closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Travelling with more that one Watch

Craftsman

Travelling with more that one Watch

Looking for a bit of advice regarding taking more that just one watch when travelling abroad. I have never usually taken more than a single watch when travelling so I was wondering how you chaps do this etc.

I have quite a few decent single watch travel cases so protection is not an issue, my question would be, do put your additional pieces in your flight bag or stored in your suitcase and are there any issues that I would need to be aware of that would come with either choice.

thanks.

I always take mine in my hand luggage. Likewise everything else reasonably valuable such as my camera.

Suitcases can get lost or stolen from by baggage handlers.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    Cheers Andy, I just had thoughts of foreign customs on airport arrival going through your belongs and seeing multiple watches, then attempting to charge you import tax on each piece etc.

Master
    UK watch insurance usually only provides cover for one watch - you need to check your policy to be certain.

Recently traveled to Greece for a ten-day holiday and took a total of four watches in my hand luggage. No questions asked at either end of my journeys both to and from Greece.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I usually take 2-3 inc Seiko and G-Shock but hand luggage only.

Wouldn't dream of putting them in the hold.

Craftsman
    thanks guys, I am only planning on taking one other watch, so wear one and one in my hand luggage (which def sounds like the safer option)....I was just going to take a GMT but wanted something a little dressier as well to give me options.

Master
    I’d never leave anythiNG valuable in my suitcase. I’d always want it with me.

Just a thought in case it was two Rolex watches you were thinking of taking and going to the USA - I’ve got a feeling it was illegal to take two into their country. Not sure if that’s still the case, but there was some weird rule about it.

I travel abroad on an almost weekly basis (work), always with a second watch in tow (use a cheap watch roll, nothing fancy) - but definitely hand luggage (as been mentioned). Then again, mine aren't anything super expensive of recognisable. Pack the cheaper watch away, wear the expensive one.

Blog Entries

These days I only ever take 2 - one for out & about & one for pool / sea.

Long gone are the days diving off the jetty wearing my Hulk …

Bah!

z
    Last edited by zelig; 12th August 2022 at 18:59.

I usually take 2, a G shock and something nice. I keep the nice watch in some kind of protective case in a backpack that never leaves me.

If there is going to be a scanner, such as at an airport, I wear the G Shock. Whenever I try and place the nice watch carefully on something soft in the scanning tray, it always comes out on its side at the edge of the plastic tray. I know it sounds stupid, but if I get a scratch that way I’ll go bonkers!

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tend to take 3 or 4, nothing very valuable and stick them inside socks in the case. Not that I wear the socks with sandals, of course, but, nice to have some for the evenings...

Master
    I only ever take one, with decent WR. I then throw a g-shock or Garmin in my hand luggage in case something happens to my ‘wearer.’ (I couldn’t last without wearing a watch!)

Quote Originally Posted by Planet Ocean View Post
    are there any issues that I would need to be aware of that would come with either choice.

thanks.
    With me usually taking a few watches, I tend to find that overall weight of my combined haul of watches for the trip is something I take into consideration. My go to travel watch list for hot countries always consists of a Casio Oceanus OCW-S100, a G Shock usually a DW5600e for anything the holiday throws at it and then two nicer pieces one on a NATO strap with a few extra straps so I can mix the look up. All of these are held together in a leather watch roll, job done. I find this arrangement works for me and keeps the weight down in my hand luggage.

Master
    Definite no no for a Hulk based on where you are on holiday at the moment :)

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    These days I only ever take 2 - one for out & about & one for pool / sea.

Long gone are the days diving off the jetty wearing my Hulk …

Bah!

z

I use an old service case and *always* put whatever I'm taking with me in my hand luggage, the dilemma is deciding upon which watches to take

I took 4 on my holiday. Wore the 2 expensive ones and had the other 2 in hold luggage (Marathon Navigator and Moonswatch). Though I would consider putting them all in hand luggage next time because hold luggage does go missing. And in fact on arrival at Naples one poor person had the contents of their case appear on the conveyor, but not the actual case!

Master

When I was working I frequently travelled to Italy. Usually took two watches. One in a service case in my hand luggage. Never an issue.

Why would anyone ever consider putting a watch in their checked luggage ffs? Or anything else of significant value for that matter?

Last trip to the US our luggage didn’t get loaded at Heathrow. Eight days later it was delivered to my Sons apartment in Irvine. Eight frigging days!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    Definite no no for a Hulk based on where you are on holiday at the moment :)
    Yup. Hence, I’m here with 2 beaters.

The Hulk is a bit of a no no for work too - as I’m around London. So it’s seldom worn these days.

z

As part of my "travel light" philosophy I've only ever travelled with one watch at a time, whichever watch I took I always used to wear it but always had butterflies seeing the watch disappearing through the x-ray scanner, these days whichever I'm taking now goes in hand luggage until I'm on the plane.
    Last edited by number2; 13th August 2022 at 14:04.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

This summer’s holiday duo…mostly wearing the Ranger but also have the mini turtle for scuba/canoeing/beach days. Spare natos in case needed (they weren’t).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    As part of my "travel light" philosophy I've only ever travelled with one watch at a time, whichever watch I took I always used to wear it but always had butterflies seeing the watch disappearing through the x-ray scanner, these days whichever I'm taking now goes in hand luggage until I'm on the plane.
    One watch for me also although I was surprised to be told at the airport last month that I only needed to remove my watch if it was ‘smart’ and as a result kept it on my wrist the whole time…

Master
    My holiday watch - CWC 83 - will finally be going on holidays this year. It will be one watch, two straps, a NATO and a single pass leather. One for the sea and one for the evenings.

I usually take my watch off before security and place in my rucksack in a case. At security, I then loop my belt through my rucksack carry handle and loop through with another carry on bag. It’s not apparent when the bags are in a tray. I think it makes it more difficult to walk away with a bag when its connected to another.

Master
    For me the issue is also one of keeping safe the watch that you're not wearing whilst at your accommodation. Somehow I don't trust hotel room safes.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

I always take a square, six-watch, zip-up thing:

One Rolex 14060M Sub

One Doxa Sub 300

One Siduna Compax chrono

One Seiko Tuna

One Seiko Turtle

One CWC RN Diver

One CWC SBS Diver

One CWC G10 Sapphire

Ready for action! Obviously one of those will be on my wrist for the journey, and the G10 just squeezes into the same slot as the RN Diver

I take my spare watch in hand luggage, well hidden. I still take my Hulk on every holiday, it looks great in the sun.

Journeyman
    Normally take 2 watches on holiday. Pool/beach watch and and a better one for the evening. But like others have said always vigilant at airport when using the scanner. Ever take my best watches as too feared something happens…lol

Quote Originally Posted by MintG View Post
    Recently traveled to Greece for a ten-day holiday and took a total of four watches in my hand luggage. No questions asked at either end of my journeys both to and from Greece.

I did exactly this a couple of weeks ago, same destination too!
    I always carry them with me in hand luggage.

I used to take a couple of watches with me when I went away but for the last 7/8 years I have suck to taking just one. It’s quite refreshing, for the rest of the year I change my watch daily, meaning they have to be wound, set etc.
    Throwing on my holiday watch which is a Seiko kinetic gmt tuna is a nice change, no worrying about it in my bag, nor pondering what to wear, no fuss around setting it
    It must be what normal people feel like.
    The watch also has lots of fond memories attached to it now. It’s been with me in all sorts of scrapes and interesting situations and has the marks to prove it. I can’t see me returning to taking a selection of watches away with anymore.

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the great advice chaps, I was going to wear my BB58 but decided against it so I am taking my Steinhart Ocean 39 GMT 500 and my Smiths Everest 36mm in my hand luggage....better leaving my more expensive pieces at home I think.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andyd30 View Post
    One watch for me also although I was surprised to be told at the airport last month that I only needed to remove my watch if it was ‘smart’ and as a result kept it on my wrist the whole time…
    Occasionally I’ll remove my watch and put it in a zipped pocket in a jacket or hand luggage.

Mostly I wear it all of the time and if I get asked to remove it cos it’s set the scanner off I refuse point blank and tell them they can get their wand to scan it. This hasn’t happened for several years tbf.

Master
    Taking two watches? Easy - one per wrist. I don't take them off for the x-Ray machine or metal detector arch either - just explain politely to the security guys that I never take them off for reasons of security. I've not often had a problem with that.

If taking more than two the other(s) go in hand luggage - never hold luggage, unless you want to lose them.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Taking two watches? Easy - one per wrist. I don't take them off for the x-Ray machine or metal detector arch either - just explain politely to the security guys that I never take them off for reasons of security. I've not often had a problem with that.

If taking more than two the other(s) go in hand luggage - never hold luggage, unless you want to lose them.
    I try keep mine thru airport security too,but if they do say remove the watch "your reasons mean nowt".

On occasion going thru security for work ive been asked to remove,not often,more down to either the buzzer going off or the over zealous security person.I can refuse but id not be going anywhere until I did as asked.
    But id always prefer to keep with me,more so if something of high value.

So queues at security are down to precious TZers?

Master
    I usually take 2-3 one on my worst and two in pouches in hand luggage. Not had any issues
    touch wood with my YM, TG sub or z blue on travels, in Italy or Denmark.
    Strangely enough I get more question's about my yellow OP and people asking to take a photo for instagram l. Why oh I find very strange but each to their own.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Sadly I too am at the hands of security.I fuel the aircraft and its a real pain for me getting thru security!.

Master
    I just took a G-Shock on my holiday this year. Usually take a couple, with one in a service case always in hand luggage.
    Flying out, my cases were delayed this year in transit; they arrived 10 hours later than I did. When I collected them, Customs and god knows who else had rifled through them. I shudder to think what would have happened to any watch I had put in there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Surely all those with multiple high value watches will be in Business Class or 1st Class and skip the queues with their dedicated security lane

Journeyman
    I always used to take a couple in my hand luggage and wear one. On a recent trip to Rome and Sorrento I decided to just take one watch. Lucky I did as had my rucksack stolen whilst distracted for a few mins in Rome train station. In previous trips that would have been a very painful experience (fairly painful anyway with stolen passports). The experience has left me likely to only ever travel with one watch again. Be careful if you do travel with watches in your hand luggage. There are many opportunists out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Planet Ocean View Post
    Looking for a bit of advice regarding taking more that just one watch when travelling abroad. I have never usually taken more than a single watch when travelling so I was wondering how you chaps do this etc.

I have quite a few decent single watch travel cases so protection is not an issue, my question would be, do put your additional pieces in your flight bag or stored in your suitcase and are there any issues that I would need to be aware of that would come with either choice.

thanks.
    I put all valuables in a smaller carry on bag. Usually a backpack that will fit under the seat. Medication, toiletries, jewelry, camera, critical work documents, media, etc. and a change of clothes in case everything else is lost and it takes me a day or so to get some replacements. Most of the time I don’t check any bags and just take a backpack and an Away suitcase.
    If I’m going to just stay at a big resort with maybe a couple group trips, fishing, etc., I usually just take the Rolex as it can take anything I throw at it and will be safe on the wrist. If I’m going off the grid, extensive travel, hiking, trains and cabs, exploring cities, etc., I take a Casio G shock and another piece of modest value, but still some horological interest. Lately that’s been the Hamilton mechanical field watch with the brown face, with a 2nd strap for double duty. That can hold up to dinners, work functions, etc. without any attention, while the G is good for the ocean/pool/???.
    I don’t put them in any special travel cases, maybe wrap in a microfiber cloth.

Wear them both while travelling....

Me, I usually only have beaters and take a couple if I leave on long vacations, just in case one breaks or I get bored. And yes, I keep them in my hand luggage.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Not that I travel much, but I only ever travel with one ‘do it all’ watch, usually a Seiko diver. The thought of travelling with more would add to my travel anxiety.

Tbh this holiday (first outside the UK since the pandemic) I decided to not bother.. got a phone if I really needed to know the time.

But laying by the pool browsing SC I ended up buying one 😂.

If I had any with me - always kept in handluggage - and either worn through security or
    left in the hand luggage with my phone/wallet etc.

cheers

matt

Apprentice
    Used to only take one watch but on my trip last month to Santorini took my DateJust for evenings and Scurfa for sea and pool.
    Perfect combo in my opinion.

I don’t holiday anywhere that has a dress code beyond shorts and flip flops so find my Damasko diver the ideal one-watch companion.
    I also wear it through security and struggle to recall it ever being an issue.