closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Purchasing from the Netherlands.

Purchasing from the Netherlands.

Hello, now we are no longer in the EU what charges will I be liable for if I purchase from a dealer in the Netherlands please ?

Many thanks

Geoff.

20% VAT plus carrier handling charges at the border. Usually this has to be paid prior to delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    20% VAT plus carrier handling charges at the border. Usually this has to be paid prior to delivery.
    Many thanks.

Geoff.

Is it a new watch from a retailer or second-hand?

If new, the retailer should take the Dutch VAT from the retail price as it will be exported out of the EU.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Dealer I bought from deducted the vat ,I paid Uk vat and handling charge before delivery was made to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Is it a new watch from a retailer or second-hand?

If new, the retailer should take the Dutch VAT from the retail price as it will be exported out of the EU.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thank you for replying, it would be a new watch.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    Dealer I bought from deducted the vat ,I paid Uk vat and handling charge before delivery was made to me.
    Many thanks.

Blog Entries
    This is how it should be when buying from a vendor who is registered for VAT in an EU country. (But see below).

(N.B. I am saying all this assuming you are not VAT-registered in the UK, of course, and that you are buying from a vendor who is VAT-registered in their home EU country).

To anyone buying from an EU vendor, be very careful. Some of them still haven't got their head around this 'exporting from the EU' thing and still incorrectly charge their local EU country's VAT on exports. If they do this then you'll get charged UK VAT when the watch is imported into the UK on top of the VAT the vendor incorrectly charged in their home country. You can't reclaim their incorrectly charged VAT.

On the other hand, some EU vendors have simply gone the whole hog and registered for UK VAT. This means that they can and do charge the correct UK VAT on exports to the UK from their EU country. With this, you won't have to pay extra VAT when the watch enters the UK.

And then there is the scheme that HMRC expects vendors worldwide to sign up to (and which markets like eBay and Aliexpress have signed up to on their vendors' behalves so that there is no escape) where UK VAT is automatically added for purchases of less than £135.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 29th August 2022 at 07:43.

Many thanks.
    Geoff.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    This is how it should be when buying from a vendor who is registered for VAT in an EU country. (But see below).

(N.B. I am saying all this assuming you are not VAT-registered in the UK, of course, and that you are buying from a vendor who is VAT-registered in their home EU country).

To anyone buying from an EU vendor, be very careful. Some of them still haven't got their head around this 'exporting from the EU' thing and still incorrectly charge their local EU country's VAT on exports. If they do this then you'll get charged UK VAT when the watch is imported into the UK on top of the VAT the vendor incorrectly charged in their home country. You can't reclaim their incorrectly charged VAT.

On the other hand, some EU vendors have simply gone the whole hog and registered for UK VAT. This means that they can and do charge the correct UK VAT on exports to the UK from their EU country. You won't have to pay extra VAT when the watch enters the UK.

And then there is the scheme that HMRC expects vendors worldwide to sign up to (and which markets like eBay and Aliexpress have signed up to on their vendors' behalves so that there is no escape) where UK VAT is automatically added for purchases of less than £135.
    Thank you Mark.