closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is the Marine Nationale the perfect strap?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    Off the back of this thread, I bought an MN strap from Erika’s Originals. The strap fits well, except I struggle to actually put it on - it is very difficult to hook the clasp onto the buckle when the strap is on my wrist. I can hook it on before wearing the strap, but then I have to stretch the strap a lot to get it over my hand, and this tends to loosen the strap fitting in the process. What do other people do?
    I found its one of those tasks that requires practice, but once mastered becomes second nature.

Craftsman
    Thanks, I will persevere. Perhaps the MN design could be improved by making the top of the buckle round, instead of flat, which would help to guide the hook onto it. Although this might make the strap fitting more likely to slip.

Off the back of this thread, I bought an MN strap from Erika’s Originals. The strap fits well, except I struggle to actually put it on - it is very difficult to hook the clasp onto the buckle when the strap is on my wrist. I can hook it on before wearing the strap, but then I have to stretch the strap a lot to get it over my hand, and this tends to loosen the strap fitting in the process. What do other people do?
    No probs with hooking it on, but you can easily tighten or loosen the strap while on your wrist by slding the metal 'loop' part.

I found I have to slightly tilt one side of the buckle upwards by pressing the other side down with my thumb in order to get the hook to locate easily - it's a technique that comes with practice, I struggled initially. The design of both metal parts could easily be improved with a little more machining.

Have the exact same “issue”.

With the NM I don't bother 'undoing' it, just slide it over my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    I found I have to slightly tilt one side of the buckle upwards by pressing the other side down with my thumb in order to get the hook to locate easily
    It came so naturally I didn't even register doing it -- yes, I tilt the buckle to give the hook more grip, too.

I initially had trouble getting the strap buckled. I now brace the strap on my wrist ( the pinkie side) against my knee and can do it in 2 or 3 seconds. As mentioned, it becomes simple and second nature.

So I bought an EO for my FXD a while back but to be 100% honest I really don't get the huge following sure it's a nice enough strap but I found the catch a bit fiddly and the material not quite thick enough for me and thought I would like to try something that was designed so no material under case back soooo.

I went down the 'Nick Mankey' route and the childish 6 year old Action Man route with a PTE version

It arrived yesterday after a 2 month wait (they are seemingly very busy)

what a fab strap a bit complicated to work out but once you have it makes sense It's very comfortable and having a double layer on either side of watch case but non underneath works really well, I love it.

adjustment is easy you make the 'loop' bigger or smaller to increase or decrease size and the hook is easy to use to secure but slightly more fiddly to undo but thats not a bad thing.

heres some pics of the PTE strap - plain colours also available.

Last edited by TKH; 6th October 2022 at 13:57.

Looks great that

Probably get laughed at for this one, but am I doing this right?

I bought an EO strap fitted it to my watch, it’s really comfortable I like it. Problem is if I tighten it to fit my wrist, Its a bit of a struggle to get it off over my hand, but it’s doable. My silly question is. Is repeated stretching the strap to get it on and off, going to affect the watch spring bar holes over time?

I find EO straps too firmly-elasticated to take off thuswise, so I just unclip and reclip - there's a knack to it, but easy enough once mastered.

I'd imagine it'd take decades to erode the lug holes, and only then if you allow dirt to remain in them all the time - otherwise you have two similar grades of metal in contact.

Ahh ok thank you.

I am uncliping the strap, it’s just a tight squeeze to get my hand in and out. Big hands skinny wrist I think lol.
    It’s on a Damasko watch, so hopefully being a hardened case the lug holes should be ok

I find EO straps too firmly-elasticated to take off thuswise, so I just unclip and reclip - there's a knack to it, but easy enough once mastered.

I'd imagine it'd take decades to erode the lug holes, and only then if you allow dirt to remain in them all the time - otherwise you have two similar grades of metal in contact.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    I am uncliping the strap, it’s just a tight squeeze to get my hand in and out. Big hands skinny wrist I think lol.
    It’s on a Damasko watch, so hopefully being a hardened case the lug holes should be ok
    They are very resilient (I own them myself), so I'm sure you'll be 100% fine - the hardened case will be significantly harder than the metal the springbars is made from.

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

They are very resilient (I own them myself), so I'm sure you'll be 100% fine - the hardened case will be significantly harder than the metal the springbars is made from.

Some great watch strap combo’s, but I come on here to look at NATO’s and become mesmerized by @skips GS diver…!

I am also given to childishness and have a pull-to-eject Mankey strap; I love it. The only challenge is, the print (esp the hazard stripe) makes the strap fractionally thicker and the “loop” harder to winkle through the metal fitting. Also, over time the print tends to adhere to itself, which makes adjustment considerably more of a faff than the normal nylon ones.

Worth it though. So, so worth it.