closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How's your grammar?

The current misuse of the words legitimate and aesthetic deeply annoys me.

The unprecedented misuse of the word 'unprecedented' in the last thirty months has had an unprecedented effect on me.
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    The unprecedented misuse of the word 'unprecedented' in the last thirty months has had an unprecedented effect on me.
    So are you saying the effect affected you?

It's not an affectation; its effect has affected me!
    Last edited by jwg663; 18th August 2022 at 16:15. Reason: Oh no - a grammatical error!
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Another awful Americanism, and used by my American daughter in law when we are in a restaurant. But she is in her own country so I grin and bear it.

What's worse is when Brits use American baseball terms, often seen on here, like, "step up to the plate", "touch base" etc etc.

Last but not least, the cringeworthy use of "guys". I'm afraid it seems to be ingrained over here now - probably too many lovers of that awful show "Friends".
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    In America, "guys" has been a commonly used word for at least 70 years, not unlike "lads" or "blokes."
    I know that Tom, being an aficionado of '40's film noir and I fully expect to hear when I'm in the US but it's when I hear Brits use it it just sounds cheesy and wannabe mid Atlantic.

Nothing wrong with lads, blokes, chaps, fellows or even geezers (different meaning in US obviously).
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    As an aside, Neil, have you tried any Ellroy books (if you like Noir and indeed reading)? His LA quartet are wonderful.
    Last edited by Bondurant; 18th August 2022 at 13:24.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    That was interesting, thanks (and I don't mean interesting as in 'Cool Story Bro"). It's made me think that my use of 'less' rather than 'fewer' stems from my engineering background; such as less than or greater than.
    I know the difference and the usage, however is we got rid of the word "fewer" and only used "less" for all applications, everyone would still understand exactly what you mean.

Do we need grammar for grammar's sake?

Blog Entries
    I was just reading a description of a series 1 Range Rover for sale on Ebay and thought of this thread for some reason.

Seller notes:

“This is a very rare Range Rover 1 series This is a full original jeep never had and work done to it only for mot it’s original like it come out off the show room inside and out Full service history and every mot and paperwork it’s ever had done It been in the family from day one Please take a look at the photos offIt stars and drives as it should with know faults There not one about that as original as this one Ofers around and over no time waster I no about these classic car and it worth every penny does need a tiny bit off work doing like head line and back window frame”

Someone on here?

I've got a name in mind...
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    As an aside, Neil, have you tried any Ellroy books (if you like Noir and indeed reading)? His LA quartet are wonderful.
    I think I've read them all!

They make great films as well - LA confidential is masterpiece of modern noir.
    Cheers,
    Neil.