closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tudor BB41 or BB58 for an 8" wrist?

Journeyman

Tudor BB41 or BB58 for an 8" wrist?

I usually wear a Sinn U1 SDR which I like as a nice size, if slightly thick and heavy. I've been looking at Black Bays and the BB58 blue looks stunning, but is a fair bit smaller than the Sinn. I've got another watch (O&W p101) with 39.5mm x 49.5mm case and its nice enough but feels small compared to the U1. Also feels very lightweight on a strap.

The standard BB41 with black dial and blue bezel looks quite nice but is about as thick as the U1. Anyone have any comment on full size BB41 vs BB58 models on a larger wrist? (It would be on a bracelet)

thanks

Andy

The 58blue is my favourite watch at the minute. It's perfect on my 18cm wrist but you really need to try one on. They are available at ADs now. The 41mm is too thick imo but again, you need to see how they fit on your wrist.

Journeyman
    this may be saturdays task, Goldsmiths near me are showing stock of both. the look of the 58 blue is really beautiful.

Craftsman
    I have 81/2 inch wrist and tried on various black bays and found the 41mm fine not big or thick and the 58 felt too small for the style of watch ,you would have to try it on and see how it feels on your wrist .

Sent from my Pixel 6 using TZ-UK mobile app

It sounds like you want the BB41 but would prefer to have something different in your collection with a BB58.

From everything I've read and listened to, the BB58 wears smaller than its size indicates.

I would try both and see how you feel. If you have a round 8" wrist, it'll wear very differently if your wrist is flatter.

I don't think many people are unhappy with their BB58, especially if you'll wear it to wear with a shirt. I find 14mm+ watches frustrating in that regard.

I have a similar wrist and on me the BB58 looks like a kid's watch but the BB41 is fine.

I've bought four BB41s and sold four BB41s. They're just too thick for me. I wouldn't rule out trying an original BB41 ETA as that's a touch thinner.

Go try both on but also see if you can try the Pelagos at the same time. Seiko SLA021 is quite similar style between the Sinn and the BB41 but I wouldn't buy one new.

Journeyman
    I've got very flat wrists, not much round going on, the U1 is a very nice fit.

The preferance for the BB58 is the colour, and the fact it's a bit smarter than the U1, I love a blue watch and the dial and bezel look very nice indeed. my first mechanical was an Orient blue mako and the colours were lovely until I used a stihl saw while wearing it and scoured the crystal with a few minutes worth of sparks on the crystal.

From the photos I've seen the 41mm will be the better size, but is likely to give the same issue with shirt cuffs as the U1 due to the thickness. On the odd occasion I wear a shirt I'm supposed to look smart ish.

Journeyman
    blue Pelagos is also very very tempting

Quote Originally Posted by AndyPP View Post
    blue Pelagos is also very very tempting
    The Pelagos isn't very sophisticated in my opinion.

A bit of a curve ball, but what about a used Cartier Santos? Dress but with some sporty vibes.

Journeyman
    Pelago is similar thickness to the U1 but a little bit smarter. definately not a dress watch though. I'm not a fan of square watches, I'm also quite a fan of the tool / diver style watches as I use the bezel timer quite a few times a day. A proper dress watch is a future thing at this stage.

The BB58 is appealing as its kind of smart ish as well as being a diver. A shiney watch option without a timing bezel would most liklely be a Milgauss.

I have a 9inch wrist and have been wearing my newly acquired BB58 for 3 months now. In a nutshell I love it - it’s easy to wear and looks just right imho. I don’t actually think divers in this style should wear too large - it’s unobtrusive but has a very old school look which I think suits any size wrist. I did wear a U1 for a few years as a daily and whilst it didn’t look too big on me I always found it heavy and a bit too clinical in appearance. I did try on a larger sized Black Bay and the slab sided case is awful imho - I really don’t like it at all, the proportions just seem out of whack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Thanks,

definitely sounds like trying both is the way forwards.

Master
    I have an 8" wrist & chose the BB41 with the blue bezel & black dial. I love it & it gets the most wear of all my watches.
    People warned me about the thickness but I like the weight of a bigger watch & my other watches include a James Cameron & a 47mm Tuna so it's not been an issue for me.
    It gets additional points for me being able to read it easily without my glasses. It loses points for the faux rivets on the bracelet & I'd like to change it for an Oyster, but I can live with it.

This is so subjective, it's not like shoe size. You've got to try them on to decide. Really depends whether you don't mind the bulk or whether you have a personal preference for larger or smaller watches.

Craftsman
    The Tudor BB41 is a great size, but for me it's just too thick. I've tried it on with the intention of buying a bunch of times, and I just can't live with how beefy it is. To me, the BB58 is the perfect size, and the blue one has been my heart-throb watch for too long.

As others have said, though, you won't know until you try them both on!

If I can struggle by the with 41 on my 6.75in wrist, I think you will be able to pull off the size no problem.

The 58 would definitely be a better size for me though, but with a wrist your size I would worry it may be a bit too small. Best bet of course would be to try them on.

I have a wrist just over 8” and my BB58 on metal strap serves as my smart watch, wears similar to a Rolex 14060. I also have a Pelagos FXD and both earn their place in the collection for looking completely different.

Journeyman
    P101 by subZero rider, on Flickr

this is my O&W p101 which is 39.5mm x 49.5mm (lug to lug). The BB58 is almost the same at 39mm and is only 47.5mm lug to lug. Really need to try one on.

Master
    I don't find wearing the 43mm BB Bronze Bucherer a problem; a 39mm diver would be looking petite.

Last edited by J J Carter; 13th August 2022 at 13:32.

I went to a jeweller and compared the 58 to my older 41 with the eta moment, there was little difference in size and feel to me. I was quite surprised as I was expecting them to be very different. The 58 was very wearable on my 8 inch flat shaped wrist

The 58 is still a weighty watch on the bracelet and although the sides look thinner when off the wrist, the overall height on the wrist is negligible compared to the eta version. I haven’t tried the newer 41 which is a bit thicker - so if it was me I would get the 58 blue as I prefer it to the 41 blue !

Master

7.5 inch lean wrist here and a 58 on a bracelet wears really nicely for an everydayer or under cuffs . Most likely depends if you have lean wrists which flatter the watch or balloon wrists that make a 58 look a bit like it’s restricting blood flow. Very nice watches the 58:) which I’m pretty sure would look fine on 8inch .
    My 58 Bronze :)
    Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 16th August 2022 at 16:14.

Journeyman
    went to a Tudor boutique on Saturday and tried em both. The BB58 is great from the colour perspective but ended up with the 41 blue, just feels a better fit although the blue of the 58 was very nice. Nearly ended up with the 925 silver though, very nice looking in person.

20220815_134402 by subZero rider, on Flickr

Thanks for the comments

Great shot and fits your wrist well

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Great shot and fits your wrist well
    Thank you. The new Samsung phones are making photos easy, but still not quite like a proper camera yet!

My 58 on nearly 9 inch wrists demonstrates - I think - how this watch can suit many wrist sizes. I’ve had 44mm Panerai and a Sinn U1 as daily wearers in the past but I was always conscious of bashing them - this is much easier to wear and just as legible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I love my u1 as it tends to dent the things you hit with it rather than marking the case. And I never appreciated how fingerprinty polished cases are until I wore the tudor.

Loving the look of the black bay though, really liking it

Master
    I love my BB58. The ergonomics, no date, the thinness. Just so so spot on. Love it.

BB58 was too small for me with just my 7.25" wrist.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57