, though, is a cyclops date. Just… Ugh. I can mostly see past my other peeves if I really like the rest of the package, but a cyclops stops the wants straight away.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Blancpain hex screw bracelet links.
    Just why.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Adding a second strap/ bracelet in the package without the tools to easily change the strap.
    Oooh yes (slow hand clap for Tudor!) at the same time, I really liked the instructions Omega provided with the Moonwatch when it came with a strap changing tool, showing what happens when most people try to change a strap...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    A good shout, there is the odd one out there, the Habring Felix being another example. What I'm really after though is something that feels like a Calatrava or Patrimony, but without remortgaging. Problem solved for the moment with a 38mm vintage Seiko Skyliner. The quest for an affordable dress watch that doesn't scream 'affordable' is one of watch collecting's harder challenges though!
    How about the 37mm Zenith Elite, also has a v thin movement/case.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Merch131 View Post
    How about the 37mm Zenith Elite, also has a v thin movement/case.
    A good thought and worth some digging. Of course these days, they only make them in 36mm and 40mm, and the 36mm is a ladies watch, a perfect illustration of my other irritation:

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    And then that watch sizing always seems to jump from 36mm to 40mm, when 38mm is my magic number.

Truly massive boxes, the longines box for the legend diver is great example of pointlessly huge

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Well I have the same issue as the OP’s first post. Never get a good fit with straps so usually avoid these days.

However, my main irritation has to be the fact that every time I buy a new watch, another one I’ve been after for a while comes up for sale only days later.
    It’s not like there are even loads on my wish list.

It happened on SC recently with two X-33’s for sale only days after spending £8k.
    Last edited by MartC; 6th September 2022 at 06:46.

Grand Master
    Selling a watch only to buy the same one again,and not only once!!.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Selling a watch only to buy the same one again,and not only once!!.
    Oh yes:

Seiko MM300 - one of the usual TZ re-purchase suspects and think I must have owned the original, or a modern variation, at least 6 times...
    Longines Legend Diver - had a no-date, then a date, and now on a no-date again
    CWC Diver - on my 3rd. Perfect holiday watch
    Omega Speedmaster Professional - on my 3rd (should have kept the lovely tritium one though...)
    Rolex Submariner - still have my 5513 after buying and selling a 168000, 14060, 116610LN and 116610LV
    G-shock atomic-solar 5610 - on my 3rd, my 7 year old son wears one too :-)

Ant

Buy but don’t wear.

The complete inability to reach a state of contentment.

One collector of Rolex and Patek that I follow on Instagram referred to a watch as a "reference" the other day.

What a plonker. I did poke fun at him for this which he laughed at.

Every time I meet someone who I could talk watches with, I'm wearing either my Apple Watch (because I've been exercising) or some sort of plastic G-Shock or something because I couldn't be bothered to wind and set up anything more interesting.

Trying to convince my parents' neighbour - who's wearing a Hublot - that I have a small collection of vintage Omega, among others, and that I'm worth talking to...when I have a massive white plastic Bluetooth G-Shock on.

Or I'll be out shopping and suddenly spot a grail in the window of the local independent. I press the buzzer to be let in the door, flashing my quartz Seiko that I grabbed as it went nicely with jeans and I didn't think I'd be watch shopping today...

Journeyman
    Snootiness

1…Date at 4 o clock on watches I like ..Hate it.
    2…Back play on Divers bezel ratchet.
    3…The term ‘Full Set’…..

Others I put down to my Psychosis.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    That normal sized straps are on the second last hole for me which means the end keeps popping out of the keeper.

Extra long straps or Natos are all I can use.
    This!! But I’m on the last hole. always buy aftermarket xl ones but getting decent ones in 19mm is always a pita as a vintage omega fan. Always hated the look of a squashed in 20 mm before anyone suggests it!!
    Last edited by ktmog6uk; 6th September 2022 at 23:54.