I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    Lets hope you’re bored out of your brains Oct 16
    Ha ha ha! Highly probable.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Currently in a Pizzeria in Milan watching Chelsea vs Milan
    Would have preferred a photo of after the game.

I know they lost 5-0 but the Copenhagen keeper made some quality saves

Master

UEFA Champions League 2022/23

Fine 3-0 win puts us back on track. Minimum of a point next week in the San Siro required. Based on last night’s performance we should come away with all three.

Quality away support too from Milan I thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BSB View Post
    Would have preferred a photo of after the game.
    It packed out after this and I wisely left at half time!

Blog Entries
    It packed out after this and I wisely left at half time!
    You probably did the right thing although you missed the best half of the game.

Master
    Salah benched (rested), long overdue if you ask me, irrespective of result in the game.
    Last edited by tango; 12th October 2022 at 19:07.

Embarrassing for Rangers losing 5-1 at home to Liverpool with 12 mins left.

Edit 6-1 now to a mid-table Premier League side. Van Bronckhorst under pressure for his job now?
    Last edited by ryanb741; 12th October 2022 at 21:41.

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    Salah benched (rested), long overdue if you ask me, irrespective of result in the game.
    A subs hat trick in 6:12 mins ain’t bad.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    A subs hat trick in 6:12 mins ain’t bad.
    Very true, reason enough to bench him more often perhaps?

Craftsman
    Embarrassing for Rangers losing 5-1 at home to Liverpool with 12 mins left.

Edit 6-1 now to a mid-table Premier League side. Van Bronckhorst under pressure for his job now?
    Losing Goldson in the first half turned the game. Would probably have still been a gubbing even if he stayed on though.
    Sky money has made the gulf to great now, Liverpool brought on a player that gets paid more per week than the whole Rangers team combined

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post
    Losing Goldson in the first half turned the game. Would probably have still been a gubbing even if he stayed on though.
    Sky money has made the gulf to great now, Liverpool brought on a player that gets paid more per week than the whole Rangers team combined
    TBH plenty of teams in CL on modest finances who wouldn't have lost 7-1. Rangers looked like they threw in the towel in the 2nd half.

Some hugely entertaining games tonight. Spurs should have been home and hosed but made the final few minutes twitchy bum time.

Master
    Still remarkable how many teams are not mathematically qualified after four games.

Some big hitters likely to be in the Europa League come February. Quite possibly Ajax, Atletico, Barca and Sevilla. Juventus could finish bottom of their group.

Hopefully we’re back on track after taking six points off of Milan. Thought Tomori’s red card was harsh btw. An away win in Salzburg will make the final game almost academic.

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    Still remarkable how many teams are not mathematically qualified after four games.

Some big hitters likely to be in the Europa League come February. Quite possibly Ajax, Atletico, Barca and Sevilla. Juventus could finish bottom of their group.

Hopefully we’re back on track after taking six points off of Milan. Thought Tomori’s red card was harsh btw. An away win in Salzburg will make the final game almost academic.

I was in Milan the last few days and I have to say the Chelsea fans were an utter disgrace on the Metro after the match last night. Smoking on the trains, pissing on the platforms (I witnessed this first hand as I was on the way back from a work party to my hotel) and some social media posts about racial abuse. I know not all Chelsea fans are like that but they do seem to have a fair few more vs other clubs. It was humiliating to be a Londoner and witness that. You'd rarely see Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham fans etc behave like that after an away game. Are the club vetting who they give tickets to properly?

Master
    I was in Milan the last few days and I have to say the Chelsea fans were an utter disgrace on the Metro after the match last night. Smoking on the trains, pissing on the platforms (I witnessed this first hand as I was on the way back from a work party to my hotel) and some social media posts about racial abuse. I know not all Chelsea fans are like that but they do seem to have a fair few more vs other clubs. It was humiliating to be a Londoner and witness that. You'd rarely see Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham fans etc behave like that after an away game. Are the club vetting who they give tickets to properly?
    All teams have absolute brain deads that follow them.
    Clubs have very little control over who travels.
    Easier for them to control fans in their own ground.
    Bams will be bams.

Master
    As Hood has already stated all clubs have a number of brain deads that follow them. I’m not going to defend it. If you witnessed it then it has to be true. Was it straight after the end of the match?

At Chelsea since the incident on the Paris metro in 2016 (if memory serves well) all European away tickets are only issued in the location of the game. The supporter completes a declaration form of where he will be staying, method of travel, dates etc. You then collect your ticket with ID, ST or Membership info and declaration form from a designated collection point. So the club knows who each ticket went to. There is no control over what happens to the ticket once it’s been collected.

It’s possible that fans without tickets travel for a night on the lash and soak up the pre match atmosphere. Quite why is beyond me

Master
    As Hood has already stated all clubs have a number of brain deads that follow them. I’m not going to defend it. If you witnessed it then it has to be true. Was it straight after the end of the match?

At Chelsea since the incident on the Paris metro in 2016 (if memory serves well) all European away tickets are only issued in the location of the game. The supporter completes a declaration form of where he will be staying, method of travel, dates etc. You then collect your ticket with ID, ST or Membership info and declaration form from a designated collection point. So the club knows who each ticket went to. There is no control over what happens to the ticket once it’s been collected.

It’s possible that fans without tickets travel for a night on the lash and soak up the pre match atmosphere. Quite why is beyond me

That’s the same set up with Liverpool fans. You get emailed a location on the euro aways the morning of the game and you have to go down with your passport and collect the tickets off club officials.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    That’s the same set up with Liverpool fans. You get emailed a location on the euro aways the morning of the game and you have to go down with your passport and collect the tickets off club officials.

Think it’s the same for all British teams. Goodison ticket office was the pick up point when Rangers played at Anfield

Losing Goldson in the first half turned the game...
    Nope.

Would probably have still been a gubbing even if he stayed on though...
    Yup.

This 'Fortress Ibrox' thing is beginning to work against TRFC. It took Napoli 45 minutes to ride it out & then pull away. What did LFC do? The exact same! What do you think Ajax will attempt to do on Matchday 6?

Even the officials gave TRFC a break: one minute added time in a second-half where there were 6 occasions subs came on, there were 6 goals, a couple of injuries & two VAR delays.
    Last edited by jwg663; 13th October 2022 at 11:27.
    ______

​Jim.

Think it’s the same for all British teams. Goodison ticket office was the pick up point when Rangers played at Anfield
    Not for us.
    They piloted it a few years back but it’s not been like that for a good while .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Not for us.
    They piloted it a few years back but it’s not been like that for a good while .
    What? They post European away tickets to your home address? How quaint

Bit risky with all the postal strikes.

Pep drops them round on his way to Bingo on Thursday evenings .

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Nope.

Yup.

This 'Fortress Ibrox' thing is beginning to work against TRFC. It took Napoli 45 minutes to ride it out & then pull away. What did LFC do? The exact same! What do you think Ajax will attempt to do on Matchday 6?

Even the officials gave TRFC a break: one minute added time in a second-half where there were 6 occasions subs came on, there were 6 goals, a couple of injuries & two VAR delays.
    Napoli didn’t score until the 68th minute and that was after the Rangers centre half got sent off in the 55th minute, they then scored 2 more in the final minutes of the game.
    Any team that comes out of pot 4 that gets a player sent off will always struggle in the champions league.
    I personally thought that was a good result playing with 10 men against a team that had put 4 past Liverpool and then 10 past Ajax

Master
    Blog Entries
    Coming from a Scotsman this hurts.

Scottish football now has the evidence to show that even our big clubs can’t cut it at a moderate euro level. At home we ooohhhh and aaaahhhh at the weekly league games, have done for many years, but our football standard is no better than sh1te. No real investment, no star attraction and non competitions.

Oh I’m sure the Tic and Gers fans will suck their thumbs and twiddle their ears but be honest, is gaining the bragging rites for a sectarian loaded derby win anything compared to EU success? I’m sure many will say it is, but the reality is we’re getting laughed off the park at every single turn. It’s beyond embarrassing.

Nice football to win a league game is nothing the same as getting our arses kicked like the 20 or so games we’ve seen thus far in euro games. Our pundits love to add to the ooohhh and aaaahhhs and make it sound we play good football, but they’ve had their day in the mediocrity. Why do you think a Souness, Dalglish or once top class players do not commentate on our games? Cos it’s crap!

What’s the fix? I’ve no idea but something needs done.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post

Scottish football now has the evidence to show that even our big clubs can’t cut it at a moderate euro level. At home we ooohhhh and aaaahhhh at the weekly league games, have done for many years, but our football standard is no better than sh1te. No real investment, no star attraction and non competitions.

Oh I’m sure the Tic and Gers fans will suck their thumbs and twiddle their ears but be honest, is gaining the bragging rites for a sectarian loaded derby win anything compared to EU success? I’m sure many will say it is, but the reality is we’re getting laughed off the park at every single turn. It’s beyond embarrassing.

Nice football to win a league game is nothing the same as getting our arses kicked like the 20 or so games we’ve seen thus far in euro games. Our pundits love to add to the ooohhh and aaaahhhs and make it sound we play good football, but they’ve had their day in the mediocrity. Why do you think a Souness, Dalglish or once top class players do not commentate on our games? Cos it’s crap!

Jim
    I'm not sure it's as bad as that. Only last year Rangers got to the Europa League final and knocked out Dortmund and Leipzig on the way. Champions League is a step up but look at Rangers' group and the sides in there.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure it's as bad as that. Only last year Rangers got to the Europa League final and knocked out Dortmund and Leipzig on the way. Champions League is a step up but look at Rangers' group and the sides in there.
    I’d like to say it’s not Ryan but I’m afraid it is.

Rangers did really well to get to the final and got the benefit from opposition costly mistakes and rode their luck. Vital parts of success. That ‘success’ was a one off.

So, this season, for me, has shown the real level of football in Scotland. Don’t forget not that long ago there was chatter about the Old Firm feeling they could hold their own in the English Premiership. Maybe then it was a whimsical notion, when the EPL was not as money laden to buy the success it’s now enjoying. Right now the top Scottish clubs would toil against non league English sides!

Top players follow the money and right now that’s England. But Scotland doesn’t have that luxury. Indeed, I believe the TOTAL (YES TOTAL) prize money for ALL Scotland’s Premier League clubs is considerably less than what the relegated clubs from the EPL ‘win’ to keep themselves afloat. Very telling.

Jim

I’d like to say it’s not Ryan but I’m afraid it is.

Rangers did really well to get to the final and got the benefit from opposition costly mistakes and rode their luck. Vital parts of success. That ‘success’ was a one off.

So, this season, for me, has shown the real level of football in Scotland. Don’t forget not that long ago there was chatter about the Old Firm feeling they could hold their own in the English Premiership. Maybe then it was a whimsical notion, when the EPL was not as money laden to buy the success it’s now enjoying. Right now the top Scottish clubs would toil against non league English sides!

Top players follow the money and right now that’s England. But Scotland doesn’t have that luxury. Indeed, I believe the TOTAL (YES TOTAL) prize money for ALL Scotland’s Premier League clubs is considerably less than what the relegated clubs from the EPL ‘win’ to keep themselves afloat. Very telling.

Jim
    Well money talks but there are teams operating on shoestrings doing OK in Europe as well. Re Old Firm in premier league - assuming they get their Premier League TV money they'd certainly do well as they'd be able to pay for good players and are both big clubs.

I remember Celtic getting battered by Juventus and Barcelona in recent history so it does happen. That being said AFC Bournemouth took a 9-0 thrashing from Liverpool and have remained unbeaten since (and above Liverpool in the table) so there's hope there!

Jim
    Join the English leagues, Scottish football (outside Scotland) does not have any appeal so it wont ever generate much TV revenue. I dont think this will ever happen, but it is the only way I can see Rangers and Celtic getting the money to compete. It would also be a big come down for the fans who are use to winning the league and cups every year, if they joined the English Leagues they wont win anything for a very long time.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    Join the English leagues, Scottish football (outside Scotland) does not have any appeal so it wont ever generate much TV revenue. I dont think this will ever happen, but it is the only way I can see Rangers and Celtic getting the money to compete. It would also be a big come down for the fans who are use to winning the league and cups every year, if they joined the English Leagues they wont win anything for a very long time.
    The benefit would be one way: into England’s football coffers as Ibrox and Celtic Park would be sell outs every week and their travelling support would do the same down there for English stadia.

But let’s not get ahead of ourselves. It’s a highly improbable situation and the status quo will remain for many years and so keeps somewhat bigger money (small money for EPL) NOTB in SPL and allows the football up here to survive.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Well money talks but there are teams operating on shoestrings doing OK in Europe as well. Re Old Firm in premier league - assuming they get their Premier League TV money they'd certainly do well as they'd be able to pay for good players and are both big clubs.

I remember Celtic getting battered by Juventus and Barcelona in recent history so it does happen. That being said AFC Bournemouth took a 9-0 thrashing from Liverpool and have remained unbeaten since (and above Liverpool in the table) so there's hope there!
    That made me smile Ryan. A shoestring club in EU is really hard to find and ‘doing well?’ To be successful in Euro it’s vital to be financially buoyant at high end. The famous Celtic biscuit tin brings back memories from up here.

Not for Spurs. They get posted to the home address. Some clubs e.g. Italian clubs do then check at the entrance the ticket name matches the passport but on the whole they don't. I've attended football games across Europe both with Spurs and independently and it's Italy where the most rigorous checks are.

Master
    Great performance in Salzburg in the early kick off. Qualified, which is all that really counts.

Outstanding performances from Chalobah, Kova and Silva. Don’t know why we keep playing Sterling. Lazy b**tard jogging around for most of the match and more or less anonymous. Saving himself for the World Cup no doubt. Adds nothing to this team right now.

Thought Salzburg played well. Adamu could be good in the EPL.

First time at Signal Iduna Park
    Amazing , absolutely amazing.

As a Spurs fan I think I went through almost every emotion in that match. I now have a horrible feeling about next week’s away fixture at Marseilles.

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    As a Spurs fan I think I went through almost every emotion in that match. I now have a horrible feeling about next week’s away fixture at Marseilles.
    Keep the faith!

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    First time at Signal Iduna Park
    Amazing , absolutely amazing.
    Agreed. The yellow wall is impressive

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Keep the faith!
    Easy to say.
    I really don’t understand Conte’s tactics. Sporting have been well beat in their last two CL away games but yet we made them look like Real Madrid. The first half was turgid - passing back and along the lines and zero movement. We’re supposed to be @ home!!

Tough away game for Spurs in Marseille means they won't be able to rest key players which they would have done had they won and qualified. No idea why they didn't adopt the intensity of the last 20 mins earlier and Dier could have had a hat trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Casper View Post
    Easy to say.
    I really don’t understand Conte’s tactics. Sporting have been well beat in their last two CL away games but yet we made them look like Real Madrid. The first half was turgid - passing back and along the lines and zero movement. We’re supposed to be @ home!!
    Tough away game for Spurs in Marseille means they won't be able to rest key players which they would have done had they won and qualified. No idea why they didn't adopt the intensity of the last 20 mins earlier and Dier could have had a hat trick.
    Can't argue with any of that. I'm beginning to think that Conte is Mourinho in disguise.

Wouldn’t fancy going there needing a result. The atmosphere will be toxic anyway .
    Supposedly a very dangerous place for opposing fans too .

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    As a Spurs fan I think I went through almost every emotion in that match.
    Ditto that! Another shocking first half performance followed by a fight back and last gasp goal - this time not chalked off by VAR.
    I swear the table covered every possible permutation over the evening.

Another game of two halves. My heart can’t take much more this season. COYS!

The Rangers are now officially the worst Champions league team in history.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    The Rangers are now officially the worst Champions league team in history.
    Aye The Rankers haven’t exactly set the heather ablaze. At least the Scottish Champions have picked up a couple of points thus far.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Aye The Rankers haven’t exactly set the heather ablaze. At least the Scottish Champions have picked up a couple of points thus far.
    The only reason you are in the champions league is because of Rangers and their co-efficient, Tramps have not won a knock out game in the champions league for 15 years…Know you place scum!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    To be fair Rangers had a very tough group and don't honestly think we would have done anything in amongst those teams.
    We should have done a good bit better in our group.