closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tudor Ranger; talk to me.

Tudor Ranger; talk to me.

I have always missed my Rolex Explorer 214270 39mm, now it is discontinued and prices are circa £8k. I have seen images of the Tudor Ranger and at face value it looks like my next addition. I would very much welcome thoughts from anyone who has bought or tried one on. What is the build, fine detail, General feel and perceived quality like? T. I.A.

Master
    Tried one on a few weeks back, as it really appealed to me. Really well made, and a good looking thing, unfortunately for my tastes to small. If the Explorer 1 was the right size for you, can't see you being disappointed, given the relatively low cost in comparison. Problem seems to be getting them at the moment - most dealers have the dreaded "exhibition only" signs out on them!

Master
    Blog Entries

Just in case you haven't watched this review: https://youtu.be/lK9jN6oOXUk

He's quirky, but objective.

Well all I can say is that I really like mine. Seems a lot of watch for the money at RRP compared to others.
    It's just a matter of time...

I was lucky to pick up the 39mm below RRP near launch from my old local dealer before they retired - and I still enjoy it. The Tudor seems like great value, especially against grey prices. It's not an Explorer, but worth a punt.

Master
    Got one on the bracelet from Fraser Hart a couple of weeks after paying a 10 per cent deposit. Compared with my BB58 it’s a little bland. Nothing wrong with it, however the BB58 has more character.

Master
    I went to try one on at the AD as I have my Explorer on SC at the moment and thought the Ranger could be a great replacement and obviously significantly cheaper. I liked it, the fit was great and the bracelet was nice but overall left me a little cold. The dial was a little lacking and it didn't seem special in any way. Maybe Id feel differently after a few years without the Explorer but right now it seemed like a lot of money for an explorer style watch when there are other options significantly cheaper than the Tudor.
    I tried it at the Chelmsford Goldsmiths btw, Fraser Hart might have one too so maybe worth a visit.

I think a lot of the feeling about the Ranger boils down to whether you mind printed dials or whether you prefer your watch to have a bit of bling with applied white gold numerals. I've recently become a convert to printed dials. They used to leave me a bit cold but I've had a few now and I like the less blingy look.

Master
    I had a look at it at the airport but rather too small, like the small version of the IWC pilot's watch. The old one at 41mm remains far nicer IMO. I had one years ago but may need to source another before they all disappear.

New one looks to my eyes like a mid-sized version of the original as the dial itself is quite small, set in a case where they don't really seem to have shrunk the bezel in relative proportion.

^ current tz consensus is that 36mm is the new 42, please do not threaten the groupthink bubble

Quote Originally Posted by robinsongreen68 View Post
    ^ current tz consensus is that 36mm is the new 42, please do not threaten the groupthink bubble
    I quite agree and after owning a 214270 at 39mm and trying on the latest 36mm Explorer I found it to be a little effeminate and far too small for my 7.5 inch wrist size. But each to their own.

Thanks all for the replies. Point noted on the less blingy painted markers, but it seems like a great watch and I will definitely be visiting Chelmsford this week to try one on.

I really like it!

Recently got one in and I like it much more than I thought I would. Under the AD spotlights it looked really bland though, way better in natural light and on wrist

Thanks for all the replies. I popped in to Goldsmiths Chelmsford today and was far from disappointed. Needless to say, I am now a very happy owner of my first ever Tudor.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I popped in to Goldsmiths Chelmsford today and was far from disappointed. Needless to say, I am now a very happy owner of my first ever Tudor.
    Good choice! Like it. Enjoy wearing it.

Craftsman
    It’s a nice, reliable, functional watch. It does everything an Explorer can do (and perhaps more, if you consider the adjustable clasp). I bought one on opening day and it serves as the watch I use for holidays and activities. It’s dial and lack of polished elements is understated / boring. It’s value for money is fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

That’s sharp. Has a 1016 vibe to it. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried one on in Beaverbrooks in Chester last week. I wore my BB41 so I could compare because it was the watch I was going to replace with the new Ranger. That's what I thought before I saw it but I decided I liked my BB41 more and that the Ranger wasn't for me.

I've had the Ranger for nearly a month now and it has totally dispaced my BB Pro from my wrist. I love the simplicity of it.

I would definitely try one on. It’s nicer than I initially thought but I really don’t think it will do much to fill the hole your 39mm Explorer has left. The dial is incredibly flat and it ruins the watch for me.

The bracelet is lovely, but can’t really recommend it on that basis.

Craftsman
    I do like the look of the Ranger but at 39mm it looks too large for the dial size....if the watch was 36mm (the 1960s model was 34mm) instead, I think it would wear perfect where as the current 39mm looks like it would wear much larger (more 40mm/41mm) due to the empty space of the dial.

Tudor being Tudor, they may introduce a 36mm in the future which would be excellent.

Craftsman
    Depending on what your views on homage watches are this could be interesting

San Martin Ranger style

https://watchdives.com/collections/n...l-watch-sn0107