closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The final exit watch

The final exit watch

If there is a final exit that is...........

I long ago came to terms with my drive to hyper-fixate on things. The final bit of this understanding came about when I was identified in my 50's as being Autistic. That's a whole other subject though......

As I have reached a position of relative calm, stability and acceptance in my life then I find that my interests and certainly my specific intense interests are less focused on material things. Sure, I continue to seem a little different to the norm by the way that I remain compelled to acquire things I like in multiples (from electric razors to shoulder bags - I find it difficult not to enter a '2' in the Amazon order box!) - however the multiples have decreased and as I have said the material is far less important to me now that it was. My intense focus has gradually shifted more to my work (I am an NHS diagnostician for neurodevelopmental conditions), voluntary work (NAS, youth art projects), more appropriate relationships and a variety or arts and outdoor pursuits.

Which brings me to more rumination on watches. Although I have had a more than a passing interest in most of my life, its only the past 20 years that I they have been a particular interest. I think that this moved into a higher gear when I joined this forum but that could be said of quite of few people here I think.

During this time my focus has followed particular themes including modified Vostoks, space watches and vintage pieces. Highlights have included the Explorer 1, classic Speedmaster and vintage Seamaster,

There have been numerous attempts to get down to one watch and leave the merry go round of flipping and obsessing over the next illogical trinket......

About 18 months ago I did manage to get down to one which until a few months ago was working very well. In this case a CWCT20

However, it never felt totally right as a) even though it was bottom end in comparison to most of the things you guys like it was still too much value wrapped up in what I have increasingly concluded should be a disposable or inconsequential commodity and b) it was a difficult piece to integrate into my need for multiples - I certainly wasn't going to buy a 2nd one.

Then, something happened - I spotted a new low end Casio. It immediately remined me of the ultra rare Omega Speedmaster 186.0004 and this set my mind in motion.

As regards the 186.0004, well you either know or you dont. But its the one watch that haunts my dreams. I owned two at one point. Now even rarer and impossible to buy for less than 1K I know that I will never own another......

OK, the Casio isnt the same - but to me it had the same vibe about it and can be had for 26GBP from Amazon

So taken was I with this I bought a gold coloured version which in a kind of tasteless way I absolutely love

And at this price multiples are no problem at all

So the T20 has now gone and I am left with a few cheap Casio's that I am hoping will see me out.......

And so closes that chapter.

This post is important to me as its a kind of message to myself and fulfils my need to complete all steps in a process. If its of some passing interest to anyone else then thats a bonus I guess.

Ive net some lovely, kind souls on here and at times its been a great place to spend time on. However, its now time for me to move on I think.

Live long and prosper all!

What a lovely positive post.
    And I suspect that many of us would envy the position that you now find yourself in, which includes me.
    Most often the simply things in life are the best.

Hopefully, you will continue to dip your toe in the Forum.
    But for now all the best :-)

Tony

PS Live long and prosper
    Last edited by Topcat30093; 29th August 2022 at 17:15. Reason: correct spelling mistake

I like the Casios. I like multiples, albeit variants attract more than identicals. I imagine most of us have at least a toe over the threshold of The Spectrum...

Here's a thought - I've remained a member of certain forums whose core topic is no longer of much consequence to me.
    Like you, I completed an obsessive-compulsive trajectory and emerged 'cured'.
    One of those forums is now almost entirely devoid of anyone with an active interest in its core topic.
    To an extent - even as a filthy noob - I can see TZ is also a shadow of its erstwhile self.
    We hang-out because feeling part of a wider social group - even online - is quite a good feeling, quite validating; you've shared things, you're known and know others.
    With wider society fragmenting - and most of us who still use forums aging fast - that's actually rather valuable.
    Stay in touch, yeah?

Master
    Ian, thanks for such a wonderful post. Not seen much of you here in recent times and your absence has been felt. I remember your enthusiasm for the LCD Speedmaster. Thanks also for the reminder that although watches are wonderful things to be enjoyed, they’re really quite insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Master
    Nice post. I imagine all people have ups and downs and eventually come to an end with the hobby. Enjoy your watches and best wishes.

Good post, interesting and thoughtful as always. Also nice to see an end game post that isn't about a Rolex.

The LCD Speedmaster is indeed a wonderful watch and yes I too have seen the likeness with those Casio's. As you say nowhere near the same thing but can see the attraction.

Best of luck with the collection and life in general.

Best of luck Ian. Glad you found your happy space with regard to watches.
    Take care and if you do fancy popping your head back in here, I am not sure much will have changed!

Nice post Ian and let’s hope it’s not your final post. You have had numerous attempts at a final position including many CWCs, colourful G-Shocks and Pogues at one point I recall along with toy cars amongst other things. I have always enjoyed your posts.

Stay happy, that’s the main thing.

Well this feels weird. A lot of my journey through this ridiculous hobby has been shared with you Ian, I still use a wooden box and a strap changing tool I got from you perhaps 8 or 9 years ago! It's been fun watching your rollercoaster with this stuff.

I hope this isn't the end of the road for you on here but I'll be happy for you if you have found the end of the road so far as watch obsession goes, I know I haven't yet! Although I wish I was there...

'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    What a lovely post.
    I think there's a lot of autistic spectrum seen in watch collecting and collectors so I don't think you're alone but I'm glad you've found peace and the casios are ace.
    I will miss seeing you about.
    All the best!
    C

not sure if im on the spectrum but i acquire multiples of things i like. trousers especially. they wear out, get spilled on/ripped and then they've stopped making the ones you want! perfectly logical behaviour imo

Craftsman
    Great Post and fabulous that you have completed the wis circle of collecting/obsessing.

Those casios seem great and a fraction of the omega costs.

Hang out and keep a toe in on TZ see how the rest of us continue the struggle ;-)

Sorry to see you go Ian but a nice exit IMO.

All the best mate.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Sochya eh dif, OP !

P.S. And maybe synchronise your Casios when you get a moment, it's hurting my OCD.

P.P.S. Just placed another clothes order today - which included 3 pairs each of two trousers and 8 pairs of the same socks. Like you, I often buy multiples.
    Last edited by jukeboxs; 28th August 2022 at 16:17.

Great post and a lovely watch to end on.

All the best.

Master
    Ian, what a great post.......thank you.

I really enjoyed your post. I have a feeling, though, you will come back around on watches within 12 months. All the best to you!

Grand Master
    A great post and where I would like to see myself over the next 18 months or so.
    What I will end up with Im not sure,possibly a G-Shock....or 2.

Great post, Ian, I hope you decide to stick around for the reasons Earl has so eloquently said.

I trust you have settled into life in Cornwall after your earlier concerns, and that you have managed to find balance and happiness.

I have always enjoyed reading your posts Ian and am still looking for that Stingray.
    Best Wishes to you for the future.

Well written Ian, and good to see such honesty here. I'll miss your presence here, I enjoyed the tongue in cheek banter we had over the years! However you've left a bit of a cliffhanger, how many of the beaded bracelets do you have? We're always here for you at the Hotel California . . . ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

The final exit watch

Nice post. That’s a good end to the run. I do hope that you will keep posting further along the line, I remember you as a regular contributor when I first joined with something interesting to say. I do think that there are valid points with the collecting / spectrum correlation, my brother has been diagnosed but not me, (his thing is older clocks) I wouldn’t be surprised with the outcome if I put myself in that position though, along with many other here perhaps!

Enjoy your new set.
    Last edited by Craizeehair; 29th August 2022 at 08:22.

You'll always be welcome back Ian. Regarding the Casio I have one too, and made this comparison video.

Last edited by Caruso; 28th August 2022 at 20:52.

Blog Entries

The final exit watch

Great post Ian . Sometimes, as we’ve spoken about before, cheap Casios can provide all you need but still have that intrinsic fun attached and as rightly mentioned a vibe or feeling acquired that one normally associates with spending much more . I can totally attest to finding pleasure in the low end of things ( haven’t got the money really for big spends ) now where is my login to the poor man’s watch forum

Take care and who knows you may be back - never say never !……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bond; 28th August 2022 at 21:02.

The final exit watch

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    Duplicated somehow

Apprentice
    Great post I enjoyed reading that. I too am guilty of collecting multiples of the same watch. My usual justification is I have three sons, so myself included the count comes out at 4 sometimes.

Master
    Great post.. quite refreshing actually. Glad to hear that you are now settled, I hope it continues that way !

That’s a great post Ian, full of self-awareness and sensible perspective.

I remember selling you my PRS29a in 2016, one of my regrets.

All the very best, but don’t beat yourself up if you ever get pulled back here. You are always welcome.

Dave

What a wise and uplifting post. Your gold Casio somehow seems to be smiling.
    All the Best.
    Last edited by forpetesake; 29th August 2022 at 12:05.

Master
    A nice soft landing for your watch collecting chapter, and a strangely uplifting change from the usual, 'Patek Master Imperator in Ultra-Gold, grail achieved!'

Best of luck with new journeys.

Journeyman

Gonna sell my Rolex and GS and settle on this one.

I've always enjoyed your posts Ian and I've noticed we have very similar taste in watches over the years. All the best but do keep in touch as others have said.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post

Here's a thought - I've remained a member of certain forums whose core topic is no longer of much consequence to me.
    One of those forums is now almost entirely devoid of anyone with an active interest in its core topic.
    To an extent - even as a filthy noob - I can see TZ is also a shadow of its erstwhile self.
    We hang-out because feeling part of a wider social group - even online - is quite a good feeling, quite validating; you've shared things, you're known and know others.
    With wider society fragmenting - and most of us who still use forums aging fast - that's actually rather valuable.
    Stay in touch, yeah?
    Very nicely put :-)

Bye bye Ian, all the very best wishes to you.

I've enjoyed your contributions here, you'll be missed.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Stay in touch, yeah?
    Probably akin to asking a reformed junkie if he'd still like to hang out in the crack house with his old mates :-)

Enjoy the next phase of life Velorum ! I'm sure some new hobby will come along soon !

Master
    A great position to find yourself Ian. Maybe just one of each or just two steel would do, but as you say - Why not... I have on many occasions had identical pairs of watches and variants up to 5 I think.

In a way the Casio is very much as cool/classic as the Omega and I personally prefer a retro modern to something old that might be less robust.

I am myself struggling to get to a final Zen state having moved to a new lifestage but am repeatedly falling off the wagon albeit at a more affordable (in relative terms) end of things and on things that can be easily moved on the fund day to day living should that be needed.

I think I'm concluding that the behaviour isn't going to disappear, just wax and wane. Having said that I'm on a roll now with cameras and lenses but these are a lot cheaper per unit than many watches and I'm seeing an active market in pre-owned for my chosen brand via the trade or direct via the likes of eBay. I just bought a camera and two lenses and if I don't bond then I already have a trade quote for just £10 less than I shelled out and whilst the bodies will likely continue to depreciate then lenses are likely to be quite resilient and in the meantime I get to play.

Craftsman
    Great post. I’ve very much appreciated your input to the community over the years. All the best for whatever is next!

Thanks for posting this Ian, it's interesting to learn about your journey. We have shared the same watches at times (Seiko Alpinist, CWC quartz diver, vintage Longines conquest). You've always been great to talk and deal with and I sometimes wish that I had kept those watches. I hope that you remain content with your content position and if not then look forward to seeing you back here!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 4th September 2022 at 08:34.

Only seen your post now, says something about how I am using the forum these days I suppose.

Very interesting read, a lot of it I can relate to as in the changes that I have gone through in terms of my watch obsession.

I find it interesting how we are all on our journey through life, meeting on this forum chatting about watches and life at large, sometimes willing to share some deeply personal thoughts and at other times fighting about seemingly irrelevant details.

Enjoy your exit watch in multiples, and please hang around and share a thought or two rather than disappearing into the sunset.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    If anyone is interested in buying one of these ‘classic’ Casios, they’re currently on sale at H Samuels for a bargain £15.90.

https://www.hsamuel.co.uk/webstore/d...=similar_items

Master
    Ian, you were a regular poster when I first joined (2017? am still a relative newcomer) and I always enjoyed your posts. They conveyed a mix of being friendly, funny, informed and grounded.

You made me aware of the perlon strap and I bought my first one from you. I must dig them out, it has been a while…

I am also grateful for your G&D post about Morrisey’s horrific Dad-dancing video (“the rotter has stolen my moves”). I watched that a dozen times and shared it widely.

Thank you, sir.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Just read Ian’s post. We’ve exchanged a couple of watches through the sales section and it’s always been an enjoyable experience.

As with his post about the CWC T20, this post has inspired me to think again about this whole hobby.

I enjoy the chase and the thrill of a new watch, but ultimately the endless buying and selling is losing its magic and I often feel like I’m struggling with an addiction (let’s face it, I am)
    Is it time to consolidate, keep a couple of watches, stop looking at the sales section and move on I ask myself?

All the best Ian - hope you are still a visitor now and again.

Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    If anyone is interested in buying one of these ‘classic’ Casios, they’re currently on sale at H Samuels for a bargain £15.90.

https://www.hsamuel.co.uk/webstore/d...=similar_items
    Just bought 2!

Take care, V - always enjoyed your posts over the years.
    You are a name that has always been here (for me) and always being one of the more positive, witty and interesting voices on the forum - the way it should be.

Enjoy the journey, wherever it goes now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Buy it there, something Swiss.

Blog Entries
    Great post, keep safe and healthy and enjoy the new found 'freedom' ;)
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!