closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the Marine Nationale the perfect strap?

Is the Marine Nationale the perfect strap?

I'm late to this show, just acquired my first marine nationale last week, now I have 3....

Very comfortable, infinitely adjustable (like the Oyster clasp only along its entire length), completely classless as in equally comfortable across the entire pantheon of field / outdoor / activity watches, inexpensive and as secure as a strap can get.

Ok, they're not pull-through like a NATO; you do need to remove the pins to fit one, but once done they're better fitting, and just as strong.

Any advances on Marine Nationale?

I'm never so sure about the "secure as a strap can get" part with these straps. I always feel these would make it super easy for a thief to yank the watch off your wrist as the elastic would stretch enough for it to be pulled over your hand on one swoop. That aside I like them, but prefer NATO straps personally.

There are MN straps and MN straps IMO. EO are the best I have found, the material is elastic but not as elastic as others, thicker but not too thick and the clasps seem to fit a bit better, they just seem much better quality, but should be for the price, LUFT offer the best bang for buck IMO but I still prefer EO. They run close to a Phoenix NATO for me. I replace the spring bars with shoulderless versions though.
    A grey Phoenix / CWC NATO edges it though.

Master
    I've had them.in the past but prefer the watch steward straps now, mainly because they're not such a rip off and you don't have the extra layer of strap between the watch head and your wrist so better for taller watches.

Just got my first Erika last week. Yet to fit it onto the bronze IWC pilot I got it for, but first impressions are v. good. Had to google how to put it on tbh!

Currently loving the similar Nick Mankey strap on my MM600 which, as mentioned above regarding the strap steward equivalent, has the benefit of not having a layer under the watch head.

Last edited by gunner; 9th September 2022 at 08:19.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Currently loving the similar Nick Mankey strap on my MM600 which, as mentioned above regarding the strap steward equivalent, has the benefit of not having a layer under the watch head.
    I miss my MM600. Especially when I think how much I let it go for!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    There are MN straps and MN straps IMO. EO are the best I have found, the material is elastic but not as elastic as others, thicker but not too thick and the clasps seem to fit a bit better, they just seem much better quality, but should be for the price, LUFT offer the best bang for buck IMO but I still prefer EO. They run close to a Phoenix NATO for me. I replace the spring bars with shoulderless versions though.
    A grey Phoenix / CWC NATO edges it though.
    Thanks for that, I'm taking a look now, as well as NDC.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul J View Post
    Thanks for that, I'm taking a look now, as well as NDC.
    NDC are also very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Marios View Post
    Just got my first Erika last week. Yet to fit it onto the bronze IWC pilot I got it for, but first impressions are v. good. Had to google how to put it on tbh!
    Me too!

Just ordered the black ops with the hot orange stripe - it's a Seamaster thing

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    NDC are also very good.
    I went with the Erika

Quote Originally Posted by Paul J View Post
    I went with the Erika
    Bloody expensive though.
    Last edited by gunner; 9th September 2022 at 08:18.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Bloody expensive though.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    There is that...!

Master
    I love the EO strap, and most of my watches invariably end up on one. I've tried the cheaper options, but none are on a par. Yes they are expensive, but compared to the cost of the watches they hold so well, maybe not to expensive.

Few gratuitous pictures for reference!

Master
    The EO straps are excruciatingly expensive. A mate of mine in 4 PARA gave me one of the original French parachute elastic straps, he got some when he did a jumps course over there. It's comfortable & feels secure but I do find myself repeatedly checking the open ends...

I adore them, they are perfect for the warmer months. I’m still a sucker for a properly made leather strap though.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    I've had them.in the past but prefer the watch steward straps now, mainly because they're not such a rip off and you don't have the extra layer of strap between the watch head and your wrist so better for taller watches.
    ^^^ This ^^^

Since acquiring a WS elastic strap by stealth with a watch purchase, I'm converted. Super comfortable and I can place the buckle dead centre on my wrist, which I could never do on an EO. And the price of Erikas is TTP.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    I love the EO strap, and most of my watches invariably end up on one. I've tried the cheaper options, but none are on a par. Yes they are expensive, but compared to the cost of the watches they hold so well, maybe not to expensive.

Few gratuitous pictures for reference!

There's some very lovely watches on those straps; the GS diver is sublime

NDC on FXD

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Im a big fan of EO.
    Tried other MN straps and IMO they're not as good. Altho I have not tried Nick M but have heard good things.

I actually dont think her prices are a rip off at all. They last for ages, are well made and dont lose shape or elasticity. You get what you pay for.

I love my Erica MN. I have 3 or 4 in different size and colours, Especially like it on my JP2000 Citizen Diver (24mm lugs)

Perfect? No.

They’re inelegant. I’m sure they are comfortable, but I assume so are elasticated-waist chinos and wearing socks with open-toe sandals.

If that’s your vibe, more power to you. I’ll pass for now (but reserve the right to change my mind!)

In theory, they might be perfect-able, but I've yet to try one that fully ticks all the boxes, mainly because I want to wear them like this:

And not as per Right-hand side below:

...because I don't want the added height with my usual choice of rather tall mechanical chronographs on-board.

The theory is that any MN should be wearable either way round, but my preference requires a longer strap, and having tried everything from Ł5 thiefbay cheapies, via 'cheapestnatostraps' and Hawkrigger versions, up to Ł80 Erika's I have yet to find one long enough for my unexceptional 7.5" wrists.

I do have a couple of Nick Mankey straps on order, and The Watch Steward 'Original' also looks promising, so there is still hope...

Have to say I'm underwhelmed by the EO - yes the webbing does feel a little tougher, and the colour choice and config choices are really good, unbeatable even, but the hardware is poorly-finished and at over Ł80 landed in the UK, frankly it's a pisstake. Cheap compared with the watches themselves, sure, but from around Ł30 you can get (e.g.) genuine croc/gator hand-made in Germany by the likes of Rios, Fluco, &c - Ł80 gets you the nice cuts!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    In theory, they might be perfect-able, but I've yet to try one that fully ticks all the boxes, mainly because I want to wear them like this:

...because I don't want the added height with my usual choice of rather tall mechanical chronographs on-board.

The theory is that any MN should be wearable either way round, but my preference requires a longer strap, and having tried everything from Ł5 thiefbay cheapies, via 'cheapestnatostraps' and Hawkrigger versions, up to Ł80 Erika's I have yet to find one long enough for my unexceptional 7.5" wrists.

I do have a couple of Nick Mankey straps on order, and The Watch Steward 'Original' also looks promising, so there is still hope...

Have to say I'm underwhelmed by the EO - yes the webbing does feel a little tougher, and the colour choice and config choices are really good, unbeatable even, but the hardware is poorly-finished and at over Ł80 landed in the UK, frankly it's a pisstake. Cheap compared with the watches themselves, sure, but from around Ł30 you can get (e.g.) genuine croc/gator hand-made in Germany by the likes of Rios, Fluco, &c - Ł80 gets you the nice cuts!
    I have a 7.5" wrist and wear a Watch Steward strap on my MM300, perfect fit and as you know, no strap between the watch head and your wrist. They're great quality for the price, EO's are too expensive for what they are imo (but that goes for a lot of things I suppose).

Last edited by Toddy; 17th August 2022 at 17:04.

Thanks for sharing the picture of the no through pass method - I'm going to give that a go!

....no. I had the same problem as you, 7 1/2” wrists and to MN is too short for that configuration.

Love the watch steward straps.

Plus 5 mins head scratching and a small knife for thread unpicking and it's good for a super low profile combo with fixed lugs

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    Perfect? No.

They’re inelegant. I’m sure they are comfortable, but I assume so are elasticated-waist chinos……

Hilarious!

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 7.5" wrist and wear a Watch Steward strap on my MM300, perfect fit and as you know, no strap between the watch head and your wrist. They're great quality for the price, EO's are too expensive for what they are imo (but that goes for a lot of things I suppose).

Excuse the gushing - but that is a great looking combo there I can't afford an MM300, but the feedback about Watch Steward straps has certainly whetted my appetite!

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    Perfect? No.

They’re inelegant. I’m sure they are comfortable, but I assume so are elasticated-waist chinos and wearing socks with open-toe sandals.

If that’s your vibe, more power to you. I’ll pass for now (but reserve the right to change my mind!)
    Indeed. It seems now impossible to buy chinos without the bloody 2% elastane stretchy stuff. They are dreadful and if one can't find trews to fit without all that elastic, well, I don't know what. Modern fashions blah blah... Nurse???

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    Indeed. It seems now impossible to buy chinos without the bloody 2% elastane stretchy stuff. They are dreadful and if one can't find trews to fit without all that elastic, well, I don't know what. Modern fashions blah blah... Nurse???
    Some confusion here - you've assumed that this is about adding stretch to cotton material, but in fact an elasticated waistband is quite different. It is an elasticated band incorporated in the garment below where a belt sits (if worn). It enables a perfect fit around the waist even if the exact size is slightly out.

The phrase 'the best thing since sliced bread' is much over-used; here it's spot on! There's no 'vibe' about it either - visually you can't tell whether someone else's trousers have an elasticated waist or not.

There are however some people who have preconceptions about them, they think it's not for the fashion conscious. Personally I couldn't care less.
    Last edited by TF23; 17th August 2022 at 23:09.

I've tried them all I think. The EO is by far the best I've found. The material is stretchy but very sturdy and doesn't stretch as much as thinner, cheaper ones and will never turn on the wrist when properly adjusted. I have probably 25+ nato straps that will never be worn again thanks to the EO straps.

The EO's are pricey but they will make them to your specification. If you want one long enough to wear without it covering the case back drop her a note when you order and specify you want it made as "old style for fixed bars". This one is made for my 7.25" wrist and will easily adjust at least 1/2" either way. The top photo was mistakenly taken without the metal security slider installed.

Master

Happy with mine, but quite pricey.
    I’d certainly consider an NDC or Watch Steward as an alternative in future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    If I don't want to spend EO money but want a great stretch strap on my 18mm PRS29am and 18mm smiths Navigator what's a good option? BTW, I also like the Watch Steward set up and have a 20mm one.

Quote Originally Posted by jason.humphrey.180 View Post
    If I don't want to spend EO money but want a great stretch strap on my 18mm PRS29am and 18mm smiths Navigator what's a good option? BTW, I also like the Watch Steward set up and have a 20mm one.
    Have a look at Luff straps
    They are nice for the money (not much, pretty cheap in comparison)

My 'Hook Strap' order from Nick Mankey arrived today - very pleased.

They're softer than any other variety I've tried, and the implementation is different but it works really well and means I can wear them as I wish. Metalwork's nicely finished, too.

I suspect they won't last as long as the Erika's, but time will tell. I'll miss the coloured centre stripes, but the stitch colour option is a nice touch.

Master
    Why not buy an 18mm Watch Steward?

Craftsman
    Why not buy an 18mm Watch Steward?
    They didn't used to do them in 18m. Looks like they now do as long as you're happy to have it in a plain colour (no stripe). Thanks Toddy. I'll look at Luff too.

Master
    They didn't used to do them in 18m. Looks like they now do as long as you're happy to have it in a plain colour (no stripe). Thanks Toddy. I'll look at Luff too.
    No problem mate, didn't realise they never used to do 18mm so thought it was a bit strange you were asking😁

My 'Hook Strap' order from Nick Mankey arrived today - very pleased.

They're softer than any other variety I've tried, and the implementation is different but it works really well and means I can wear them as I wish. Metalwork's nicely finished, too.

I suspect they won't last as long as the Erika's, but time will tell. I'll miss the coloured centre stripes, but the stitch colour option is a nice touch.

Looks nice that.
    Defo needs that touch of coloured stitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Looks nice that.
    Defo needs that touch of coloured stitch.
    Agreed, I wish he'd source some contrast-striped webbing, because these are great straps, very comfy yet hold well without feeling like a tourniquet.

To expand on this, I’m also a big fan of the Watch Steward straps, especially the ‘Minimalist Series’ that allows for less overlapping material on the north and south side of the wrist.
    Last edited by Redcoat; 21st August 2022 at 18:49.

Master
    Nick Mankey straps are my fave due to their comfort, value for money, and the minimal presence of the hardware. I need to order another, but at 8-10 weeks leadtime now plus delivery time from the US I'm having to look at alternatives sadly, as 3 months is a long time to be wating for a watch strap.

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    Nick Mankey straps are my fave due to their comfort, value for money, and the minimal presence of the hardware. I need to order another, but at 8-10 weeks leadtime now plus delivery time from the US I'm having to look at alternatives sadly, as 3 months is a long time to be wating for a watch strap.
    IME they are worth the wait, though I must get my finger out and order some of Watch Steward's take on the theme, as those do look very promising.

Just ordered one from Watch Steward - 22mm classic in Up In Smoke (Blue/Grey)

Will update once it lands.

Just ordered a couple from there as well - like I don't already have absurd numbers of straps...

Just ordered a couple from there as well - like I don't already have absurd numbers of straps...
    that's just one of the symptoms of the illness....

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Just ordered one from Watch Steward - 22mm classic in Up In Smoke (Blue/Grey)

Will update once it lands.

Arrived yesterday.
    Sort of Admiralty Grey. Brushed hardware seems good. Little bit of stitching for loops is simple but fine.

Nice and stretchy. Material is a touch on the thick side - but probably suits watch.
    Makes the watch head sit perfectly on the wrist.
    No complaints - but cannot compare to the EO etc.

Still not 100% confident on the way these close though! Clasp seems a bit pop-open-able

Last edited by notenoughwrists; 8th September 2022 at 13:02.

I've just written-up a 'group test' of Erika's vs. Nick Mankey vs. Watch Steward vs. Hawkrigger vs. Cheapestnatostraps vs. generic!

Ended-up being a tiny bit too long for here...

Craftsman
    Off the back of this thread, I bought an MN strap from Erika’s Originals. The strap fits well, except I struggle to actually put it on - it is very difficult to hook the clasp onto the buckle when the strap is on my wrist. I can hook it on before wearing the strap, but then I have to stretch the strap a lot to get it over my hand, and this tends to loosen the strap fitting in the process. What do other people do?