closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Battery change Gw-A1000A G-shock?

Battery change Gw-A1000A G-shock?

My dependable and bomb proof Gw-A1000A has stopped working and parked its hands all top dead centre. Date wheel also moved itself to 1.No buttons do anything.

Its a solar G-shock from 2012 and it lives in a room with natural light, not in the dark. It gets light usually.

Obviously I've tried charging it in direct sunlight, but nowt.

What's the chance that it just needs a new Ctl920 battery?

Master
    Have you tried a hand reset and sync?
    Although the manual does say these symptoms mean it need charging
    Have you stuck it outside for a day?
    Last edited by lewie; 12th August 2022 at 08:20.

If it's 10 years old I'd say it's probably due a replacement.

Sent from a technical device.

I'm going to go for one last chance at charging, out on the garden bench for 12 hrs, then I'll try some of the suggestions above.
    Panasonic battery looks like 18 supplied, so we'll see

OK, massive success and thread update.

I left this in the sun yesterday, outside.
    I did the lawn, cut back the tomatoes and got a little drunk.

So I forgot about the watch.

And this morning.... it works !!

Tried to receive the synchronisation signal, but it didn't work.
    Remembered that you need to set the Home City, so I did, (also read the manual fully, as I should have done from the start)

And why the picture above ?

Well I live 29 miles from the MSF signal broadcast at Anthorn courtesy of Babcock Ltd on behalf of the MoD. https://www.npl.co.uk/msf-signal

AND I'm direct line of sight of the transmitter mast. Marked with a red circle in the photo taken from the top of the garden.

So it got hold of the signal pretty easily and we are 100% function again.

god I'm a geek.

here's the tech info on the signal, for those interested:

Is it Ant-horn or An-thorn?
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

"Anthorn's name means 'the single thorn bush'. Before the dissolution of the monasteries in 1536, salt was panned in the area by Holme Cultram abbey."

pronounced /ˈnθɔːrn/ AN-thorn

"Originally no more than a cluster of cottages and small farms on the shore, the village increased in size and importance in 1942, when an existing First World War landing strip was developed as HMS Nuthatch, a Royal Naval Air Station.[1] The RAF station closed in 1958, and Anthorn Radio Station is now the site of a large mast field for the NATO VLF transmitter, the NPL time signal and an eLoran timing signal.[2] The Admiralty housing development, larger than the original village itself and about 0.62 miles (1 km) to the east, remains. In 187072 the township had a population of 197."

I think that puts that to bed

its AN--THORN

Ive got 8 solar atomic c g shocks, 3 of them are over 10 years old and still show high charge with no issues. Note these take a long time to fully charge - the window of a high charge is quite large. If I were you Id give it a couple more days of full sun (seeing as it had gone into recovery mode) to get it properly juiced up - that should keep it on high until next summer at least! Lastly Id move its resting place somewhere a bit brighter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post

OK, massive success and thread update.

I left this in the sun yesterday, outside.
    I did the lawn, cut back the tomatoes and got a little drunk.

So I forgot about the watch.

And this morning.... it works !!

Tried to receive the synchronisation signal, but it didn't work.
    Remembered that you need to set the Home City, so I did, (also read the manual fully, as I should have done from the start)

And why the picture above ?

Well I live 29 miles from the MSF signal broadcast at Anthorn courtesy of Babcock Ltd on behalf of the MoD. https://www.npl.co.uk/msf-signal

AND I'm direct line of sight of the transmitter mast. Marked with a red circle in the photo taken from the top of the garden.

So it got hold of the signal pretty easily and we are 100% function again.

god I'm a geek.

here's the tech info on the signal, for those interested:

Glad to hear

Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
    "Anthorn's name means 'the single thorn bush'. Before the dissolution of the monasteries in 1536, salt was panned in the area by Holme Cultram abbey."

pronounced /ˈnθɔːrn/ AN-thorn

"Originally no more than a cluster of cottages and small farms on the shore, the village increased in size and importance in 1942, when an existing First World War landing strip was developed as HMS Nuthatch, a Royal Naval Air Station.[1] The RAF station closed in 1958, and Anthorn Radio Station is now the site of a large mast field for the NATO VLF transmitter, the NPL time signal and an eLoran timing signal.[2] The Admiralty housing development, larger than the original village itself and about 0.62 miles (1 km) to the east, remains. In 187072 the township had a population of 197."

I think that puts that to bed

its AN--THORN
    Apologies for the belated "thank you." Most illuminating.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Well you'll love this....
    I'm off tomorrow and it got me thinking, it's a 20 minute drive to the station, could I visit?

I wrote to the NPL. Can I visit please?
    They said no, but gave me this video which is also interesting
    https://youtu.be/yqciKS_N0K8

The Anthorn time is referenced to the Teddington NPL time. And a nanosecond is 30 cm long! And accurate time is needed for high frequency trading (as well as GPS, and lots of other things , which I knew about)