closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luxury watch prices plummet on weak Chinese consumer confidence

Luxury watch prices plummet on weak Chinese consumer confidence

The prices of second-hand luxury goods have fallen rapidly in China over recent months, as even the wealthy cut back on their discretionary spending and sell their Rolex watches and Hermès bags to raise cash.

More than a dozen popular brands of luxury watches and bags have lost between 20 per cent and 50 per cent of their value on the secondary market since Shanghai, China’s financial and commercial capital, imposed a strict lockdown in March to crush a Covid outbreak. The restrictions in Shanghai and dozens of other regions have dealt a heavy blow to small business owners, many of whom accumulated large collections of luxury goods in better times. But the repeated lockdowns have damaged their cash flows.

Last week tens of thousands of tourists in Hainan, an island province billed as “China’s Hawaii”, were prevented from returning home to stem an outbreak there. The government is promoting Hainan as a duty-free paradise where Chinese consumers can buy the same luxury goods they used to snap up in cities such as Paris, Rome and London before President Xi Jinping’s controversial zero-Covid policy made it practically impossible to travel abroad for short trips. Watcheco, an industry portal for used luxury watches, reported that the price of second-hand Rolex Submariners — a model coveted by connoisseurs and collectors — had fallen 46 per cent since March.

Luxury bag dealerships in Shanghai and Hangzhou have also cut prices of classics such as Hermès Birkin bags by up to a fifth over the same period. Pawnshops and other luxury goods resellers said there had been a big increase in customers, led by cash-strapped business owners who were struggling to raise capital to pay down debt and keep their operations afloat. “The boom time is over,” said James Wang, a seller of second-hand luxury watches in the eastern city of Nanjing. “We are entering a correction period that could last for a long time.”

Wang said he bought six Patek Philippe and 29 Rolex Submariner watches from distressed owners in July alone, compared with no Patek Philippes and five Rolex Submariners in the first quarter of this year. “Patek Philippe says you never actually own its watch, but merely look after it for the next generation,” said Wang. “That’s not the case in a business crisis.”

Chinese investors ditch property for jade in search of higher returns Shaun Rein at China Market Research, a Shanghai-based consultancy, said the sudden rise in supply and resulting price drops of second-hand luxury goods were evidence of “very weak consumer confidence”. “It’s probably the weakest I’ve seen in my 25 years in China,” he added. Some luxury goods investors argued that the recent price falls were inevitable after an unsustainable surge prior to March.

In the six months leading up to Shanghai’s lockdown, the price of second-hand Rolex Submariners rose by 240 per cent. The same bag dealerships that recently cut their asking prices in Shanghai and Hangzhou did so just months after raising prices at the start of the new year. Sam Xue, a watch investor who owns an electric heater factory in the eastern city of Wuxi, said the price rises were “pure speculation” and unsustainable.

“The weak economy can’t support a luxury boom,” Xue said, adding that he would not buy luxury watches again unless prices fell by another 30 per cent.

https://www.ft.com/content/3b6559e1-...d-0263da809191

- - - Updated - - -

So in context it looks like prices still overall up but on a downward trend.

Thankfully it could never happen here!

Master
    Why could it never happen here? The statement at the end seems applicable on a global scale.

Considering it was this market that pushed prices up significantly ten years ago, I wonder if this strikes quite a blow to the watch industry for new sales.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    Why could it never happen here? The statement at the end seems applicable on a global scale.

Sorry I should make my sarcasm more clear.

Craftsman
    I always liked the Patek Philippe marketing: You never actually own a PP...

Interesting article.

Especially this bit:

“Patek Philippe says you never actually own its watch, but merely look after it for the next generation,” said Wang. “That’s not the case in a business crisis.”
    Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Considering it was this market that pushed prices up significantly ten years ago, I wonder if this strikes quite a blow to the watch industry for new sales.
    From what I can gather speaking to AD's and witnessing recent footfall they are still inundated with lists to fulfil and fresh daily enquiries they are batting off so whilst there is definitely a slump in secondary values demand at RRP is still healthy

but no doubt those that have bought from 'greys' at top hype money will have overpaid and if they try to liquidate may have an unpleasant surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    but no doubt those that have bought from 'greys' at top hype money will have overpaid and if they try to liquidate may have an unpleasant surprise.
    Definitely. Those bought at list are always going to be safe, but paying top dollar for a must have clearly carries a risk. I’m guessing most that do this don’t care anyway, they want the watch today and the cost is probably loose change in the back pocket to them.

I did see an SD43 listed on a dealers site for under £12k this week and that did surprise me, are secondly prices starting to cool. I must admit I don’t follow them as much as I used to.

Wonder if availability of new sought-afters may start to rise in markets less-affected by those concerning CN?

Gotta dump 'em somewhere...

Master
    There is a big difference between a wealthy person cutting back on buying new goods and someone having to make a distressed purchase because they have hit hard times.

Those who have to sell should never have bought it in the first place when they have to sell at the first hiccup. These are the purchases that will flood the market and drive prices down. It all depends on how many of these people there are compared to those whose just cut back on the buying but don't have to sell.

It just shows that companies such as Rolex and PP etc need to be fussy who they sell to in order to protect their brand image.

Master
    In all these years of following watches I’m still yet to see anyone pop up and say ‘I paid £49,000 for a steel daytona’. I’ve seen people say they’ve paid 50% over RRP, maybe even 60/70%, but where are all the people that were supposedly paying 3x or 4x retail?

I’m sure there are trust fund people and city slickers with huge bonuses etc that have paid silly money, but I’d imagine they are very few and far between. Watch prices look like they’ve just gone back to 2021 prices, before that crazy boom at the end of last year and beginning of this year. Anyone that paid RRP iI’d imagine are very happy still - that’s if they even care about watch prices, which I know a lot of people don’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    It just shows that companies such as Rolex and PP etc need to be fussy who they sell to in order to protect their brand image.
    They do not request sight of your balances, nor your estimated cash flow over the next five years, so why type such nonsense?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MacDeath View Post
    They do not request sight of your balances, nor your estimated cash flow over the next five years, so why type such nonsense?
    There are dozens of tales in this forum alone complaining about being given the third degree when trying to buy a watch. I haven't bought a watch for yonks so have no experience but the complaints about having to go through the hoops are prolific.

There are dozens of tales in this forum alone complaining about being given the third degree when trying to buy a watch. I haven't bought a watch for yonks so have no experience but the complaints about having to go through the hoops are prolific.
    If you've no experience, then why add completely ill informed information to a thread?

There's many who bought an expensive watch may currently be uncomfortable having such an amount tied up, so could prudently decide to sell and release the equity for other things. hardly unlikely to flood the market.

You could do with educating yourself on economics.

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    From what I can gather speaking to AD's and witnessing recent footfall they are still inundated with lists to fulfil and fresh daily enquiries they are batting off so whilst there is definitely a slump in secondary values demand at RRP is still healthy

Yes, this doesn't surprise me as RRP is still a bargain price compared with the secondhand market. The limited supply side of things takes care of that.

Master
    If you've no experience, then why add completely ill informed information to a thread?

There's many who bought an expensive watch may currently be uncomfortable having such an amount tied up, so could prudently decide to sell and release the equity for other things. hardly unlikely to flood the market.

You have demonstrated that there is no point in saying something unless you have experienced it first hand, this being despite the fact that dozens upon dozens of people have publicly stated that they will never buy a watch from Rolex again because they are treated like a second class citizen.

By the same token I have never seen people killed in a war because I have never seen it so am I wrong to comment on it. I could list many similar instances, so unless you think that the people who wrote in claiming Rolex treated them like dirt are liars or Walter Mitty's then you little outburst is totally unwrarranted.

Also I restricted my comments just about distress sales and caveated how many were down to this as it would affect the outcome. I respectfully suggest you learn to read before blasting.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Sorry I should make my sarcasm more clear.
    Ha that makes more sense :D

You have demonstrated that there is no point in saying something unless you have experienced it first hand, this being despite the fact that dozens upon dozens of people have publicly stated that they will never buy a watch from Rolex again because they are treated like a second class citizen.

By the same token I have never seen people killed in a war because I have never seen it so am I wrong to comment on it. I could list many similar instances, so unless you think that the people who wrote in claiming Rolex treated them like dirt are liars or Walter Mitty's then you little outburst is totally unwrarranted.

Also I restricted my comments just about distress sales and caveated how many were down to this as it would affect the outcome. I respectfully suggest you learn to read before blasting.
    You really have no idea what you are typing.

I haven't displayed any 'outburst', simply reacted to your troll like comments.

Yes, I do agree many have commented in reference to the Rolex acquisition procedure, but your post was about selling, not buying, so try not to drift...

Those who have to sell should never have bought it in the first place when they have to sell at the first hiccup.
    What's a 'hiccup'?

These are the purchases that will flood the market and drive prices down.
    How many constitutes a flood?

What percentage will prices be driven down?

How do they carry out 'fussy'?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Rolex PP AP et al may not request sight of balances, but they are studying purchase history fairly intently which in itself gives insight to customer spending power.

The market could be flooded with people wanting to sell at the moment with an easy 20+ sellers to 1 buyer.
    What is preventing this currently is that those who want to sell have expectations of clawing back most of their last years purchase price, and that isnt happening.
    This is what is holding back the floodgates, not the amount of people wanting to sell.

People who bought at RRP or not hugely inflated numbers above RRP are still okay. Those who splashed 50k on a turquoise OP etc.. less so.

Master
    You really have no idea what you are typing.

I haven't displayed any 'outburst', simply reacted to your troll like comments.

Yes, I do agree many have commented in reference to the Rolex acquisition procedure, but your post was about selling, not buying, so try not to drift...

What's a 'hiccup'?

How many constitutes a flood?

What percentage will prices be driven down?

How do they carry out 'fussy'?
    Sorry but you are one of those, thankfully rare types, who just like to argue for the pure sake of it. I can no longer be bothered to engage with you. Goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Rolex PP AP et al may not request sight of balances, but they are studying purchase history fairly intently which in itself gives insight to customer spending power.

The market could be flooded with people wanting to sell at the moment with an easy 20+ sellers to 1 buyer.
    What is preventing this currently is that those who want to sell have expectations of clawing back most of their last years purchase price, and that isnt happening.
    This is what is holding back the floodgates, not the amount of people wanting to sell.

People who bought at RRP or not hugely inflated numbers above RRP are still okay. Those who splashed 50k on a turquoise OP etc.. less so.
    Now, that really is an informed and useful post, so thank you.

Grey pricing has fallen and it is fair to expect most people to hope to get their money back, which is currently showing as unlikely. But I also don't see the floodgates opening because a gas bill has just landed, as lauded about by Daft Mick.

Sorry but you are one of those, thankfully rare types, who just like to argue for the pure sake of it. I can no longer be bothered to engage with you. Goodbye.
    You're certainly not rare. Trolls with little subject knowledge are commonplace online. Ciao.

Master

Interesting perspective from someone in the know, rather than some of us who think we’re in the know, but aren’t :-)

Out of interest, how are you seeing the market going the rest of the year?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Now, that really is an informed and useful post, so thank you.

Grey pricing has fallen and it is fair to expect most people to hope to get their money back, which is currently showing as unlikely. But I also don't see the floodgates opening because a gas bill has just landed, as lauded about by Daft Mick.
    No, although this may be happening on the private market (forums, Ebay, etc) if people are worried so shedding watches to provide financial cushions in case of hard times ahead.
    Baller buyers though who have been consuming regularly at the high end are not getting sweaty palms, yet.
    The market is still moving though with buyers and sellers.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Interesting perspective from someone in the know, rather than some of us who think we’re in the know, but aren’t :-)

Out of interest, how are you seeing the market going the rest of the year?
    In all honesty, I cant so wont predict it.

But, from observation, summertime is always a slump and June-Aug are very quiet compared to the rest of the year because of holidays and associated spending, kids off school etc.
    This happens annually so its not easy to assess whether this is an all round slow or seasonal which will pick up heading into autumn/winter.

What I'm seeing at the minute is a steady flow at lowered prices. There is still regular buying and selling going on so the downward price trajectory hasnt ground the market to a halt, for some, its a better time to buy than at the beginning of the year when people were priced out of what they wanted.

I suspect that there will be a further drop, but probably slower rather than off a cliff and will stabilise over RRP by several K.
    I think the idea that wanted watches will be available pre owned at below RRP is forum fantasy-land at the minute.

Some watches have been hit harder than others. RM- steady, Rolex - steady, PP sports - steady ish although PM has taken a hit, AP very quiet but they had a massive bloat.

Master
    In all honesty, I cant so wont predict it.

But, from observation, summertime is always a slump and June-Aug are very quiet compared to the rest of the year because of holidays and associated spending, kids off school etc.
    This happens annually so its not easy to assess whether this is an all round slow or seasonal which will pick up heading into autumn/winter.

What I'm seeing at the minute is a steady flow at lowered prices. There is still regular buying and selling going on so the downward price trajectory hasnt ground the market to a halt, for some, its a better time to buy than at the beginning of the year when people were priced out of what they wanted.

I suspect that there will be a further drop, but probably slower rather than off a cliff and will stabilise over RRP by several K.
    I think the idea that wanted watches will be available pre owned at below RRP is forum fantasy-land at the minute.

Some watches have been hit harder than others. RM- steady, Rolex - steady, PP sports - steady ish although PM has taken a hit, AP very quiet but they had a massive bloat.
    Thanks verv for the reply, interesting to hear your thoughts :-)

Craftsman

It’s a forum for discussion, opinions. Didn’t realise you had to be educated before contributing to a thread :)

Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    It’s a forum for discussion, opinions. Didn’t realise you had to be educated before contributing to a thread :)
    The poster to whom I was referring wasn't discussing anything. He was telling us all off for not being as rich, sensible and clever as him.

Watch brands (PP included) do interview and select those they can sell to - that's a known fact. You're very naive for someone who's been here for 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Watch brands (PP included) do interview and select those they can sell to - that's a known fact. You're very naive for someone who's been here for 10 years.
    Why are so many taking my posts the wrong way? I am fully aware they interview. My response related to those who would be forced to sell because they couldn't afford it in the first place - thus intimating the AD would rummage through your personal finances in order to be considered.

They Do Not.

I suspect that Mick, in his rather clumsy way was highlighting that there are people on here and elsewhere who possibly stretch themselves a little further than they should when buying watches and when some big unexpected bill comes along like a major car repair or a new boiler etc, they immediately have to offload the watch to pay for it.

This has been going on for years and has nothing to do with price fluctuations or trends etc, just the way it is and ADs offering finance exacerbates the problem in some cases.

Whilst I laughed at that meme, I don't think Mick is a million miles from the truth. I think Rolex ADs take a slightly cut down version of the strategy from brands like Ferrari to keep things exclusive and limit those who purchase.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/no-matt...a-new-ferrari/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I suspect that Mick, in his rather clumsy way was highlighting that there are people on here and elsewhere who possibly stretch themselves a little further than they should when buying watches and when some big unexpected bill comes along like a major car repair or a new boiler etc, they immediately have to offload the watch to pay for it.

This has been going on for years and has nothing to do with price fluctuations or trends etc, just the way it is and ADs offering finance exacerbates the problem in some cases.
    That’s very true and even more truer today than ever - the amount of money that people were getting in lockdown with furlough, bounce back loans et al, was incredible. Lots of it spent on land, extensions, cars and …. Watches!

All very good until you have to pay it back!

Happy for prices to get battered back to RRP or even 20% less if it helps my allocation.

I've bought and sold a couple in the last few weeks but it's all relative. I didn't buy a Daytona for 50k or a Pepsi for 20 so I'm not prolapsed and yelping.

God help anyone who paid £20k or more for a "Hulk".

Had an offer from a member on here to buy their 41mm RO for £40k the other week. Not a chance and no, wasn't blue and wasn't even a chrono.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Happy for prices to get battered back to RRP or even 20% less if it helps my allocation.

I've bought and sold a couple in the last few weeks but it's all relative. I didn't buy a Daytona for 50k or a Pepsi for 20 so I'm not prolapsed and yelping.

God help anyone who paid £20k or more for a "Hulk".

Had an offer from a member on here to buy their 41mm RO for £40k the other week. Not a chance and no, wasn't blue and wasn't even a chrono.
    But...

What if someone did pay that for a Hulk (crazy I agree). Why can't watches go down in value like they used to?

Up to recent times, people bought, sold and lost money.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    lol lol lol.

Master
    That’s very true and even more truer today than ever - the amount of money that people were getting in lockdown with furlough, bounce back loans et al, was incredible. Lots of it spent on land, extensions, cars and …. Watches!

Indeed , all very true. Wait until the next and following quarterly energy bill roll in along with higher interest rates and a recession and we will see who’s a fool and who’s a gobshite that’s overspent. SC will be busier than ever I reckon.

But...

What if someone did pay that for a Hulk (crazy I agree). Why can't watches go down in value like they used to?

Up to recent times, people bought, sold and lost money.
    Up to them as to how they financed it (if it was even their money) and if they need the money or not looking forward.

I think anyone paying those kinds of sums is doing a financial Darwin but that's their business.

I think the reality is 99% of watches lose money and anyone who thought or thinks otherwise is about to buy a PhD in horological finance and the depths of depreciation.

Not very nice Mick has a point

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubymac View Post
    Not very nice Mick has a point
    Very appreciative of your support but there is no need to worry. Onelasttime and Mr T are much the same, they are both thugs.

Yeah, people were just living it up in lockdown on furlough, weren’t they? Or at least a certain class of people were.

What reality do you live in?

Master
    Yeah, people were just living it up in lockdown on furlough, weren’t they? Or at least a certain class of people were.

What reality do I live in?

Whilst I realise you spend your entire life on this forum sh1t stirring at any opportunity you can and showing what a thoroughly unpleasant person you are, surely even you’re aware of some of the vast sums of money that people were getting?

As you like to twist things, to be clear, I never said everyone was getting a lot of money in lockdown, but a lot of people were. The huge amounts of £50,000 bounce back loans for starters that were handed out with the most minimal of checks. I could expand but I really don’t wish to spend anymore time in dialogue with you full stop.

Craftsman

There were lots of people out there enjoying their situation, fact of life. Not necessarily their fault just the turmoil everyone was thrust into

Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    There were lots of people out there enjoying their situation, fact of life. Not necessarily their fault just the turmoil everyone was thrust into
    Like who?

I'm pretty sure that whoever they are that you're referring to didn't represent any majority.

I think the general populace tried to make the best of it, that's the British spirit.

I don't think I'll ever forget Captain Tom, the 99-year-old army veteran who pledged to walk 100 lengths of his garden to raise over £10M for the NHS.

Master

Luxury watch prices plummet on weak Chinese consumer confidence

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsan View Post
    Like who?

I'm pretty sure that whoever they are that you're referring to didn't represent any majority.

I think the general populace tried to make the best of it, that's the British spirit.

I don't think I'll ever forget Captain Tom, the 99-year-old army veteran who pledged to walk 100 lengths of his garden to raise over £10M for the NHS.
    Do you really need examples? Loads of people benefited from it. So much so that many decided to reevaluate their lifestyles. Lots of self employed people loved it until the end of furlough especially those who’s companies employed family members. Let’s not fool ourselves and pretend that everybody suffered with the stiff upper lip crap. Online retail went through the roof as many were spending free money .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 13th August 2022 at 17:06.

Master

Whilst I realise you spend your entire life on this forum sh1t stirring at any opportunity you can and showing what a thoroughly unpleasant person you are, surely even you’re aware of some of the vast sums of money that people were getting?

As you like to twist things, to be clear, I never said everyone was getting a lot of money in lockdown, but a lot of people were. The huge amounts of £50,000 bounce back loans for starters that were handed out with the most minimal of checks. I could expand but I really don’t wish to spend anymore time in dialogue with you full stop.
    Peoples businesses were kept afloat with furlough money-it did what it was supposed to do. There was excess money in the system due to no family holidays and no going out socialising.
    The bounce back loan was certainly abused by a good number however I’m not sure much of it would be spent on a Rolex off a grey dealer-I feel that’s a bit of an urban myth.
    I actually took the BBL as it made sense for a years interest free money. It shall all be paid back though and no Rolex was purchased off the back of it.
    Promise

Bit touchy aren't you? I rest my case.

I had no idea that people were getting "vast sums of money". I knew people with businesses that had to close and welcomed the money to keep their family fed and a roof over their heads?

But you're saying lots of the recipients bought house extensions and Rolex with the money? Maybe a small minority of the feckless did. Otherwise, what you describe sounds very much like a Daily Fail or Torygraph headline.

And for many, there was some new disposable income with working from home and no commuting and not going out, but it wasn't the rosy picture you paint of people lining their pockets and living the high life.

You said, " – the amount of money that people were getting in lockdown with furlough, bounce back loans et al, was incredible." That sounds like you saying all people were getting incredible sums of money. But whatever. We'll never see eye to eye so have a nice weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Do you really need examples? Loads of people benefited from it. So much so that many decided to reevaluate their lifestyles. Lots of self employed people loved it until the end of furlough especially those who’s companies employed family members. Let’s not fool ourselves and pretend that everybody suffered with the stiff upper lip crap. Online retail went through the roof as many were spending free money .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I stated the majority, not everyone.

GDP declined by 9.7% in 2020, the steepest drop since consistent records began in 1948 and UK GDP was 25% lower in April 2020 than it was only two months earlier in February.

What you've presented are generalisations or, probably more accurately, exaggerations.

I doubt Putin has had to sell his Blancpain yet

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    I doubt Putin has had to sell his Blancpain yet
    I look forward to the day I see it for sale. "By auction.....Property of former dictator"