closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Seiko SBDX-001 owners (past/present)?

Any Seiko SBDX-001 owners (past/present)?

I've seen a Seiko SBDX-001, I really like the look of it. Unfortunately, I won't be able to view it before purchase.

I'm still relatively new to watch collecting, and it'll be the most expensive watch I've bought to date, so I was hoping for a summary of the good, bad and ugly?

I have a flat 7.5" wrist, so I'm not too worried about the size (maybe the 50mm lug to lug), but I have read Seiko bracelets are usually not great, even at Grand Seiko levels.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsan View Post
    I've seen a Seiko SBDX-001, I really like the look of it. Unfortunately, I won't be able to view it before purchase.

I'm still relatively new to watch collecting, and it'll be the most expensive watch I've bought to date, so I was hoping for a summary of the good, bad and ugly?

I have a flat 7.5" wrist, so I'm not too worried about the size (maybe the 50mm lug to lug), but I have read Seiko bracelets are usually not great, even at Grand Seiko levels.
    Def not the best bracelets at the price point, but I'd say their condemnation is over the top. The clasp is too thick imo. The thinness of the actual bracelet and long links looks quite cool. If you can't get on with it, then there are many NATOs and rubber options to suit.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Def not the best bracelets at the price point, but I'd say their condemnation is over the top. The clasp is too thick imo. The thinness of the actual bracelet and long links looks quite cool. If you can't get on with it, then there are many NATOs and rubber options to suit.

I take it that you've owned one?

Are there any other good/bad bits about the watch from your ownership?

Did you stick with the original strap?

Master
    I take it that you've owned one?

Are there any other good/bad bits about the watch from your ownership?

Did you stick with the original strap?
    I have mine on a Tropic rubber. Dark grey. It's an iconic original chunky diver. Tall but not got a huge footprint. It's monocoque for maximum protection but that makes the servicing more awkward, I believe, as everything has to come out the front of the watch. V legible, v durable. Struggle to fit under a cuff but with a sweater or t-shirt, lovely.

Had the SBDX001 and still own a SBDX012 which is in essence the same with the Diashield coating.

Flat 6.5” wrists and I thought it wore quite small given the dimensions, especially on the bracelet.

Stock bracelet does divide opinion but I actually quite liked it. Favoured it above the stock rubber and the aftermarket Strapcode offerings, the latter I found added to the overall weight and the clasp was particularly large. Micro adjustments on the fly were important especially in summer.

Ultimately only sold the 001 as I’m trying to avoid duplicates in the collection and thought it would be easier to replace than the 012 if I had any regrets.

I do miss it. The overall package just worked so well. Remains one of my favourites.

Downsides were the weight and height, but after a day or so I never really noticed. I was going to send mine to Japan for servicing and a case refinish. Never got a quote but understood it to be quite expensive so that may be a consideration.

I had a SBDX 023 and loved it so much I sold it and bought an SBDX 001.

I'm still waiting for it to come back from the Seiko UK service centre so I haven't had a chance to live with it properly yet. It's essentially the same case though.

I have a 7" wrist and was worried it might be too big, but the watch wears fine. It is chunky so you have to be in a chunky diver mood, but the monobloc case helps a lot of the dimensions disappear on the wrist.

I tried the 023 on an Uncle Seiko tyre tread rubber, the original Seiko waffle rubber and the bracelet. Again, it depends what mood you're in. I like the bracelet probably because it feels a bit cheap but is actually extremely comfortable and solid. I didn't notice the top heavy feeling that some mention.

I might try it on a NATO but I don't think it will work for me.

EDIT: It's actually RLE's 001 I bought from wileeeey. Seiko UK don't do finishing but the service is costing £350, so not cheap, but that should do it for the next 10 years. I prefer the case being a bit used, then I don't have to worry about wearing it.
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 13th August 2022 at 17:39.

I’ve had an SBDX001 since 2015 and as others have said, it wears small for its dimensions.
    Much preferred it on its original rubber strap to the bracelet but the Crafter Blue deployment I eventually bought was a game changer in terms of wearing it comfortably on my 6.5 inch wrist.
    I don’t wear it very often but I fall in love with it all over again when I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of all the watches I've sold an SBDX001 is the only one I'd replace, either directly or possibly with a different SBDX.

I wore mine soley on the bracelet, as has already been mentioned the (titanium) clasp is a bit chunky however the on-the-fly adjustment makes up for it IMO. Unlike many other adjustable clasps it's possible to lengthen/shorten it without the watch leaving your wrist. I loved the monocoque case, the lume was awesome and, on said bracelet, it was still comfortable despite the 200g weight sized to my wrist.

I love a lot about this watch - have bought it twice as a result.
    All of the above is good advice but personally, I found it far too heavy.
    I always new it was there clunking about.

Sold it twice as a result.

Gutted, as the styling is perfect IMO and I am a bit of a seiko fanboy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Blog Entries
    I’ve had 3 and I’m currently trying to find another one, the bracelet is shite and I will only wear it on a rubberB. Epic watches for the price point.

Master
    I took a punt on an SLA021 a couple of years ago. It came to me on the bracelet and as soon as I tried it on, thought I’d made a huge mistake, felt big and awkward.

Put it on rubber and it was transformed, loved it. For me, that type of chunky diver only works at its best on rubber of some sort. My SKX actually wears bigger although not as brick like.

Lovely watches and I do miss mine, it was very accurate and the lume is on another level.

Definite from me.

Thanks very much for the input gentlemen, it's put my mind at ease and given me some options on the bracelet if it does frustrate

I often wear G Shocks which are much larger but don't weigh nearly as much, and I wondered if the 20mm bracelet would be comfortable with circa 200g weight.
    Last edited by Kitsan; 13th August 2022 at 19:53.

Blog Entries
    Thanks very much for the input gentlemen, it's put my mind at ease and given me some options on the bracelet if it does frustrate

I often wear G Shocks which are much larger but don't weigh nearly as much, and I wondered if the 20mm bracelet would be comfortable with circa 200g weight.
    Out of interest is the one you are after at a dealer or an auction? I’m about to bid on one in an auction, hope we aren’t bidding against each other! Haha!

Quote Originally Posted by ditchvisitor View Post
    Out of interest is the one you are after at a dealer or an auction? I’m about to bid on one in an auction, hope we aren’t bidding against each other! Haha!
    I mean there's no shortage of SBDX-001, there are a couple I've seen in auctions that I have my eye on but also negotiating with a dealer on a BNIB for £2K. A good example seems to sell for about £1.7K currently, I'm in no massive rush.

I've owned around 12 SBDX001's since their initial production back in 2000 (and 17 MM300's in total since 2000). I don't own an SBDX001 at present but I always have an MM300 in my collection, as I do now.

They are fantastic watches. Yes, the bracelet is poor and some find the watch head a bit top heavy, but I like its weight. I always wear mine on a soft silicone strap.

It is the classic MM300 with its hand applied creamy lume, butter smooth crown action and a highly reliable 8L35 movement .

The insert does not have the best finish as it does mark up, and the bezel action (like most dive watches after a decade or so) becomes less resistant when it is turned due to natural wear, but the click spring is so simple to tweak or replace.

A bulletproof crown assembly too and a case that I enjoy giving a light refinish (with the proper brushed and polished surfaces) to get it looking as it should. No Diashield here.

Your wrist size of 7.5 inches is ideal.

Honestly, I'd take an MM300 over any modern dive watch for looks alone. I just love 'em.
    Last edited by j111dja; 13th August 2022 at 21:25.

I mean there's no shortage of SBDX-001, there are a couple I've seen in auctions that I have my eye on but also negotiating with a dealer on a BNIB for £2K. A good example seems to sell for about £1.7K currently, I'm in no massive rush.
    BNIB from when? They started production in 2001 I think, then discontinued in 2014/15.

Master
    I’ve had two SBDX001 models in the last couple of years and didn’t find them excessively large for my 6.5 inch wrist. The bracelet is functional. One detail that surprised me was just how small the dial appears to be for such an apparently big watch, though I suppose the large bezel causes that effect. I found them to be entirely comfortable on a Nato and they also go well with a silicone strap. The crown action was faultless on both of them. I think the third one that comes my way could well be a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    BNIB from when? They started production in 2001 I think, then discontinued in 2014/15.
    I didn't even think to ask to be honest, did they change the spec much in the lifetime of the model?

Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    I've owned around 12 SBDX001's since their initial production back in 2000 (and 17 MM300's in total since 2000). I don't own an SBDX001 at present but I always have an MM300 in my collection, as I do now.

They are fantastic watches. Yes, the bracelet is poor and some find the watch head a bit top heavy, but I like its weight. I always wear mine on a soft silicone strap.

It is the classic MM300 with its hand applied creamy lume, butter smooth crown action and a highly reliable 8L35 movement .

The insert does not have the best finish as it does mark up, and the bezel action (like most dive watches after a decade or so) becomes less resistant when it is turned due to natural wear, but the click spring is so simple to tweak or replace.

A bulletproof crown assembly too and a case that I enjoy giving a light refinish (with the proper brushed and polished surfaces) to get it looking as it should. No Diashield here.

Your wrist size of 7.5 inches is ideal.

Honestly, I'd take an MM300 over any modern dive watch for looks alone. I just love 'em.
    May I ask why you have had so many, why the turnover?

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    I’ve had two SBDX001 models in the last couple of years and didn’t find them excessively large for my 6.5 inch wrist. The bracelet is functional. One detail that surprised me was just how small the dial appears to be for such an apparently big watch, though I suppose the large bezel causes that effect. I found them to be entirely comfortable on a Nato and they also go well with a silicone strap. The crown action was faultless on both of them. I think the third one that comes my way could well be a keeper.
    Do you have any pics of your old ones at all?

Why did you decide to sell and what makes you want to buy again?
    Last edited by Kitsan; 13th August 2022 at 22:36.

May I ask why you have had so many, why the turnover?
    It's mainly to do with rearranging the collection based on a budget, so trying other watch brands when given the opportunity to do so. Having to sell to then buy. Of course, used prices have changed so much in 22 years as well.

I have more Seikos in my collection at present than any other brand based on personal choice and lots of nostalgia.

I have been addicted to Seiko's for four decades.

Yes, I have a WTB for an SBDX001 at present. That says a lot.
    Last edited by j111dja; 13th August 2022 at 22:21.

Blog Entries
    I’ve had a number of DSSDs and a Breitling Emergency so used to big watches, and for me this is the perfect size. It’s a great holiday watch too as flies under the radar unless you are a WIS.

Here’s my last one, it’s in a 22mm strap that you can squeeze in the lugs as it means the wider strap gives it a bit more balance.

I’ve also got a wtb up for an SBDX001!!

I didn't even think to ask to be honest, did they change the spec much in the lifetime of the model?
    Plenty of info about this on the internet, but I suspect you know this already.

I’ve had a number of DSSDs and a Breitling Emergency so used to big watches, and for me this is the perfect size. It’s a great holiday watch too as flies under the radar unless you are a WIS.

Here’s my last one, it’s in a 22mm strap that you can squeeze in the lugs as it means the wider strap gives it a bit more balance.

It's the only watch I take on holiday. It's perfect.

They are definitely under the radar unless a WIS spots it as you said.

I was in the airport check in queue at Corfu Airport last week. The guy in front of me couldn't keep his eyes off it. He had a titanium 300m Seamaster Chronograph on. One of the limited edition ETNZ models. Well, that 20 minute queue went quickly as you can guess where the conversation went.
    Last edited by j111dja; 14th August 2022 at 11:42.

Blog Entries
    It's the only watch I take on holiday. It's perfect.

They are definitely under the radar unless a WIS spots it as you said.

I was in the airport check in queue at Corfu Airport last week. The guy in front of me couldn't keep his eyes off it. He had a titanium 300m Seamaster Chronograph on. One of the limited edition ETNZ models. Well, that 20 minute queue went quickly as you can guess where the conversation went.
    I’ve had a couple of conversations about my old ones but it’s like my Heuer Bund, unless you are deep in rabbit hole of slightly less mainstream watches no one has a clue!

Just managed to pick an Isofrane off a wtb, now just need the watch!!

That is a seriously cool looking holiday watch.

I've had about 6 or 7, plus a host of the other variants. I love them so much that I keep trying to convince myself that they don't feel a tad too large for my wrist. Then I realise they do and the sell/miss/buy cycle starts all over again.

There's a lot of nonsense said/written about the bracelet, IMO. The quality is fine as it is, although the clasp is a bit clunky (I've usually swapped mine out for something simpler in SS from Harold or similar); also, the faceted end links make it appear that there are gaps when there most certainly aren't, despite the repeated comments to the contrary.

I do like it on the OEM rubber, too.

Master
    I went down this rabbit hole last year. I ended up with a mint 2017 version. If you are totally set on getting an early version get the best example that you possibly can as they can’t be refinished by Seiko- ie not a scratched dented version as they look shite serviced or not. You may pay a bit more but it’s more pleasing to look at everyday. One potential issue that did pop up was the screw down crowns can get knackered and can’t be repaired by Seiko . Might be wise to tread carefully on that one. Good luck with your search:) if you can get a NOS for 2k I’d buy it . I know I would.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Plenty of info about this on the internet, but I suspect you know this already.
    I know of the differences between SBDX001, SBDX003, SBDX017 and SBDX023 but I haven't seen any details on updates during the SBDX001 run.

Have you got any more photos of yours on that strap? It looks like it suits it really well.

What make/model of the strap too, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    I went down this rabbit hole last year. I ended up with a mint 2017 version. If you are totally set on getting an early version get the best example that you possibly can as they can’t be refinished by Seiko- ie not a scratched dented version as they look shite serviced or not. You may pay a bit more but it’s more pleasing to look at everyday. One potential issue that did pop up was the screw down crowns can get knackered and can’t be repaired by Seiko . Might be wise to tread carefully on that one. Good luck with your search:) if you can get a NOS for 2k I’d buy it . I know I would.
    That's a good shout on the screw-down crown, useful to know

I'm not really bothered by the age of the watch unless there's a particularly good reason to be, in terms of spec changes.

Blog Entries
    It’s a black 22mm Isofrane, this is one I have just bought for the new watch…

And some old pics, you can see it’s squeezed slightly in the lugs, however a 20mm looks too loose and also isn’t as balanced on the wrist.

The straps are super soft and really well made, I hate the standard waffle strap, it’s sooo hard.
    Last edited by ditchvisitor; 14th August 2022 at 15:05.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    That is a seriously cool looking holiday watch.
    I spotted it on his wrist within 0.29 of a second. It's a rather nice Omega. He says he never wears any of his Rolex's on holiday (and he had a few) so what a great choice. I still prefer my MM300 of course.

It depends on whether it's a later Diashield model or not. The SBDX001's (thankfully) never had Diashield.

I've refinished several of them. It's done properly of course, including the case back.

Master

Well if you can finish back to original standard you’ve jumped a hurdle already. I learnt my lesson with early 2000 motorbikes through the option of buying cheap and restoring……Well it worked out pointless and expensive. I sold and bought a mint version at top dollar but didn’t spend my life trying to make it something that it was not and never would be ….
    Anyway , I love an excuse to post a pic of my TL1000R ..9500 miles on the clock from new. Wish I’d purchased this years earlier than I did and saved myself the arse ache of chasing spares and resprayers over the U.K for a bag of shite that I sold and lost on. ….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 14th August 2022 at 16:12.

Well if you can finish back to original standard you’ve jumped a hurdle already. I learnt my lesson with early 2000 motorbikes through the option of buying cheap and restoring……Well it worked out pointless and expensive. I sold and bought a mint version at top dollar but didn’t spend my life trying to make it something that it was not and never would be ….
    Anyway , I love an excuse to post a pic of my TL1000R ..9500 miles on the clock from new. Wish I’d purchased this years earlier than I did and saved myself the arse ache of chasing spares and resprayers over the U.K for a bag of shite that I sold and lost on. ….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Being a motorcycle fanatic for 43 years, I can appreciate a classic and it's in the best colour scheme too.
    Last edited by j111dja; 14th August 2022 at 16:33.

Master

Anyway Op, sorry for going off on a self absorbed tangent:) buy the best example that you can would be my advice

Anyway Op, sorry for going off on a self absorbed tangent:) buy the best example that you can would be my advice
    I thought I had clicked on the wrong forum when I saw that Suzuki!

Anyway , I love an excuse to post a pic of my TL1000R ..9500 miles on the clock from new. Wish I’d purchased this years earlier than I did and saved myself the arse ache of chasing spares and resprayers over the U.K for a bag of shite that I sold and lost on.
    This and the VTR are two of the big icons in my mind when I think of motorcycles from back when I was too young to have one. Pre-Ruff Ryders and DMX anyway. It's what originally made me look at the TL1000 which then made me look at the SV650S. The Gladius that followed was an abomination.

Another bike which aged beautifully is the old VFR. First class.

Wore mine today after reading this thread, have to say it's a nice watch to wear, especially on the crafter blue in this weather.

I don't find it being top heavy, but it does have some heft to it in terms of thickness.

Oh, on the bike theme, I have to say I really enjoyed my VTR SP1&2 when I had them, though they've given way to an MV F4 now.
    Not sure what I prefer, I didn't worry half as much with the VTRs as I do about repair costs on the MV, kind of like the SBDX001. I baby my GS, but just enjoy wearing the SBDX.
    Last edited by Wyvern971; 15th August 2022 at 17:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvern971 View Post
    Wore mine today after reading this thread, have to say it's a nice watch to wear, especially on the crafter blue in this weather.

I don't find it being top heavy, but it does have some heft to it in terms of thickness.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app
    I've not had a Crafter Blue before, but I've found rubber straps to be quite sweaty in general, are the higher quality (expensive) straps like Crafter Blue and Isofrane better in this regard?

It's not so much that it's less sweaty, I haven't noticed a difference, but it's more the flexibility of the strap, I don't feel that it needs adjusting like a metal bracelet does when I go from outside to an air conditioned office.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Picked up an SBDX017 in the end, can’t wait to pair it up with the Isofrane and get it on the wrist.

Have a GL831 coming in the next few days from Uncle Seiko for the SLA021

Which size did you go for? I'd be very interested to see how it looks once you have fitted it

Picked up an SBDX017 in the end, can’t wait to pair it up with the Isofrane and get it on the wrist.
    Good man

The only size it takes...

The only size it takes...
    ditchvisitor mentioned squeezing a 22mm Isofrane on, I was wondering if it was common practice

ditchvisitor mentioned squeezing a 22mm Isofrane on, I was wondering if it was common practice
    Can't see that going well without some trimming.

Coincidentally have the same coming for mine. Been waiting for the short length 20mm to come back into stock. Have one on the 6309 and it’s extremely comfortable. Hoping the aesthetics work.......

Master
    One potential issue that did pop up was the screw down crowns can get knackered and can’t be repaired by Seiko . Might be wise to tread carefully on that one. Good luck with your search:) if you can get a NOS for 2k I’d buy it . I know I would.
    Agreed, forgot to mention this in my previous post. The crown thread on my SLA021 did have a more delicate feel to it, definitely not as robust as some of the Swiss lot. I was very careful to make sure the threads located properly.

Best method I found was to flip the watch upside down, wind slowly backwards until you can visually see and feel the the crown drop in to the thread tracks as you push against the spring, then slowly wind forwards to screw down, if it feels at all stiff or gritty, back off and start again. Just seemed to require a degree more care than others.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Can't see that going well without some trimming.
    It’s really easy and not a drama at all!

Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    Coincidentally have the same coming for mine. Been waiting for the short length 20mm to come back into stock. Have one on the 6309 and it’s extremely comfortable. Hoping the aesthetics work.......
    I've got the tyre tread strap from US so will have a go with that when I finally get the watch back.

It's ready to go but I'm on holiday so have to wait a couple of weeks

Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    Looks great but too small for me. Shame as I went in for two as I was so sure and could use one on the MM200 too.

Both ends are shorter but the 12 o'clock side is very short, probably 3 holes. 6 o'clock is only two holes shorter which is bang on imo but 5 holes short total is too small for me.

If the 12 o'clock side wasn't shorter it would have been perfect.