closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What's the differnce between 'trade' paint and retail paint?

What's the differnce between 'trade' paint and retail paint?

As per title; what's the differnce between 'trade' paint and retail paint?

Master
    maybe this helps

https://www.thepaintshed.com/trade-p...r-retail-paint

i have found with paint you generally get what you pay for, for example benjamin moore paint is better than color trend.

"Calling Hilly10, Come in Hilly10" !

About 30%
    Cheers..
    Jase

Blog Entries
    Big Sikkens fan here (Dutch company Sikkens. Followed by the other Dutch company Sigma). Professional paint 'sticks' better, it flows more evenly; one single coat puts on a better coat than cheaper paint. In the end, you're quicker with professional paint and for large stretches: it's cheaper because you use less paint for the second coat and still get a great result.

And for outdoor paint: the weather-resistance components are superior.

Skill builder had a dispute with Dulux between their trade and consumer paint, the outcome was an interesting explanation of the differences.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hilly here.

The best paints are Dulux, Armstead both ICI, Crown Johnstones and Leyland but always buy from the brands Trade Centres. B&Q supplied Dulux, Crown paints etc are not Trade and are not the same quality no matter what they tell you.

All the new so called new world paints ie Farrow and Ball are not bad quality but the coverage is not as good as the premium brands. If you do go to a Trade Centre it’s possible to get all these new world paints mixed in the main brands colours exactly for a lot less money.

What's the differnce between 'trade' paint and retail paint?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0019rcb

Related and might be of some interest.

Paint - Sliced Bread

We watch paint dry for you to find out if pricey paint that promises to be better for you, your walls and your environment is worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Hilly here.

The best paints are Dulux, Armstead both ICI, Crown Johnstones and Leyland but always buy from the brands Trade Centres. B&Q supplied Dulux, Crown paints etc are not Trade and are not the same quality no matter what they tell you.

All the new so called new world paints ie Farrow and Ball are not bad quality but the coverage is not as good as the premium brands. If you do go to a Trade Centre it’s possible to get all these new world paints mixed in the main brands colours exactly for a lot less money.
    I take it the trade paint you get in B&Q etc is the same trade paint in the trade centres?

I used some B&Q own brand the other day for someone as that's what they bought and it went on great with superb opacity. It was a dark'ish olive green going over white wash and covered in one coat. I was surprised.

That video is very enlightening. By the looks of it the cheaper stuff is just as good if you are just redecorating with the trade stuff being more versatile but crazy expensive.
    Last edited by sprite1275; 30th August 2022 at 17:58.

Coincidentally I was looking at this earlier today as dulux trade (& some other trade paints) were recommended for painting the interior walls of my static caravan. Seems trade paint is of a higher opacity with richer colour pigmentation.

Just need to see if my nearest dulux decorator shop can do it in the colour I want.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    I take it the trade paint you get in B&Q etc is the same trade paint in the trade centres?

No

The branded paints in B&Q are not the same quality they are DIY and nowhere near as good as the Trade centre.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Farrow & ball is utter wank imho. It took 3 coats to cover a white wall.

On a side note, used dunelm paint the other day and it was way better than mainstream stuff from B&Q.

Thanks for the info Hilly, next time I need paint I will get myself to a trace centre next time I need paint

Jotun, 2-pack. Enough said.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
    Jotun, 2-pack. Enough said.
    Are you gonna emulsion walls with that stuff then. This is about decorative paints

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dulux View Post
    Coincidentally I was looking at this earlier today as dulux trade (& some other trade paints) were recommended for painting the interior walls of my static caravan. Seems trade paint is of a higher opacity with richer colour pigmentation.

Just need to see if my nearest dulux decorator shop can do it in the colour I want.

Dulux can cross match most of the brands also if you have sample they can scan it. I used to use my own portable Dulux scanner out on site used to save me loads of time.

Master
    Hilly here.

Does ICI exist anymore?
    Isn’t Dulux now an Akzonobel brand?
    From personal experience, I’ve used quite a lot of Armstead paint over the last few years and although it’s relatively cheap, have not been at all impressed with it.
    Last edited by klunk; 31st August 2022 at 08:32.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Big Sikkens fan here (Dutch company Sikkens.
    Now owned by AkzoNobel, but I totally agree, this is excellent (if eye-wateringly dear) stuff!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Does ICI exist anymore?
    Isn’t Dulux now an Akzonobel brand?
    From personal experience, I’ve used quite a lot of Armstead paint over the last few years and although it’s relatively cheap, have not been at all impressed with it.

Armstead is a great product mostly used within the trade for New Work

Dulux is now owned by Akzo

Hilly here.

In this house and the last one I've used Johnstones paint for all the walls and ceilings. Nip into the local trade centre and ask for them to knock up Farrow & Ball equivalent colours (for example 'Pointing' is great for ceilings, and I use 'Off White' for walls). I bought some last month and five litres of Johnstones 'Pointing' equivalent was £45, while the Farrow & Ball tin was over £95. Johnstones paint is easy to use while F&B doesn't go on so well.

Oh and last month I also found five-litre tins of Johnstones white paint for £12 or £15 in Tesco so bought a couple of those for general work and some ceilings in darker parts of the house (stairwells, for example).
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Yes I know, have used it extensively on numerous new dry lining projects - in my experience/opinion nice finish - eventually, but poor opacity/coverage

So like a 'mist' coat on new plaster? What matt white paint would you use when painting over existing emulsion on walls a nd ceilings?

I found armstead trade emulsion to be excellent. Good opacity and coverage compared to b&q bought Dulux we used in the past.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    I found armstead trade emulsion to be excellent. Good opacity and coverage compared to b&q bought Dulux we used in the past.
    Strange, after trying their matt emulsion once and not liking and trying it again after following recommendation by my local Dulux Trade Centre, I gave up with it and went back to Dulux trade - hey ho!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    So like a 'mist' coat on new plaster? What matt white paint would you use when painting over existing emulsion on walls a nd ceilings?

For ceilings I would use Armstead Contract Matt

For walls low traffic areas Armstead Vinyl Matt

For Walls high traffic areas Armstead Durable Matt (which was the First generation Dulux Diamond Matt Formulation) not a lot of people know that.

Are you gonna emulsion walls with that stuff then. This is about decorative paints
    He didn't say that though..... should have been more specific. I last painted our house about 25 years ago and it is still sticking to the walls and doors! I think I used Johnsons.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
    He didn't say that though..... should have been more specific. I last painted our house about 25 years ago and it is still sticking to the walls and doors! I think I used Johnsons.
    25 years ago 😳

Journeyman
    The price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Valspar colour matched to Farrow and Ball etc are a decent option. Fairly cheap and good coverage

Master
    Dukes trade diamond eggshell for all my wood indoors. Not as durable as the satin finishes, but 5yrs on and the inside of my siring cupboard door & all wardrobes are still white and have not yellowed.

Banister has needed a couple of touch ups where it has worn, but the rest is still going strong. Was recommended by a trade centre when I said I was fed up with yellowing of my white wood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Watchmanuk4 View Post
    Valspar colour matched to Farrow and Ball etc are a decent option. Fairly cheap and good coverage
    I must be cheaper than you. My last paint order was Johnstone’s Trade colour matched to a Valspar colour 😂

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchmanuk4 View Post
    IMO Valspar is one of the worst paints I have ever used. It was so crap I threw it away and repainted.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    IMO Valspar is one of the worst paints I have ever used. It was so crap I threw it away and repainted.
    😆

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    I must be cheaper than you. My last paint order was Johnstone’s Trade colour matched to a Valspar colour 😂
    😆

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Dukes trade diamond eggshell for all my wood indoors. Not as durable as the satin finishes, but 5yrs on and the inside of my siring cupboard door & all wardrobes are still white and have not yellowed.

Banister has needed a couple of touch ups where it has worn, but the rest is still going strong. Was recommended by a trade centre when I said I was fed up with yellowing of my white wood.

You have a cupboard for that? ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    You have a cupboard for that? ;-)
    Haha, do you not?

Airing cupboard lol.

The BBC radio show "Sliced Bread" did an episode on paint last month. It's available on BBC Sounds here, and also via podcast.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Haha, do you not?
    Need a little more room than a typical cupboard provides, for friskiness and romping. ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    As above, pretty much anything you buy in B&Q isn't as good quality as trade paint.

If trade paints are so much better, begs the question, why are others even sold?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    If trade paints are so much better, begs the question, why are others even sold?
    Many people aren't willing to pay for quality. They want their twofer deal at b&q.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post

Because people think cost before quality.