closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: ‘Gritty’ feeling when using quickset date.

‘Gritty’ feeling when using quickset date.

Just wondering what would cause a ‘gritty’ feeling through the crown when changing the date over using the quickest date change? Can’t say I’ve ever noticed it before and the watch isn’t particularly old (about 3 years) and is barely worn. It’s a Muhle with a slightly modified Sellita sw200 movement.

I seem to recall talk of poorly lubricated movements escaping into the wild and manifesting in winding and setting grittiness, so could be that.

Could also be a previous owner setting the date during the 'no-no hours' either side of midnight, when damage can be caused to mechs.

Grand Master
    ETA 2824/Sellita SW 200 movements can suffer with stiff hand-winding and a feeling or grittiness when the reversers are sticking, but this is unrelated to any quickset date issues.

Using the quickset when the date change is between 12:00 and 02:00 won't damage the movement but the quickset will feel different and I definitely don't advise using the quickset this way.

Lack of lubrication to the date wheel teeth is the most likely cause of the date wheel feeling sticky as it turns over. It's a mistake to over-lubricate the date wheel teeth/date jumper but some lubrication is essential.

Journeyman
    Notchy wheel or lube would be my first guess. Sometimes these feelings come and go by themselves. I wouldn’t worry too much just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsmith1974 View Post
    Notchy wheel or lube would be my first guess. Sometimes these feelings come and go by themselves. I wouldn’t worry too much just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Watch problems don’t generally heal up like grazed knees!

Date wheel teeth can sometimes become slightly damaged but not badly enough to cause the wheel to stick, this usually happens when a quickset function is used whilst the date change is engaged either side of midnight. Plastic date wheels are particularly. However, the ETA/ Sellita movements don’t usually suffer these problems.

I strongly suspect the issue with the OPs watch us related to lubrication........or lack of. Several years ago I was advised by a repairer to lubricate the date wheel and jumper more generously than the ETA service data suggests. Over- lubrication is a mistake because the oil could creep onto the visible area of the wheel and cause staining, correct oiling of watches involves the use of tiny amounts of oil in the correct place, but insufficient lubrication will lead to problems. These issues arise with NOS watches and movements where the original lubricant has dried up.

Correcting a date change issue involves removal of the dial and hands together with partial strip-down of the movement, at this stage it makes sense to go the whole hog and fully service the movement unless its only a few months old.