closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are your thoughts on Walt Watches?

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    That's interesting - what model is it?
    It is the original Riseman DW-9100PJ-7 USA Parachute Association model. It is a Japan only model and therefore not seen too much in the West.

Mitch

Until I saw this thread I'd never heard of a "Walt' and couldn't even find out what one was by doing an online search. After half a dozen posts on this thread I started to work out what it means.

I wouldn't for a second think that the CW watch in the OP is in any way 'Walt' related. It's a watch that's celebrating a particular 'brand'. No different in my opinion to a Citizen 'Red Arrows' watch or even a watch with the 'RNLI' on the dial (although with the latter the profits might be going to the RNLI charity)

I must admit that I do find it a little odd that some people collect watches that are only available to military personnel initially but that's their choice and the military don't do themselves any favours by selling on their old watches to the general public when a new version is released. If it's important to someone that only certain personnel wear certain items then why not keep them? Occasionally there are extenuating circumstances such as being destitute but the majority of the time these items are sold on by people with a solid financial base.

I do also find it interesting that some members of the military (not all) have a problem with others wearing certain military clothing. Medals are a different matter and directly impersonating a member of the military at a military event is obviously a common sense no-no but something like a tie I don't have any issues with at all. I find it strange that people would have no problem with someone dressing up as a member of the fire service even to the extent of being strippers yet wearing a military watch or tie is somehow a major problem.

curiously, a relative of mine that I have a lot of respect for was awarded multiple medals in WWII yet I never saw him wear them once in my lifetime (he'd left the service by the time I was born). Make of that what you will.

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    curiously, a relative of mine that I have a lot of respect for was awarded multiple medals in WWII yet I never saw him wear them once in my lifetime (he'd left the service by the time I was born). Make of that what you will.
    My grandad was the same, he never wore the medals or took part in remembrance days to my knowledge.

I remember him showing me a photograph of his squadron as I was talking to him about the world at war series on TV, he said something along the lines of half of the men in this photo didn't see the end of the war. I can't remember him ever talking about the war again or before, I suppose he had his own way of dealing with it.

Same for my dad. He was in the Royal Navy, hardly ever spoke about the war. I know he ended up as a Chief Petty Officer.

I think he felt a bit guilty as he got shore leave to marry my mum and whist he was away his ship was sunk.

I don't think he kept his medals, after he died I emptied the house but there was no sign of any medals.

Mitch

A "Walt" is someone who has not read James Thurber's 1939 New Yorker short story:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1...-james-thurber

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Same for my dad. He was in the Royal Navy, hardly ever spoke about the war. I know he ended up as a Chief Petty Officer.

I think he felt a bit guilty as he got shore leave to marry my mum and whist he was away his ship was sunk.

I don't think he kept his medals, after he died I emptied the house but there was no sign of any medals.

Mitch
    My father came from an impoverished background and joined the navy to get 3 square meals a day. He fought in WW11 and took part in the raid on St Nazaire which was the topic of a programme by Jeremy Clarkson. He would talk loosely about the war but could never be drawn into discussing any detail and made it clear it was off the agenda.

I entered the work place as an apprentice toolmaker in 1965 and was taught by older guys, most of whom who fought in the war. It was the same thing, they just did not want to talk about it.

Hence they were often called the silent generation.

I served for over 30 years and couldn't care less if people want to wear a military unit themed watch. Wearing medals you're not entitled to is a very, very different matter though...

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post

Mitch
    Similar with my Dad.

Got injured and hospitalised in Naples, his ship sailed (LST 405) so he had to join 367. 405 was sunk later.

My Dad's medals are framed and on my living room wall. I have all of his cap tallies, bosun's pipes and pennants too.

Also have my Great Grandfathers death penny from WWI framed and on the wall.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by williemays View Post
    A "Walt" is someone who has not read James Thurber's 1939 New Yorker short story:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1...-james-thurber
    Thank you, now I'm a "Walt" no more.