closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 39mm Pelagos no-date!

Craftsman
    Hello waitlist

That for me is about as perfect as a modern day diver can get. Even the dial text feels toned down, if i had the money id already be sold!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I really like it, got my name down for one.

Can’t wait for real world pics to actually see it

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by frp422 View Post
    This just popped up on my Instagram feed, looks pretty awesome! £3,500 and already thinking I might prefer this to my FXD...

https://www.tudorwatch.com/en/pelagos-39

Ant
    Christ that’s disappointing.

A Diet Pelagos.

The no date, the red text, the fact it no longer has ‘rotor self winding’ on the dial… winners. Something I’ve wanted for a while on a black Pelagos. But I really don’t like the size, or at least the idea of the size and that sunburst bezel looks too blingy, there’s no spring loaded clasp, no helium release valve, the WR is *ahem* watered down…

It’ll sell like hot cakes of course, but for me it’s another Tudor tale of close but no cigar.

If they just took ‘rotor self winding’ off the dial of the garden variety, that would be good enough right there…

This one… for me… meh.
    Last edited by PSTW; 30th August 2022 at 18:53.

Well damn, this is probably the perfect modern Tudor for me!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

It's worth watching the video - the dial looks the opposite of blingy from what I can see, sunburst, yes, but a semi-matt finish.
    Love the solid lume block indices too. Does look to wear very well, 39 mm with a dial and bezel this clear is plenty big-enough, and on the rubber I could be very tempted indeed (££££ notwithstanding).
    The FXD left me stone cold, but not this. It's clearly the result of some solid market research.

https://youtu.be/s7ey1eUnsI8

The only thing I'd change if it was me (and I fully expect to be in a minority of 1) is to set the indices into the rehaut in the way of the original 42mm Pelagos - it's a feature that set Pelagos apart from the vast majority of its peers, and I've always loved that design quirk.

This looks perfect to my eyes except maybe the sunburst dial might look a little dressy on a tool watch. Also the price is pretty close to the full fat Pelagos where I would have expected a greater differential.

I have been looking to to replace the BB58 Gilt I sold last year and despite picking up an FXD I think I might add this to the collection as an every day do it all watch.

I will be checking the watch out in person tomorrow afternoon.

Another toe curling Tudor Video, I am not sure who they think buys their watches.
    Last edited by petay993; 30th August 2022 at 19:43.

Quote Originally Posted by PSTW View Post
    Christ that’s disappointing.

A Diet Pelagos.

The no date, the red text, the fact it no longer has ‘rotor self winding’ on the dial… winners. Something I’ve wanted for a while on a black Pelagos. But I really don’t like the size, or at least the idea of the size and that sunburst bezel looks too blingy, there’s no spring loaded clasp, no helium release valve, the WR is *ahem* watered down…

It’ll sell like hot cakes of course, but for me it’s another Tudor tale of close but no cigar.

If they just took ‘rotor self winding’ off the dial of the garden variety, that would be good enough right there…

This one… for me… meh.
    You have pretty much nailed my thoughts. The Red text is naff though IMO
    Nice enough but not enough for me to want one. Meh.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    This looks perfect to my eyes except maybe the sunburst dial might look a little dressy on a tool watch. Also the price is pretty close to the full fat Pelagos where I would have expected a greater differential.

I have been looking to to replace the BB58 Gilt I sold last year and despite picking up an FXD I think I might add this to the collection as an every day do it all watch.

I will be checking the watch out in person tomorrow afternoon.

Another toe curling Tudor Video, I am not sure who they think buys their watches.
    That's great, some wrist shots would be appreciated.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    You have pretty much nailed my thoughts. The Red text is naff though IMO
    Nice enough but not enough for me to want one. Meh.
    It’s very close…. So very frustrating. One day Tudor will make a watch I can buy!

Master
    Blog Entries
    The dial/size combo would be my concern. Might look a bit glitzy and feminine for a tool watch. If you can't get an ND sub though it's a great option

I put my name down at the Bristol Boutique before the store had any idea what was going on ("yes sir, we have only just watched the video like you"). I was not first on their list.
    I then got a call later this afternoon to give me confirmation that at least one will be arriving this week, and I should expect a call to get an appointment to view and confirm interest.
    They also confirmed that they are adding to the list "about every 20 minutes" at the moment.
    It'll be interesting to see how fast they deliver these.
    They will sell like hot cakes.
    For me, they have done almost everything you could ever want to the original Pelagos to improve it.
    Perfect size
    Removal of recessed indices
    Removal of date
    A little more visual interest (dial and bezel texture) to give character.
    I am not so sure about the red, that seems like a Rolex detail for the sake of it.

The only way to improve this (for me) would be to do it in exactly the right blue.

I will also be interested to feel what this size feels like in Titanium.

D

39mm Pelagos no-date!

That is a lovely watch, and a strong release

I’m not sure about the red text, and I think I would prefer it in the correct shade of blue ( think FXD). I probably won’t try and buy one, as I’m a little too Submariner positive for that, but it’s a strong release nonetheless. If I was Omega, Breitling, or anyone else, I would be afraid.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by helidoc; 30th August 2022 at 21:08.

Cool

I like it.

Nice touch it comes with a very decent rubber strap too. I’m sure it’ll wear a smidge larger than the 39mm size suggests (a good thing in my view) too.

Craftsman
    I like it too. Beginning to wonder whether to sell my BB GMT for one of these. Also titanium, so very light.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

I am a big fan, looks right up my street. Name down and hopefully get one soon. Well soon ish

Another win 👌

On reflection :

If you removed the branding, text and snowflake hand, you are left with something pretty generic.

I’m sure it will be a sell out, then the WIS will tire of it, and many will appear on SC.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    That's great, some wrist shots would be appreciated.
    Will do my best.

I am interested to see how muted or otherwise the Sunray dial is. I am not so concerned about the satin ceramic bezel with the radial brushing, that for me is an interesting touch.

I am not sure what the resistance to a splash of red on the dial is all about, it never did the DRSD any harm.

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I’m sure it will be a sell out, then the WIS will tire of it, and many will appear on SC.
    Sounds like a normal Tudor release.

Interesting and a bit odd how much their promotional video features the new Pelagos worn by quite a petite looking woman. I’m not saying women can’t wear sports watches, but this seems a strange model to bling up with the starburst dial and bezel - to make it a bit more jazzy and less tool looking - whilst retaining the flat finish/utilitarian titanium tool watch look in the case and bracelet. I’d have to see one in person before I decide if they’ve made it a bit too pretty in the process of trying to appeal to men and women alike. I used to be firmly in the 44mm Panerai are totally wearable/ all Rolex are a bit small camp, but the BB58 changed my mind and I find it the perfect size on my large wrist, it suits the vintage vibe. Just not sure that same size will work for a design like this, especially without a flat Matt dial and bezel. I’d have to see it in the metal first, the video and press photos don’t really help do they??

Master
    Blog Entries
    Anyone ding the constant ‘Pealagos’ in that vid really annoying?

I am now interested in a diver (which I already have plenty) and a Tudor—which I like but previously enough previously to buy one.

I agree with Dave: Tudor did everything to the Pelagos that would pique my interest. It will be interesting to learn what it is like on the wrist.

Hodinkee have had their say.

A real world wrist shot in the article as well.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/tu...the-pelagos-39

Master
    I’ve always liked vintage Tudors but I’ve never been 100% convinced about modern ones… until now. That looks absolutely spot on, well played Tudor.

I wouldn’t replace my BB58 ( classic style with classic proportions) or FXD ( Tool diver with tool diver proportions) with this on my 8.25” wrist, however I can understand the attraction for others and it’s a great addition to the range of options available.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
    Love this. I prefer watches without a date complication. I hope they do a blue one.

Yes indeed. Blue please, Tudor

Looks great, will want to see it in person when it hits the stores. Might have preferred this at 40 give the big brother was also 1mm larger than the BB

Perfecto. Love it.

This looks great. How is Titanium as a daily wear, though? Have seen some titanium watches which end up incredibly scratched in very little time. This is “Grade 2,” though, so not sure if that makes a difference.

I find it remarkable that this, the updated 39mm Tudor Snowflake, has taken so long to arrive. I have zero interest in the current Rolex Sub and struggle with the size and weight of my 42mm Explorer 2 despite having a 7 1/2" wrist. For me the larger Pelagos completely missed the mark, 20mm lugs are the sweet spot for anything 42mm or below, titanium worked for me on my X33 and I'm more embarrassed about having 'Rolex' on my wrist than 'Tudor'. No metal lume plot surrounds, everything in proportion, no date and the starburst finish on dial and bezel. I can't think how they could have made it better (the red writing maybe, but I appreciate it's a modern version and not a continuation of the Snowflake). I'm in no position to buy one right now and will probably have to sell something to buy but I'll be waiting to see if the blue one follows, and most importantly if it has the correct shade of blue.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    On reflection :

If you removed the branding, text and snowflake hand, you are left with something pretty generic.

Dave

My thoughts too. It looks like a fairly generic design and has none of the warmth and charm of the BB58, at least from the renders. I’m sure it’s a very comfortable and well made thing though.

Perhaps I'll think different after seeing it in the flesh but after seeing phots and videos I've gone from 100% sold to thinking that if I wanted a small, stark, tough tool dive watch the Sinn U50 would be difficult to overlook and save a chunk of cash.

YMMV of course

Quote Originally Posted by PSTW View Post
    no helium release valve, the WR is *ahem* watered down…
    How deep was your last dive? Did you have to use your helium release valve?

Quote Originally Posted by Harryb View Post
    People still buy Seadwellers and Seamasters don’t they?
    I think the point is the specification has been reduced along with the size and it has removed one of its USPs

Journeyman
    I have tried to like it, but it doesn't do it for me. Prefer the look of a BB41 and I won't be forming a queue for this one.

Would like to see it in the flesh.. but the older ETA two liner would take some beating.. IMHO

Master
    I'm in the camp of trying to like this but failing. For me, the new case finish and the sunburst dial & bezel all detract from the stark 'tool watch' design ethos of the Pelagos range. Arguably as others have commented this seems more like a titanium BB58, just without the applied indices and polished hands.

Monochrome has some good 'real life' pictures here: https://monochrome-watches.com/tudor...ands-on-price/

The good news, judging from this thread reactions, is that there's going to be a flurry of FXDs being sold soon as people flip them for the new release!
    Last edited by andy100; 31st August 2022 at 10:07.

Quote Originally Posted by andy100 View Post
    I'm in the camp of trying to like this but failing. For me, the new case finish, sunburst dial and (I think) slightly shinier bezel all detract from the stark 'tool watch' desgn ethos of the Pelagos range. Arguably as others have commented this seems more like a titanium BB58, just without the applied indices and polished hands.

Monochrome has some good 'real life' pictures here: https://monochrome-watches.com/tudor...ands-on-price/

The good news, judging from this thread reactions, is that there's going ot be a flurry of FXDs being sold soon as people flip them for the new release!
    I'd agree with all that and most who bought the FXD don't like nato straps, they were just trying to be cool and didn't have an alternative, so loads will be sold.

Quote Originally Posted by MacDeath View Post
    I'd agree with all that and most who bought the FXD don't like nato straps, they were just trying to be cool and didn't have an alternative, so loads will be sold.

I can't stand Nato straps as a rule, but love my Tudor FXD 22 (couldn't care less if it's "cool" or not?) and it's going nowhere anytime soon! And I think you'll find a lot of FXD owners probably feel the same so I don't expect a load to actually come available in reality.

Craftsman
    My last dive was to 55m, on a rebreather with two bailouts. No HEV required on that one. Why do you ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    I can't stand Nato straps as a rule, but love my Tudor FXD 22 (couldn't care less if it's "cool" or not?) and it's going nowhere anytime soon! And I think you'll find a lot of FXD owners probably feel the same so I don't expect a load to actually come available in reality.
    Sorry didn't mean it universally and hope you enjoy it for years to come. I don't mind a nato at all, but nit having another option was always going to make the FXDa one trick pony (a VERY good one mind). The new Pelagos offers options - bracelet, rubber, nato, etc, so will no doubt be popular. Dare I say more popular - I think so.

Quote Originally Posted by andy100 View Post
    I'm in the camp of trying to like this but failing. For me, the new case finish and the sunburst dial & bezel all detract from the stark 'tool watch' design ethos of the Pelagos range. Arguably as others have commented this seems more like a titanium BB58, just without the applied indices and polished hands.

The good news, judging from this thread reactions, is that there's going to be a flurry of FXDs being sold soon as people flip them for the new release!
    This is a very different watch to the FXD, size, colour, fully marked bezel, unique tool case, military connection. I don’t see this 39mm as a replacement.

Given this one some additional thought and think if I was hell bent on seriously reducing the collection to a few core pieces, this could be a contender. Would potentially replace three of my current favourites.....Sinn U50, BB58 and the Seiko SPB143, but on reflection the variety of the those pieces has more appeal for now.

Like a few have mentioned, a blue version would certainly tempt me in to add it alongside the others. All that said it took me a couple of years to add the BB58 so happy for any potential hype to be extinguished before I commit, and by then who knows where I’ll be.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    This is a very different watch to the FXD, size, colour, fully marked bezel, unique tool case, military connection. I don’t see this 39mm as a replacement.
    My original comment was made in slight jest, but I was simply making an observation based on (at least) two posters on this thread about moving on their FXDs for the Pelagos39, and several more commenting the same over on the numerous threads on the new release over on WUS.

Agreed the FXD and Pelagos39 are very different watches both in size, aesthetic and dare I say it, the intended (or at least fantasy perception) usage. For many I'm sure, if they can afford and obtain both, one won't replace the other.

But as we all know the WUS world can be a fickle place and we've all experienced a case of the Emperor's New Clothes at some point. I wonder how many people that commented on the FXD 'not wearing as big as the dimensions would indicate', and how it's a great size for an everyday wearer. are now proclaiming that the Pelagos39 is just perfectly sized?
    Last edited by andy100; 31st August 2022 at 12:16.

Master
    3.5k price and and Grade 2 Titanium ?

Grade 5 Titanium cost to much ? ....well, let's maximize the profit...

Master
    Some good real-life close-ups in this video, on bracelet/rubber/nato, albeit in German: https://youtu.be/UWsP5O_Ys5A

The dial doesn't seem to have the sheen that the bezel clearly has.

Ant

I love all this talk of manly tool watches when Tudor's marketing seems to suggest that the core audience is women shopping or hanging around the pool.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    I love all this talk of manly tool watches when Tudor's marketing seems to suggest that the core audience is women shopping or hanging around the pool.
    I think as most of us are men, there may be more sense to that than might first meet the eye.

This looks great. How is Titanium as a daily wear, though? Have seen some titanium watches which end up incredibly scratched .
    This may be the only 'down side' to this proposition. When I first got back into watches in 2013 I purchased a Citizen Nighthawk when I was in Alaska. There was a titanium alternative but the salesman said titanium scratches easier than steel so I went with the steel option.