closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tissot PRX 80 thoughts

Craftsman

Tissot PRX 80 thoughts

Now let me start by saying that i would never normally create a post like this.

I bought a Tissot PRX 80 from an AD around 10 months ago at a fairly significant discount. I had bought a number of IWCs and some other watches from them, so safe to say we had a positive relationship. Once i got the watch home I went through the typical honeymoon period and it has since sat in the safe, rarely making an appearance. However I put it on today and realised why I made this purchase. At this price point, the integrated bracelet and case finishing are extremely good. It oozes vintage class and the dial is quite a looker too (not to mention the well executed butterfly clasp).

I'm sure there are some on here that will be of the opinion that it too closely mimics similar styled watches from much more prestigious brands. But it really is a bargain, though I will admit the display case back does not reveal the finest movement However the time keeping seems very solid. I have put some pictures below to show what £400 can get you.

Last edited by Spesh; 10th August 2022 at 20:50.

Master
    Decent watch for the money… I posted up about mine last week as I was fairly impressed with what I got. I don’t normally do posts like that either !
    Some neat stuff like the quick release bracelet. The butterfly clap is fairly well executed and the bracelet came with a few half links to help get a good fit (although the split pins were an absolute pig to fiddle with). I don’t think you can really complain much even at full RRP.

Also, the design is straight from the Tissot back catalogue… they were knocking out quartz Seastars back in the 70s that looked pretty similar (although they themselves were following the Genta design I guess).

Master
    I’m quite taken by the bucherer edition of it. https://www.bucherer.com/uk/en/watch...MCid=174096416

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    A lovely watch, although a bit too large for me. I can't wait for the smaller size automatics to be released (which seems imminent).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    Decent watch for the money… I posted up about mine last week as I was fairly impressed with what I got. I don’t normally do posts like that either !
    Some neat stuff like the quick release bracelet. The butterfly clap is fairly well executed and the bracelet came with a few half links to help get a good fit (although the split pins were an absolute pig to fiddle with). I don’t think you can really complain much even at full RRP.

Also, the design is straight from the Tissot back catalogue… they were knocking out quartz Seastars back in the 70s that looked pretty similar (although they themselves were following the Genta design I guess).
    I must have missed your post, but I agree that the split pins almost need a hammer (joke). As you say though, I don't think you can argue at this price.

I have the green dialled quartz version as I thought the design suited a quartz movement better - shades of Oysterquartz for half the rrp of the auto PRX. I haven’t worn mine much as I find it a bit formal tbh - and I haven’t had to remove a single link as I have the wrists of a gorilla! - but in spite of that it doesn’t so much wear large as sit oddly on my wrist. I do like it though and for the £295 I paid I’m quite happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    I’m quite taken by the bucherer edition of it. https://www.bucherer.com/uk/en/watch...MCid=174096416

I really liked it, and bought one a couple of weeks or so ago. I must get round to sizing it though.
    It's just a matter of time...

I had the mid 90s prx, was my 21st birthday present from my folks.

Had it through end of Uni, start of my career, my wedding day and first years with the kids.

Got an Apple watch few years back so stopped wearing it as much, then in June 21, it got stolen when we got burgled.

25 years of history gone probably just to secure a junkies next fix.

Bit gutted really, sometimes I think about getting another from eBay or something, or could go for the new model, but haven't done it so far, just wish I could get my one back.
    Last edited by xxnick1975; 10th August 2022 at 23:46.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I really liked it, and bought one a couple of weeks or so ago. I must get round to sizing it though.
    That’s the one I got also. Good luck with the bracelet adjustment… I had to remove the bracelet from the watch, stick it in a vice and then give the pins a real good whack with a small hammer to get them to budge. Actually broke one of my tools on one of them.

Last edited by gorrie; 11th August 2022 at 09:39.

Craftsman
    As my taste starts to shift slightly from dive watches to Gérald Genta-style watches...

...I gotta say this Tissot looks very tempting.

Thanks for sharing =)

They always look good to me in photos.

I'd like to take a look at a quartz one in blue, as I'm not a fan of the waffle dial personally.

What's always prevented me is that I already own a very similar looking watch; my Schaffen S65.

As an aside, does anyone know if these are faked? I recall that the PRC200 is often faked and I'd imagine a popular model as the PRX seems to be would be a prime candidate.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 11th August 2022 at 09:47.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    They always look good to me in photos.

I'd like to take a look at a quartz one in blue, as I'm not a fan of the waffle dial personally.

What's always prevented me is that I already own a very similar looking watch; my Schaffen S65.

As an aside, does anyone know if these are faked? I recall that the PRC200 is often faked and I'd imagine a popular model as the PRX seems to be would be a prime candidate.

M
    I suppose it's likely that any watch can be faked, but I would expect watches likes Subs (particularly Rolexes actually) to be more likely to be faked. I think because the price point is so relatively low that it wouldn't make much sense to go to the effort given the prices of fakes these days. I have never seen a convincing fake of a Speedmaster, and wondered why that might be given its popularity.

Craftsman
    I have the same model. I got it at a nice discount also. Very good watch for the money.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I have the jade green quartz one.
    I bought it as I had a 100 quid beaverbrooks voucher to use up.
    Really like it, although haven't worn it yet.

Master
    One of the best bang for the buck out there today. So good I had to have the blue, green and black😂😂😂. I must admit I’m liking the Bucherer edition, that little bit of gold makes a big difference

Im a fan, I have the blue quartz and I like and wear it a lot.

Craftsman
    Does anyone know if you can add extra links , I tried one on a few weeks ago , it was hot and my wrist was a little swollen up but it was very tight on the full bracelet

Sent from my Pixel 6 using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    That’s the one I got also. Good luck with the bracelet adjustment… I had to remove the bracelet from the watch, stick it in a vice and then give the pins a real good whack with a small hammer to get them to budge. Actually broke one of my tools on one of them.

It’s nice with the bit of gold. Really makes it pop

- - - Updated - - -

It’s nice with the bit of gold. Really makes it pop

Craftsman
    I purchased the white dial quartz model in 40mm and even on my 7.25 inch wrist, the watch wore more like a 41mm/42mm so when Tissot released the 35mm quartz models recently, I am definitely on the look out to pick one of these up.

Preferring the white dial version of all the colours, it seems that the 35mm model has a slightly champagne tint to more so than the 40mm meaning that it will definitely require a "try on" before purchase this time.

Craftsman
    Also waiting for the mechanical 35mm. I was sorely tempted by the 40mm but I know it will just be too big for my wrist, and I did initially fancy trying the quartz, but having given myself a good talking to, I know I would finish up wearing something mechanical, so will save my pennies for now....
    Last edited by andyd30; 11th August 2022 at 16:57.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M
    They are faked, yes.
    There is a thread on here about exactly that, from just a few weeks ago.
    One of the known forum folks got one from EBay at a discount, and grew suspicious of something, checked into it and was clearly a fake.

Just buy it from a jewellers, lots of people stock them (although Goldsmiths don’t do the green dial auto version, which is my fave)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Blue quartz here. Fits in nicely in the collection.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    They are faked, yes.
    There is a thread on here about exactly that, from just a few weeks ago.
    One of the known forum folks got one from EBay at a discount, and grew suspicious of something, checked into it and was clearly a fake.

Just buy it from a jewellers, lots of people stock them (although Goldsmiths don’t do the green dial auto version, which is my fave)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    This surprises me. I purchased mine from Fraser Hart who were very accommodating

Not sure if anyone else spotted it but the leather strap options in black and blue are available to buy now direct from Tissot @£45

Master
    Yep, mines is currently in a DHL depot in East Midlands. Hoping it gets here before I head away for the weekend on Friday morning.

Hoping it gets here before I head away for the weekend on Friday morning.
    Good Luck!

I've just bought the 35mm version, and I don't know to what degree this will be true of the larger size, but the two smaller links in the bracelet aren't exactly half the size of the larger ones, roughly speaking they're ⅔ the size, so you can add either 4mm or 6mm

This means it's possible to get a fit that is just right, so long as you're prepared to go in and pester the staff in Mappin and Webb enough times. Since I had forgotten to enquire about a discount, I didn't feel too bad going in again and again

Master
    Blue strap arrived, think it’s a winning combo on the Bucherer PRX.

Andy.

Master

Andy.
    That looks great. How do you rate the quality of the strap?

Master
    It’s fairly thin and initially quite stiff but I can already see in space of an hour that it’s starting to give a little with regards to stiffness.
    It’s got a felt type backing which makes it quite comfortable.
    Colour wise.. it’s a very dark blue. I thought they had sent me the black when I took it out the packaging, but it just a very dark blue. Works well with the dial as that changes from dark blue to lighter in sunlight.

The fact it comes with the metal centre link already fitted with the quick release spring bars… I think for £45 it’s worth the money.

Craftsman
    I do really like the look of these but would be concerned about the lug to lug on my very small wrists. It’s now good to know about the 35mm version as that could fit me.

Master
    Thanks Gorrie, I thought it looked thin which is why I asked. It will be a change so think I will give one a try.

Andy.
    I like the look of that, I think I’ll be ordering one for mine.

Ordered mine Tuesday. I'd tried the watch with leather in EJ and really liked it.

I might try the leather on my green quartz but not sure of 2 things. Firstly will the black look odd as I think green would be better on a brown strap - and secondly will it be long enough as I wear mine with all the links fitted and it’s borderline too tight in summer /perfect in winter?

Looks quite vintage or better to say “retro”, but it si beautiful, and the price is good for the quality that offers. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    It’s not my cup,of tea, but for £400, to my eye it looks like a lot of watch. A nice find, I’d say.

Master
    I like this a lot, just has very nice nods to the past and have put out a WTB for the powermatic version

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Delugs have just started making straps for these and they look excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Delugs have just started making straps for these and they look excellent.
    They look really nice but pricey too...

Craftsman
    I picked up a 40mm white dial quartz at the beginning of the year, after comparing both the auto and the quartz side by side the conclusion was, apart from the powermatic movement and waffle dial, the case & finishing was exactly the same on both models.

After the initial honeymoon period the watch settled into my rotation, however I couldn't help thinking it was just a little too large for a 40mm and it wore slightly bigger on wrist.

When Tissot announced that they would be releasing a 35mm version, I couldn't wait to pick one up....fast forward to present day, I have since purchased a 35mm in the white/silver/champagne dial or whichever shade you want to call it, and it is just perfect.

The 35mm is so much more wearable in my opinion with the same quality as the 40mm versions, now looking forward to the 35mm auto models if/when Tissot release these.

As for my 40mm version, I may pick up one their leather straps just to switch it up a bit and looking at the photos in this thread, it does look good.

Also, if you are interested (you may have seen it already), on Jody's YouTube channel Just One More Watch, he does an excellent review of both the 40mm & 35mm white dial quartz models which is worth a watch.

I’ve worn my green dialled quartz 40mm a few days this week and it’s grown on me a bit. But I have come to a conclusion about the sizing. I Have large flat wrists - the fit is almost perfect with all the links fitted as it comes out of the box, I almost need an extra half link - but if my wrist was just a tiny bit smaller the ‘fixed’ end links would make the lug to lug length look a bit silly imho. In fact it’s more to do with comfort than looking silly - it’s a big , slim flat watch so it would tend to either sit a bit above or a bit below the middle of my wrist. I say this as someone who has worn a 44mm Panerai and a Sinn U1 as a daily in the past. This isn’t a big watch compared to those but the fixed lugs make it a slightly awkward shape. I don’t think it needs a larger version - although a few more links would be nice - but the smaller version is too small for me unfortunately. I can imagine this wearing a bit odd on average sized wrists which is probably why there’s a market for the new smaller one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenko View Post
    Not sure if anyone else spotted it but the leather strap options in black and blue are available to buy now direct from Tissot @£45
    I’ll have to get a black one. I picked a black quartz up for a good discount at the airport in Malta a few months back. Really nice looking watches.

My strap arrived today. Took just under a week but RM strike in that mix.

Bit of a fiddle to fit but like the look

Last edited by Tenko; 6th September 2022 at 04:53. Reason: Typo

Master
    Looks great Tenko.

Journeyman
    I just sold mine (quartz model).
    Liked it a lot, didn’t love it, off it went for more or less what I paid for it s/h (250€).

They’re really interesting things and arguably the best watch Tissot has made in ages.

The new automatic chronograph piqued my interest but alas it’s thicker than Katie Price.

Journeyman
    Currently available for £408 (black/green/blue) via https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/tis...h-code-4020979

I'm tempted.

If they had the quartz on offer for £200, I’d be all over it.
    Wishful thinking though I suppose.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    If they had the quartz on offer for £200, I’d be all over it.
    Wishful thinking though I suppose.
    £198 https://www.ticwatches.co.uk/tissot-t1374101604100-prx-blue-dial-navy-leather-mens-watch-p37364

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by nmbnmb View Post
    Currently available for £408 (black/green/blue) via https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/tis...h-code-4020979

I'm tempted.
    Wowsers. I bought one of these a few weeks ago (full rrp!) and think its a great watch.At that price its unmissable!!