closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Grandchildren learn about my past

Craftsman

Grandchildren learn about my past

Trying to teach my grandchildren the proper things to watch and how to play like Grandad used to.
    From showing them The Banana Splits, Hartley Hare and Mr Ben to learning them the art of 'Kerby' and nearest coin to the wall (forgot what it's called)
    They now think I'm old, sad and strange which is probably true!

Marbles and fag cards where two of my favorites plus spinning tops and a long skipping rope in the road, catch, home made bow and arrows (bean sticks), home made trolley, no TV, PC, mobile, happy days :)

Master
    My kids are 6 and 10 and love the old games- a lot of the kids on the park still play "What time is it Mr Wolf" and other random stuff. Its great to see!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    My kids are 6 and 10 and love the old games- a lot of the kids on the park still play "What time is it Mr Wolf" and other random stuff. Its great to see!
    Nice to hear children are still playing old games, forgot all about 'Mr Wolf'

Master
    Blog Entries
    We are bringing up our wee 7 year old granddaughter who lives with us 24:7/365 and so games of Kerbie, hop scotch, etc etc etc including PENNY TOSS and fishing gut attached to purses to pull away from lifters are regular daily games.

It keep us young. Although my body doesn’t think so.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xpatx View Post
    Nice to hear children are still playing old games, forgot all about 'Mr Wolf'
    😞

Master
    Blog Entries
    We got my nephew into Roland Rat … I wonder what his mates at school make of his impressions …

Craftsman
    the art of 'Kerby' and nearest coin to the wall (forgot what it's called)
    We called it "pigeon toss" no idea why. Some people think it is a bastardisation of pitch and toss.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    😞
    Obviously not THE Mr Wolf 😂

Blog Entries
    Obviously not THE Mr Wolf 😂
    😃

Grandchildren learn about my past

Reminiscing about old-time games, does anybody remember this lifelike exhilarating cricket game?

Loved it. Owzthat in summer, Subbuteo in winter when not raining. Always Lancashire: Lloyd (x2), Wood, Bond, Engineer, Hughes, Simmons, Statham, Lever and some other blokes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wotsthecrack View Post
    We called it "pigeon toss" no idea why. Some people think it is a bastardisation of pitch and toss.
    Pitch and toss??

Trying to teach my grandchildren the proper things to watch and how to play like Grandad used to.
    From showing them The Banana Splits, Hartley Hare and Mr Ben to learning them the art of 'Kerby' and nearest coin to the wall (forgot what it's called)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Pitch and toss??

"Pigeon Toss
    , or in Britain Pap, Penny Up, Keeley (Scotland), "Nippy (Wales)", Chucks, Quarters, “Tinks” or "Jingies" is a game played with coins. Players take turns to throw a coin at a wall, from some distance away, and the coin which lands closest to the wall is the winner.

The history of the game is ancient, and it is known to have been played by Ancient Greek children using bronze coins. In modern Israel the game is also played with Apricot kernels, and is called "Gogoim". "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitching_pennies

Does that make you a child of the 70's?
    If so you will remember how to add beer mats to bicycle forks for a motorcycle engine noise.
    You'll also remember throwing arrows, might not be good to teach the grandkids about those.

Craftsman
    No I'm a 60's child but yes do remember the beer mat trick, used to think you were so cool!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    Does that make you a child of the 70's?
    If so you will remember how to add beer mats to bicycle forks for a motorcycle engine noise.
    You'll also remember throwing arrows, might not be good to teach the grandkids about those.
    I showed my kids how to make "dutch arrows" and gave them a demo of how far they could go, then told them in no uncertain terms not to use them on the school field. Farmers field only when no one around.

I showed my kids how to make "dutch arrows" and gave them a demo of how far they could go, then told them in no uncertain terms not to use them on the school field. Farmers field only when no one around.
    Dutch arrows, that was what they were called. Thank you! Simultaneously awesome and lethal.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post

"Pigeon Toss
    , or in Britain Pap, Penny Up, Keeley (Scotland), "Nippy (Wales)", Chucks, Quarters, “Tinks” or "Jingies" is a game played with coins. Players take turns to throw a coin at a wall, from some distance away, and the coin which lands closest to the wall is the winner.

The history of the game is ancient, and it is known to have been played by Ancient Greek children using bronze coins. In modern Israel the game is also played with Apricot kernels, and is called "Gogoim". "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitching_pennies
    Well I never! Everyday is a skool day. Ta muchly HT 👍👍👍

Jim

Master
    Blog Entries
    Dutch arrows, that was what they were called. Thank you! Simultaneously awesome and lethal.
    What is this? Can you explain please?

Jim

I couldn't believe it when my 11 year old came back from a sleepover and said she and her mate had been playing the card game, Shithead. I was playing that in my teens.

I agree with the sentiments about good old fashioned outdoor games and TV shows. I used to spend hours playing kerby or 3 and in.

Our two did use to laugh like drains at Rosie and Jim. We bought them on VHS tape from a charity shop and still had the video in the loft so we've amassed a collection of old kids TV vids like Scooby Do, Magic Roundabout and The Wombles. It's weird watching them all at 4:2 on a modern telly.

It's too easy these days for kids to get lost for hours and hours in Tik Tok, You Tube and Playstation. We really limit their time on devices to stop them becoming gormless. I think it's working

Master
    Blog Entries
    We are up in Wales where we have a week every year, my daughters along with my cousin her daughter’s and six grandchildren in total. We have been coming here for 50 years it’s fantastic to see the kids with the other kids playing hide and seek, and the whole lot of them walking to the beach and generally having a great time without iPads etc. They are doing exactly what we were doing all those years ago. None of the dads come, just grandparents and daughters, it’s bliss

Craftsman

Jim
    It's a handmade arrow, we used to make them out of a bamboo cane, fashion some fletching/fins and a nail taped to the pointy end. The way to throw them is with a sling shot type action with a knotted piece of rope around the shaft close to the fins and thrown from the point end using the string/rope as a lever to gain maximum power/distance. Loads of videos now on youtube.

Master
    My 13 y/o lad is fairly typical, spends time on his PS4 and computer, but also enjoys board and card games (Monopoly and Cluedo are his faves). I have also been introducing him to proper comedy (to me anyway), such as Blackadder, Bottom and most recently the original Harry Enfield TV programme. He laughs like a drain, and so do I.

Jim
    I had to look it up myself despite a boyhood featuring home made catapults and bows and arrows of the conventional type...

https://www.instructables.com/How-to...lly-stabilize/

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’d forgotten those, great fun. Might do that with my nephew as we have him on Thursday.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's a handmade arrow, we used to make them out of a bamboo cane, fashion some fletching/fins and a nail taped to the pointy end. The way to throw them is with a sling shot type action with a knotted piece of rope around the shaft close to the fins and thrown from the point end using the string/rope as a lever to gain maximum power/distance. Loads of videos now on youtube.
    Thank you.

Jim

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    I had to look it up myself despite a boyhood featuring home made catapults and bows and arrows of the conventional type...

https://www.instructables.com/How-to...lly-stabilize/
    Thanks P

J