closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SMITHS in Mad Max 2 - The Road Warrior

SMITHS in Mad Max 2 - The Road Warrior

(This was spotted by Howard Lowe of 'Smiths Bishops Cleeve' on facebook. I just took the screen-grabs and looked into it.)

In Mad Max 2 The Road Warrior (at 1.05mins)

Before nitro

After nitro

The speedometer was in the six-wheeled Humungous Truck on a Ford F-100 Chassis.

The truck has only one seat lined with cow hide. The vehicle is equipped with a loudspeaker system. Behind the seat is a roll bar with megaphones mounted up top. Behind the bar is a spoiler. Riders can often be seen hanging off of the back or sides.

The truck is easily recognizable by its six wheels, with all four of the rear wheels appearing to be powered. The truck also has two large chrome 'big rig' style exhaust pipes and menacing bull bars in the front, which prisoners are mounted to. In the back there are two 55 gallon tanks and a fuel pump. Two tridents and a mace are installed on the sides of the cab.

Humungus' truck also has a nitrous oxide system equipped, which allows it to reach high speeds for a six-wheeled vehicle. This system is used to catch up with the V8 Interceptor , as well as to ram the tanker head-on during the film's final chase.

A replacement part

This ad tells a story
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Smiths gauges were very popular in the Aussie muscle car scene in the 70/80's so their appearance in Mad Max isn't surprising, but this is a good spot for sure.

I have mates who still covet these gauges in their 70's Toranas.

Keen eyes, might give it a watch this weekend

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    They do oil pressure too!

Fill your boots.
    https://www.minisport.com/mini-mecha...-for-mini.html
    There is lots of Smiths stuff still available for old minis.

A post of mine from a couple of years ago with another Smiths sighting in a movie.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ghlight=Smiths

Most of my early cars, starting as a teenager, were minis and so far as I recall they all had Smiths gauges - speedo, temp and oil pressure. My very first was an old early 60s model with the original 'soup stirrer' gear lever and of course the thief-friendly sliding windows which perhaps surprisingly continued in models for many years. I think I was impressed by the whiplash aerial which someone had put on it, but it quickly became apparent that the old girl was completely clapped out. Sorry, I digress.

The majority of people here seem to prefer the older vintage style 'boobies' Smiths logo for TF models, but whilst I like both I tend to favour the block capitals style perhaps because I'd seen it so often on gauges and clocks when I was young.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
    Fill your boots.
    https://www.minisport.com/mini-mecha...-for-mini.html
    There is lots of Smiths stuff still available for old minis.

Speaking of old Minis. Reservoir have hit the sweetspot with the Longbridge (retrograde minutes). I love the little lights and the fuel reserve..
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post

Speaking of old Minis. Reservoir have hit the sweetspot with the Longbridge (retrograde minutes). I love the little lights and the fuel reserve..
    Wow, that's quite something.

But let us not forget this somewhat more understated...

Another Smiths in the wild: the speedometer on the milk float in the Father Ted parody of Speed, in which Dougal has to keep his speed above 5mph otherwise the bomb will explode...

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Journeyman

Red face

would be more shocking to see them use anything that said Lucas in the post apocalypse :) or was that the 70's!

Quote Originally Posted by bluther2 View Post
    would be more shocking to see them use anything that said Lucas in the post apocalypse :) or was that the 70's!
    With Lucas lights - light pollution became a distant memory.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

The PRS-40 could never have been a Mad Max watch for two reasons.

Reason 1:

"Another related but different scenario involves what I like to call (as of five minutes ago when I made it up) the Mad Max Watch Hypothesis. This posits that a mechanical watch is inherently superior to a quartz watch because in the event of a collapse of technological society (which is beginning to seem more like a blessing in disguise than an apocalypse lately, depending on how grouchy you feel about the day's headlines) a mechanical watch can be serviced. A quartz watch on the other hand, will, in the fullness of time, run its battery down and die – not with a bang, but with a whimper." (JACK FORSTER)

The Watch To Wear If You're Going Off The Grid For Good
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...-grid-for-good

Reason 2:

In terms of the equipment used in the Mad Max movies the key words are:

"Found-Objects, Re-purposed."

RE-PURPOSED = Something recognizable used in an unfamiliar way. The idea about repurposing is that the original application should be obvious and the re-purpose surprising.

The PRS-40 is not something re-purposed. If anything, it is a prototype.

Craftsman
    Probably a bit heretical in these parts, but I'm pretty certain I wouldn't be all that bothered about a watch in a post apocalyptic wasteland situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk