closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: UEFA Champions League 2022/23

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post
    The only reason you are in the champions league is because of Rangers and their co-efficient, Tramps have not won a knock out game in the champions league for 15 years…Know you place scum!
    Hey there, stinky knuckle dragger! You hoping for a few bars of soap this Christmas? And some (Eintracht) Frankfurt(ers)?

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    The Rangers are now officially the worst Champions league team in history.
    Breaks my heart. Not.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Breaks my heart. Not.
    At least Bayern Munich are through…

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    If this thread was in the Bear Put, I would gladly tell you what I think of them.

Have a look in the three words thread.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Not many teams can say they hosted and played in the European Cup Final in their stadium, in front of their own fans and lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    Not many teams can say they hosted and played in the European Cup Final in their stadium, in front of their own fans and lost.

Yeah, that was cool.

Years ago at a previous job we had an exec box at the Emirates stadium where we used to host clients. Arsenal were in the Champs League playing Bayern and we invited some VIP guests from Germany, flew them to London, put them up in nice hotel, and of course they were hosted in the box with the copious alcohol, great food etc. I was the main host that day and as an Arsenal fan was kind of wishing them the best (but not if that makes sense).

Needn't have worried - to a man all of the German clients were rampantly anti- Bayern and were raucously cheering on Arsenal throughout. One of the clients was a Schalke fan, can't remember re the others but they absolutely most definitely were ABB (anyone but Bayern).

Master
    Blog Entries
    The only reason you are in the champions league is because of Rangers and their co-efficient, Tramps have not won a knock out game in the champions league for 15 years…Know you place scum!
    WTAF! Where’s this coming from? Scotlands finest clubs are not even close to even a below average European side.

Both The Tic and The Bears aren’t fit to be on the same pitch as the Reals or the Liverpools (in demise).

Get over yourself. Rangers rode their luck throughout last year and failed at the final hurdle. They were the losers! What will they be remembered for: not last years failure but this year’s failure and not last years final.

Celtic continue to flatter. No more.

Look at the players the top eu sides have heading into retirement and Scot’s teams would jump at the chance to have them. They can’t afford them!

Scottish football sucks in its entirety but we Scot’s ooh and ahh at 3rd rate Saturday matches thinking we’re seeing silky soccer. Even the pundits are crap: Miller, both Thompson’s, Coisty and Stewart.

Jim

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Hey there, stinky knuckle dragger! You hoping for a few bars of soap this Christmas? And some (Eintracht) Frankfurt(ers)?
    😂😂😂

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    
    You are laughing at the wrong support. Embarrassing

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-10503409.html

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    To be fair Rangers had a very tough group and don't honestly think we would have done anything in amongst those teams.
    We should have done a good bit better in our group.
    Good post,
    Rangers and Celtic played the finalists of last years champions league, one got beat 9-1 the other got beat 8-1.
    For me the question is, why does the money that The SPFL gets from Sky sports not match proportionally what The percentage of the population is. Scottish people are paying, doesn’t matter what team you support to make EPL teams richer. If thats okay with you, fair enough, if not, cancel sky sports, watch it online for free!
    Rangers have tried repeatedly to force the League to look at new formats for tv rights and nobody is interested. We have just signed a turd of a contract of 30 million a season,(for perspective that is 3 EPL games) that the SPFL are continually polishing to keep a useless Doncaster in a job.
    Celtic and Motherwell not won a game in Europe this year.
    Rangers, worst team in the champions league.
    Celtic last season, the first team to be put out of 3 European competitions in the same season.
    Embarrassing stuff.
    These skelpings are going to continue until we get an SPFL board that values the product they have to sell, not hawk it off to the cheapest buyer!

Master
    This is why I watch Scottish rugby(and Edinburgh) amongst other reasons, but can someone explain the oft asked question, why if it is ‘The Champions League’ there are several teams in it from the same league, surely they can’t all be champions? Why not rename it with a more suitable title, it's @ bit like the Americans ‘World baseball’ competition.

Master
    Blog Entries
    You are laughing at the wrong support. Embarrassing

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-10503409.html
    I’m not laughing at any support. They’re both comedic and laughable if push came to shove and are the embarrassing football blight for Scotland. What is it they stand for at their roots again? Laughable and of sensible folk whose personality changes when green white and gold or red white and blue are adorned. Non Scot’s can’t understand it.

Jim

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    why if it is ‘The Champions League’ there are several teams in it from the same league, surely they can’t all be champions? Why not rename it with a more suitable title, it's @ bit like the Americans ‘World baseball’ competition.
    In the good old days when it was The European Cup only the actual league champions competed in it; it was possible to win it by playing relative minnows albeit champions of their own league. There were a maximum of nine matches to win it.

It was often said that the old UEFA Cup was much harder to win as if contained more teams and it took 11 matches to win it. This is now called The Europa League.

Now it is a minimum of 13 matches to win it and could be as much as 17 or 19, although the likelihood of a team playing through as a qualifier and winning it is really low. It’s all about the money and the TV rights.

In the good old days when it was The European Cup only the actual league champions competed in it; it was possible to win it by playing relative minnows albeit champions of their own league. There were a maximum of nine matches to win it.

It was often said that the old UEFA Cup was much harder to win as if contained more teams and it took 11 matches to win it. This is now called The Europa League.

Now it is a minimum of 13 matches to win it and could be as much as 17 or 19, although the likelihood of a team playing through as a qualifier and winning it is really low. It’s all about the money and the TV rights.

Participants were the actual champions plus the defending cup winner. Real Madrid, Inter Milan, Ajax Amsterdam, Nottingham Forest and Bayern Munich won the cup despite not being national champions.

Also, the winner in the old cup needed to win all their matches, while one can lose one or two matches in the CL and still go on to win the cup.

Master
    Participants were the actual champions plus the defending cup winner. Real Madrid, Inter Milan, Ajax Amsterdam, Nottingham Forest and Bayern Munich won the cup despite not being national champions.

Also, the winner in the old cup needed to win all their matches, while one can lose one or two matches in the CL and still go on to win the cup.
    I’d forgotten about the holders being included

You had to win the ties over two legs. So you could lose a couple of matches and still progress on the aggregate score.

Liverpool beating Bayern with a 0-0 draw at Anfield and a 1-1 draw in Munich on the away goals counting double rule in the 1981 semi final for example.

Point being that in the old cup you played less matches and I should have said fewer opponents. Typically four before reaching the final.

Master

As Raffe has said it is probably easier for teams from the big leagues in Europe to win it now as they only need to finish top 4 to qualify whereas before you needed to win your national league to win it.
    eg. Spurs within a whisker of winning it whilst being nowhere near good enough to win their national title.

As Raffe has said it is probably easier for teams from the big leagues in Europe to win it now as they only need to finish top 4 to qualify whereas before you needed to win your national league to win it.
    eg. Spurs within a whisker of winning it whilst being nowhere near good enough to win their national title.
    Champions League has been pretty much dominated by Spain, England, Germany and Italy?

European Cup was won by Celtic, Red Star Belgrade, Steaua Bucharest. Can’t see that happening again. The two-leg knockout format was pretty exciting. Ear to the transistor, echoey commentary from distant lands, losing away to Gornik Zabrze, white-knuckle fight back in Madrid to squeeze through to the final.

God, am I sick of hearing the Champions League anthem. And Celeste You’ll Never Stop This Flame for that matter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ajax and PSV as well - I think the Eredivisie is the only 'non-rich' league that has come close to winning recently (Ajax getting knocked out by Lucas Moura's last-gasp hat trick goal)

City and Spurs will be happy with their last 16 opponents, slightly tougher for Chelsea and a nightmare for Liverpool. Bayern vs PSG the tie of the round I'd say

Master
    I’m personally happy with the Liverpool draw, we raise our game against better opposition and we are due to give Real a beating.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Bayern vs PSG the tie of the round I'd say
    A boy can hope...

Master
    A boy can hope...
    Surely a tough choice who you support in that Raffe
    Your natural dislike for Bayern or hatred of the wretched Arab monied clubs.

Surely a tough choice who you support in that Raffe
    Your natural dislike for Bayern or hatred of the wretched Arab monied clubs.
    I am not supporting any of the two, but I am rooting even less for Bayern if that answers your question.

My ranking:
    1. Bayern
    2. PSG/ManCity/Newcastle
    3. Leipzig/Wolfsburg

Master
    Entertaining match tonight vs Dortmund. On a slightly luckier day (with better finishing) we come home with a three goal cushion and Felix has a match ball for a souvenir.

Doubt we will turn it around in the second leg. Last time we scored twice at home was vs Bournemouth day after Boxing Day and before that was pre World Cup. So it’s not looking likely.

Mid table obscurity beckons with no European football. We might be in with a shout for the Premier League next season like Arsenal….no wait, hang on a minute

Blog Entries
    Started to support and watch CFC when Dave Sexton was our manager so have rode out a few years of ups and downs pre RA after which it was a great ride. Looking at our present situation i see what seems a scatter gun recruitment with a manager in whom i have no confidence to take us forward i think the guy is out of his depth.
    Pride of London? yeah right sitting below never mind Spurs and Arsenal but Fulham and Brentford.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    Likewise Mart. My first game saw a Tommy Baldwin hatrick vs Leicester. Plenty of ups and downs on the Fulham Road Rollercoaster since then. All we can do is just say “typical Chelsea”

Master
    Great start, like the old Liverpool.

Liverpool are outstanding at the moment.

Master
    That was defending like the Liverpool of this season.

Blog Entries
    Enjoying this on Dutch TV.

I am just exhausted watching this one. Great game.

Not an evening for goalkeepers. Liverpool have thrown this away - defensively very weak.
    Last edited by ryanb741; 21st February 2023 at 21:51.

Master
    Not an evening for goalkeepers. Liverpool have thrown this away - defensively very weak.
    Disagree, I think we are still very much in this.

Fantastic game. My BIL is there and just messaged me saying he can’t believe Liverpool are level.

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    Disagree, I think we are still very much in this.

Sure. Your strong defence will see you through....

Whoops

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Sure. Your strong defence will see you through....
    Guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Liverpool are outstanding at the moment.
    Wow. How things change in an hour!

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Great game for the neutral, but a night to forget for Joe Gomez

z

A Madrid masterclass tonight from 30 minutes on. A team full of players that know how to play with bravery, always positive, never panicked. Pure class.

And bizarrely a very different Madrid to last season. Humiliation for the reds tonight.

Can't imagine they have let 5 in at Anfield very often if ever. Quite difficult to comprehend

Men against boys.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Strong start (could of been 3 or 4) ending in a total battering.

Never understood the signing of Gakpo when Gomez and co at the back have been horrific all season

Master
    Blog Entries
    Awful at the back, midfield not much better. Nunez is a starting to look good though.

CL this season between Bayern, Real, Napoli and Man City. IMHO of course.

Of the English teams I'd fancy Spurs to do the job against Milan, City obviously vs Leipzig but Chelsea and Liverpool to go out

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Awful at the back, midfield not much better. Nunez is a starting to look good though.
    Wouldn't of made a difference but he prob deserved a pen for that shove

City really are predictable at times.

This round has been a wake up call for the standard of English clubs. We talk about having the 'best league in the world' yet our club sides don't seem to be the best in Europe

6 finalists in the last 5 finals suggests otherwise over the recent past.

The other 4 were 2 from Spain (RMx2), France and Germany

So fairly dominant

May not continue of course