closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car Hire Excess Insurance

Master

Car Hire Excess Insurance

Hi all,

I'm due to hire a car whilst away on holiday and am looking for Excess Insurance.

My niggle is that the vehicle's value exceeds £100k at which point it becomes difficult to find an insurer.

Do any of you have any recommendations I might try please?

Thanks

Surely it's the excess you want covered & not the full value of the car? Unless you're hiring it using your own insurance.

Sent from a technical device.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    Surely it's the excess you want covered & not the full value of the car? Unless you're hiring it using your own insurance.

Sent from a technical device.
    Exactly this. Excess insurers don't care about the car value, just how much they're liable for on the car hire company basic policy excess. For Zurich the limit is £6000. I;ve never hired a £100k+ car but on a standard hatch the excess when you hire the car is usually £2000 max.

Master
    Sad to say that this is not the case. If the car has a value in excess of £100k then it is policy excluded.

I understand your points and agree / am aware it is only the excess value and not the actual vehicle value to be insured but the insurers I have so far requested quotes from have all advised the same in the policy documents.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Presumably to exclude supercar hire etc.

In that case you're pretty much stuck with the hire car company daily rate offering.

Master
    Pretty much that I expect. That was why I was hoping somebody here might be able to help out.

There's usually an answer for anything from the combined minds :)

Master
    Thanks very much Kingstepper, I think I can find cover through that site which suits me.

Master
    How much is the excess? If you can afford to hire such an expensive car the excess shouldn’t be an issue? Or perhaps I’m missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    How much is the excess? If you can afford to hire such an expensive car the excess shouldn’t be an issue? Or perhaps I’m missing something?
    You’re missing an afford/waste justification…………………….

insurance4CarHire exclusion re value is/was as follows:

“The market value of the Rental Vehicle exceeds £120,000 at the start of the Rental Agreement”

Will that cover it? If not, what are you hiring??!?

Master
    All sorted now thanks.

In answer to Rodder - My issue was not in the price I would be paying but in finding an insurer who would cover a car worth in excess of £100k

OK..............I'll go first....

What car is it ? I'm genuinely intrigued...

Master
    A Porsche 992 cabriolet.

Nothing spectacular but we enjoy a sprint down the Autobahn and drive along the Alpenstrasse on our holidays.

The last time we did it was pre Covid so we thought we'd revisit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog View Post
    All sorted now thanks.

In answer to Rodder - My issue was not in the price I would be paying but in finding an insurer who would cover a car worth in excess of £100k
    Ok, there are so many new products I thought one of those might be insuring the excess

I’m currently sleeping in Stuttgart, we decided to drive to the in laws in Northern Italy this year and we are on the return leg. They certainly come up fast on parts of the Autobahn for sure!!! We re in an XC60 so very comfortable but not that fast!

As an aside Stuttgart has been a revelation, we spent the day here and my wife is thinking about relocating!

Master
    Never been to Stuttgart as I was warned about really heavy traffic there - sounds daft I know- but as I'd most likely be driving it made me think twice.

It sounds like you've had a good trip so far though. I'm sure there are merits to the comfort of an XC60 over those distances.

Anyone see the euro cycling today? The mountain roads south of Munich looked amazing, and I thought that looked a good place for a Grand Tour.

Just done 3 1/2 weeks touring in southern Germany and Austria including the Alpenstrasse
    It was fantastic
    Roads from Kossen and Reit im winkl down to Kitzbuhel we’re just awesome
    Done them in a carrera 4s years back, Audi Q2 now but it did 53.5mpg over 2650 miles��
    Last edited by GOAT; 15th August 2022 at 13:18.

I have used https://www.icarhireinsurance.com
    For the past decade, I legit have zero idea if they cover £100k cars, my level is VW Polo sadly. Might be worth a look.