timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cruise with Covid?

Master

Cruise with Covid?

Would you book a cruise yet?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ks-Sydney.html

Dream holiday or a floating petri dish?

My kids and grandchild are currently on one!

Master
    Blog Entries
    A friend of mine was recently bumped from his carefully selected cabin pre-cruise because that entire floor/side was being reserved for covid positive travellers (presumably for people who developed covid once on the cruise). So it looks like the companies are taking precautions - FWIW I wouldn't go on a cruise at the moment because the Petri dish scenario is very unappealing.

However two other friends have recently completed continental river cruises but made no mention of any covid issues - lack of river depth was their concern.

Sent from my moto g31(w) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JonRA; 31st August 2022 at 10:39.

Master
    Some friends got back on Monday from their fourth cruise of the year, all booked last minute at massive discounts as the numbers going seem low, they haven’t had any issues at all with covid.

Floating Petri dish. No thanks.

Master
    Neighbour just returned from one - she was very cautious ahead of going i.e. isolating and it sounds like the cruise company are very strict.

I wonder if it's really any worse than going to an airport/getting on a plane or travelling on a train/tube. In many respects the cruise ship is probably a more controlled environment. I've never been on a cruise ship but it sounds like there is a lot of space.

Sent from my hatch using Tapatalk

Was on a cruise earlier on in the year, the MSC Virtuosa, lovely Cruise with no issues with COVID.
    Did your test before boarding, very straight forward affair.
    You've got as much chance of still catching it from shopping or if you have kids in school in my opinion, there’s always going to be some risk.
    We looked at booking another one for October but have decided on Greece instead.

Went on the Disney cruise last summer. No issues at all.

We were in Florida in February and met quite a few people who’d just finished their cruses and no one reported and COVID problems and most said they’d been impressed and reassured by the precautions made by their cruise companies.
    The wife is planning one for us next year.

Went to the Caribbean earlier this year on P&O. Very well organised from pre-trip, onboard and departure. Measures they had put in place were very good - very enjoyable.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Subject to a negative pre- departure Covid test, we are going on a 12 day jaunt to the Canaries and Madeira in 10 days time. Looking forward to it immensely. No worries about it at all

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    We are doing 29 nights Sydney to Hawaii in April, then a 12 night cruise sandwiched between 6 nights Maldives and 7 nights Bali. I have said let’s just get on with it and roll with the flow, life’s to short.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Floating Petri dish. No thanks.

You obviously never been on a Cruise Ship then, well not a decent one

Master
    Just got back from two weeks on Anthem of the Seas. Had a fantastic time and no issues. Had to do a supervised test the day before. Lots of cleaning on the ship and very strict on hand washing before entering the dining rooms. All staff wore masks. We went to Gibraltor, Malaga, Valencia, Barcelona, Palma, Ibiza and Lisbon and nearly every place had strict mask wearing signs for the terminals, buses, taxis and trains etc but hardly any place enforced it.

A couple of friends of mine have just returned from a Med cruise and said the Covid precautions were excellent.

They thoroughly enjoyed it.

Never been on one but do fancy it.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Do the vessels operating now - utilise once-through ventilation rather than the high-percentage recirc that was the norm pre-covid? I think many do.

My sister and more elderly neighbour are off on one next week - not too concerned about it.

(My sister who takes own smoke hood on cruises - what I would do also)

Master
    They are moored at present. Looks lovely:-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW3J6pwYDk8

Live so may have gone if you don't see today (31/08/22)

Cruise with Covid?

Came back from a 10 day Canary cruise on Friday and all ok here currently
    No whispers on the boat also
    Wouldn’t stop me tbh

Princess cruises scrapped observed testing a week before ours and there was very little mask wearing on the ship. You only had to attest to a negative LFT on the day.

Craftsman
    Did a round the uk cruise last August and have booked a western med cruise for Oct. Pardon the pun, but get on board!

No concerns at all.

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    You obviously never been on a Cruise Ship then, well not a decent one
    Personally I can’t think of anything worse, crammed onto a floating hotel with tons of people in close proximity. Nothing to do with Covid or vomiting bugs, just doesn’t appeal at all and tbh never has. I’m genuinely surprised the sector has recovered. I’ve enjoyed plenty of sailing holidays over the years so no aversion to the water. I guess I look for tranquility and freedom and can’t imagine you get much of either on a cruise ship?

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Personally I can’t think of anything worse, crammed onto a floating hotel with tons of people in close proximity. Nothing to do with Covid or vomiting bugs, just doesn’t appeal at all and tbh never has. I’m genuinely surprised the sector has recovered. I’ve enjoyed plenty of sailing holidays over the years so no aversion to the water. I guess I look for tranquility and freedom and can’t imagine you get much of either on a cruise ship?
    Thought the same thing until doing one, its an incredibly relaxing way to see the world. The 3.5 days down to Las Palmas was probably the most relaxed id ever been despite the numbers on board. You soon learn where the busy/quiet areas are and we used that along with certain times to our advantage. Everyone wants the sun-deck nice day, drop down a deck to the long balacany hardly any bugger there…perfect

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Wrong on every point TBH. It's like any holiday experience - what some people enjoy, others do not.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Grand Master
    I`ve done a couple of cruises and enjoyed both, don't knock it till you've tried it!

Craftsman
    I know some people who have been on a two week cruise recently and it was fine re Covid as all passengers had to show a negative test result prior to boarding.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have no idea but ‘cruise with Covid’sound like a great cat crash TV program..

Journeyman
    Sheer hell, with or without covid.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Z1R View Post

Ever been on one.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Z1R View Post

Experience or perception? I've yest to meet anyone who's been on a cruise who didn't like it.

If I was in the position to spend thousands of pounds on a holiday I may or may not enjoy, I’d probably give it a go - however, I’m not in that position and nor am I ever likely to be! - I also put holidays pretty low on my financial agenda tbh (partly but not entirely due to family circumstances). The thought of taking my 19 year old lad with Down’s and autism on a cruise fills me with dread - he’d probably/almost definitely jump off for a swim (and I’m not even joking)! - he also likes to kiss and hug anyone and everyone, so if he had Covid, every passenger is getting it!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Experience or perception? I've yest to meet anyone who's been on a cruise who didn't like it.
    Experience and never again....

Blog Entries
    We preferred river cruises in Europe. Plenty to see and some really nice places to visit. Also a lot less people on board. Still wouldn't go back on one yet though.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Ever been on one.
    Yes, Greek islands and it was awful.

Master
    Blog Entries
    We only go Celebrity and it’s not over crowded First class cabins food etc always somewhere to go for peace and quite, plus no kids. It’s absolute bliss.

Master
    I’m going to pitch that title as a new Channel 5 reality TV show.

Journeyman
    Risky

What’s risky?

Master
    My idea of hell. Trapped with a bunch of cruiser losers and happy clappy entertainment. Shore stops to bum around within half mile of the port and claim to have ‘done’ the country.
    You may disagree though….