closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 107

Thread: Royal Mail Strikes

  1. #1
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Bristol uk
    Posts
    1,198

    Royal Mail Strikes

    Just a heads up that Royal Mail will be striking next week on Friday 26th so I would avoid sending anything valuable that may clash with that date. Wednesday 31st is also on the cards for striking unless Royal Mail meet the unions demands which is pretty doubtful.
    Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 17th August 2022 at 20:05.

  2. #2
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    207
    Thanks for the heads up.

    I didn't know.

    I tell ya, I learn more useful information from this forum than I do from the news =)

  3. #3
    Master Filterlab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Royston Vasey
    Posts
    5,777
    Quote Originally Posted by Samlack99 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up.

    I didn't know.

    I tell ya, I learn more useful information from this forum than I do from the news =)
    That's 'cos the news is a bunch of arse and this place is populated by decent, educated and sensible people.

  4. #4
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Bristol uk
    Posts
    1,198

    Royal Mail Strikes

    Another heads up. More strikes scheduled by Royal Mail this Friday (30th September) & Saturday (1st October) . Bare this in mind if sending expensive or precious stuff as there will be a back log afterwards and stuff may well be delayed.

  5. #5
    I think theyíve already started in Manchester given it took nearly a week for a watch I sent RMSD to arrive at destination.

  6. #6
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Bristol uk
    Posts
    1,198
    Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    I think theyíve already started in Manchester given it took nearly a week for a watch I sent RMSD to arrive at destination.
    Yeap, although thatíll be running offices at only 80% staff , not covering delivery rounds everyday. You may have noticed that you are only getting mail every 3 or 4 days. This is Royal Mails new policy which they are bringing in . 1st class means sweet FA now. Itís a shambles.

  7. #7
    How long before it isnít sustainable and the whole business goes below its critical mass, all the customers that leave wonít come back.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Yeap, although thatíll be running offices at only 80% staff , not covering delivery rounds everyday. You may have noticed that you are only getting mail every 3 or 4 days. This is Royal Mails new policy which they are bringing in . 1st class means sweet FA now. Itís a shambles.
    Regular service for us here in SE London thenÖ

  9. #9
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Bristol uk
    Posts
    1,198
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    How long before it isnít sustainable and the whole business goes below its critical mass, all the customers that leave wonít come back.
    That is what may well happen. Maybe Itíll go pop and the government will take back RM. We shall see:)

  10. #10
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Bristol uk
    Posts
    1,198

    Royal Mail Strikes

    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Regular service for us here in SE London thenÖ
    Yeap, itís cheaper to deliver it every 3 or 4 days than every day like Royal Mail are supposed to do. The fine that RM get for breaking the daily delivery contract is less than the money that they save by not staffing fully. Makes you realise how they are pretty happy to stiff the customers let alone the near minimum wage staff.
    Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 27th September 2022 at 21:56.

  11. #11
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    15,017
    Thanks for keeping us updated as always.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Yeap, itís cheaper to deliver it every 3 or 4 days than every day like Royal Mail are supposed to do. The fine that RM get for breaking the daily delivery contract is less than the money that they save by not staffing fully. Makes you realise how they are pretty happy to stiff the customers let alone the near minimum wage staff.
    I know, they closed out sorting office and moved everything to a bigger one and now the delivery area is huge, itís no wonder. The old sorting office is now luxury flatsÖcause we always need more of those! The staff always try their best but itís like having one hand tied behind your back!

  13. #13
    Master SeanST150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    2,708
    Does anyone know an alternative for sending a letter to a solicitor? Normally I'd send via Royal Mail Special Delivery, but I'm interested in exploring another provider now.

    I can only locate on Google alternatives for business users, or sending a parcel.

  14. #14
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    6,417
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    Does anyone know an alternative for sending a letter to a solicitor? Normally I'd send via Royal Mail Special Delivery, but I'm interested in exploring another provider now.

    I can only locate on Google alternatives for business users, or sending a parcel.
    Presume this is something sensitive- for delivery tomorrow?

  15. #15
    Master SeanST150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    2,708
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Presume this is something sensitive- for delivery tomorrow?
    Not necessarily for tomorrow, I'm just done with the Royal Mail.

  16. #16
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    27,899
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    Not necessarily for tomorrow, I'm just done with the Royal Mail.
    So you're "done with" people exercising their rights?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

    'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

  17. #17
    Master Papa Hotel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Not Edinburgh
    Posts
    6,977
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    Does anyone know an alternative for sending a letter to a solicitor? Normally I'd send via Royal Mail Special Delivery, but I'm interested in exploring another provider now.

    I can only locate on Google alternatives for business users, or sending a parcel.
    Why not email?

  18. #18
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    15,017
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    So you're "done with" people exercising their rights?
    Maybe he's just done with a company who aren't treating or paying their employees fairly

  19. #19
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    27,899
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Maybe he's just done with a company who aren't treating or paying their employees fairly
    Fair point I suppose.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

    'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

  20. #20
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    sussex uk
    Posts
    560
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    Does anyone know an alternative for sending a letter to a solicitor? Normally I'd send via Royal Mail Special Delivery, but I'm interested in exploring another provider now.

    I can only locate on Google alternatives for business users, or sending a parcel.
    Special Delivery should still be OK. The managers are having to deliver them.

  21. #21
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Bristol uk
    Posts
    1,198
    Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    Special Delivery should still be OK. The managers are having to deliver them.
    This is correct . Some delivery offices are still operating for RMSD . Yeah it is a pain in the backside but needs must.

  22. #22
    Grand Master hogthrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    15,864
    Blog Entries
    1
    If RM want to reduce costs, perhaps they could get the posties to re-use rubber bands, rather than just dropping them on the ground?

  23. #23
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NW Leics
    Posts
    7,497
    We're fortunate that there are plenty of alternatives to RM these days. Most communications I get as a customer from the various services that correspond with me arrive to me via email and there are plenty of other parcel carriers. Ultimately the striking workers are encouraging their customers to pursue more reliable and efficient alternatives for the future, away from Royal Mail. No bad thing, in the long run.

  24. #24
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Bristol uk
    Posts
    1,198
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    If RM want to reduce costs, perhaps they could get the posties to re-use rubber bands, rather than just dropping them on the ground?
    Great idea . Tell your postman face to face when you see him/her rather than harbour such great ideas to an Internet forum .

  25. #25
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Far
    Posts
    2,851
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    If RM want to reduce costs, perhaps they could get the posties to re-use rubber bands, rather than just dropping them on the ground?
    They do that here too. Whatever happened to making a huge ball of them and bouncing them around the office!

  26. #26
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    27,899
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    We're fortunate that there are plenty of alternatives to RM these days. Most communications I get as a customer from the various services that correspond with me arrive to me via email and there are plenty of other parcel carriers. Ultimately the striking workers are encouraging their customers to pursue more reliable and efficient alternatives for the future, away from Royal Mail. No bad thing, in the long run.
    You really are 'all heart'.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

    'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

  27. #27
    Grand Master Onelasttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Everywhere, yet nowhere...
    Posts
    11,884
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    We're fortunate that there are plenty of alternatives to RM these days. Most communications I get as a customer from the various services that correspond with me arrive to me via email and there are plenty of other parcel carriers. Ultimately the striking workers are encouraging their customers to pursue more reliable and efficient alternatives for the future, away from Royal Mail. No bad thing, in the long run.
    Ah yes, of courseÖ Evri, Yodel and DPD. All reliably shit and couldn't give a toss about the packages, customers or the workers. I might have missed other providers.

    Surprised it took you this long to rear your Tory trolling head.

  28. #28
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    1,171
    Really don't get the royal mail strikes, or any strike for that matter. Semi skilled job for semi skilled money what's to moan about, if you're not happy, then just leave and find another job, its so easy

  29. #29
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    27,899
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    Really don't get the royal mail strikes, or any strike for that matter. Semi skilled job for semi skilled money what's to moan about, if you're not happy, then just leave and find another job, its so easy
    Surprised that halfwits can type.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

    'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

  30. #30
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Surprised that halfwits can type.
    remember though, being half of something is better than being 100% of nothing

  31. #31
    Grand Master Onelasttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Everywhere, yet nowhere...
    Posts
    11,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    Really don't get the royal mail strikes, or any strike for that matter. Semi skilled job for semi skilled money what's to moan about, if you're not happy, then just leave and find another job, its so easy
    Ryan's law #1

  32. #32
    Master valleywatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    south wales
    Posts
    3,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    Really don't get the royal mail strikes, or any strike for that matter. Semi skilled job for semi skilled money what's to moan about, if you're not happy, then just leave and find another job, its so easy
    Lol!!

    Sure, lets just keep the peasants under control.

    Don't give them any decent conditions, no pensions, no pay increase, no safety at work blah blah blah.

    I looked at your reply, it could just have easily come from the 1700s....unbelievable.

    I'm so sick of hearing the old "you should be grateful to have a job etc rhetoric".

  33. #33
    Without the ability to strike, all you can do is beg.

    Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

  34. #34
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NW Leics
    Posts
    7,497
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Surprised that halfwits can type.
    You must have been overjoyed to read your own post then. Congratulations.

  35. #35
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NW Leics
    Posts
    7,497
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    You really are 'all heart'.
    Honestly, the Royal Mail strikes weren't my idea. They're doing it to themselves, and if they want to do that - they're consenting adults, aren't they?

  36. #36
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    27,899
    Quote Originally Posted by valleywatch View Post
    Lol!!

    Sure, lets just keep the peasants under control.

    Don't give them any decent conditions, no pensions, no pay increase, no safety at work blah blah blah.

    I looked at your reply, it could just have easily come from the 1700s....unbelievable.

    I'm so sick of hearing the old "you should be grateful to have a job etc rhetoric".
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Without the ability to strike, all you can do is beg.

    Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk
    ^^^^ this..
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

    'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

  37. #37
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Bristol uk
    Posts
    1,198
    Strikes - THURSDAY 13th October - donít send any stuff as it may well get delayed big time.

  38. #38
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    dunfermline fife
    Posts
    1,135
    In the post office sending recorded delivery and noticed a big sign on the wall announcing they accept DPD parcels for collection, isn't that supporting the opposition.

  39. #39
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,847
    A bit of schadenfreude with the news that 10k Royal Mail employees will be laid off, at least in part due to strike action. You see strikes are the preserve of the cowardly. Not brave enough to quit their job (and why would they, plenty of perks to working at Royal Mail) so they hide behind strike action to inconvenience the public whilst still making sure they keep their jobs because they don't actually want to leave them.

    About time industrial action was outlawed. Employee rights are sacred and a must and if broken should be punished. But if you don't like your job you should be entitled to quit and go and do something else - but not withhold your labour and still expect to stay in the job.

  40. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    A bit of schadenfreude with the news that 10k Royal Mail employees will be laid off, at least in part due to strike action. You see strikes are the preserve of the cowardly. Not brave enough to quit their job (and why would they, plenty of perks to working at Royal Mail) so they hide behind strike action to inconvenience the public whilst still making sure they keep their jobs because they don't actually want to leave them.

    About time industrial action was outlawed. Employee rights are sacred and a must and if broken should be punished. But if you don't like your job you should be entitled to quit and go and do something else - but not withhold your labour and still expect to stay in the job.
    How is it, back there in the 1800's?

    Members posting this sort of stupidity on publicly accessible forums should be forced to go and have a lie down on their Versace bedding until they gather some decency, common sense and normality.

  41. #41
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    South West, UK
    Posts
    2,023
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    A bit of schadenfreude with the news that 10k Royal Mail employees will be laid off, at least in part due to strike action. You see strikes are the preserve of the cowardly. Not brave enough to quit their job (and why would they, plenty of perks to working at Royal Mail) so they hide behind strike action to inconvenience the public whilst still making sure they keep their jobs because they don't actually want to leave them.

    About time industrial action was outlawed. Employee rights are sacred and a must and if broken should be punished. But if you don't like your job you should be entitled to quit and go and do something else - but not withhold your labour and still expect to stay in the job.
    Do you understand some markets are imperfect? Some localities are over dependent on certain industries. This coupled with abuse of power means workers can have very few options and are dependent on the job they have.

  42. #42
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    27,899
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    A bit of schadenfreude with the news that 10k Royal Mail employees will be laid off, at least in part due to strike action. You see strikes are the preserve of the cowardly. Not brave enough to quit their job (and why would they, plenty of perks to working at Royal Mail) so they hide behind strike action to inconvenience the public whilst still making sure they keep their jobs because they don't actually want to leave them.

    About time industrial action was outlawed. Employee rights are sacred and a must and if broken should be punished. But if you don't like your job you should be entitled to quit and go and do something else - but not withhold your labour and still expect to stay in the job.
    Just fuck off, so frequently you prove that earnings and intelligence are unrelated.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

    'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

  43. #43
    Grand Master jwg663's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    21.5 km From Moscow
    Posts
    16,156
    Ryan Antoinette.
    ______

    ​Jim.

  44. #44
    Grand Master Passenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cartagena, Spain
    Posts
    19,622
    BLIMEY triple checks not in the other place...say wutnow! RYAN FINALLY COMING OUT!

  45. #45
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    6,159
    Trolling

  46. #46
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    15,017
    I'm convinced Ryan only comes on here to provoke like this when his TV or internet is down and he's limited to phone only.

  47. #47
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    27,899
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    BLIMEY triple checks not in the other place...say wutnow! RYAN FINALLY COMING OUT!
    Mate he's an utter ******* tool, the result of a private education and the "old boys network" doubtful he'd be in his flat in Kingston upon Thames if he'd had to graft for it,
    Last edited by number2; 15th October 2022 at 02:04.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

    'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

  48. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Mate he's an utter ******* tool, the result of a private education and the "old boys network" doubtful he'd be in his flat in Kingston upon Thames if he'd had to graft for it,
    Bell sniff of the highest order.

    Makes me giggle when someone who lives in a poxy flat thinks they're better than everyone else. Now, can't stay, I'm off to stretch my legs and walk the perimeter of my 8,000 sqft mortgage free home lol.

  49. #49
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,847
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Mate he's an utter fucking tool, the result of a private education and the "old boys network" doubtful he'd be in his flat in Kingston upon Thames if he'd had to graft for it,
    I think you are the tool as my education was actually State Grammar School. And that education was enough to enable me to know that swearing is banned in G&D. Hopefully a decent ban will let you cool off a bit.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by MacDeath View Post
    Bell sniff of the highest order.

    Makes me giggle when someone who lives in a poxy flat thinks they're better than everyone else. Now, can't stay, I'm off to stretch my legs and walk the perimeter of my 8,000 sqft mortgage free home lol.
    Enjoy your leg stretching as I'd wager there is bugger all else to do where you live so the size will come in handy
    Last edited by ryanb741; 14th October 2022 at 19:25.

  50. #50
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,847
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Do you understand some markets are imperfect? Some localities are over dependent on certain industries. This coupled with abuse of power means workers can have very few options and are dependent on the job they have.
    Absolutely not the case with Royal Mail. These folks have skill sets that are highly desirable by the likes of Amazon and logistics companies and there is very much a shortage of these people. Basically RM folks want to have their cake and eat it as there are many factors about working for RM that are better than working at Amazon etc.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information