closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Royal Mail Strikes

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I think you are the tool as my education was actually State Grammar School

- - - Updated - - -

Enjoy your leg stretching as I'd wager there is bugger all else to do where you live so the size will come in handy
    Primrose Hill is lively enough and if the local amenities become tiresome it's not far from the bright lights. Now turn your telly up and your kids won't have to listen to the neighbours getting frisky, there's a good lad.

Quote Originally Posted by MacDeath View Post
    Primrose Hill is lively enough and if the local amenities become tiresome it's not far from the bright lights. Now turn your telly up and your kids won't have to listen to the neighbours getting frisky, there's a good lad.
    Actually my next door neighbour is the manager of a well known pop group and has no kids - although given his role I'm sure he gets frisky often enough but thankfully the noise insulation is decent.

Master
    A bit of schadenfreude with the news that 10k Royal Mail employees will be laid off, at least in part due to strike action. You see strikes are the preserve of the cowardly. Not brave enough to quit their job (and why would they, plenty of perks to working at Royal Mail) so they hide behind strike action to inconvenience the public whilst still making sure they keep their jobs because they don't actually want to leave them.

About time industrial action was outlawed. Employee rights are sacred and a must and if broken should be punished. But if you don't like your job you should be entitled to quit and go and do something else - but not withhold your labour and still expect to stay in the job.
    Ryan, next time they’re out on strike why not pop along to your nearest picket line and tell them exactly what you think of them? You know, man to man, or man to woman. Impress them with how much you earn and share some of the secrets of your success with them. They’ll thank you for it.

Master

Royal Mail Strikes

Come on Ryan , get it all out . You’ve already puked on the Strikes thread and you’ve come back to do it on this one.

Next strike is next week. I will keep you updated so you can puke again .x x
    It’s like burping a baby but funnier.

Blog Entries
    Won't be so many on the picket lines soon apparently. "Royal Mail to cut up to 10,000 roles, blaming strikes and lower parcel volumes"

https://www.theguardian.com/business...parcel-volumes
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Won't be so many on the picket lines soon apparently. "Royal Mail to cut up to 10,000 roles, blaming strikes and lower parcel volumes"

https://www.theguardian.com/business...parcel-volumes
    And said with so much personal pride.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    And said with so much personal pride.
    Sigh.

I have no dog in the fight, simply stating what was in the news. But hey, another dig under your belt son.

Sigh.

I have no dog in the fight, simply stating what was in the news. But hey, another dig under your belt son.
    Yeah, right.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Come on Ryan , get it all out . You’ve already puked on the Strikes thread and you’ve come back to do it on this one.

Next strike is next week. I will keep you updated so you can puke again .x x
    It’s like burping a baby but funnier.
    The bloke is an absolute tool. How the fuck does he have a six figure salary?
    Whatever it is he does, it can’t involve any intelligence, common sense, or being in touch with reality.
    I suspect some sort of nepotism/old boys network or similar.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, right.
    You seem to have a problem with me. I don't recall doing anything to you.

Royal Mail Strikes

You seem to have a problem with me. I don't recall doing anything to you.
    Let’s not play the victim. Nothing factual about your earlier post.

Blog Entries
    Let’s not play the victim. Nothing factual about your earlier post.
    I'm not playing the victim at all. It was a serious question. And if you follow the link in my post you will see it is factual. You just seem to want to provoke something thats all.

Royal Mail Strikes

I'm not playing the victim at all. It was a serious question. And if you follow the link in my post you will see it is factual. You just seem to want to provoke something thats all.
    Won’t be so many in the picket line soon apparently.

Stick to the factual.

The strikes thread is open in the BP where it belongs.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 15th October 2022 at 00:44.

Blog Entries
    Won’t be so many in the picket line soon apparently.

Stick to the factual.

The strikes thread is open in the BP where it belongs.
    That is factual. There won't be so many to strike after the redundancies. Don't tell me what to do. You're not a moderator on here.

Master

Royal Mail Strikes

That is factual. There won't be so many to strike after the redundancies. Don't tell me what to do. You're not a moderator on here.
    I started this thread to keep people aware of strike days not for bickering or bitching about workers rights etc. it would be better to do that in the BP surely?

Royal Mail aren’t making redundancies imminently. This means that there will be plenty of staff to go on strike. It’s a threat by RM that they can’t really afford to do just before Christmas etc. It is more likely that they will offer voluntary redundancies to staff and not fill the big holes in staffing that already exist. There you go.

I will keep you informed of any up and coming strikes :)
    Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 15th October 2022 at 15:42.

Blog Entries
    I started this thread to keep people aware of strike days not for bickering or bitching about workers rights etc. it would be better to do that in the BP surely?

Royal Mail aren’t making redundancies imminently. This means that there will be plenty of staff to go on strike. It’s a threat by RM that they can’t really afford to do just before Christmas etc. It is more likely that they will offer voluntary redundancies to staff and not fill the big holes in staffing that already exist. There you go.

I will keep you informed of any up and coming strikes :)
    My post was simply stating the facts about redundancies and not being so many workers to go on strike.

If you want to have a go at people 'bickering or bitching about workers rights' I suggest you look back at earlier posts where that was going on, and quote their posts and tell them. But you won't will you?

Master
    My post was simply stating the facts about redundancies and not being so many workers to go on strike.

If you want to have a go at people 'bickering or bitching about workers rights' I suggest you look back at earlier posts where that was going on, and quote their posts and tell them. But you won't will you?
    I’ll go one better:)Sorry for quoting you. That wasn’t a pop at you regarding the bickering etc .
    I was qiving you my input on the strike picket lines and redundancies.

FYI I had read the whole thread and seen what some people thought of strikers etc but I can’t really be arsed to argue with some of the trolls who want nothing more than an argument. Life is too short for that. Once again sorry if you thought it was aimed at you. Have a nice weekend. :)

I’ll go one better:)Sorry for quoting you. That wasn’t a pop at you regarding the bickering etc .

FYI I had read the whole thread and seen what some people thought of strikers etc but I can’t really be arsed to argue with some of the trolls who want nothing more than an argument. Life is too short for that. Once again sorry if you thought it was aimed at you. Have a nice weekend. :)
    There's a reason he's banned from the BP. Wouldn't even bother replying.

Master
    It’s his martyrdom complex coupled with a burning desire to have the last word. He really could create an argument in an empty room.

Master
    Absolutely not the case with Royal Mail. These folks have skill sets that are highly desirable by the likes of Amazon and logistics companies and there is very much a shortage of these people. Basically RM folks want to have their cake and eat it as there are many factors about working for RM that are better than working at Amazon etc.
    I worked for the RM for 22 years. The skillset thing is a two edged sword in the sense that whilst the staff are very dependant on the RM, the RM is very dependant on its staff and the in house knowledge required takes a long time to learn. This is why the staff are trained to stay for a long time.

The problem with RM is that it was privatised against the wishes of the staff, the management and also the Conservative party. Margaret Thatcher is on record in saying the the privatisation of the Post Office was a privatisation too far. It was pushed through by Blair and Mandelson and the actual privatisation took place under Cameron who enacted it as the process was beyond the point of no return. Mandelson had transferred the pension deficit of £10.7bn to the public coffers and HMG need to sell shares in order to recoup the cost.

The RM cannot expand as there are only 27m addresses in the UK and that will remain static. The delivery system has to be shared by competitors at a knock down price in order for them to compete with RM. It is an unholy mess and with losses occurring due to a reduction in postal volumes, the management have no option but to pay less as most of the cost of posting a letter is the cost of a post walking the streets during the delivery.

If the experienced staff do leave, delivery services will suffer, so this is one instance where the strike is justified and I say that as an ex senior manager.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I worked for the RM for 22 years. The skillset thing is a two edged sword in the sense that whilst the staff are very dependant on the RM, the RM is very dependant on its staff and the in house knowledge required takes a long time to learn. This is why the staff are trained to stay for a long time.

The problem with RM is that it was privatised against the wishes of the staff, the management and also the Conservative party. Margaret Thatcher is on record in saying the the privatisation of the Post Office was a privatisation too far. It was pushed through by Blair and Mandelson and the actual privatisation took place under Cameron who enacted it as the process was beyond the point of no return. Mandelson had transferred the pension deficit of £10.7bn to the public coffers and HMG need to sell shares in order to recoup the cost.

The RM cannot expand as there are only 27m addresses in the UK and that will remain static. The delivery system has to be shared by competitors at a knock down price in order for them to compete with RM. It is an unholy mess and with losses occurring due to a reduction in postal volumes, the management have no option but to pay less as most of the cost of posting a letter is the cost of a post walking the streets during the delivery.

If the experienced staff do leave, delivery services will suffer, so this is one instance where the strike is justified and I say that as an ex senior manager.
    22 years - we’d say a new guy - but seriously I took VR last April after nearly 34 years on the ‘front line’ and I’d seen some serious changes
    The ‘business’ wasn’t going the way I wanted and didn’t allow mte to manage my guys and girls the way I wanted
    In my opinion the business is doomed and I ‘personally’ feel this is what the powers to be want
    Plunge to the depths and the uso restaints will be removed -
    The RM profit it has benefited from over the last few years has been propped up by massive covid contracts with the government
    Must admit I’d hate to be a postman (or manger) now - a thankless task
    I honestly think RM will not back down and want this fight

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    There's a reason he's banned from the BP.
    Every day is a school day.

Blog Entries

Fair enough. No offence taken.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    There's a reason he's banned from the BP. Wouldn't even bother replying.
    And what was that? Since you appear to know. I still have the message from Eddie telling me why by the way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    It’s his martyrdom complex coupled with a burning desire to have the last word. He really could create an argument in an empty room.
    Every day is a school day.
    I'd struggle around you lot to be fair.

And what was that? Since you appear to know. I still have the message from Eddie telling me why by the way.
    For trying to have the last word with an echo.

I'd struggle around you lot to be fair.
    It is only the internet.

I hope your wife's knee is on the mend.

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    It is only the internet.

I hope your wife's knee is on the mend.

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk
    Yes.

It is thanks for asking.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    22 years - we’d say a new guy - but seriously I took VR last April after nearly 34 years on the ‘front line’ and I’d seen some serious changes
    The ‘business’ wasn’t going the way I wanted and didn’t allow mte to manage my guys and girls the way I wanted
    In my opinion the business is doomed and I ‘personally’ feel this is what the powers to be want
    Plunge to the depths and the uso restaints will be removed -
    The RM profit it has benefited from over the last few years has been propped up by massive covid contracts with the government
    Must admit I’d hate to be a postman (or manger) now - a thankless task
    I honestly think RM will not back down and want this fight
    Heck, I only did just over 15 years, so a relative newbie! I joined in 1989 as a postie whilst I wondered what I wanted to do with life, but started down the management side after a few years and loved it. I ran shifts in the mail centres, was a DO mgr for a while too, and also managed some projects. It ended with me alongside some very senior managers as part of one of RMs many ‘transformations’. A wonderful organisation that gave me a lot of training and experience that I still benefit from today.

I left RM in 2004, taking VR, so I tend to be wary about taking my experience as gospel as a lot has changed in the intervening 18 years I’m sure, but it sounds like the old challenges are still the same.

I’m not generally a ‘union guy’, I joined the CWU in the early days when I was a new postman (as was almost mandatory back then) but quietly dropped my subs after a few weeks as I didn’t like the way they worked locally. I was more often than not sat around the table with them in later years, negotiating change, and by and large the CWU were sensible and serious people who had the interests of workers and customers at heart, and the business that supported them both.

I wonder now about how it can properly compete and survive. I was always sceptical that a genuine public service could transform into something more commercial without losing all the things that made it special and so loved by lots of the public.

Turning it into a red Hermes/Evri was always one of the potential destinations, which is pretty sad.

Craftsman
    I sympathise with the posties. The CEO seems an obnoxious arrogant a hole.Two years ago the posties were hero key workers and now it seems all they deserve is redundancy.Simon Thompson has a big history of asset stripping companies.He is not being honest about what He wants the future of RM to be. Letter delivery every other day and huge price increases for the customer.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    I sympathise with the posties. The CEO seems an obnoxious arrogant a hole.Two years ago the posties were hero key workers and now it seems all they deserve is redundancy.Simon Thompson has a big history of asset stripping companies.He is not being honest about what He wants the future of RM to be. Letter delivery every other day and huge price increases for the customer.
    I met him a couple of times just after he took up the position- on the face (initially) he he made all the right noises and seemed not too bad but went back on virtually everything he said
    They let all 3 managers in my office ‘go’ as we didn’t like to tow the company line - we offered to meet with him and basically tell he where the company was going wrong - he declined - over 110 years or RM experience e tween the 3 of us

Master
    Royal Mail Strikes tomorrow on Thursday 20th October.

Craftsman
    Royal Mail Strikes tomorrow on Thursday 20th October.
    Good luck to them. Crappy weather coming and Christmas. Give them a bit more money and some job security. Also a. CEO as lewie mentioned who listens to frontline staff.

Master
    Possibly a bit of a tangent but does anyone know how RM ended up doing the 'final mile' bit for post organisations that undercut them? Unless there is a masterplan I'm missing, quite possible, it seems like idiocy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thebuffoon View Post
    Possibly a bit of a tangent but does anyone know how RM ended up doing the 'final mile' bit for post organisations that undercut them? Unless there is a masterplan I'm missing, quite possible, it seems like idiocy.
    If Mandelson had not allowed it, no other company would have taken the Royal Mail on. Also he had to "lose" the pension fund which did. We had the ludicrous situation of the Tories opposing privatisation and New Labour all for it. We had madness even back then.

Damn, first world problem but still damn. I had an electric guitar being delivered today by parcelforce. I received a text with tracking link telling me that 'David' would deliver it between 17:15 and 18:15. At about 6 o'clock the live tracking map showing David's progress had his van two streets away. We'll he hasn't appeared and the live map has disappeared from the link. I assume he's done his hours, clocked off and gone home, fair enough, I'm home tomorrow but am assuming David is on strike with the rest of his colleagues. Drat and double drat.

Craftsman
    Looks like more next week. My Postie told Me they have waisted time in negotiating with a CEO who doesn’t want to negotiate.Just wants to trash the company and start from scratch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Our Postie a youngish chap who is a delightful guy which any organisation would love to have, but he hates these strikes and he is convinced RM is on the road to oblivion.

British Layland all over again, companies and senders will find another way of doing it, and they won’t come back, since lockdown the carriers infrastructure have improved beyond recognition and prices have comparatively reduced significantly, voting to strike is turkey’s for Christmas.

Master
    The problem is, we won’t know what we’ve got until it’s gone.

Good luck sending a birthday card to your mum for less than £3-4 once the only company with a universal service obligation is toast.

It’s obvious that a postal service is national infrastructure, probably time to make the postal network like rail track or national grid, and then charge every company to use it.

A proper level playing field, with proper competition.

Master
    I used their new parcel collection service the other day. Cost almost half of what Evri want, item collected by my normal postie with a smile and arrived on time with tracking.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    I used their new parcel collection service the other day. Cost almost half of what Evri want, item collected by my normal postie with a smile and arrived on time with tracking.
    The collection service itself is currently free. I believe they are going to start charging for this from next year, but I can't find anything that says how much - just that it's free until the end of December. Definitely much better service than the other couriers.
    Last edited by robt; 18th November 2022 at 18:56. Reason: typo

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    The collection service itself is currently free. I believe they are going to start charging for this from next year, but I can't find anything that say how much - just that it's free until the end of December. Definitely much better service than the other couriers.
    I sent a small parcel (40x15x10cm) 600g 48 hour tracked service for less than £3 collected with £100 insurance. Tremendous!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    The problem is, we won’t know what we’ve got until it’s gone.

Good luck sending a birthday card to your mum for less than £3-4 once the only company with a universal service obligation is toast.

It’s obvious that a postal service is national infrastructure, probably time to make the postal network like rail track or national grid, and then charge every company to use it.

A proper level playing field, with proper competition.
    I agree look what’s happened to all the other privatised uk companies all done with promises of better services lower prices more competition till a few years down the line they are down to 1 or 2 private companies with what amounts to a monopoly providing a crap service costing the earth to line shareholders pockets and not at all “competitive”

Via Click and Drop, The Tracked48 service is currently the same price as 2Class until 31.12.

Only caveat is inexplicably, you can't drop at PO's. Only delivery offices and mail centres.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    I sent a small parcel (40x15x10cm) 600g 48 hour tracked service for less than £3 collected with £100 insurance. Tremendous!
    Probably at a loss to RM though hence the difficulty. How they can offer that solution and not lose money is incomprehensible hence the challenge they have with requests for pay increases/different working conditions (which costs money they don't have).

Probably the solution is widespread increases in postage costs to jelp pay for this and maintain their excellent infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tickeros View Post
    Via Click and Drop, The Tracked48 service is currently the same price as 2Class until 31.12.

Only caveat is inexplicably, you can't drop at PO's. Only delivery offices and mail centres.
    And parcel boxes,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    And parcel boxes,
    Good point.
    If the item will fit, you can put it in a normal post box and once scanned, it will enter the system at the mail centre.
    No immediate receipt though.

Master
    Well... I have found the right moment for a parcel from UK. Damn.

Master
    Probably at a loss to RM though hence the difficulty. How they can offer that solution and not lose money is incomprehensible hence the challenge they have with requests for pay increases/different working conditions (which costs money they don't have).

Probably the solution is widespread increases in postage costs to jelp pay for this and maintain their excellent infrastructure.
    It costs nothing extra to RM. The postman picks it up on his/hers way past. It means people don’t have to bother with the crappy post office anymore. It’s a good system for consumers. After New Year it will have a cost though.