closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Trying to sell a number plate on Facebook- frustration!

Trying to sell a number plate on Facebook- frustration!

I have had an Isle of Man cherished number plate on retention for some years with no likelihood of using it any time soon, so I thought I’ll list it on some of the Isle of Man Facebook Marketplace groups.

Ive tried twice now with different pictures and wordings and both times the listing has been refused by Facebook (and refusal confirmed on appeal) for breaching their policy on selling documents and currencies. No idea why as it’s neither and a cursory look throws up a good few plates listed for sale and even one dedicated sale group for them. To save me going around in ever decreasing circles until I disappear up my own fundament can anyone suggest what to do?

Can see where they might be coming from, not a currency or document but what is it?
    It’s the right to display a number plate, not something physical like the actual number plate,

Not withstanding this, if others are selling them…

Master
    I’m on a few groups such as archery and knives on Facebook and find you often have to be creative with titles and descriptions to get it past the Facebook monitoring.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    I have had an Isle of Man cherished number plate on retention for some years with no likelihood of using it any time soon, so I thought I’ll list it on some of the Isle of Man Facebook Marketplace groups.

Ive tried twice now with different pictures and wordings and both times the listing has been refused by Facebook (and refusal confirmed on appeal) for breaching their policy on selling documents and currencies. No idea why as it’s neither and a cursory look throws up a good few plates listed for sale and even one dedicated sale group for them. To save me going around in ever decreasing circles until I disappear up my own fundament can anyone suggest what to do?
    Personally if it is of any value i would not list it on FB, it is only one up from Gumtree. FB seems to be full of scammers and time wasters. Perhaps go to a dealer, try eBay or try on SC.

Out of interest what is the number plate, and can it only be used on the IOM?

Quote Originally Posted by glyn696486 View Post
    Personally if it is of any value i would not list it on FB, it is only one up from Gumtree. FB seems to be full of scammers and time wasters. Perhaps go to a dealer, try eBay or try on SC.

Out of interest what is the number plate, and can it only be used on the IOM?
    Fair comment. Unfortunately an IoM number plate can only be put on a car registered on that island, so really the only sales forums are local Facebook groups. The plate is 949 DMN.

Fair comment. Unfortunately an IoM number plate can only be put on a car registered on that island, so really the only sales forums are local Facebook groups. The plate is 949 DMN.
    ahh that now makes sense. Does seem that FB will be the only route. Are there any plate dealers on the island?

Quote Originally Posted by glyn696486 View Post
    ahh that now makes sense. Does seem that FB will be the only route. Are there any plate dealers on the island?
    Not as far as I’m aware. Some plates are listed at stupid prices) by the Manx government but most change hands privately.

Master
    Could you try to sell the plate? I mean sell a physical, produced piece of plastic with the gubbins of plate transfer 'hidden behind the sale?
    I've not been an ebay user for years but it seems this was the way that people used to get around things.
    Good luck.

Master
    Hi op

Perhaps just copy and paste one of the "allowed" ads and then change it to include your specific details.

Quote Originally Posted by johny View Post
    Hi op

Perhaps just copy and paste one of the "allowed" ads and then change it to include your specific details.
    I tried exactly replicating the wording from an “allowed” ad and guess what?

I’ve now listed it on a Manx classifieds site. Facebook is welcome to autocopulate, with my compliments.

Master
    Facebook is welcome to autocopulate, with my compliments.
    LOL! May I compliment you on an excellent use of the language sir! 😀

Master
    I tried exactly replicating the wording from an “allowed” ad and guess what?

I’ve now listed it on a Manx classifieds site. Facebook is welcome to autocopulate, with my compliments.
    LOL. It was worth a try.

Saw that on Manxnet and wondered if you. They are a tough sell and although not issued if you had DMN959 might have more appeal as a pair.

Craftsman
    I recently used National Numbers successfully as a seller.

Pleasant helpful people and honest brokers business wise.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf View Post
    I recently used National Numbers successfully as a seller.

Pleasant helpful people and honest brokers business wise.
    If it were a UK registration I’d have gone to one of those firms. I’ve had similarly good experience with Bold Registrations. It’s a very different and comparatively tiny local market for Manx registrations.