closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are your thoughts on Walt Watches?

What are your thoughts on Walt Watches?

So I fancied a carbon fibre watch and the Christopher Ward C63 Colchester looked a good shout for the money... until I saw the back...

Leaving aside I associate Colchester with STDs and the glass house - the back was just a no-no for me and would feel a real Walt.

What is your position on this stuff? Not at all? OK if it's discreet? Perfect that it says SAS in neon letters on the dial?

That one would be better without but it's black on black and on the back so a pass from me.

A nato or a bit of light sanding would solve the problem :)

The royal marines citizen from a few years ago with the dial branding would be a no.

Bemont's HMAF is a middle ground in that it doesn't really mean anything to anyone as far as i'm aware, made up for the watch.

Sinn's GSG9? A bit far for my taste.

Squale's Marine Militaire? I don't mind that weirdly

Marathon's US Government? Nope

I've realised recently though I obsess over details that no one outside of people on this fourm or WUS would even consider.

No one in my day to day life gives a single **** about watches or anything that might appear on a watch (unless it says rolex), nor do they want to know anything about them.

YMMV

Personally, I dislike anything like that unless you have good reason to wear it. More specifically, for active units and insignias.
    If you wear some former issued kit from the past, - on old G10 or broad arrow diver etc - obviously just as a military fan or whatever, that seems more understandable.

If you are OK with it, and not telling people down the pub that you were the second man in through the embassy window, then no dramas I guess. Just a bit odd.

My view may be skewed as I am ex-army, incl. para reg, and know what it takes to be able to wear those wings - and I know plenty of less reasonable chaps who would happily chin someone for blagging it (not saying you are, just general comment towards Walts) - but in the case of that watch, assuming insignia is only on the case back, then whatever you are OK with.

If we met and you showed me the watch, I would defo be thinking it was a bit Walt, no matter what reason you had for buying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 12th August 2022 at 17:04.

I'm still waiting for the Hereford model. Only problem is, what colour?
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries
    Massive no for me.
    Cant understand why anyone not associated would want to wear that.

Master
    I've never been in the armed forces and I'd certainly feel embarrassed to have something like that on the dial of the watch. For the same reason, I'd never have one of those Citizens with ROYAL MARINES COMMANDO on the dial.

But on the caseback? No, I wouldn't be bothered. The Parachute Regiment has nothing to do with me but it's just a caseback.

I was going to say a straight no, and then thought a bit more about it.

Is there a difference between Parachute Regiment on that caseback, and W10/6BB/0552 on an ex-issue watch? I think there is, but it's a fine line as both are things I've never been part of.

I think that I wouldn't wear a watch that was a special commission by a regiment etc as something for themselves, but I'm OK with wearing an ex-issue watch.

Personally I'd never wear a watch with anything on the dial, but think it's probably OK on the caseback.

I’ve never been in the military but I’m not sure I understand why it’s substantially different to wearing an issued CWC or something with a broad arrow on it.

I wouldn’t wear any of them as I don’t like the look but it’s just a watch, not a military medal. Who cares? Why do you need to earn the right to wear it? At worst it’s paying tribute to a group of people. I imagine the paras have done and seen much worse things to get worked up over.

If it's the right watch, and the 'branding' is discrete - like the CW - then I can live with it. I'd kind of prefer it wasn't there, but it wouldn't stop me buying - and that watch looks a good value proposition, carbon cases are a delight to wear.

I've got a couple of MWCs that I love and get lots of wear out of, but the whole brand is one big Walt-out: I DGAF! They make some watches no-one else does, nicely put-together, and at great prices with good customer service.

My Nite 'Hawk' is pretty cringey in terms of marketing, but it's a bloody good after-dark watch, and that's what I bought it for.

I'd like to try CWC G10 when a cheap, scruffy one comes-up - again, not gonna lose sleep if some bell thinks it's a pose.

A watch only has to please You - to hell with other-people's opinions - those are like a***holes... . . .

Not for me.

I was never in the military or ever wanted to be so it is not something I would be interested in.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    No. I dont like anything commando navy seals bla bla.
    Im a fat lass in the north, not Rambo.

Master
    Until I joined this forum I wasn't aware of the term Walt and I've still never met one in real life. It is really a thing outside of watch forums? The watch the OP posted isn't for me, but I say let people wear what they want. It is also approved by The Parachute Regiment: https://www.christopherward.com/loup...y-for-anything

I wonder why you'd put a solid caseback on top of a display one...?

In this case, if I liked the watch, I could live with the caseback.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

No as I've never served in any of the forces, and in the same vein I won't wear a pilots or astronauts chronograph as I'm neither a pilot or astronaut.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    Until I joined this forum I wasn't aware of the term Walt and I've still never met one in real life. It is really a thing outside of watch forums?
    The term is not from watch forums - it's from military forums where they identify and post about people who claim to have done service they haven't.

https://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Category:Infamous_Walts

Until I joined this forum I wasn't aware of the term Walt and I've still never met one in real life. It is really a thing outside of watch forums? The watch the OP posted isn't for me, but I say let people wear what they want. It is also approved by The Parachute Regiment: https://www.christopherward.com/loup...y-for-anything
    Certainly it is.

Any number of "Walts" have been featured in the news for being seen in Remembrance parades etc wearing medals they got from ebay etc etc and some ex forces chaps like to unmask these fantasists.

I remember as a boy we had to attend a wedding and as the only tie I had was my school one my Dad let me pick one from his collection.

I spotted a natty Navy blue number and picked it up but my dear old Dad said, "you can't wear that you are not entitled to it" - It was his RN tie.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    The term is not from watch forums - it's from military forums where they identify and post about people who claim to have done service they haven't.

https://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Category:Infamous_Walts
    Everyday is a school day. Thanks. I'm enjoying going through the list.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Its a contraction of Walter Mitty - https://www.britannica.com/topic/Walter-Mitty
    Average Joe who spends his life daydreaming about being a hero.

WTF you'd want to buy a military-branded watch when you're just a pleb who hasn't served is beyond me. Military edition / branded watches should be restricted to those who served.

I suppose if someone bought it to help support the regiment in some way, maybe part of the sale value of the watch went to a related charity?

What about the CWC SBS and CWC RN300? I think a lot of people just buy those because they like the way it looks.

I was going to ask something similar about those that buy "issued" watches?

Perhaps a bit different?

I supposed those that buy Ferrari (or Ruf) watches without owning / ever having owned the car are definitely Walts?
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Or those who buy airline cargo watches.

Currently serving and have no problem with people being interested in, and buying these products. If you collect this...why not, what's wrong with it? That watch is 'inspired by' the Paras, not awarded for any achievement like a red beret with cap badge.

"Walting" is dressing up in medals you didn't earn or wearing a uniform you weren't entitled to. This is just buying a branded product.
    Last edited by Christian; 12th August 2022 at 15:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Currently serving and have no problem with people being interested in, and buying these products. If you collect this...why not, what's wrong with it?

"Walting" is dressing up in medals you didn't earn or wearing a uniform you weren't entitled to.
    Don't spoil all the Karens getting offended on the part of others with the voice of reason!

Case closed, I think.

M

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Don't spoil all the Karens getting offended on the part of others with the voice of reason!

Case closed, I think.

M
    Karens? Offended? Case closed because someone who's serving has spoken?

Mind you dont get polish on your nose.

What about the people who buy Omega 007 models who’ve never played Bond?

Master
    If you like the watch itself, wear what you want I say. It doesn't actually say "I served in the military" or anything like that. It's entirely possible to support a group of people without being part of it yourself. Much like we all wear 300m divers without ever stepping in foot in water eh ;)

Master
    Currently serving and have no problem with people being interested in, and buying these products. If you collect this...why not, what's wrong with it? That watch is 'inspired by' the Paras, not awarded for any achievement like a red beret with cap badge.

"Walting" is dressing up in medals you didn't earn or wearing a uniform you weren't entitled to. This is just buying a branded product.
    Life is always complicated. You need the Queens permission to wear a medal. Therefore a medal collector cannot wear any of his collected medals and neither can I wear my fathers medal that he was awarded in WW11. Therefore you can only wear a medal that was presented to you and that makes it a badge of honour.

However you can wear a military uniform as long as you do not intend to deceive anyone that you are currently serving.

I don't even think there are any rules on watches.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Karens? Offended? Case closed because someone who's serving has spoken?

Mind you dont get polish on your nose.
    Mmmm...

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk

Blimey!

I never realised that when posting about these watches, people on here were discovering that I had flown with the Blue Impulse and Thunderbirds aerial display teams.

Good job I kept up with my parachute training!

Mitch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Life is always complicated. You need the Queens permission to wear a medal. Therefore a medal collector cannot wear any of his collected medals and neither can I wear my fathers medal that he was awarded in WW11. Therefore you can only wear a medal that was presented to you and that makes it a badge of honour.

However you can wear a military uniform as long as you do not intend to deceive anyone that you are currently serving.

I don't even think there are any rules on watches.
    Mick, you can wear your fathers medals as long as you wear them on your right chest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    Mick, you can wear your fathers medals as long as you wear them on your right chest.
    Remembrance Day only.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Remembrance Day only.
    I queried this with a military dept when my father died in 1973. I worked for the MOD back then. I was told don't even think of wearing it. It looks like the rules have been modified.

I could never wear them, it would just seem wrong.

Never the less, thanks for the update.
    Last edited by Mick P; 12th August 2022 at 19:13.

I have no issue buying a issued watch but would not buy a watch that has a crest or badge of a unit I have not served with. I don’t see the attraction.
    I realise others would not buy an issued watch so there are all shades of grey where this is concerned.

Master
    Remembrance Day only.
    No hard and fast rule. For example if a son or daughter wore their fathers medals at his funeral etc. IMO of course

Like a lot of things, common sense applies. If it feels wrong, it probably is.

Same and totally agree with this. It’s not remotely Walt behaviour.

Surely this is about brand alignment where the manufacturer wishes to align and associate their product with the values and traditions of the armed forces. If the armed forces brand has this positive resonance then it can only be a good thing for the long term.

In no way though does this mean the people buying them are impersonating Paras.

I currently have a WTB for a JLC MC Navy SEALs Dive watch even though I’m not a SEAL and never had anything to do with them. I just like the watch. Does that make me a wannabe Walt? No more than my wearing my Speedie would have offended a NASA employee.

If you like the watch OP, crack on and buy it.

No hard and fast rule. For example if a son or daughter wore their fathers medals at his funeral etc. IMO of course

Current MoD guidance:

If you are the next of kin of a deceased service person, it is common practice to wear your relative’s decorations and medals as a mark of remembrance. It is custom to wear medals on the right breast in civilian dress only, official approval is not required to wear relative’s medals.

Current serving personnel should not wear relative’s medals or unofficial medals whilst wearing uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    … and neither can I wear my fathers medal that he was awarded in WW11. Therefore you can only wear a medal that was presented to you and that makes it a badge of honour.

Although strictly correct that awarded medals only be worn by the individual who received them, it has become accepted practice (since WW1) that initially widows, and more commonly now direct family members, can wear them on the right breast.
    The RBL have a policy on it, and other than for certain official positions in parades, wearing of family medals on the right breast is accepted.

So you should wear them mate, in my opinion.

Edit - Top Time has it bob on too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 12th August 2022 at 19:56.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    What about the people who buy Omega 007 models who’ve never played Bond?
    But who amongst us hasn't been to the LOO? That handy reminder on the seconds hand.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Blimey!

I never realised that when posting about these watches, people on here were discovering that I had flown with the Blue Impulse and Thunderbirds aerial display teams.

Mitch
    That's interesting - what model is it?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I have no problem with military issued watches, in most cases apart from which service they were issued to very little else is known about the watch. I don’t really like the commutative type watches with specific units etc on them and agree they should only be worn by those who served in them.

I did work in the MoD for 34 years, so if they ever do a watch with a crest that contains a pen, a briefcase and a travel and subsistence claim form I shall buy one and wear it with pride.

To those who are totally against all of these watches, how many of you would turn down that wonderful Milsub that Mike Wood sold the other week if it was offered for free. Sorry Mike, I couldn’t possibly, I was never a Navy diver.

I read here https://www.britisharmedforces.org/other/other_faq.htm though I guess not necessarily authoritative.

When is OK to wear my relatives medals ?
    War medals and service decorations of any sort may be worn only by the person upon whom they were conferred, and in no case does the right to wear war or service medals, or their ribbons, pass to any relative when the recipient is dead. Modifications of the above rule are permitted in connection with Remembrance Day, when relatives who desire to avail themselves, on those days only, of the distinction of wearing the decoration and medals of deceased relatives, they may do so, wearing them ON THE RIGHT BREAST.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I have no problem with military issued watches, in most cases apart from which service they were issued to very little else is known about the watch. I don’t really like the commutative type watches with specific units etc on them and agree they should only be worn by those who served in them.

I did work in the MoD for 34 years, so if they ever do a watch with a crest that contains a pen, a briefcase and a travel and subsistence claim form I shall buy one and wear it with pride.

To those who are totally against all of these watches, how many of you would turn down that wonderful Milsub that Mike Wood sold the other week if it was offered for free. Sorry Mike, I couldn’t possibly, I was never a Navy diver.
    Sorry Mike, I couldn't possibly, I can't swim.

Blog Entries

They're Walt watches.

(as opposed to issued watches which is a different ball game)
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Top-Time View Post
    Current MoD guidance:

If you are the next of kin of a deceased service person, it is common practice to wear your relative’s decorations and medals as a mark of remembrance. It is custom to wear medals on the right breast in civilian dress only, official approval is not required to wear relative’s medals.

Current serving personnel should not wear relative’s medals or unofficial medals whilst wearing uniform.
    Thanks for the clarification, pretty much what I said then. A sign of remembrance can be at any time, not just on Remembrance Day. I have unfortunately attended a number of military funerals and have seen widows and kids wearing medals of the fallen, and can think of nothing more appropriate.

Master
    I read here https://www.britisharmedforces.org/other/other_faq.htm though I guess not necessarily authoritative.
    Thanks, that’s interesting. Doubt anyone would call anyone out as long as they were on the right side.

I’m still waiting for a watch that commemorates ex TA Cheshire Regiment members who got their front teeth smashed during a company bar drinking game.

Master
    Who wears a diver's watch when they're not a diver?

Who wears a pilot's watch when they're not a pilot?

Who wears an astronaut's watch when they're not an astronaut?

Who wears a tool watch when they're not a tool?

Choose what you like, wear what you like, enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I'm still waiting for the Hereford model. Only problem is, what colour?
    I made 70 last year for a special division based there. I didn't see any boat houses when I delivered them.

Quote Originally Posted by PIERS (UK) View Post
    I made 70 last year for a special division based there. I didn't see any boat houses when I delivered them.
    It was camouflaged.