closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 39mm Pelagos no-date!

Craftsman
    Put my name down, 3rd on list. Was told it could be up to 18 months wait, but was told same about GMT and got it in about 4 months. We shall see!

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    There was a titanium alternative but the salesman said titanium scratches easier than steel so I went with the steel option.
    You needed the salesman to tell you that!

German video but you can turn on captions with auto translate and there are some great hands on shots.

Looks excellent.
    Last edited by Harryb; 31st August 2022 at 14:47.

Master
    Didn’t see this until DB’s instagram post. Absolutely love it. To think that you could have the FXD and this for the price of a no date sub….makes me want to tell my local AD to go you know where with the expression of interest list I am supposed to be on!

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    You needed the salesman to tell you that!
    Genuinely yes, at the time. I remember being in a library in Juno (the only place to have wifi) googling Citizen watches. I had no clue and I don't imagine the average person could confidently know the relative properties of titanium vs. steel? (It's entirely possible I'm just not as clever as the average person to begin with though)

Master
    Wow. Is this going to be the new forum Speedmaster? In that everyone is going to own one at some point?this is near perfect. Going to be difficult to resist until they release one in blue, inevitably.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Yunsung View Post
    Wow. Is this going to be the new forum Speedmaster? In that everyone is going to own one at some point?this is near perfect. Going to be difficult to resist until they release one in blue, inevitably.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Maybe for another thread, but blue dials/bezels/watches really have become a thing recently haven't they and wonder if it's a fad or here to stay?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunsung View Post
    TZ-UK mobile app
    I have the original Pelagos and there isn't a great deal I'd change at all. I've considered getting a blue dialed one before but couldn't justify pretty much the same watch in a different colour.
    The FXD doesn't quite do it for me with the fixed lugs and 60 min bezel markers.
    Now this 39mm no date but in blue.... sign me up

It's not for me as I prefer the bigger case. I'd definitely own a Pelagos.

A bushed bezel insert and sunburst dial. This rings a bell. I've discussed this with another forum member. I think he might be right as it reminds us both of the design cues of a Seiko SPB143 with it's sunburst dial and brushed bezel insert.

Is this a first for Tudor? Tudor taking the design cues from a Seiko? It's a possibility.
    Last edited by j111dja; 31st August 2022 at 18:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    I love all this talk of manly tool watches when Tudor's marketing seems to suggest that the core audience is women shopping or hanging around the pool.
    I agree, very odd positioning and a laughable video!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

In English (American) and he measures it closer to 40mm than 39mm
    Last edited by reecie; 31st August 2022 at 19:33.

The brushed bezel didn't look great in the renders but I think it looks quite nice there.

I think that the most beautiful TUDOR is the Pelagos. In particular the blue. This size will be the perfect size for many that were waiting for this day.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Nice watch....I don't need one (for sure)but it is very appealing. Well done Tudor.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Only seeing this now. Looks spectacular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picked mine up this afternoon.

Will get some pics up in the morning as out tonight.

Took me about 2 seconds from it coming out of the coffin to know I was having it. If you are serious about one of these you are going to know that Tudor nailed it once you have it in hand.

Sunburst dial is a non event, so subtle as to be almost invisible and looks slightly tropical in good way. Radial bezel appears as a semi sheen finish, halfway between stealth and full fat Rolex bling.

Wears as a 40mm, viewed it alongside a BB58 and it's a touch bigger visually, I am guessing 39mm case and 40mm bezel.

Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    Picked mine up this afternoon.

Will get some pics up in the morning as out tonight.

Took me about 2 seconds from it coming out of the coffin to know I was having it. If you are serious about one of these you are going to know that Tudor nailed it once you have it in hand.

Sunburst dial is a non event, so subtle as to be almost invisible and looks slightly tropical in good way. Radial bezel appears as a semi sheen finish, halfway between stealth and full fat Rolex bling.

Wears as a 40mm, viewed it alongside a BB58 and it's a touch bigger visually, I am guessing 39mm case and 40mm bezel.
    Congrats. Please shower us with pics ASAP!!

Lug width is 21mm!!!

Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post

A bushed bezel insert and sunburst dial. This rings a bell. I've discussed this with another forum member. I think he might be right as it reminds us both of the design cues of a Seiko SPB143 with it's sunburst dial and brushed bezel insert.

Is this a first for Tudor? Tudor taking the design cues from a Seiko? It's a possibility.
    I think its more than a possibility!

Not that I need yet another Seiko, but they did a great job with the SPB143

Dave

Sent from my Google Pixelbook Go using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries

39mm Pelagos no-date!

Lug width is 21mm!!!
    Arghhh that’s disappointing as this would be great on a rubber nato.

Congrats on the pick up, I have been offer a look see but can’t get down there today.

"Highly scratch resistant."

Dunno about that. Just saw someone post a photo of 3 months daily wear of the 42mm Pelagos and it looked more like 20 years.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryb View Post
    "Highly scratch resistant."

Dunno about that. Just saw someone post a photo of 3 months daily wear of the 42mm Pelagos and it looked more like 20 years.
    It IS easily scratched (it’s only grade 2 ti) potentially easily refinished, but Tudor won’t, afaik

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redsox78 View Post
    It IS easily scratched (it’s only grade 2 ti) potentially easily refinished, but Tudor won’t, afaik
    Pretty much that. It’s like it forms a surface of something or other that marks easily but not really proper scratch. Still, can look tatty quickly.

I have a bunch of Ti watches, some, like the EZM1 about 20 years old. It doesn't scratch "easily", that is baloney.
    It is not as bombproof as a hardened case (steel or Ti, Duratect is amazing), but to read some comments here, you'd think it would be crazed with marks within a week. It won't.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I have a bunch of Ti watches, some, like the EZM1 about 20 years old. It doesn't scratch "easily", that is baloney.
    It is not as bombproof as a hardened case (steel or Ti, Duratect is amazing), but to read some comments here, you'd think it would be crazed with marks within a week. It won't.

echo that ^

My FXD has been worn alot this year and assuming it is the same Grade 2 Titanium as the new Pelagos 39mm I don't see an issue at all.

Where would it fall on this chart?

Not to moan but, as usual, nothing's perfect...

I'd probably rather they kept the date window... a modern convenience that separates it more from the retro 58s (and the FXD) -- but wouldn't be a deal breaker.

No, instead it's the strange half-metallic brushed ceramic bezel and sunburst dial

Looks nothing short of weird, and a deviation from the seriousness of the Pelagos. Similarly the red line of text which should have stayed on the LHD to differentiate it, and just feels like it distracts from the watch.

Why is there often this 'twist' from Tudor, like the a-historic red tip seconds hand on the Ranger? I suppose it's to separate them from Rolex, but it's really unnecessary as the Rolex name means so much to the mass market that they're not going to sell their Sub because of a Pelagos' dial texture...

Not the only company out there where the designers just can't help themselves from adding excess 'garnish' to good base designs, but they are guilty more than occasionally IMO. I suppose it's so frustrating because they are often close to excellence, as this smaller Pelagos does tick a lot of boxes.
    Last edited by Dark Side of The Loon; 1st September 2022 at 10:24.

39mm Pelagos no-date!

picking one up tonight, let's see what it's all about

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Congrats. Please shower us with pics ASAP!!
    Just had a chance to capture some images of the Pelagos 39 I picked up yesterday. I don't want to go too heavy on the uploads so if anyone want a particular image or comparison I will do my best

As we can see from the various forums and social media feedback they are never going to please everyone but I am pretty happy with this as a sporty lightweight daily watch.

Craftsman
    Just had a chance to capture some images of the Pelagos 39 I picked up yesterday. I don't want to go too heavy on the uploads so if anyone want a particular image or comparison I will do my best

As we can see from the various forums and social media feedback they are never going to please everyone but I am pretty happy with this as a sporty lightweight daily watch.
    Thanks for the pictures. Do you think it wears markedly smaller than the Submariner?

Quote Originally Posted by PSTW View Post
    Thanks for the pictures. Do you think it wears markedly smaller than the Submariner?
    No it wears the same. Sub has more depth in the caseback.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    echo that ^

My FXD has been worn alot this year and assuming it is the same Grade 2 Titanium as the new Pelagos 39mm I don't see an issue at all.
    The issue is that Tudor won't refinish them. It;s no easier to scratch than steel in my experience, but no harder. And what always puts me off the Pelagos is that Tudor won't refinish it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Where would it fall on this chart?

First dot on the left, it is un-treated grade 2 ti.

Master
    Looks nice in the pics, but I prefer the FXD...just. If the FXD had those lume plots, it'd be FXD for me easily; it's not just shrunk, it has a purpose, and the bi-directional bezel is brilliant. Still the value is there; the extra is worth it for the bracelet.

I still think FXD is more different. Hardly would complain with either though!

Looks nice in the pics, but I prefer the FXD...just. If the FXD had those lume plots, it'd be FXD for me easily; it's not just shrunk, it has a purpose, and the bi-directional bezel is brilliant. Still the value is there; the extra is worth it for the bracelet.

I have both and will be keeping both...for now.

Quick comparison

Master

The FXD is more different, the number of watches with the same strap-attachment solution is very limited. And there's some tangible input from an expert source (Marine National) that led to at least some of the tweaks. In years to come, when the FXD has been and gone from sale, it'll stand out as an anomaly for sure.

The bit I can't quite get my head round the more I see pictures of the 39, is how they have tried to glamourise and glitz-up a watch with such tool-watch (ie original Pelagos) origins - wouldn't it have made more sense to start with the 58 and incorporate the BB Pro dial indices and black/white dial combo? This is evident in the marketing. It's almost like they are accepting that Rolex is much more blingy than pre-ceramic (in appearance and on social media) and stealing a bit of that by being overtly shiny with the bezel design and marketing campaign. It's a confusing mix of titanium and professional appearance with female oriented promotional pictures.

So while I'm keen to see the 39, it may end up in reality that the form over function ethos of the FXD wins over the 39 for me

Ant

Its almost perfect. I just wish they left the dial and bezel in the matte finish. I am yet to see it in the metal but this looks like it could be a pretty significant deviation from the "they almost had it" formula with the Pelagos.

Quote Originally Posted by frp422 View Post
    The FXD is more different, the number of watches with the same strap-attachment solution is very limited. And there's some tangible input from an expert source (Marine National) that led to at least some of the tweaks. In years to come, when the FXD has been and gone from sale, it'll stand out as an anomaly for sure.

The bit I can't quite get my head round the more I see pictures of the 39, is how they have tried to glamourise and glitz-up a watch with such tool-watch (ie original Pelagos) origins - wouldn't it have made more sense to start with the 58 and incorporate the BB Pro dial indices and black/white dial combo? This is evident in the marketing. It's almost like they are accepting that Rolex is much more blingy than pre-ceramic (in appearance and on social media) and stealing a bit of that by being overtly shiny with the bezel design and marketing campaign. It's a confusing mix of titanium and professional appearance with female oriented promotional pictures.

So while I'm keen to see the 39, it may end up in reality that the form over function ethos of the FXD wins over the 39 for me

Ant
    I shared these sentiments prior to the AD visit.

Once in hand though, for me, there is still a distinct tool watch vibe. The watch presents as very clean and unfussy in hand despite the (dubious) additions.

Master
    I shared these sentiments prior to the AD visit.

Once in hand though, for me, there is still a distinct tool watch vibe. The watch presents as very clean and unfussy in hand despite the (dubious) additions.
    Can deffo see that, I suppose with the FXD it's the balls to make it fixed lugs, it IS different. Then again I never get on with bracelets, so I'm not really fair to judge. I do think a Pelagos without the date just looks correct though, and I do like the black. And I think the brushed bezel is nice.

Master

Quick comparison

It's the FXD bezel for me, good on you for having both!

Master
    Nice pics thanks. Maybe just the pics, but does the dial look very slightly bare with the removal of some text? Would it have been better sticking to the traditional diamond shape of text?

Nit picking...if I get the call I will buy it.

On reflection (pun intended), they really killed it with the shiny bezel. There was no need for that. No need at all.

The red text is a bit unnecessary too.

I much prefer smaller watches but essentially, the full fat pelagos is the proper tool watch. This is a shrunken down fashion piece.

I’d rather have a black bay 58.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    I much prefer smaller watches but essentially, the full fat pelagos is the proper tool watch. This is a shrunken down fashion piece.
    On the contrary, the 'full fat' Pelagos will fit some people, this one will fit others. It might even fit me. 39mm Explorer II seems to be the limit, this comes in closer to 40mm. No chance I could wear the 42mm.

Looking almost perfect. Wish bezel and dial were matte though. And full white hands.

Anyone know how thick I’m the case is?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Looking almost perfect. Wish bezel and dial were matte though. And full white hands.
    Great spot, both would look amazing with fully white hands. And the more I look the more I agree on the bezel.

Master

39mm Pelagos no-date!

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    On reflection (pun intended), they really killed it with the shiny bezel. There was no need for that. No need at all.

The red text is a bit unnecessary too.

I’d rather have a black bay 58.
    Yes I feel the same now. The tinkering has made it slightly worse than it could have been, I would have prefer they just shrink the proportions and don’t change anything else. With Tudor, there is always something that prevents a home run,…close but a pass for me. The red text is unnecessary vintage and goes against the modern style, the shiny bezel and dial doesn’t work in my eyes, cheapens it up (though I think Tudor thinks the opposite).
    Last edited by ac11111; 1st September 2022 at 13:11.

Craftsman

Quick comparison

On the 39 is the clasp titanium or stainless steel as on the 42
    That put me off the 42 a bit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Anyone know how thick I’m the case is?

The reviews say the case is 11.8mm thick.

Master

Few snaps, width comparison with exhibition Sub

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    The reviews say the case is 11.8mm thick.
    Now, that is a proper improvement.