closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Controversy alert!

Controversy alert!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    There’s also the issue of bezel insert damage; replace a Rolex bezel insert and it’ll cost you under £50, do the same with the 2254 and it’s £1500 plus because the insert isn’t available separately.

Personally, I’m generally wearing a Seiko these days; the timekeeping isn’t quite but it was about 10% of the RRP of a submariner.
    That is the issue that has stopped me buying a 2531.80. My 16610 had a replacement insert at service, and it was in he region of £50.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by helidoc; 20th August 2022 at 00:46.

People keep mentioning the fussy bracelet on the 2254 but one of the best things about it is it came with the speedie bracelet, rather than the standard (bond) SMP one.

As has been said before, if omega wanted to bring back a rework of the 2254, and even charge a bit more for it, I’m sure it would sell well but the things that make it unattractive to some are the things that make it an SMP: Helium escape wart, scalloped bezel, oversize numerals on the insert, fussy untapered bracelet etc. I agree the watch would do well without them but it’s never going to happen.

One might as well say they would like a datejust without a cyclops or an explorer 1 with Roman numerals.

The 2254 is a lovely watch, but it suffers from Omega's silly response to the need for an HEV (which, though it might be a relief to some, constitutes a release valve). That in itself makes most alternatives more attractive (IMO, of course).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
    ….The Omega is a bigger watch, despite them both being 40mm …have your say!
    The Omega 2254.50 was not 40mm it was 41mm.

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Opinions aren't really controversial, unless those finding offence haven't been outside and touched grass in the past few days.

IMO, the Rolex wins over the Omega.

No lyre lugs
    grippable bezel
    lighter and more comfortable bracelet
    no polished "accents" on the bracelet
    No wart
    not really a fan of the single sweeping curve of the crown guards on the omega.

Ive never had a SMP. Its something I keep thinking I should try, and will at some point, but its just not something id spend highly on, largely because every time ive tried on one, the fussy bracelet and beefy clasp has instantly got on my nerves, although I admit this is the 5 link one rather than the 3 link speedy style one.
    What - like the one on the left (SMP 300) ?

Makes a fine alternative and fits your criteria?

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 20th August 2022 at 11:56.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by BEZELBOY View Post
    Rotaty outer roundy thing:

It's called a Bezel.

Regards

Andy
    Does that make someone who sells them an 'embezzler'?

Quote Originally Posted by Samlack99 View Post
    Personally...

...I think this is better than both =)

Wish I'd never sold mine.
    I detest the arrows. With the old sword hands, which I like over any others, no contest!

I love my 2254, the case is a modern masterpiece (apart from the HEV) but let’s be honest the bezel looks like clown numbers compared to more refined watches.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post

Love the SM300 and I often call it Sub killer. I am not sure which one would I choose if I had to have only one of them.

I love this version of the SM300, it’s one of the prettiest watches ever made IMO. The build quality is top notch, the bracelet and on the fly adjustment is up there with the best and it has an interesting movement that is actually nice to look at. The recent tweaked version does not have the same appeal though and I think that is Omegas problem, they chop and change models far to frequently. I chose one over a submariner, I think it’s the more complete package.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 21st August 2022 at 09:09.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm not saying that this part of the Omega/Rolex argument has been going on for a while but here's something else I posted a while back over at WUS:

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/h...-to-me.120936/

I've never found a more comfortable, adaptable bracelet:

Last edited by M4tt; 21st August 2022 at 09:27.

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    I'm not saying that this part of the Omega/Rolex argument has been going on for a while but here's something else I posted a while back over at WUS:

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/h...-to-me.120936/

I've never found a more comfortable, adaptable bracelet:

Nikon versus Canon.... .177 versus .22...... Jaguar versus BMW.... etc, etc.... it is called conversation.

PS I have no idea what the watch in your picture is because the water droplets obscure it, it looks like a cheap TAG 6000 that I had for a while.

PS I have no idea what the watch in your picture is because the water droplets obscure it, it looks like a cheap TAG 6000 that I had for a while.
    JLC is easy to read. Cheap Tag indeed!
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Nikon versus Canon.... .177 versus .22...... Jaguar versus BMW.... etc, etc.... it is called conversation.

Oh? I thought you were fully aware that you were one gulp of cool aid away from trolling when you started this thread with the words:

I know this is going to ruffle a few feathers, it is just my take on things.

...Opinions...

Ruffled feather types, have your say!
    I even tried to help by going full Omega fan boy for you, but Rajen wasn't biting - which is a pity as I have what is effectively a self imposed drinking game based on Rajen and Rolex. If he rides in to the defence of Rolex I have to buy something tiny, old, ugly and small off ebay and argue that it is better value for money than a Rolex. It appears to amuse us both.

However, ultimately it's a daft thing to argue about, mostly because everything has been said several hundred times.
    Last edited by M4tt; 21st August 2022 at 14:13.

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    Oh? I thought you were fully aware that you were one gulp of cool aid away from trolling when you started this thread with the words:

I even tried to help by going full Omega fan boy for you, but Rajen wasn't biting - which is a pity as I have what is effectively a self imposed drinking game based on Rajen and Rolex. If he rides in to the defence of Rolex I have to buy something tiny, old, ugly and small off ebay and argue that it is better value for money than a Rolex. It appears to amuse us both.

However, ultimately it's a daft thing to argue about, mostly because everything has been said several hundred times.
    I am not a 'watch collector'. I have a couple of nice watches and I like a nice watch, but I am quite conservative in what I like. I have read a fair bit of what goes on about watches, on this forum, which I was pointed to from my shooting forum I think it was. The defence of Rolex is obvious for all to see, that is why I thought anything that didn't exhalt the submariner above all else would lead to disgruntlement. Your write up on the bracelet links I found quite interesting, never having seen a link in pieces before. I have never sen the inside of a watch either, my watchmaker does all that, I wouldn't have a clue how to change the size on any of mine, unless they have a push in pin and I can weedle it from one hole to the next each side using a paper clip opened up. I enjoy my Omega, I wear the Rolex occassionally, on Thursday even, but each time I wonder why they have such an aura that surrounds them. The constant increase in value is welcome, but I can't understand it. I do have the Story of Rolex book, which I was given. I learned a great deal, I had no idea Rolex started in Britain, for instance, until a couple of weeks ago. So whatever I write is from a position of ignorance as far as watches are concerned. I liked my Tag 6000, but it was getting very worn and I sold it before it cost me a packet to get it repaired. There are many watches I see on this place that I have never heard of and have to go and look up. If things have been said several hundred times, we ought to shut the forum down then, as nothing is worth saying.....

The new model SM300 heritage is a vast improvement on the version in these photos IMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Love the SM300 and I often call it Sub killer. I am not sure which one would I choose if I had to have only one of them.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I am not a 'watch collector'. I have a couple of nice watches and I like a nice watch, but I am quite conservative in what I like. I have read a fair bit of what goes on about watches, on this forum, which I was pointed to from my shooting forum I think it was. The defence of Rolex is obvious for all to see, that is why I thought anything that didn't exhalt the submariner above all else would lead to disgruntlement. Your write up on the bracelet links I found quite interesting, never having seen a link in pieces before. I have never sen the inside of a watch either, my watchmaker does all that, I wouldn't have a clue how to change the size on any of mine, unless they have a push in pin and I can weedle it from one hole to the next each side using a paper clip opened up. I enjoy my Omega, I wear the Rolex occassionally, on Thursday even, but each time I wonder why they have such an aura that surrounds them. The constant increase in value is welcome, but I can't understand it. I do have the Story of Rolex book, which I was given. I learned a great deal, I had no idea Rolex started in Britain, for instance, until a couple of weeks ago. So whatever I write is from a position of ignorance as far as watches are concerned. I liked my Tag 6000, but it was getting very worn and I sold it before it cost me a packet to get it repaired. There are many watches I see on this place that I have never heard of and have to go and look up. If things have been said several hundred times, we ought to shut the forum down then, as nothing is worth saying.....
    I don't know if we need to shut the forum down just because The Rolex Argument is a little stale. I'm told Eddie makes new watches every other Sunday that we can argue about. Either way, if it really was just an innocent question I apologise for engaging.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I love my 2254, the case is a modern masterpiece (apart from the HEV) but let’s be honest the bezel looks like clown numbers compared to more refined watches.
    Agree, really irritated me those massive numbers. When I had my 2254, I’d flirted with the idea of replacing the bezel with one from the first iteration of the black Bond model but never got round to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I love this version of the SM300, it’s one of the prettiest watches ever made IMO. The build quality is top notch, the bracelet and on the fly adjustment is up there with the best and it has an interesting movement that is actually nice to look at. The recent tweaked version does not have the same appeal though and I think that is Omegas problem, they chop and change models far to frequently. I chose one over a submariner, I think it’s the more complete package.
    Excusing my ignorance, what version of the SM300 is that?

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    Excusing my ignorance, what version of the SM300 is that?

It’s the Seamaster Master Co-Axial Chronometer https://www.ablogtowatch.com/omega-s...l-watch-hands/
    Yep trips of the tongue doesn’t it?
    Great watch, cr@p name.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 21st August 2022 at 19:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    It’s the Seamaster Master Co-Axial Chronometer https://www.ablogtowatch.com/omega-s...l-watch-hands/
    Yep trips of the tongue doesn’t it?
    Great watch, cr@p name.
    Thanks for the link, that's a good article.

Quite a few on Chronos24 for around the £4.5K mark so with some room for haggling that would make it an attractive proposition.

I don’t agree the 2254 is “under the radar”. It’s always seemed a forum favourite to me.

I’m on my second seamaster, and also have a sub in the box, and to me at least they are two very different watches. It’s probably just very personal, these things are partly about how they make you feel.

I wear the seamaster out on the boat almost exclusively. To many people it’s an eye-wateringly expensive way to tell the time so it’s all relative isn’t it? Incidentally I’m often on the water with a friend who wears a gold day date 24/7. I wear the sub for travelling in the uk, and the seamaster for travelling abroad.

Two different watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    JLC is easy to read. Cheap Tag indeed!
    I had to google JLC. I have never heard of them before and I couldn't find a diver watch on the website I was looking at - but I am not very clever with websites so it was probably somewhere else than where I looked.

I had to google JLC. I have never heard of them before and I couldn't find a diver watch on the website I was looking at - but I am not very clever with websites so it was probably somewhere else than where I looked.
    You were able to hunt out and join a watch forum but had never heard of JLC?

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    There’s an overwhelming odour of Troll around this whole thread. “My watchmaker does that for me…”. Etc

No, I was pointed to it by a frend who thought I might find it interesting, which I have up to a point, but I am not a 'watch nerd' and I don't intend to buy and sell them either. I have a watch for work, a 'nice watch' and the sub mariner as an heirloom that comes out on special occassions.

It all started when someone posted a link to a video about a Vietnam vet who had his Tudor restored and gave it to his son. The CEO of Tudor flew over to America to hand back the repaired watch. That started me off, it was only last year. I hadn't really thought about watches much until then. I inherited my Dad's Seamaster (no idea what model, late 50s / early 60s at a guess) and his Eternamatic 3000 that was his retirement watch. I gave them both to my brother who had started to collect watches back then. So I am a passive watch person that doesn't have much clue about tech either.

Quote Originally Posted by Linocut View Post
    There’s an overwhelming odour of Troll around this whole thread. “My watchmaker does that for me…”. Etc

There is a watch shop in town - Charles Martin & Co. If I need anything doing, like putting a battery in my old Tissot, I take it to them. Likewise to adjsut the bracelet size, because my wrist has got much smaller recently. What's wrong with that? I would never attept to do it myself.

No, I was pointed to it by a frend who thought I might find it interesting, which I have up to a point
    Who's your friend?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    The new model SM300 heritage is a vast improvement on the version in these photos IMHO
    That is indeed true but I do like them all:-)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

I had a spectre one for approximately 2 minutes. Did not do it for me in the metal at ALL.

ti NTTD I like tho.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    There’s also the issue of bezel insert damage; replace a Rolex bezel insert and it’ll cost you under £50, do the same with the 2254 and it’s £1500 plus because the insert isn’t available separately.

Personally, I’m generally wearing a Seiko these days; the timekeeping isn’t quite but it was about 10% of the RRP of a submariner.
    My understanding is that cost of a replacement bezel is c. £250 for a Seamaster. I know that mine (blue SMP 300m) was replaced within the cost of service last October as OSC said the original one was marked. I had not noticed and certainly would not have paid additional sum for a replacement.

I wore my Submariner whilst out and about today for the first time in many weeks usually preferring to wear my SMP. I must admit I find the Submariner a little ostentatious these days given it’s perceived value.
    Last edited by JeremyO; 22nd August 2022 at 15:19.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Submariners don’t have a relief valve………………..

(and I can’t tell if your ‘boil in the bag’ watch has or not)

It’s a pity that the EU have cut the science grants………..
    It certainly does… it’s called a crown. You open that as you would an HEV and hey presto, no busted crystal.

Who's your friend?
    I think it was Redrick, might have been Joe Narvey.

Journeyman
    It's not controversial, I think the 2254 is one of the best damn watches out there and is always my go to for most days, even surpassing my Speedie.

Similarly I find the lugs, the slimness and clarity of the dial of the 2254 to be far better than the sub. But I also hate the Mercedes Rolex hand and have a soft spot for sword hands..so I may be a tad biased. Also, it's less popular or show-y which to me is a big plus

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I think the Seamaster is great.

I think the Sub is great.

The end.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Samlack99 View Post
    Personally...

...I think this is better than both =)

Wish I'd never sold mine.
    Fair point.

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    My understanding is that cost of a replacement bezel is c. £250 for a Seamaster.
    Sounds about right. They were around £300 on Cousins a few years ago before stocks dried up.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Opinions aren't really controversial, unless those finding offence haven't been outside and touched grass in the past few days.

IMO, the Rolex wins over the Omega.

No lyre lugs
    grippable bezel
    lighter and more comfortable bracelet
    no polished "accents" on the bracelet
    No wart
    not really a fan of the single sweeping curve of the crown guards on the omega.

Ive never had a SMP. Its something I keep thinking I should try, and will at some point, but its just not something id spend highly on, largely because every time ive tried on one, the fussy bracelet and beefy clasp has instantly got on my nerves, although I admit this is the 5 link one rather than the 3 link speedy style one.
    You should try the GMT version of the 2254 - same lovely dial and handset and the benefit of no He wart.

The bezel is still terrible but after 15 years ownership I still wear it most days. The rubber strap is good but a bit too "pre-curved" for me.

Controversy alert!

Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    Sounds about right. They were around £300 on Cousins a few years ago before stocks dried up.
    When Paul serviced one for a friend of mine about four or five years ago, Cousins could only supply non original bezels at £150 (or £180, my memory fails me somewhat).

I do like the Seamster but probably wouldn’t buy one.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 25th August 2022 at 17:06.

Grand Master
    Cousins supply after- market bezel inserts for the pre- ceramic SMP, I tried one a few years back and was disappointed with the quality. The insert fitted nicely but the finish was inferior to the original. The original us some sort of anodised finish but the aftermarket one was printed and I got the impression it would flake if scratched. Cost was under £20. Possibly the latest versions are better, I haven’t tried one.

Prior to 2015 a new bezel was around £180 from Cousins, I’ve fitted several.

Much as I like the pre- ceramic SMP watches I agree with the comments regarding the He valve, spoils the aesthetics of the case. The bezel can easily become stiff to turn if it gets dirt under it, at best it can be difficult to turn when wet.......which is a daft design fault on a dive watch!

2254 on a Bond bracelet was my favourite, I had that combination back in the days when a new Bond bracelet cost around £200 from Cousins..........happy times!