closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SKX009 bracelet gap

Craftsman

SKX009 bracelet gap

Hi chaps

I picked up a pre-owned SKX009 from eBay. The watch appeared to be in overall good condition, however I notice there’s about a millimetre gap between the lug and the bracelet on both ends. Is this normal or should it be a snug fit. It’s making the watch very jungly jangly when worn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks fine to me. Is it an original Seiko bracelet? If so, the jingle jangle is "part of the charm" and entirely normal.

Journeyman
    Normal wear?

If you want a snug fit you need an SEL bracelet from Strapcode. The hollow end links on the Seiko jubilee always have a bit of play.

They can be 'manipulated' to get a tighter fit but take it from me, it's a slippery slope. I've wasted far too many hours with a jewellers hammer and pliers, with no obvious sign of success, that I just accept the jangle now.

One thing I will say is that despite its outward appearance of cheapness, the jubilee bracelet is tough as old boots and has never failed despite the abuse it's received. Wear and enjoy

Master
    The bracelet on my SKX013 was exactly the same. I tried but never achieved to get a better fit. It was still the most comfortable bracelet I've worn.

Grand Master
    Doesn't look anything like 1mm to me. I would say this is normal, as previously stated you won't get the same snug fit as a solid end link. Trying to improve the fit is a slippery slope, I've done it on a few vintage Omegas where end links have had to be modified, but it isn`t easy and there's every chance it'll end up worse.

It may be worth checking that the correct springbar is fitted and whether there's scope for a thicker one. Get the digital calipers out and measure what's fitted, then assess whether a thicker one will help.

Everyone should own a set of digital calipers, takes the guess work out of measuring!

Master
    Looks standard and v similar to mine which has been babied since bought.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

Yep, standard Seiko gap. Same on my £1k plus SPB149. Strapcode bracelet resolved........

Craftsman
    Thanks for comments. If it’s normal I can live with it. I guess I was worried it was a knock off bracelet with a Seiko stamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    The SKX007/009 was produced for many, many years and individual genuine examples vary by a surprising amount from what I've seen.

There are fakes out there but there's nothing here that suggests fake to me.

The jangly Jubilee bracelet is quite normal.

Personally I like the Jubilee but I think it's also well worth upgrading the bracelet to one of the many third party options available.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    It may be worth checking that the correct springbar is fitted and whether there's scope for a thicker one. Get the digital calipers out and measure what's fitted, then assess whether a thicker one will help.
    Good point. If I remember correctly, the original spring bars on these are thick ones.

Now that begs the question of just how thick they are and I don't have a SKX to hand right now to check. Sorry! But it's definitely thicker than the common 1.5mm diameter ones.

Nothing wrong with it IMO. I had a Strapcode Jubilee for my SKX009 (bought new on rubber) and ended up replacing it with one of these Seiko jingly jangly bracelets. More comfortable and far more to my taste all round!

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Good point. If I remember correctly, the original spring bars on these are thick ones.

Now that begs the question of just how thick they are and I don't have a SKX to hand right now to check. Sorry! But it's definitely thicker than the common 1.5mm diameter ones.
    Fat bars are 2mm and they do help secure the end link so always a good idea to check this first.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Fat bars are 2mm and they do help secure the end link so always a good idea to check this first.
    Thanks.

Actually, I think fat bars are 2.5mm. Pretty fat anyway.