closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 39mm Pelagos no-date!

These seem to be available as a walk in in Chiang Mai so I'll see and if so get one.

I’m tempted. Would mean shopping in the Harrods BB most likely as can’t see room for both. Tried to get a look yesterday at a few ADs but no display pieces were available. For me the titanium is a big part of the attraction, something light and comfy.

39mm Pelagos no-date!

Rubbish pictures but I am enjoying it very much great size, comfortable and the new clasp is excellent.

Safe to say I was already a fan though ?

39mm Pelagos no-date!

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    I can confirm this is 100% correct in the legal world. One of my best friends (who I helped get into watches) is a senior partner in a London law firm and they (as per his prior company too) have guidelines for this exact thing.
    Big difference between guidelines and signed contracts. Cant imagine for one second it’s enforceable.
    Last edited by RustyBin5; 2nd September 2022 at 07:50.

Now I’ve seen the shiny bezel and dial in a few pictures I can’t get on with it. Almost perfect, but not quite.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AmosMoses View Post
    Now I’ve seen the shiny bezel and dial in a few pictures I can’t get on with it. Almost perfect, but not quite.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Defiantly two camps with regards to the bezel and dial. Having owned and blue Pelagos and having a small collection of 4-6 watches it was too one dimensional for my taste. This watch fixes all the issues I had with the original. It is a better size for me, better clasp and more versatile.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Big difference between guidelines and signed contracts. Cant imagine for one second it’s enforceable.

If you really want to know I’ll ask him?

If it’s in the contract, it’s enforceable. If it’s a guideline, they’ll be expected to follow it to the letter.

Pretty obvious why it's not a good idea to be rocking stupidly expensive wrist bling when with clients as they'll think you are charging too much!

Something like a Sub I'm sure is fine but maybe lay off the AP ROOs or Hublots when with the paying customer!

Same applies to people taking expensive sports cars to client sites. In a previous job we were at an NHS Trust in a deprived area of Northern England with a focus to help them use their recruitment budgets most effectively. The idea being to maximise ROI on taxpayer spend.

I was waiting in the reception when to my horror I could hear a ferocious roar in the distance get ever closer and then my sales rep turns up in a brand new Audi R8, parks it right at the front and, shades on, strolls into reception.

Maybe not the image we wanted to portray at that time.....

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    These seem to be available as a walk in in Chiang Mai so I'll see and if so get one.
    Nope not available as a walk in at all here - furthermore the AD has it listed as a ladies watch in their database!

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    This is quite a leap but there's a story about Steve Jobs in the early years called "hide the Porsches". Worth a Google.

A friend of mine used to take the photos for puff-pieces of CEOs for corporate magazines - he said it was entirely normal for their PR to hand them a cheapish watch to wear for the photos and then they'd slip their mega-money watch back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    A friend of mine used to take the photos for puff-pieces of CEOs for corporate magazines - he said it was entirely normal for their PR to hand them a cheapish watch to wear for the photos and then they'd slip their mega-money watch back on.
    I'm yet to work out what our MD wears. No watch in videos or to client events but have seen him with something nice in the office twice. Looks like it could be a good IWC on rubber but haven't got a good enough look at it yet.

Craftsman
    I've seen a few photos where the lume on the hands looks to be a slightly different colour to the hour plots, anybody else see that? Hands look slightly creamier.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRockNRoll View Post
    I've seen a few photos where the lume on the hands looks to be a slightly different colour to the hour plots, anybody else see that? Hands look slightly creamier.
    I think there is a slight difference. The hands are lume filled but the plots are the new style lume blocks which first appeared on the BB Pro.

Master
    Just got hands on. I really like it and it’s nothing like the original Pelagos. It’s almost like the FXD in a category of its own.

Not so much a tool watch and more a lifestyle watch like the sub and 58. More refined T-fit clasp, more simplistic dial design loosing the chapter ring cut aways for the hour markers, more glossy dial and bezel, now HEV. I love it and deposit is down. For people with smaller collections it’s a more usable versatile dive watch than the Pelagos.

Craftsman
    Almost got a LHD a few years back and might consider a blue version of this 39mm.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    You have to wear a Tudor to work because the only other watch that can be worn to work is a Rolex?

I have heard it all now.

Well, I thought I had heard it all until i am told Rolex is a sign of unbelievable excess, tremendous wealth and wild success.

Is that what people tell you?
    I think you may have missed my point, and seem a bit angry about it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    I think you may have missed my point, and seem a bit angry about it too.

Apologies if it came across that way.

Master
    Took a trip to my usual AD to take a look but they didn't have any in (first person I spoke to was very unhelpful). Another member of staff explained they were expecting a display model for people to try on in the next few days and saleable watches in October.
    Luckily there was a Fraser Hart close by and they did have one to try. I really liked it and i think it could well be a future purchase. Being small and titanium in was very very light.

Master
    41/42mm as is, would have one, @39mm too light, too small.
    Love the bezel/face, perfect IMHO.
    Will try to see one in the titane, (metal) & if I could wear a watch at this size.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    41/42mm as is, would have one, @39mm too light, too small.
    Love the bezel/face, perfect IMHO.
    Will try to see one in the titane, (metal) & if I could wear a watch at this size.
    It seemed to wear more like a 40mm to me. Certainly bigger than a BB58

I ordered one today after trying one on, lovely thing, I think the sunburst dial/bezel is nothing special but the 39mm size is perfect for me. I couldn't really comment on the bracelt and clasp as it was very loose and technically someone else's watch so I couldn't really play round with it too much.

Master
    Tried the local boutiques "exhibition" piece on the other day. Nice enough watch, but for my tastes, too small, and too light. While I appreciate that its titanium, it felt lighter than my FXD does on its fabric strap. Can't say that I'm a fan of the dial and bezel insert either.

I'm sure it'll sell well, but I'm far happier that I scored an FXD.

Last edited by Skip; 2nd September 2022 at 18:25.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    Tried the local boutiques "exhibition" piece on the other day. Nice enough watch, but for my tastes, too small, and too light. While I appreciate that its titanium, it felt lighter than my FXD does on its fabric strap. Can't say that I'm a fan of the dial and bezel insert either.

I'm sure it'll sell well, but I'm far happier that I scored an FXD.

Maybe the exhibition piece didn't have a movement in it Skip??

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Maybe the exhibition piece didn't have a movement in it Skip??
    Fairly sure it was a running watch - the second hand in my pictures has advance just under 40 seconds, which would be about right.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    It seemed to wear more like a 40mm to me. Certainly bigger than a BB58
    From a couple of reviews I've seen the case is 39mm but the bezel overhangs and is just shy of 40mm

Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    From a couple of reviews I've seen the case is 39mm but the bezel overhangs and is just shy of 40mm
    Sounds about right. It's almost like the dial is a fraction larger than the case or the case is a fraction undersized for the dial depending on how you see it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Sounds about right. It's almost like the dial is a fraction larger than the case or the case is a fraction undersized for the dial depending on how you see it.
    I think many watches with rotating bezels do this for ease of actuation of the bezel.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Apologies if it came across that way.
    No worries, it is only the Internet after all!

39mm Pelagos no-date!

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    I can confirm this is 100% correct in the legal world. One of my best friends (who I helped get into watches) is a senior partner in a London law firm and they (as per his prior company too) have guidelines for this exact thing.
    Is that retail (RR) price?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    I think many watches with rotating bezels do this for ease of actuation of the bezel.
    It was good to see that they have carried over the more defined bezel teeth from the FXD on this release as well. No place for a coin edged bezel on a diver!

Picked one up yesterday…very nice

Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post

Looks great in your photos without the sheen.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Is that retail (RR) price?

Sorry, I don’t understand your question? 🤷🏼*♂️

Master
    Really like these. Tried one today but wasn’t for sale… the AD took my details but think I’ll be in for quite a wait… hopefully one will appear on SC before then!!

Master
    I'd have hoped that grade 5 titanium would be used, not grade 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Looks great in your photos without the sheen.
    Straight out of the camera in natural light…and I would say that the pics are a pretty accurate depiction of how the watch appears in person. I’m not sure why folks are getting into a lather about it all!

Can titanium be refurbished ie polished? Curious. Never had a titanium piece before but did try on the NTTD seamaster and the weight is unreal.

Straight out of the camera in natural light…and I would say that the pics are a pretty accurate depiction of how the watch appears in person. I’m not sure why folks are getting into a lather about it all!
    Really good to know. Cheers.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kinyik View Post
    Can titanium be refurbished ie polished? Curious. Never had a titanium piece before but did try on the NTTD seamaster and the weight is unreal.

I think it depends on the grade used, but not sure about this. I`ve refinished a few older titanium watches that were brushed/polished finish and that was v. easy, but the 'polished' bits didn`t polish up like 316 Stainless does! Maybe there are different grades that can be polished to give a better lustre?

Always worth considering the refinishing options when buying a watch, chances of getting a sensible answer from an AD are limited!

I have just been shopping in the central Milton Keynes shopping centre, where quite unbelievably there are three Tudor dealers. Not a single one of them had any Pelagos on display, not even the existing model range. Are they waiting for a special display to arrive or something to show off the complete range? I don't know if they usually stock them as I don't shop there often.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I think it depends on the grade used, but not sure about this. I`ve refinished a few older titanium watches that were brushed/polished finish and that was v. easy, but the 'polished' bits didn`t polish up like 316 Stainless does! Maybe there are different grades that can be polished to give a better lustre?

Always worth considering the refinishing options when buying a watch, chances of getting a sensible answer from an AD are limited!
    Agreed. I doubt any of those PVD coated/ black ceramic stuff would hold up a polish/refinish 10 years down the line as good ole stainless steel. Would still in interested to have a look at this Pelagos in person though

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    Perhaps I'll think different after seeing it in the flesh but after seeing phots and videos I've gone from 100% sold to thinking that if I wanted a small, stark, tough tool dive watch the Sinn U50 would be difficult to overlook and save a chunk of cash.

YMMV of course
    My thoughts too

The U50 has way more WIS credibility, greater water resistance and unique look too
    Last edited by Kidsteruk; 3rd September 2022 at 15:19.

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    I'd have hoped that grade 5 titanium would be used, not grade 2.
    Forgive the lack of knowledge in this question but does that differ from a standard Pelagos?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Forgive the lack of knowledge in this question but does that differ from a standard Pelagos?
    Yep, it’s all grade 2

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kinyik View Post
    Agreed. I doubt any of those PVD coated/ black ceramic stuff would hold up a polish/refinish 10 years down the line as good ole stainless steel. Would still in interested to have a look at this Pelagos in person though

The problem with refinishing Tudor is not grade 2 vs grade 5. Titanium is easy to refinish (when satin / brushed). Grade 5 more scratch resistant.

The problem is that Tudor use an impressive circular brushing on the case for the main top side and bottom, and that’s hard to do, unless you know a really good refinisher. The bracelet is fine. Other brands that use Ti - Omega and Breitling being obvious - tend to use horizontal and vertical parallel brushing (though Omega uses circular on the underneath of the case).

I had a Pelagos that got scratched - ETA version - could have been refinished, but Rolex wouldn’t do it, just offered a case replacement. No-one has had a solid answer as to why, beyond guesses that outside of HQ service centres don’t have the equipment to do it?
    Last edited by redsox78; 3rd September 2022 at 15:27.

Master
    Blog Entries

39mm Pelagos no-date!

Tried it on today, it’s cracking. Really impressed with the bracelet.

Craftsman

That’s the best it’s looked yet….

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redsox78 View Post
    The problem with refinishing Tudor is not grade 2 vs grade 5. Titanium is easy to refinish (when satin / brushed). Grade 5 more scratch resistant.

The problem is that Tudor use an impressive circular brushing on the case for the main top side and bottom, and that’s hard to do, unless you know a really good refinisher. The bracelet is fine. Other brands that use Ti - Omega and Breitling being obvious - tend to use horizontal and vertical parallel brushing (though Omega uses circular on the underneath of the case).

I had a Pelagos that got scratched - ETA version - could have been refinished, but Rolex wouldn’t do it, just offered a case replacement. No-one has had a solid answer as to why, beyond guesses that outside of HQ service centres don’t have the equipment to do it?
    Just the be clear, the finishing IS fantastic and very detailed (different direction of brushing on the case bevelled edge is cool). The FXD has amazing brushing on the fixed lugs. It’s just always worried me that no-one has shown Tudor will refinish them. If you have a collection of watches it’s no problem.

The only other thing that bugged me was the steel caseback, due to how the caseback is machined, that partly undermines that Ti doesn’t get as sweaty on the wrist (doesn’t conduct heat like steel). Fine with a NATO obvs.

Craftsman
    In fairness in some photos it looks quite austere and more like an instrument, in others it looks very shiny and more like a trinket.

I suspect more enthusiasts like the former, where I think the masses are likely not to care. I think once a good deal of the forum communities have seen it, the hullabaloo will die down.

Craftsman
    It really does look lovely and a great size. The No dates helps give symmetry too.