closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Log Burner Fans

Craftsman

Log Burner Fans

Having just booked the chimney sweep, ordered the logs and coal I've been looking at log burner fans.

Does anyone have any experience of them?
    Best fan to choose if it's worth it?

Thanks in advance.
    Pat

I have a heat power fan made by Voda. Only about £25 and yes its works and was worth it.

im sure there are £100+ ones but im happy that i did not bother

Master
    There was thread on here previously.

Personal experience aside from how they work, I’ve found them fairly ineffective unless you have a high void above the fire and want to get the heat out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    I have a £20 fan from Lidl/Aldi and it works a treat, well worth it.
    B

Master
    I had a Stirling engine one, not the cheapest but lovely to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by xpatx View Post
    Having just booked the chimney sweep, ordered the logs and coal I've been looking at log burner fans.

Does anyone have any experience of them?
    Best fan to choose if it's worth it?

Thanks in advance.
    Pat
    You have a Multi fuel burner i hope Paul !
    I tried one and never found it pushed the heat out of the lounge , but others seem to say they work

Cheers

Master
    Blog Entries
    Has anyone fitted their own log burner? I wouldn't mind putting one in as we ain't going to be running the central heating as much in winter.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurDALEY View Post
    You have a Multi fuel burner i hope Paul !
    I tried one and never found it pushed the heat out of the lounge , but others seem to say they work

Cheers
    Yes multi fuel so best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Has anyone fitted their own log burner? I wouldn't mind putting one in as we ain't going to be running the central heating as much in winter.
    be careful nowadays about fitting your own. You will need to get it 'installed' by a certified agent who provides a certificate, otherwise if you come to sell the house not having that certificate will mean you can't sell it. Big Brother is watching you. Similarly with electrical stuff. My brother fell foul of this within the last few months and it meant he had to get someone in to do the work and issue him a certificate. You can do the donkey work, but you need that certificate. I wonder how long it will be before you can 'buy a certificate' on the interweb, but it won't be logged with the local authority or land registry or whoever it is that does the admin.

As for the little spinny fan thing - makes a huge difference in disappating the heat across the room. We conducted some experiments with a thermometer at various ranges from the log burner and noted the difference. It is also non-scientifically proven by the 'you can feel the difference yourself' test around the house. Get one with fairly big blades. We even cook on ours through the winter, it is only a small one, 14" across the door. It heats the entire house, an 1874 4 bedroom sprawl. We have the central heating set to 15 degrees, just as background chill removal, the log burner does the rest.
    Last edited by Kairos; 19th August 2022 at 08:38.

After the last thread about these wee fans we bought one to try, opinions vary but we returned ours to Amazon after a few days as it made no noticeable difference at all.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    We have a wood pellet burner in Spain because it gets damn cold in the Spanish evenings during January to March.

These things are a modernised wood burner but they are cheaper to run and easier to keep clean. They also have a built in thermometer so it cuts out when the required temperature is reached.

The main thing is that they have an inbuilt powerful fan designed to push the heat through the house and even upstairs. The fan is noisy when first switched on but the sound levels reduce once it is tripping in and out once everything is up to temperature.

Yes you do need a powerful fan for heating through out the house from a single source.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
    be careful nowadays about fitting your own. You will need to get it 'installed' by a certified agent who provides a certificate, otherwise if you come to sell the house not having that certificate will mean you can't sell it. Big Brother is watching you. Similarly with electrical stuff. My brother fell foul of this within the last few months and it meant he had to get someone in to do the work and issue him a certificate. You can do the donkey work, but you need that certificate. I wonder how long it will be before you can 'buy a certificate' on the interweb, but it won't be logged with the local authority or land registry or whoever it is that does the admin.

As for the little spinny fan thing - makes a huge difference in disappating the heat across the room. We conducted some experiments with a thermometer at various ranges from the log burner and noted the difference. It is also non-scientifically proven by the 'you can feel the difference yourself' test around the house. Get one with fairly big blades. We even cook on ours through the winter, it is only a small one, 14" across the door. It heats the entire house, an 1874 4 bedroom sprawl. We have the central heating set to 15 degrees, just as background chill removal, the log burner does the rest.
    Annoying. I know on my last House I fitted all the windows but I want FENSA registered. We just had to pay some insurance for the work which was £50 for the sale to go through. I thought it would be the same for something like this.

Craftsman
    I found they make a difference, circulated the heat gently around the room rather than having a baking hot spot infront of the fire. Added a second and could push heat out the door, then it'd go up the stairs and warm the entire house after a few hours, central heating wouldn't need to come on. It's a very slow/gentle breeze and very sensitive to being pointed in the right direction or having stuff put infront.

I did try a cheap one that had 4 fairly thin blades, was rubbish and didn't work. It did spin, but wasn't very effective at pushing air. Stick to the ones with big fat prop blades.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post
    I found they make a difference, circulated the heat gently around the room rather than having a baking hot spot infront of the fire. Added a second and could push heat out the door, then it'd go up the stairs and warm the entire house after a few hours, central heating wouldn't need to come on. It's a very slow/gentle breeze and very sensitive to being pointed in the right direction or having stuff put infront.

I did try a cheap one that had 4 fairly thin blades, was rubbish and didn't work. It did spin, but wasn't very effective at pushing air. Stick to the ones with big fat prop blades.
    Any make/model that you'd recommend?