closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 39mm Pelagos no-date!

Hopefully this should drop the demand on the FXD

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsan View Post
    Hopefully this should drop the demand on the FXD

Doubt it as they are very different watches and likely supply numbers..

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post
    Picked one up yesterdayvery nice

Looks really good. Definitely like that it has no date.

Sent from my 2109119DG using Tapatalk

Looks great in indirect light, such as the pics above. Really dont like it in direct light. But not many watches look their best in direct harsh light tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Probably, i'm just hopeful as the FXD is the only watch I would consider buying from the Tudor lineup

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Apologies for being a bit salty, but I am genuinely flabbergasted by some of the attitudes.
    It's not the attitudes, it's primarily due to marketing which has flowed through society (and that's every society, not just British).

Rolex over the last couple of decades at least, have been seen as the watch brand of the extremely affluent. Travel to any working town and watch the admiring glances of the young men (primarily men, doesn't seem to affect women as much) in the watch shop window, looking at the display of Rolex's believing that they'd never, ever be able to afford one yet there's a glimmer that may be, just may be, their luck will change and one day they'll get one. A prime example of this is the numbers of street sellers in holiday resorts trying to sell fake Rolex and those people who buy then because they can afford 50 but a 30k Daytona might be the cost of their first house.

the comments about people being advised what to wear, watch wise, in certain employment environments completely holds true and again, is all about marketing and the impression someone leaves. In any situation, wearing an expensive watch gives the impression of money and wearing a cheap watch, the opposite. So if you're trying to sell a product to someone with not a lot of disposable income, a classy but less expensive watch gives the impression that you know what you're talking about but don't overcharge. If you want to give the impression that you have a lot of contacts with money, if you're an investment banker for instance, then an expensive watch gives that impression. Another prime example of this is why do male presenters on television generally wear suits? Do we take them less seriously if they wear a short sleeved shirt and jeans, of course we do. Take Instagram, the number of people. primarily young people, who feel that they have to look a certain way like those people promoting it on the social media platform.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    So we've got a situation where you can`t wear a Rolex at work because it gives out the wrong message, and you dare not wear it because you're likely to get slapped and have it stolen on the way home?......... retirement in a small northern industrial town suddenly seems more appealing than it was when I got up this morning!
    since when is it any different in a small northern industrial town?

Master
    Got to try the 39mm yesterday, and also tried a 42mm model for comparison. The new 39 is indeed a lovely thing, but waaay to small IMHO. Picture to compare the two along with my FXD. The FXD is a very different proposition to either bracelet mounted Pelagos, again entirely IMHO.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    I do think this is why they only released the black dial initially though, a blue version would no doubt get people thinking about a switch from the FXD waitlist to the Pelagos 39 blue waitlist.

Maybe they this will be the last year of the FXD and then in January we will see the Blue Pelagos 39 as the replacement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TTSFR View Post
    I do think this is why they only released the black dial initially though, a blue version would no doubt get people thinking about a switch from the FXD waitlist to the Pelagos 39 blue waitlist.

Maybe they this will be the last year of the FXD and then in January we will see the Blue Pelagos 39 as the replacement.

Unless the FXD was a planned short run (which may be why the year is part of the model reference), they won't stop production. They are a mass manufacturer and the FXD and Pelagos could happily work side by side in the market. Personally If I were Tudor I'd be greedy and produce a black FXD too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wasnt there a 3 year life cycle muted for the FXD?

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Got to try the 39mm yesterday, and also tried a 42mm model for comparison. The new 39 is indeed a lovely thing, but waaay to small IMHO. Picture to compare the two along with my FXD. The FXD is a very different proposition to either bracelet mounted Pelagos, again entirely IMHO.

Good picture and largely agree. It's basically a BB58 Pelagos.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Good picture and largely agree. It's basically a BB58 Pelagos.
    Identical.....apart from the switch to Titanium, ceramic lumed bezel, square non fauxtina lume markers, ceramic block lume, T fit clasp, semi sunburst dial, flat crystal, 21mm lug width, fully brushed case, non rivet bracelet, diver extension.......
    Twins
    Last edited by petay993; 4th September 2022 at 10:35.

Got to try the 39mm yesterday, and also tried a 42mm model for comparison. The new 39 is indeed a lovely thing, but waaay to small IMHO. Picture to compare the two along with my FXD.
    Thats a good picture, I have been on the fence with the size, I initially said no to the AD, then changed my mind and have decided to give one a go, now Im not so sure again! Maybe should have stuck with the FXD.

Might be a bit unfair to compare a 39mm to a pair of 42mm pieces to point out its “too small”?!

Just saying Rob…..

For me all that matters is how sits on your wrist.

Might be a bit unfair to compare a 39mm to a pair of 42mm pieces to point out its too small?!

Just saying Rob..

For me all that matters is how sits on your wrist.
    Indeed. Another way of looking at it is that the 42mm are too big.

Just putting this back up again for some context.

Master

For me this shows how big the og is and the 39 for me is the ideal size. Each to their own.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    Just putting this back up again for some context.

Good picture.
    Am I the only one who feels the dial looks a little 'bare' on the Pelagos 39?
    The text at 12 and 6 are pushed up / down which is shown nicely vs. the sub.
    Hence there look like larger gaps around the dial, including at 3 and 9. Also, this picture shows nicely the lack of bezel marker at 10. Which I know is a Pelagos thing, but prefer the Sub bezel.
    Again, if I get the call I will buy it and try it and hopefully bond with it and use it as a 'daily work watch'.
    But the sub really is untouchable.

Pooped into my AD yesterday on the off chance they might have one on display and unsurprisingly no luck. Visiting a Tudor AD is no fun these days unless you like looking at a sorry collection of BB 41s and the P01 thats been there since before the dawn of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryb View Post
    Pooped into my AD yesterday on the off chance they might have one on display and unsurprisingly no luck. Visiting a Tudor AD is no fun these days unless you like looking at a sorry collection of BB 41s and the P01 thats been there since before the dawn of time.
    Perhaps pooping wasnt the wisest idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post

He has a special relationship.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Master
    Blog Entries
    One thing I dont get. Why include the rubber/ second strap without the suitable tweezers or tool change them.

Same for rest of the range

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post

Sounds a bit messy although I wouldn't mind trying that strategy at my local Rolex AD

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    One thing I dont get. Why include the rubber/ second strap without the suitable tweezers or tool change them.

Same for rest of the range
    You are WIS, you are supposed to own a set, Bergeon as well, non of that Ali Express rubbish

Amazingly my supplying AD didn't have the plier type tools either.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Good picture.
    Hence there look like larger gaps around the dial, including at 3 and 9. Also, this picture shows nicely the lack of bezel marker at 10. Which I know is a Pelagos thing, but prefer the Sub bezel.
    Again, if I get the call I will buy it and try it and hopefully bond with it and use it as a 'daily work watch'.
    Possibly exacerbated by the floating seconds hand and no date. Happy with it though as it makes the watch appear a little larger on the wrist and adds a toolish clarity.

I like all three watches, but for me this picture just confirms they got it right first time with the Pelagos - all I'd change is switch to the FXD 's grippier bezel-edge.

Master
    Sorry, I dont understand your question? 🤷🏼*♂️
    I think the question, which concerned legal firms insisting or strongly advising their employees against wearing a watch worth more than 10k, is how they determine the value of a watch?

Are they using RRP to determine value? What if the watch is a few years old, or discontinued?
    Do they apply some depreciation formula after a few years? Do they track second-hand asking prices? If so, which index?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    One day I might give in to the daemon that sits on my shoulder occasionally whispering it's poison in my ear and when I see a sales post saying 'absolutely no offers' I will post 'Ah, I was going to offer 350 but you've put 300 no offers so I won't bother'

Master
    You are WIS, you are supposed to own a set, Bergeon as well, non of that Ali Express rubbish

Amazingly my supplying AD didn't have the plier type tools either.
    Even though the instructions that come with a Peagos tell you to go to your AD to have the rubber put on, and presumably back again when you want it back on the bracelet. Be nice if it was FOC, doubt it though, although it would probably come back with added value scratches on the lugs.

Quote Originally Posted by NickRed71 View Post
    I think the question, which concerned legal firms insisting or strongly advising their employees against wearing a watch worth more than 10k, is how they determine the value of a watch?

Are they using RRP to determine value? What if the watch is a few years old, or discontinued?
    Do they apply some depreciation formula after a few years? Do they track second-hand asking prices? If so, which index?

As far as I know (having asked the question) there is no set monetary figure used so cant help you here Nick..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PSTW View Post
    In fairness in some photos it looks quite austere and more like an instrument, in others it looks very shiny and more like a trinket.
    That is very well put, exactly what I thought when I went to local AD to check the watch. It looked "tactical", but shiny in direct light. It's a nice watch and I'm sure it will be a success, but it's not for me.

I have the BB58 in 39mm and it has the vintage look and feel. I understand that it's not what everyone likes, but I like the vintage look more than the Pelagos "tactical" look.

Master

Adrian Barker's review

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post

Adrian Barker's review
    This sums up my thoughts completely. Especially having owned both 58s and the blue Pelagos. The vintage look and faux lume stuff was always going to be a fad in my opinion. Owning my original 58 brought that home for me. I think the Pelagos will stand the test of time from a design perspective more than the 58 range and the 39 is for me the best example of the Pelagos line.

Apprentice
    Was lucky to pick one up this weekend, heres a quick shot of it.

If this watch was a shag it would be missionary.

I mean, I wouldn't say no, but at least the FXD was kinky (and a bit French )

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xxnick1975; 4th September 2022 at 21:29.

Master
    Blog Entries

39mm Pelagos no-date!

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    If this watch was a shag it would be missionary.

I mean, I wouldn't say no, but at least the FXD was kinky (and a bit French )

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
    Ha ha haaaaa

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    This sums up my thoughts completely. Especially having owned both 58s and the blue Pelagos. The vintage look and faux lume stuff was always going to be a fad in my opinion. Owning my original 58 brought that home for me. I think the Pelagos will stand the test of time from a design perspective more than the 58 range and the 39 is for me the best example of the Pelagos line.
    I beg to differ. Whilst I agree the 58 is vintage in its design, the 39mm design really suits that ethos and frankly classic is classic, it doesnt really go out of style imho. Ive not owned a Pelagos but I tried one on when I was deciding between the black dial 58 and the older black Pelagos, and they felt and looked so different I dont really see them as in competition with each other. I have 9 inch wrists - I actually found the clasp on the Pelagos really fiddly and the only way it fit me was with the spring section extended - but it reminded my of my Sinn U1 that I sold as it just felt too bland and clinical - too flat, and quite heavy and clunky. The Pelagos felt the same, which isnt a criticism but its designed as a proper divers watch which I dont actually need. Im sure the 39mm Pelagos is very nice, Losing the thickness and heaviness of the original but still very Matt and clinical in appearance. I am planning to buy an FXD in a year or two if they are still available (lighter, more casual, I like the blue) - my 58 is my daily and dont see myself getting bored with it - and imho theyd make a good pairing, a smart/casual black dialled 58 and a casual Matt blue Natod FXD. Its great to have more choice though - Tudor seem to be releasing a new model every month at the moment. Anyone remember the fuss over the Ranger??

39mm Pelagos no-date!

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Good picture.
    I feel the bareness comes from the blobs of lume added to the dial. No nice, or faceted indices, and in that respect feels a bit cheap.

In fact for 3,500 I would have expected better indices, or a reduced price to reflect the less complicated construction of the dial.

I enjoyed Adrians video review, and it was interesting to see the 3 watches compared.

Tudor has some great offerings, and there isnt much else at the price point.

The BB58 is certainly prettier, but who knows if fashion will turn on the vintage look. The Pelagos 39 is certainly more contemporary, my only criticism is that it doesnt really bring anything new to the dress-diver segment. It is very similar in feel to Seikos SPB 143, although with a lot more quality, finesse and prestige,

For me the BB58 would probably fit better in the collection, mainly due to the vintage look, as there are a couple of Subs in there.

The watch Im most interested in is the FXD, mainly because its a bit bonkers, although I can see the attraction of it being single pass only wearing a bit thin. Sometimes there is an attraction to a diver a bit far from the dress diver norm, thats currently my U1, although the FXD is definitely worth a look.

Dave

Identical.....apart from the switch to Titanium, ceramic lumed bezel, square non fauxtina lume markers, ceramic block lume, T fit clasp, semi sunburst dial, flat crystal, 21mm lug width, fully brushed case, non rivet bracelet, diver extension.......
    Twins
    And slightly shorter lug to lug dont forget - oh and a second strap.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    And slightly shorter lug to lug dont forget - oh and a second strap.
    Well yeah but apart from all that, hard to separate them

39mm Pelagos no-date!

[QUOTE=RobDad;6059878]I beg to differ. Whilst I agree the 58 is vintage in its design, the 39mm design really suits that ethos and frankly classic is classic, it doesnt really go out of style imho. Ive not owned a Pelagos but I tried one on when I was deciding between the black dial 58 and the older black Pelagos, and they felt and looked so different I dont really see them as in competition with each other. I have 9 inch wrists - I actually found the clasp on the Pelagos really fiddly and the only way it fit me was with the spring section extended - but it reminded my of my Sinn U1 that I sold as it just felt too bland and clinical - too flat, and quite heavy and clunky. The Pelagos felt the same, which isnt a criticism but its designed as a proper divers watch which I dont actually need. Im sure the 39mm Pelagos is very nice, Losing the thickness and heaviness of the original but still very Matt and clinical in appearance. I am planning to buy an FXD in a year or two if they are still available (lighter, more casual, I like the blue) - my 58 is my daily and dont see myself getting bored with it - and imho theyd make a good pairing, a smart/casual black dialled 58 and a casual Matt blue Natod FXD. Its great to have more choice though - Tudor seem to be releasing a new model every month at the moment. Anyone remember the fuss over the Ranger??

I have both and would say its the perfect two watch collection
    Last edited by Lammylee; 5th September 2022 at 07:40.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I beg to differ. Whilst I agree the 58 is vintage in its design, the 39mm design really suits that ethos and frankly classic is classic, it doesnt really go out of style imho. Ive not owned a Pelagos but I tried one on when I was deciding between the black dial 58 and the older black Pelagos, and they felt and looked so different I dont really see them as in competition with each other. I have 9 inch wrists - I actually found the clasp on the Pelagos really fiddly and the only way it fit me was with the spring section extended - but it reminded my of my Sinn U1 that I sold as it just felt too bland and clinical - too flat, and quite heavy and clunky. The Pelagos felt the same, which isnt a criticism but its designed as a proper divers watch which I dont actually need. Im sure the 39mm Pelagos is very nice, Losing the thickness and heaviness of the original but still very Matt and clinical in appearance. I am planning to buy an FXD in a year or two if they are still available (lighter, more casual, I like the blue) - my 58 is my daily and dont see myself getting bored with it - and imho theyd make a good pairing, a smart/casual black dialled 58 and a casual Matt blue Natod FXD. Its great to have more choice though - Tudor seem to be releasing a new model every month at the moment. Anyone remember the fuss over the Ranger??

Time will tell but I can see the faux/cream luke and fake rivets being a thing of the time. The blue 58 looks more modern due to the colour choice so maybe will fare better. Ultimately if folk are happy they are happy. They are all fantastic for the price.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by NickRed71 View Post

Very good question! I wondered the same.

I joined a big London law firm back in the early noughties. Even 20 years ago we were provided with a mandatory meeting with an image consultant. They advised us on the cut of the suits we should wear, the correct shoes, belts, shirt cuffs and collars, tie patterns (according to face shape) and the use of fragrances. On watches, there was a request that leather straps were preferred over bracelets but there was definitely no price cap. It was very normal to see the partners wearing IWC, JLC, Breguet and the occasional Patek. Rolexes were thin on the ground. Frankly I found the whole thing bizarre and elitist.

Master
    Blog Entries

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Haha! I hope their marketing team sees that.

Journeyman
    Ive decided to sell by BB58 and replace it with a P39. This one ticks all the boxes for me.

Journeyman
    Adrian Barker has done one of his best videos on the Pelagos 39. Apologies if has already been linked:

https://youtu.be/SHndK5eIcDE

Master
    I am going to try one on at my AD this week, have a funny feeling it will be too hard to resist.